new map type?

  • Broncus
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 8, 2008
      Hi Doug,

      Every now and again I find it useful to not have a map displayed but to
      see data points that have been created.

      Maybe in addtion to Topo and Photo (regular and Urban) a blank page is
      possible. Currently, I use the Urban setting but as more Urban photos
      are made...

      BTW, I like the fade option.

      Best regards,
      Fred
    • Rick Collins
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 8, 2008
        --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Broncus" <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

        > Hi Doug,
        >
        > Every now and again I find it useful to not have a map displayed but to
        > see data points that have been created.
        >
        > Maybe in addtion to Topo and Photo (regular and Urban) a blank page is
        > possible. Currently, I use the Urban setting but as more Urban photos
        > are made...

        I use the urban setting too, but not because it is blank, but in spite
        of the fact. I just want more precision in measuring a waypoint. I
        think there is still no way to get the coordinates of a waypoint from
        USAPhotoMaps other than to use the cursor to measure it. Or have I
        missed a new feature?

        I'm not without forgetting things like this.

        Rick
      • Doug Cox
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 8, 2008
          Well, if I ever had the same desire as you I'd consider it, but I never did...

          Doug
          _________________________________

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 8, 2008
            I select Urban Area to get 1/4 meter/pixel for better measurement, too. You could open the waypoint file in Notepad and read the lat/lon there.

            Doug Cox
            _________________________________
            You wrote (Tue, 08 Jul 2008 17:08:50 -0000):

            --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Broncus" <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

            > Hi Doug,
            > > Every now and again I find it useful to not have a map displayed but to > see data points that have been created.
            > > Maybe in addtion to Topo and Photo (regular and Urban) a blank page is > possible. Currently, I use the Urban setting but as more Urban photos > are made...

            I use the urban setting too, but not because it is blank, but in spite
            of the fact. I just want more precision in measuring a waypoint. I
            think there is still no way to get the coordinates of a waypoint from
            USAPhotoMaps other than to use the cursor to measure it. Or have I
            missed a new feature?
            I'm not without forgetting things like this.
            Rick

            _________________________________
          • Marc
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 8, 2008
              Rick,

              It's not a feature, but you can just open the correct .XML waypoint file
              in the USAPhotoMaps directory and look at the coordinates there, load it
              right into notepad or another text editor.

              Each entry will look like this, with the latitude/longitude right at the
              beginning:

              <wpt lat="44.017367" lon="-75.916783">
              <name>GCTQPQ</name>
              <cmt>GCTQPQ geocache I-81 S. Parking Area by The Callaway Cadets</cmt>
              <desc>geocache I-81 S. Parking Area by The Callaway Cadets</desc>
              <cmt>GCTQPQ geocache I-81 S. Parking Area by The Callaway Cadets</cmt>
              </wpt>

              Marc

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 8, 2008
                --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, Marc <marc.yahoogroups@...> wrote:

                > Rick,
                >
                > It's not a feature, but you can just open the correct .XML
                waypoint file
                > in the USAPhotoMaps directory and look at the coordinates there,
                load it
                > right into notepad or another text editor.

                Yes, I am aware that I can read the files. But that is rather
                inconvenient compared to being able to see the coordinates via the
                program. There are controls to show you the name of the file with the
                image pointed to by the cursor (IIRC) as well as other commands that
                provide useful functions. I just find it odd that a mapping program
                only provides input to the waypoint database and not output to the user.

                I even offered once to do the work of making the changes to provide
                this info in the waypoint edit dialog. But even after I showed I was
                capable of making the changes, Doug didn't seem interested in sharing
                the .RC and other supporting files necessary to make the changes.

                For geocaching and the other stuff I use the program for, it would be
                nice if this feature was implemented. An example of a similar useful
                feature is to show the coordinates of the current cursor location
                using the X key. It just seems natural to provide the coordinate data
                for waypoints as well, sorta like symmetry in nuclear physics. :^)

                Rick
              • Rick Collins
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 8, 2008
                  --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Cox" <jdmcox@...> wrote:

                  > If you look at the top of USAPhotoMaps.cpp, you'll see that the .rc
                  , .h, and other required files are on my website.

