Re:New Member - Introduction

  • egiandomenico
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 29 8:41 PM
      Excellent. Smart Beaconing will be great. There may be some occasions
      where fixed interval beconing is also desireable so you may want to
      leave that feature on also and perhaps add the ability to allow users
      to set the value of "becon every = x"

      --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Cox" <jdmcox@...> wrote:

      > Right now, GPS position in USAPhotoMaps is only sent to the TNC
      every two minutes.

      > I intend to add SmartBeaconing, with all the choices of speed and
      timing (and turn_min and turn_slope, whatever they mean (I'm hoping
      to get clarification from the authors)) that it includes.

      > I'm glad to see another APRS user.
      >
      > Doug Cox
      > _________________________________
      > You wrote (Tue, 29 Apr 2008 02:40:31 -0000):
      >
      > I am using USAPhotoMaps with the D710A in TNC mode. In this mode
      USAPhotoMaps sends a beacon command to the TNC every two minutes (if
      I understand the help file correctly) when the "send GPS lat/lon" is
      checked. I have also observed this behavior in using the software.

      > Doug is there a way to override the "interval=2 minutes" setting
      when the "send GPS lat/lon" is checked by manually sending a command
      to the TNC? I tried sending a "BEACON EVERY xx" command, but that
      didn't send my GPS coordinates, it sent my "BTEXT=" instead.

      > When the D710 is in "TNC mode" the "Packet Transmission Method =
      Manual, PTT, or Auto" (menu 611 in the D710) does not apply. This
      setting only only applies when the D710 is in "APRS mode" (At least
      that is my experience).

      > Even if I could override the becon command USAPhotoMaps sends it
      would still be a "interval=x beacon", so if USAPhotoMaps had
      SmartBeaconing built in that would be super.
      > _________________________________

    • Doug Cox
      Message 2 of 14 , May 3, 2008
        I added a _BETA_ SmartBeaconing routine to test it only (using previously saved PositionXX.csv files for simulated input).

        Doug Cox
        _________________________________
        ---

        Message 3 of 14 , May 3, 2008
          I installed the update and am testing SmartBeaconing on some
          previously saved *.csv files. It seems like a big improvementt. I
          will try to get some more testing in this weekend and will report
          back.

          --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Cox" <jdmcox@...> wrote:

          > I added a _BETA_ SmartBeaconing routine to test it only (using
          previously saved PositionXX.csv files for simulated input).

          > Doug Cox
          > _________________________________
          > You wrote (Tue, 29 Apr 2008 02:40:31 -0000):
          > ---
          >
          > I am using USAPhotoMaps with the D710A in TNC mode. In this mode
          USAPhotoMaps sends a beacon command to the TNC every two minutes (if
          I understand the help file correctly) when the "send GPS lat/lon" is
          checked. I have also observed this behavior in using the software.

          > Doug is there a way to override the "interval=2 minutes" setting
          when the "send GPS lat/lon" is checked by manually sending a command
          to the TNC? I tried sending a "BEACON EVERY xx" command, but that
          didn't send my GPS coordinates, it sent my "BTEXT=" instead.

          > When the D710 is in "TNC mode" the "Packet Transmission Method =
          Manual, PTT, or Auto" (menu 611 in the D710) does not apply. This
          setting only only applies when the D710 is in "APRS mode" (At least
          that is my experience).

          > Even if I could override the becon command USAPhotoMaps sends it
          would still be a "interval=x beacon", so if USAPhotoMaps had
          SmartBeaconing built in that would be super.
          > _________________________________

        • egiandomenico
          Message 4 of 14 , May 3, 2008
            I just did some "real world" testing of SmartBeaconing. This was the
            test.

            1.) I drove a route around my neighboorhood NOT using Smart
            Beaconing, (using fixed interval beaconing).
            2.) I drove the same route using SmartBeaconing default settings
            3.) I drove the same route using SmartBeaconing default setting
            except I changed the turn threshold to 20 degress.

