Re: problems getting topo tiles

  • gnuarm
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 19, 2009
      I have lots of stuff downloaded in zone 17. If you want, I can send you a few files and you can see if the problem is downloading or viewing. If you can see the data in my files, then it is a downloading problem. If you can't, then it is a viewing problem.

      Are there any particular ares you would like me to send you? What latitude or file name?

      Rick

      --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "turbolader300" <scarolinian@...> wrote:

      > I have ver 2.77
      >
      > In utm zone 17 I have a problem downloading any tiles for 4 M/pixel topo maps east of approx 79.986 W until I get into utm zone 18. Basically I cannot see anything between Charleston, SC and Wilmington, NC. If I go to terraserver directly, the images are there, so I must have a setting wrong on my end. The aerial photos work fine as does the higher topo. I searched on here last night until I passed out, so I waited until this morning to approach this with a fresh head. I noticed people having problems with too many tiles in a row, but on this new install I am only in the hundreds (perhaps 3 counties wide to give some idea). I have about 120GB of free space for the drive with USAphotomaps right now. I love this program, and I would appreciate any info to get me going in the right direction.

    • turbolader300
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 20, 2009
        That sounds great! To also answer Doug in this reply, I use the topo to explore old railroad grades. Sometimes in the photos I get carried away and start to follow things like old telegraph pole right of ways. I have lots of old railroad maps, but they are not very detailed and often lack most of the dirt/rock/paved roads we use now. I could use an area bounded by

        N 34.170° W 79.238°
        N 35.059° W 78.886°
        N 35.209° W 79.936°
        N 34.068° W 79.951°

        but that is quite large, so I agree to start, a couple of rows as a test is a good idea. Any thing near...

        N 34.701015° W 79.938768°
        N 34° 42.0608' W 79° 56.3261'
        N 34° 42' 3.65" W 79° 56' 19.56"
        Easting 597,192 Northing 3,840,400 Zone 17
        a17y4800 x746 (the same as pressing the Q key)

        ...will work well.

        I also made 2 screenshots of the current problem just in case someone can spot something I am overlooking. I left the file sizes large enough so you can still read. One shot is near where I need. The other is near Charleston approx 150 to the south.

        http://www.doubledogracing.com/USAphotomaps/z17_cheraw.jpg
        http://www.doubledogracing.com/USAphotomaps/z17_char.jpg

        Thank you to both Rick and Doug. I was very happy I received same day replies with all this help.

        --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@...> wrote:

        > I have lots of stuff downloaded in zone 17. If you want, I can send you a few files and you can see if the problem is downloading or viewing. If you can see the data in my files, then it is a downloading problem. If you can't, then it is a viewing problem.
        >
        > Are there any particular ares you would like me to send you? What latitude or file name?
        >
        > Rick
      • gnuarm
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 20, 2009
          This may be a problem with the data. I see the same thing. I traced it up the coast and the missing data goes as far north as Franklin County, VA! Here are a couple of screen captures.

          http://arius.com/stuff/USAPhotoMaps/Charleston_SC.gif

          http://arius.com/stuff/USAPhotoMaps/Franklin_VA.gif

          The second image is the corner of the missing data. I traced it east to see if it goes all the way to the edge of the zone and it does. The edge of the missing data running East/West seems to be latitude related in that it is not parallel to the grid and is always around a latitude of 36.98 degrees. In the North South direction the edge of the missing data lies on a grid line, not a longitude line. Very odd!

          Is this really a huge hunk of data missing from the server? I expect we would have heard about this before. Does anyone have 4 meter topo images for any location in zone 17 that are East and South of N 36.96 W 79.91? If so, please post an example of the corresponding .dta and .ptr files.

          I might have some of this data from before, but it is a large area to search. It would be much easier if we had that capability to show the present high res topo data when in the low res view like the photo data has... ;^)

          Rick

          --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "turbolader300" <scarolinian@...> wrote:

          > That sounds great! To also answer Doug in this reply, I use the topo to explore old railroad grades. Sometimes in the photos I get carried away and start to follow things like old telegraph pole right of ways. I have lots of old railroad maps, but they are not very detailed and often lack most of the dirt/rock/paved roads we use now. I could use an area bounded by
          >
          > N 34.170° W 79.238°
          > N 35.059° W 78.886°
          > N 35.209° W 79.936°
          > N 34.068° W 79.951°
          >
          > but that is quite large, so I agree to start, a couple of rows as a test is a good idea. Any thing near...
          >
          > N 34.701015° W 79.938768°
          > N 34° 42.0608' W 79° 56.3261'
          > N 34° 42' 3.65" W 79° 56' 19.56"
          > Easting 597,192 Northing 3,840,400 Zone 17
          > a17y4800 x746 (the same as pressing the Q key)
          >
          > ...will work well.
          >
          > I also made 2 screenshots of the current problem just in case someone can spot something I am overlooking. I left the file sizes large enough so you can still read. One shot is near where I need. The other is near Charleston approx 150 to the south.
          >
          > http://www.doubledogracing.com/USAphotomaps/z17_cheraw.jpg
          > http://www.doubledogracing.com/USAphotomaps/z17_char.jpg
          >
          > Thank you to both Rick and Doug. I was very happy I received same day replies with all this help.
          >

          > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have lots of stuff downloaded in zone 17. If you want, I can send you a few files and you can see if the problem is downloading or viewing. If you can see the data in my files, then it is a downloading problem. If you can't, then it is a viewing problem.
          > >
          > > Are there any particular ares you would like me to send you? What latitude or file name?
          > >
          > > Rick

        • cr4130
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 20, 2009
            Yes, this data is missing, I noticed that a while back. There's also data missing northeast of Buffalo, NY and a bizarre mess of random missing individual tiles in northwestern Ohio/northeastern Indiana that looks like some pockmarked battlefield game.

            Henry