                  > How about if I put the lat/lon of a waypoint on its Edit screen in
                  the Waypoint screen?

                  > Just don't expect "super symmetry."
                  >
                  > Doug Cox

                  That is awesome Doug! Back when we discussed this you had the .c file
                  available, but didn't provide the .h and .rc files. Thanks for
                  changing your mind. However, I am totally slammed with work at this
                  time. But when I get some free time, I will look at what it might
                  take to port to a more handheld unit.

                  On another note, there are some amazingly small PCs available. I
                  forget the generic name for them (maybe something boring like "small
                  form factor"), but they have a screen of 7" to 10" and will run for a
                  couple of hours on battery. Some use Flash drives others use standard
                  laptop drives (rather small though). In any event, these may make an
                  *excellent* portable platform for USAPM. Starting at $300 or so, they
                  aren't really any more than a high end PDA (but only slightly less
                  than a low end "real" laptop). So maybe it doesn't need to be ported.
                  Anyone know if USAPM runs under Linux?

                  Your offer of symmetry is appreciated. I would never ask for super
                  symmetry. I wouldn't want to risk the chance of a chain reaction or
                  finding a monopole in my PC.

                  Rick
                • Doug Cox

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 8, 2008
                      It runs in Linux using Wine.

                      _________________________________

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 9, 2008
                        Agreed, certainly would be a useful function and a major missing piece
                        to a great program.

                        Normally, with the default text editor I use which, has bookmarks
                        (Metapad), I have the main XML file I use bookmarked for quick access. It
                        provides a moderately quick kludge for accessing the exact coords.

                        I use it all the time to get past this limitation.

                        Rick Collins wrote:

                        > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com
                        > <mailto:USAphotomaps%40yahoogroups.com>, Marc <marc.yahoogroups@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Rick,
                        > >
                        > > It's not a feature, but you can just open the correct .XML
                        > waypoint file
                        > > in the USAPhotoMaps directory and look at the coordinates there,
                        > load it
                        > > right into notepad or another text editor.
                        >
                        > Yes, I am aware that I can read the files. But that is rather
                        > inconvenient compared to being able to see the coordinates via the
                        > program. There are controls to show you the name of the file with the
                        > image pointed to by the cursor (IIRC) as well as other commands that
                        > provide useful functions. I just find it odd that a mapping program
                        > only provides input to the waypoint database and not output to the user.
                        >
                        > I even offered once to do the work of making the changes to provide
                        > this info in the waypoint edit dialog. But even after I showed I was
                        > capable of making the changes, Doug didn't seem interested in sharing
                        > the .RC and other supporting files necessary to make the changes.
                        >
                        > For geocaching and the other stuff I use the program for, it would be
                        > nice if this feature was implemented. An example of a similar useful
                        > feature is to show the coordinates of the current cursor location
                        > using the X key. It just seems natural to provide the coordinate data
                        > for waypoints as well, sorta like symmetry in nuclear physics. :^)
                        >
                        > Rick

                      • John Sperr
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 9, 2008
                          The ability to see and tweak the lat/lon from the edit screen would be a
                          fine addition to an already great program.

                          John Sperr
                          Rhinebeck NY
                          http://www.hriyc.org

                          Doug Cox wrote:

                          > How about if I put the lat/lon of a waypoint on its Edit screen in the
                          > Waypoint screen?

                        • Doug Cox
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 9, 2008
                            I added the lat/lon to the Edit window of the Waypoint List window. It
                            was a little too hard to add tweaking to that routine. You'll have to
                            tweak a lat/lon either in the waypoint file in Notepad or by moving
                            the waypoint on the map with your mouse pointer.

                            Doug Cox

                            --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, John Sperr <jsperr@...> wrote:

                            > The ability to see and tweak the lat/lon from the edit screen would
                            be a
                            > fine addition to an already great program.
                            >
                            > John Sperr
                            > Rhinebeck NY
                            > http://www.hriyc.org
                          • Marc
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 10, 2008
                              Wow, I thank you for this addition, works great!

                              Marc