Re: [USAphotomaps] Garmin GPS III connection problems

  • John Sperr
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 18, 2012
      Seems like it should work -- maybe the serial chip in the GPS got zapped
      and is not responding.

      Perhaps try setting Garmin mode and 4800 baud in USAPhotomaps.

      Did you try NMEA mode with both ends set at 4800 baud?

      John A Sperr
      PO Box 573
      Rhinebeck NY 12572-0573
      http://www.hriyc.org

      On 6/17/2012 12:52 AM, herph wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I have acquired an old Garmin GPS III (software 2.05) and I can't get
      > it to talk to USAPM like my old 12XL does. Has anyone had any trouble
      > with this model specifically?
      >
      > I'm on Vista using a Prolific USB to Serial converter which works well
      > with my 12XL on all programs including USAPM and seems to work fine to
      > transfer data from the GPS III to Google Earth. I've set USAPM to the
      > COM port indicated in Device Manager and set the baud and protocol in
      > USAPM to 9600 and Garmin. On the GPS III I set the protocol to Garmin,
      > but it gives no indication or control of the baud rate. I set the GPS
      > III to Host. When I try to send or receive waypoints from USAPM
      > nothing happens and I don't get an error message, however if I try to
      > send data to Google Earth afterwards, I get an error from GE, which
      > indicates to me that USAPM is somehow locking up the port. If I shut
      > down USAPM, then I can send to GE again.
      >
      > Thanks

    • herph
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 19, 2012
        Hi John,

        Thanks for responding. Yes I tried that and still nothing. Strangely, it works fine with Google Earth and Easy GPS (the only other programs I tried). It's a little slower than my 12XL, but ultimately the data transfers both in and out to them. It just seems to be an issue with USAPM.

        BH

        --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, John Sperr <jsperr@...> wrote:

        > Seems like it should work -- maybe the serial chip in the GPS got zapped
        > and is not responding.
        >
        > Perhaps try setting Garmin mode and 4800 baud in USAPhotomaps.
        >
        > Did you try NMEA mode with both ends set at 4800 baud?
      • Fred Hillhouse
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 26, 2012
          The best thing to do would be to start from a terminal application. This allows you to see actual characters. they may be formed correctly thus indicating the proper baud rate, etc. Or they may be malformed and that tells you settings are wrong. Then afterwards, go for connecting to whatever application is needing the GPS.

          First off, in the GPS go got the interface page and select NMEA. The baud rate may default to 4800. In may also be call NMEA In/Out or something similar. This is the only mode that works with the usual map application.

          GARMIN is a special protocol. It does provide the same information but most developers don't use it for general navigation. It is mostly used for reading/writing waypoints/tracks/routes. I do have one application that uses the GARMIN protocol for navigation but only one.

          Next fire up your terminal software. Set the baud rate to 4800 and no handshaking. You will need to also select the port the GPS will be connected to. You will have to look at your device settings to determine this if you are using a USB/RS232 adapter. With an adapter, if you move it to another USB port, the COM port may change. Also, even thought the COM port may be assigned to COM9 for example, you can change it somewhere in the driver section.

          What I stated above is a typical setup. I haven't connect a GPS to USAPhotomaps in a long time so I don't remember the options. Also, I can't help with the GE interface.

          Best regards,
          Fred, N7FMH

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 30 3:02 PM
            Thanks for your thoughts. I was able to do a "work-around" that might be of general interest. It seems that you can just rename the .xml files that USAPM creates to .gpx and open them with EasyGPS. Since my unit talks to EasyGPS, I can get them in that way. Specifically, I make a new map location and create waypoints in it. USAPM makes a .xml file with the name of of the map location which contains my waypoints. I rename that to .gpx and open it in EasyGPS and then upload all or some of those waypoints to my gps via Easy GPS.