Re: USAPM -STILL- Refuses to Connect to GPS on Laptop

  • gps_greg
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1 6:34 PM
      It would seem that if one external device can work through a port
      (both ports actually) under USAPM that there should not be such a
      conflict.
      Just to check, I did change the comm port for "USB-to-Serial Comm
      Port" to 40 as well as a number of others.
      Most of them got "Couldn't open comm port" and then "The Comm Port
      doesn't seem to be valid."
      The ports that don't get those error messages still do not connect and
      result in hang that requires task manager to stop.
      And more BS'sOD

      There may be something about the Garmin GPSMap76 as the desktop with
      USAPM is not a big fan of connecting through an actual serial port to
      it either.

      Now, enough about this.
      I do have a workaround that works, it's just that I am curious.

      --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Cox" <jdmcox@...> wrote:

      > You didn't respond to my:
      > "USAPhotoMaps can't share a comm port. I'd bet those other programs
      > can (and do)." This seems like the obvious problem. TouchPads on
      most laptops use a virtual serial port, for example.
      > I also should have mentioned that I don't think IRQ's can be shared
      by USAPhotoMaps, either. IRQ's are used by comm ports and by most
      hardware components on a computer.

      > And you also never said that you tried changing the virtual port
      that your usb/serial cable used with your computer. This is the
      obvious first thing to change. You could set it to anything you like
      (like comm port 40, which should rule out sharing conflicts).

      > Doug Cox
    • Scott
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1 9:47 PM
        I also am having trouble connecting to my Garmin through my laptop.
        The laptop is an IBM T43P, running XP. The GPS is a Garmin Colorado,
        gps connection. I set the protocol to Garmin USB, and tried the
        various comm ports. It keeps telling me that the GPS doesn't appear to
        be attached. It is attached since I can see it in windows explorer. I
        have the Mapsource program up and have no problem connecting there, so
        I'm pretty sure it's not the computer or the gps.
        Is there any way to save the waypoint file to the computer drive in a
        format that can be read by mapsource or the gps directly? If I could
        do that, or open it in Mapsource, I could then get it to the gps
        outside of USAphotomaps.
      • alancurtis2
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 29, 2008
          I have a brand new garman colorado 400t and I also can't seem to work
          the magic to get it to talk to usaphotomaps. I din't see greg here get
          his setup working on the laptop, but it does seem like his desktop was
          working for him, so I believe this is possible yet...

          Previously, I've use a magellan sporttrak pro, so I'm not familiar with
          all the USB options. When I'm connected to the Garmmin with Mapsource
          I do not see any comm ports listed in device manager, like I did when
          using the peice of junk magellan triton that I owned for 12 hours
          before sending it back.

          Do baud, or ports matter once you set "garmin usb" in the usb protocol?
          I can see the two disk flash drives of the garmin that appear when I
          hook up the usb - one does not let me look at it with explorer, and the
          other appears to be the pre-progammed SD card I put in the unit (so I
          backed it up to my hard drive just in case!)

          Any suggestions for what settings I need to tweak?

          IBM/lenovo thinkpad T60. XP SP2....

          alan
        • Kurt Savegnago
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 29, 2008
            If I might interject. I find with the Garmin stuff,
            one needs to select NMEA on the setup "interface"
            to work with a lot of devices or computer hardware.
            If the particular GPS doesn't allow one to do that,
            the device will probably not work.

            I plugged my Etrex Vista Csx into my laptop and it
            would ONLY communicate with the Garmin software.
            There was NO option in the Vista Csx to change the
            output into any other format. When I bought the
            GPS Gate program, I could use the receiver/antenna
            in the Vista Csx to interface with other programs
            including USAPhoto Maps. GPS Gate translated the
            proprietary Garmin output into NMEA.
            Now, a fair number of Garmin units DO allow the user
            to change the interface to NMEA and a bunch of other
            modes. If that is the case, as long as one can select
            that option, they'll be all right.

            In your Colorado, you need to go into the interface
            and change from the GARMIN interface to NMEA. If you
            do that, it will work. If that option is not
            available, you'll have to get something like GPS Gate.
            You also have to remember, if you want to plug back
            into the Garmin software, you'll have to change the
            protocol back to the GARMIN in order for the unit to
            communicate with their program.