            I posted screenshots of the results in a PowerPoint file under
            the "files" section of this group

            Ed
            KE7MWY

            --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "egiandomenico"
            <egiandomenico@...> wrote:

            > I installed the update and am testing SmartBeaconing on some
            > previously saved *.csv files. It seems like a big improvementt. I
            > will try to get some more testing in this weekend and will report
            > back.
            >

            > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Cox" <jdmcox@> wrote:
            > >

            > > I added a _BETA_ SmartBeaconing routine to test it only (using
            > previously saved PositionXX.csv files for simulated input).
            > >
            > > Doug Cox
            > > _________________________________
            > > You wrote (Tue, 29 Apr 2008 02:40:31 -0000):
            > > ---
            > >
            > > I am using USAPhotoMaps with the D710A in TNC mode. In this mode
            > USAPhotoMaps sends a beacon command to the TNC every two minutes
            (if
            > I understand the help file correctly) when the "send GPS lat/lon"
            is
            > checked. I have also observed this behavior in using the software.
            > >
            > > Doug is there a way to override the "interval=2 minutes" setting
            > when the "send GPS lat/lon" is checked by manually sending a
            command
            > to the TNC? I tried sending a "BEACON EVERY xx" command, but that
            > didn't send my GPS coordinates, it sent my "BTEXT=" instead.
            > >
            > > When the D710 is in "TNC mode" the "Packet Transmission Method =
            > Manual, PTT, or Auto" (menu 611 in the D710) does not apply. This
            > setting only only applies when the D710 is in "APRS mode" (At least
            > that is my experience).
            > >
            > > Even if I could override the becon command USAPhotoMaps sends it
            > would still be a "interval=x beacon", so if USAPhotoMaps had
            > SmartBeaconing built in that would be super.
            > > _________________________________

          • Doug Cox
            Message 5 of 14 , May 3, 2008
              Looks good!

              I just now put a slightly improved version/date (well, new file, same version/date) on my website.

              I still need to make the default SmartBeaconing settings the user's saved settings instead of the program's default settings.

              Doug Cox
              _________________________________

              Message 6 of 14 , May 3, 2008
                1.) I noticed the "FCC Call Sign" field data (my call sign) in
                the "Setup to Transmit Location" dialogue information is not
                retained.

                2.) You may notice on "Slide 3" of the PowerPoint file, there is a
                turn in the upper left hand corner that was missed (no point
                created). This is actually the bug I mentioned in a previous post.
                It does not have anything to do with SmartBeaconing I just thought I
                would mention it since you can see it clearly on the screenshot. This
                is the bug: There actually was a point created there but it
                dissapeared a couple of seconds after it was created.

                3.) Retaining the users settings will be a great improvement.

                4.) I am curious what the "slight improvements" were. I have not
                downloaded the new version yet.

                5.) I created an Excel spreadsheet to help in figuring out the
                optimum SmartBeaconing settings for my use. I posted it to
                the "files" area of the group with the default values you used.

                Wow What a difference - The SmartBeaconing really is nice, big
                improvement over fixed intervals. Thank you!

                Ed
                KE7MWY

                --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Cox" <jdmcox@...> wrote:

                > Looks good!
                >
                > I just now put a slightly improved version/date (well, new file,
                same version/date) on my website.

                > I still need to make the default SmartBeaconing settings the user's
                saved settings instead of the program's default settings.

                > Doug Cox
                > _________________________________
                > You wrote (Sun, 04 May 2008 02:53:53 -0000):
                >
                > I just did some "real world" testing of SmartBeaconing. This was
                the test.

                > 1.) I drove a route around my neighboorhood NOT using Smart
                Beaconing, (using fixed interval beaconing).
                > 2.) I drove the same route using SmartBeaconing default settings
                > 3.) I drove the same route using SmartBeaconing default setting
                except I changed the turn threshold to 20 degress.

                > I posted screenshots of the results in a PowerPoint file under
                the "files" section of this group

                > Ed
                > KE7MWY

              • egiandomenico
                Message 7 of 14 , May 4, 2008
                  I noticed two bugs in v277 (May 4):

                  1.) APRS>Data Transmissions
                  The data transmissions page no longer works in APRS mode.

                  2.) APRS beconing does not work unless GPS>Position>Show Position
                  is "on"
                  Beacons are not sent unless "GPS Show Position" is "ON"