[USAphotomaps] Re:New Member - Introduction

  • Doug Cox
    Message 1 of 14 , May 3, 2008
      I added a _BETA_ SmartBeaconing routine to test it only (using previously saved PositionXX.csv files for simulated input).

      Doug Cox
      _________________________________
      You wrote (Tue, 29 Apr 2008 02:40:31 -0000):
      ---

      I am using USAPhotoMaps with the D710A in TNC mode. In this mode USAPhotoMaps sends a beacon command to the TNC every two minutes (if I understand the help file correctly) when the "send GPS lat/lon" is checked. I have also observed this behavior in using the software.

      Doug is there a way to override the "interval=2 minutes" setting when the "send GPS lat/lon" is checked by manually sending a command to the TNC? I tried sending a "BEACON EVERY xx" command, but that didn't send my GPS coordinates, it sent my "BTEXT=" instead.

      When the D710 is in "TNC mode" the "Packet Transmission Method = Manual, PTT, or Auto" (menu 611 in the D710) does not apply. This setting only only applies when the D710 is in "APRS mode" (At least that is my experience).

      Even if I could override the becon command USAPhotoMaps sends it would still be a "interval=x beacon", so if USAPhotoMaps had SmartBeaconing built in that would be super.
      _________________________________
    • egiandomenico
      Message 2 of 14 , May 3, 2008
        I installed the update and am testing SmartBeaconing on some
        previously saved *.csv files. It seems like a big improvementt. I
        will try to get some more testing in this weekend and will report
        back.

        --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Cox" <jdmcox@...> wrote:

        > I added a _BETA_ SmartBeaconing routine to test it only (using
        previously saved PositionXX.csv files for simulated input).

        > Doug Cox
        > _________________________________
        > You wrote (Tue, 29 Apr 2008 02:40:31 -0000):
        > ---
        >
        > I am using USAPhotoMaps with the D710A in TNC mode. In this mode
        USAPhotoMaps sends a beacon command to the TNC every two minutes (if
        I understand the help file correctly) when the "send GPS lat/lon" is
        checked. I have also observed this behavior in using the software.

        > Doug is there a way to override the "interval=2 minutes" setting
        when the "send GPS lat/lon" is checked by manually sending a command
        to the TNC? I tried sending a "BEACON EVERY xx" command, but that
        didn't send my GPS coordinates, it sent my "BTEXT=" instead.

        > When the D710 is in "TNC mode" the "Packet Transmission Method =
        Manual, PTT, or Auto" (menu 611 in the D710) does not apply. This
        setting only only applies when the D710 is in "APRS mode" (At least
        that is my experience).

        > Even if I could override the becon command USAPhotoMaps sends it
        would still be a "interval=x beacon", so if USAPhotoMaps had
        SmartBeaconing built in that would be super.
        > _________________________________

      • egiandomenico
        Message 3 of 14 , May 3, 2008
          I just did some "real world" testing of SmartBeaconing. This was the
          test.

          1.) I drove a route around my neighboorhood NOT using Smart
          Beaconing, (using fixed interval beaconing).
          2.) I drove the same route using SmartBeaconing default settings
          3.) I drove the same route using SmartBeaconing default setting
          except I changed the turn threshold to 20 degress.

          I posted screenshots of the results in a PowerPoint file under
          the "files" section of this group

          Ed
          KE7MWY

          --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "egiandomenico"
          <egiandomenico@...> wrote:

          > I installed the update and am testing SmartBeaconing on some
          > previously saved *.csv files. It seems like a big improvementt. I
          > will try to get some more testing in this weekend and will report
          > back.
          >

          > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Cox" <jdmcox@> wrote:
          > >

          > > I added a _BETA_ SmartBeaconing routine to test it only (using
          > previously saved PositionXX.csv files for simulated input).
          > >
          > > Doug Cox
          > > _________________________________
          > > You wrote (Tue, 29 Apr 2008 02:40:31 -0000):
          > > ---
          > >
          > > I am using USAPhotoMaps with the D710A in TNC mode. In this mode
          > USAPhotoMaps sends a beacon command to the TNC every two minutes
          (if
          > I understand the help file correctly) when the "send GPS lat/lon"
          is
          > checked. I have also observed this behavior in using the software.
          > >
          > > Doug is there a way to override the "interval=2 minutes" setting
          > when the "send GPS lat/lon" is checked by manually sending a
          command
          > to the TNC? I tried sending a "BEACON EVERY xx" command, but that
          > didn't send my GPS coordinates, it sent my "BTEXT=" instead.
          > >
          > > When the D710 is in "TNC mode" the "Packet Transmission Method =
          > Manual, PTT, or Auto" (menu 611 in the D710) does not apply. This
          > setting only only applies when the D710 is in "APRS mode" (At least
          > that is my experience).
          > >
          > > Even if I could override the becon command USAPhotoMaps sends it
          > would still be a "interval=x beacon", so if USAPhotoMaps had
          > SmartBeaconing built in that would be super.
          > > _________________________________

        • Doug Cox
          Message 4 of 14 , May 3, 2008
            Looks good!

            I just now put a slightly improved version/date (well, new file, same version/date) on my website.

            I still need to make the default SmartBeaconing settings the user's saved settings instead of the program's default settings.

            Doug Cox
            _________________________________

            Message 5 of 14 , May 3, 2008
              1.) I noticed the "FCC Call Sign" field data (my call sign) in
              the "Setup to Transmit Location" dialogue information is not
              retained.

              2.) You may notice on "Slide 3" of the PowerPoint file, there is a
              turn in the upper left hand corner that was missed (no point
              created). This is actually the bug I mentioned in a previous post.
              It does not have anything to do with SmartBeaconing I just thought I
              would mention it since you can see it clearly on the screenshot. This
              is the bug: There actually was a point created there but it
              dissapeared a couple of seconds after it was created.

              3.) Retaining the users settings will be a great improvement.

              4.) I am curious what the "slight improvements" were. I have not
              downloaded the new version yet.

              5.) I created an Excel spreadsheet to help in figuring out the
              optimum SmartBeaconing settings for my use. I posted it to
              the "files" area of the group with the default values you used.

              Wow What a difference - The SmartBeaconing really is nice, big
              improvement over fixed intervals. Thank you!

              Ed
              KE7MWY

              --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Cox" <jdmcox@...> wrote:

              > Looks good!
              >
              > I just now put a slightly improved version/date (well, new file,
              same version/date) on my website.

              > I still need to make the default SmartBeaconing settings the user's
              saved settings instead of the program's default settings.

              > Doug Cox
              > _________________________________
              > You wrote (Sun, 04 May 2008 02:53:53 -0000):
              >
              > I just did some "real world" testing of SmartBeaconing. This was
              the test.

              > 1.) I drove a route around my neighboorhood NOT using Smart
              Beaconing, (using fixed interval beaconing).
              > 2.) I drove the same route using SmartBeaconing default settings
              > 3.) I drove the same route using SmartBeaconing default setting
              except I changed the turn threshold to 20 degress.

              > I posted screenshots of the results in a PowerPoint file under
              the "files" section of this group

              > Ed
              > KE7MWY

            • egiandomenico
              Message 6 of 14 , May 4, 2008
                I noticed two bugs in v277 (May 4):

                1.) APRS>Data Transmissions
                The data transmissions page no longer works in APRS mode.

                2.) APRS beconing does not work unless GPS>Position>Show Position
                is "on"
                Beacons are not sent unless "GPS Show Position" is "ON"