            Kurt Savegnago
            --- Doug Cox <jdmcox@...> wrote:

            > You forgot to say "I've read and understand the
            > User's Manual concerning Connecting Your Colorado to
            > a Computer, and have done everything they say
            > there."
            >
            > Doug Cox
            > _________________________________
            > You wrote (Fri, 29 Aug 2008 13:39:42 -0000):
            >
            > I have a brand new garman colorado 400t and I also
            > can't seem to work the magic to get it to talk to
            > usaphotomaps. I din't see greg here get his setup
            > working on the laptop, but it does seem like his
            > desktop was working for him, so I believe this is
            > possible yet...
            >
            > Previously, I've use a magellan sporttrak pro, so
            > I'm not familiar with all the USB options. When I'm
            > connected to the Garmmin with Mapsource I do not see
            > any comm ports listed in device manager, like I did
            > when using the peice of junk magellan triton that I
            > owned for 12 hours before sending it back.
            >
            > Do baud, or ports matter once you set "garmin usb"
            > in the usb protocol?
            > I can see the two disk flash drives of the garmin
            > that appear when I hook up the usb - one does not
            > let me look at it with explorer, and the other
            > appears to be the pre-progammed SD card I put in the
            > unit (so I backed it up to my hard drive just in
            > case!)
            >
            > Any suggestions for what settings I need to tweak?
            >
            > IBM/lenovo thinkpad T60. XP SP2....
            >
            > alan
            >
            > _________________________________

          • Doug Cox

              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 29, 2008
                Yes, i did, so let me state that and more...
                "I've read and understand the User's Manual concerning Connecting Your Colorado to a Computer, and have done everything they
                say there."

                I can exchange waypoints, routes, tracks using the MapSource that came with the unit.
                Further, since I was worried the colorado might have some new wacky protocol, I downloaded EasyGPS, and I can exchange waypoints,
                routes, tracks with this as well.

                I can bounce between MapSource and EasyGPS without any apparent issues.
                If I reboot and try USAPM first, it says my USB Garmin doesn't appear to be connected
                If I reboot, and try one or more of the above programs, quit them, then start USAPM, same no joy
                If I try running USAPM while those programs are up, same no joy.

                I've tried "simplifing" my USB infrastructure by removed the portable usb drive that I was running USAPM from (it was G:, Garmin is
                E: for the "main" and F: for the SD card (I conclude since an unaccessable F: shows up when the card is out). Running USAPM from
                c:/programs/usaphotomaps doesn't seem to change anything

                I've tried with and without the SD card in the Garmin.
                I've tried hitting "receive" (of GPS->waypoints) at various stages of "connecting" and even the timing is always the same -
                instantly the "not connected" message.

                Does USAPM have to search through some USB heirarchy tree to find my Garmin? Could the "tree" be somehow too complex on this T60?

                Could it's dual CPUs matter?

                HW managers sees (as far as I can tell) only two devices for this:
                1) Garmin Colorado Flash USB device
                2) Garmin Coloardo SD USB device

                They both appear in "view by connection" as "generic volume" under their respective title above.
                The above 1) and 2) are both conneced under different "USB Mass Storage Device" entries
                which are them selves under the same USB Root Hub, which is under Intel(R) 82801G(ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA,
                which is under PCI bus.

                I can use windows explorer to explore the SD USB, but get prompted for what program to open it with if I attempt to "explore" the
                Flash USB device - e:

                alan
              • Kurt Savegnago
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 29, 2008
                  Whew Alan,

                  Looks like you tried about everything.
                  Maybe download GPS Diag:

                  http://www.download.com/GPSDiag/3000-2130_4-10055902.html

                  If this program can see the datastream coming into
                  your laptop, USAPM should be able to use it.

                  My Etrex Vista Csx works fine with the GPS Gate
                  software. GPS diag shows that datastream coming in
                  once I set the right com port in it.

                  Best of Luck,
                  Kurt Savegnago
                • Doug Cox
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 29, 2008
                    Do you have the latest USAPhotoMaps? I made a small fix in the USB routine in it.

                    Doug Cox
                    _________________________________

                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 29, 2008
                      Doug: I'm running 2.77 july 9 2008, which in my read is what's current
                      on your web page...

                      Kirt: I downloaded an eval copy of USBtrace and I sure see babling
                      stuff when the Garmin is connected (and not when not).

                      You mention again this phrase "once I set the right com port in it".

                      I see no com ports in my device manger at anytime. I've confirmed I'm
                      not insane by plugging in my old usb->serial adapter (that I used with
                      the sporttrak pro) and then "com ports" appears, and that appears as
                      com4.

                      Does the com port setting in USAPM mean anything when using USB Garmin?
                      How do I find out which one it is (short of the long way 99 bottles of
                      port on the wall game)?

                      alan
                    • Lou
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 29, 2008
                        If you can connect to MapSource on your computer, see what com port is used.   Then set the one in USAPhotoMaps to the same number.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 30, 2008
                          The com port (and baud) are only for serial communication (not USB).

                          Doug Cox

                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 30, 2008
                            Could you send me a file (or files) that USBTrace writes when you download data from your GPS? Then I can see how the "babling stuff" differs from data downloaded from my Garmin GPS 96.

                            Doug Cox

                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 30, 2008
                              That USBTrace program doesn't seem to let any other program use USB when it's running, so it's useless.

                              You say, "it says my USB Garmin doesn't appear to be connected". This statement won't show if you've selected Garmin USB as the Protocol (which of course you must do), and your GPS is connected (and running).

                              Doug Cox