Re: [USAphotomaps] Re: Hard drives

  • erikjj@hushmail.com

      FYI - the website (M$'s) was up all day and night yesterday - 5/5,
      and again today, 5/6. the website says it is down as of 5/1st, but
      TF and USAPM are working.

      Don't know what that means for the future...

      Boib

      On Sat, 05 May 2012 11:25:07 -0500 gnuarm <gnuarm.2006@...>
      wrote:
      >Sending the drive around to the downloaders can be a useful thing,
      >but I don't think anyone is proposing doing that for the community
      >at large. Am I wrong? Are some thinking that when someone new
      >wants the data they will ship a drive to one of us and we will
      >copy the data and return it?
      >
      >As to selling the data and other distribution methods and
      >Microsoft's interest in it, they have none. The web page that is
      >now down specifically said the information was not theirs but
      >rather belonged to USGS and was freely available. After all, they
      >can't own something that was produced by the US government.
      >
      >Rick
      >

      >--- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "lupitacox" <jdmcox@...>
      >wrote:
      >>
      >> I can see that the way the Group is going is toward a 2
      >Terrabyte hard drive that would be mailed to a USAPhotoMaps user.
      >I'm guessing that the total data that USAPhotoMaps could use would
      >fit in 2 Terrabytes because it doesn't use all the different map
      >sizes that the Microsoft websited used.
      >>
      >> I'm also guessing that you guys who worked on getting all this
      >data will send a hard drive around to each other in order to add
      >everyone's data to it, and then will send it around again so you
      >each can make a copy of it.
      >>
      >> As the developer of USAPhotoMaps, I should say that I have no
      >objection to supplying the data on a hard drive as the solution to
      >distribution, and to the probable result of these hard drives
      >being sold (probably on eBay) for the cost of the hard drive plus
      >the cost of putting the data on them. However, I don't know what
      >Microsoft might think about the idea of other people selling their
      >data. I'd guess that the general price of these hard drives with
      >the data on them would come to be determined by the least amount
      >that a seller would accept for his. But someone should check with
      >Microsoft.

    • gnuarm
      Message 2 of 7 , May 6, 2012
        Go figure. It is still up. Not only that, but I found using the map on the main page will let you easily see what areas have Urban photos available. The darkest of the three colors indicates the availability of Urban photos.

        Rick

        --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, erikjj@... wrote:

        > FYI - the website (M$'s) was up all day and night yesterday - 5/5,
        > and again today, 5/6. the website says it is down as of 5/1st, but
        > TF and USAPM are working.
        >
        > Don't know what that means for the future...
        >
        > Boib
        >
        > On Sat, 05 May 2012 11:25:07 -0500 gnuarm <gnuarm.2006@...>
        > wrote:
        > >Sending the drive around to the downloaders can be a useful thing,
        > >but I don't think anyone is proposing doing that for the community
        > >at large. Am I wrong? Are some thinking that when someone new
        > >wants the data they will ship a drive to one of us and we will
        > >copy the data and return it?
        > >
        > >As to selling the data and other distribution methods and
        > >Microsoft's interest in it, they have none. The web page that is
        > >now down specifically said the information was not theirs but
        > >rather belonged to USGS and was freely available. After all, they
        > >can't own something that was produced by the US government.
        > >
        > >Rick
        > >

        > >--- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "lupitacox" <jdmcox@>
        > >wrote:
        > >>
        > >> I can see that the way the Group is going is toward a 2
        > >Terrabyte hard drive that would be mailed to a USAPhotoMaps user.
        > >I'm guessing that the total data that USAPhotoMaps could use would
        > >fit in 2 Terrabytes because it doesn't use all the different map
        > >sizes that the Microsoft websited used.
        > >>
        > >> I'm also guessing that you guys who worked on getting all this
        > >data will send a hard drive around to each other in order to add
        > >everyone's data to it, and then will send it around again so you
        > >each can make a copy of it.
        > >>
        > >> As the developer of USAPhotoMaps, I should say that I have no
        > >objection to supplying the data on a hard drive as the solution to
        > >distribution, and to the probable result of these hard drives
        > >being sold (probably on eBay) for the cost of the hard drive plus
        > >the cost of putting the data on them. However, I don't know what
        > >Microsoft might think about the idea of other people selling their
        > >data. I'd guess that the general price of these hard drives with
        > >the data on them would come to be determined by the least amount
        > >that a seller would accept for his. But someone should check with
        > >Microsoft.

      • Timothy Barney
        Message 3 of 7 , May 6, 2012
          Yeah, I started downloading again, picking up on zones 14 and 15 hi-res B&W.

          Tim