Re: Zones and other questions..

  • gnuarm
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 13, 2013
      Hi Deep,

      This depends on what you are trying to do. I don't think the tool makers anticipated that anyone would try to download entire zones of data. Normally users want an area around where they live or along a path they are driving or flying. The USAPM tool lets you download a screen at a time, but the Terrafetcher lets you download data two ways. One is an area bounded by a polygon. The other is a path of specified width along a set of points.

      Last year when we were trying to download the entire US map database (and succeeded) we created a number of files defining parts of the various zones. If you look at the map on the home page of this group you can see how the zones were apportioned to various downloaders. If you look at zone 10 you will see Al's section which was likely done as four separate region files, IIRC.

      BTW, the one part of the map that I never got confirmation on was Patrick's portion in zone 13. He said he donwloaded it, but he is not part of this group and never gave me the DVDs with the data. I guess I'll need to do that myself to make sure we have the entire database... just in case Microsoft decides to take it down again.

      If you would like region files for any of this, let me know. I can provide them for you. I got pretty good at producing them with a spread sheet for the rectangular parts of the zones. The coastal areas are a bit more work if you want to save download time.

      Rick

      PS Sorry for the multiple messages, I made a couple of mistakes...

      --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "deeply_shrouded" wrote:

      > OK, I already see what the zones are, but how do you know you have
      > a complete zone? Is there a list of rows? I do see at times a white
      > border by some tiles, I guess this indicates the edge of a zone.
      > I take it the white borders are the answer? I should start downloading
      > zone 10 sometime this weekend. I may try using Terrafetcher to try that.

    • deeply_shrouded
      Message 2 of 8 , May 4, 2013
        Hi Rick,
        Yes, the zone files would be helpful thank you. I've started downloading today, so not sure where I am yet.
        I know I'm in WA because I do see my location.
        I started at 49 degress 124 degrees roughly and am working my
        way down to 48. I have UTM on so slowly downloading that way.

        Message 3 of 8 , May 5, 2013
          I am up to my ears in work at the moment. I should be more free in two weeks or so. Give me a shout here or directly then and I'll dig them up for you.

          It is not hard to make a zone file for a given area. If you read the help in USAPM he gives info on an easy way to do a given rectangle using USAPM to help draw it on the map.

          Either way, the existing zone files will be a help.

          Rick

          Message 4 of 8 , May 6, 2013
            So far my lowest row is 26300.
            How do you know when you have the whole region?
            Also, how do you know the widths? The white borders on the left/right sides?

            Message 5 of 8 , May 20, 2013
              Yes, the right and left edges usually have a border of white. The width of the border varies and sometimes is not really visible. Beyond the border you will get the "blank" tiles which look a bit like ocean waves.

              Same at the top and bottom although sometimes the map just ends at the top with no border. I have even seen small parts of the US missing at the Canadian border.

              What area are you downloading? I can look for the coordinate files we created some time back.

              Message 6 of 8 , May 21, 2013
                Downloading Zone 10. So far so good. My net connection is slower than
                maple syrup on a cold January day, so it's taking time.
                So far, as of right now, my top row is Z10 27167 and my lowest row
                is Z10 22000. with the left/right being 125.000 - 120.000.
                So far it looks like I'm getting everything. As I said, slow going.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 6, 2013
                  Well, I do believe I'm done with Zone 10.
                  My lowest row is now z10y19065.
                  My highest row is now z10y27167.
                  Total rows,8102, border to border on each side.
                  Will start Zone 11 soon.