Re: Washington DC Urban Region Files (fixing them) AND my current status

  • John T
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 30 9:24 PM
      Tim;

      Glad you got a lot more areas than you 'signed up for'! I didn't get all the areas in 18 and 19 that I wanted, so I will be looking for those in the future. I know you and a few others have that area covered, so I'm happy.

      I guess my provider wasn't as fast I'd hoped, between here and work, but I think I got all I took on plus a little more. I'll have to put it together, it's on three different machines.

      John T

      --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Barney" <tbarney@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Zones 3-9 (Alaska & Hawaii) all available imagery (no urban and pockets of B&W only in zones 5-6 Alaska - no full B&W coverage)
      >
      > Zones 10-15 All Topo imagery (both resolutions), all low res B&W, and all Urban (both resolutions)
      >
      > Zones 16-19 All available imagery (full zones)
      >
      > Zone 20 (Puerto Rico) all available imagery (no urban or topo)
      >
      > Burned as:
      >

      > Zones 3-9 and 16-20 are burnt to BR discs, zones 10-15 are still on the HD
      >
      > Zones 3-9 approx 41gig (2 BR discs)
      >
      > Zones 10-15 approx 341gig (on HD)
      >
      > Zone 16 approx 261gig (12 BR discs)
      >
      > Zone 17 approx 225gig (10 BR and 1 DVD)
      >
      > Zone 18 approx 75gig (4 BR discs)
      >
      > Zone 19 and 20 approx 30.5gig(2 BR discs)
      >

      > Tim
      >
      > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Unless I get a chance to bang on this tomorrow, you will be able to see such corruption in the DC urban files. The problem was because my wireless link was flakey. It didn't happen with better locations. It had nothing to do with starting or stopping the download manually. Unfortunately there is a lot of it in about half the DC urban photos, but for the most part they are not frequent.
      > >
      > > I got all the holes filled in and if the server is still up tomorrow I'll try cleaning up these files. But it is a lot of manual work. Hmmm... Redmond is in Pacific time zone, so I guess the server might not go down until 3 AM local time or possibly 11 AM my local time when someone comes into work at 8 AM and pulls the plug? I hope he sleeps late...
      > >
      > > Rick
      > >

      > > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, Barry Lankford <BarryL@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > From my experience, corrupted data doesn't occur while "filling" with
      > > > USAPM, so I think the data does download without errors as you expected. I
      > > > don't think I've ever seen bad data just appear on the USAPM screen while
      > > > filling. But, sometimes when I hit "stop downloading" during a fill when
      > > > I've got what I needed and don't want to wait for the entire screen to
      > > > fill, several types of corruption can happen. The bad data usually doesn't
      > > > appear until I've done something to cause the sceen to be refreshed, such
      > > > as zooming to data of a different resolution or scrolling a long ways and
      > > > back. Anything that doesn't allow USAPM to refill the screen from a
      > > > buffer. I've gotten a single tile repeated across a row of tiles and parts
      > > > of a row repeated a couple of rows up or down and sometimes it'll just
      > > > totally erase a seemingly random row or two of tiles. Sometimes I'd get
      > > > the single tile or short row of tiles filled with black. So, I've avoided
      > > > using the "stop downloading" option. I've gotten so cautious about that
      > > > that I'm even very leary about hitting "stop" during a TerraFetcher download.
      > > >
      > > > Fixing them involves deleting all corrupted tiles and/or rows of tiles,
      > > > using the ctrl-delete or shift-delete methods, to make them "empty", then

    • Tim Barney
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 30 10:58 PM
        I'm kind of lucky in that my employer also serves as my ISP (one of our multiple lines of business), so the discount on service helps get me more speed than I'd otherwise be able to afford, but I don't have the fastest service we offer, and I do think that at least in my case, the limitation was more in processing power and response time of the web site than it was in pure bandwidth. And I know what you mean about stuff being scattered, I was using my home machine, and two work laptops to download (luckily I missed losing data on the one when the HD started failing in the last couple of weeks).

        Tim

        --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "John T" <jft43@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >

        > > Tim
        > >
        > > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@> wrote:
        > > >

        > > > Unless I get a chance to bang on this tomorrow, you will be able to see such corruption in the DC urban files. The problem was because my wireless link was flakey. It didn't happen with better locations. It had nothing to do with starting or stopping the download manually. Unfortunately there is a lot of it in about half the DC urban photos, but for the most part they are not frequent.
        > > >
        > > > I got all the holes filled in and if the server is still up tomorrow I'll try cleaning up these files. But it is a lot of manual work. Hmmm... Redmond is in Pacific time zone, so I guess the server might not go down until 3 AM local time or possibly 11 AM my local time when someone comes into work at 8 AM and pulls the plug? I hope he sleeps late...

      • gnuarm
        Message 3 of 14 , May 4, 2012
          I found this summary hoping to find enough info to size the total download. Tome doesn't have the 1 meter photos for 10-15. So if those of you can post your download sizes of 1 meter photos in zones 10-15 only we can get a size on the full data set.

          --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Barney" <tbarney@...> wrote:

          > Zones 3-9 and 16-20 are burnt to BR discs, zones 10-15 are still on the HD
          >
          > Zones 3-9 approx 41gig (2 BR discs)
          >
          > Zones 10-15 approx 341gig (on HD)
          >
          > Zone 16 approx 261gig (12 BR discs)
          >
          > Zone 17 approx 225gig (10 BR and 1 DVD)
          >
          > Zone 18 approx 75gig (4 BR discs)
          >
          > Zone 19 and 20 approx 30.5gig(2 BR discs)
          >

          > Tim

          Total so far is 973.5 GB, just under 1 TB. Looks to me like it will be close and we may not be under 2 TB. Maybe I'll hold off buying those 2 TB drives. I may need 3 TB drives...
        • gnuarm
          Message 4 of 14 , May 4, 2012
            I need to proofread better. That should be, "Tim doesn't have the 1 meter photos for zones 10-15". I did catch where I was using MB and GB instead of GB and TB. Old habits die hard. TB is a new domain for me.

            Rick

            --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@...> wrote:

            > I found this summary hoping to find enough info to size the total download. Tome doesn't have the 1 meter photos for 10-15. So if those of you can post your download sizes of 1 meter photos in zones 10-15 only we can get a size on the full data set.
            >

            > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Barney" <tbarney@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Zones 3-9 and 16-20 are burnt to BR discs, zones 10-15 are still on the HD
            > >
            > > Zones 3-9 approx 41gig (2 BR discs)
            > >
            > > Zones 10-15 approx 341gig (on HD)
            > >
            > > Zone 16 approx 261gig (12 BR discs)
            > >
            > > Zone 17 approx 225gig (10 BR and 1 DVD)
            > >
            > > Zone 18 approx 75gig (4 BR discs)
            > >
            > > Zone 19 and 20 approx 30.5gig(2 BR discs)
            > >

            > > Tim
            >

            > Total so far is 973.5 GB, just under 1 TB. Looks to me like it will be close and we may not be under 2 TB. Maybe I'll hold off buying those 2 TB drives. I may need 3 TB drives...

          • Jerry Sullivan
            Message 5 of 14 , May 4, 2012
              My downloads of zone 12, southern 1/3 of zone 15, and a lot of urban material totals about 260G on 67
              DVDs which I plan to put in the UPS tomorrow if possible.  Rick, what is your full name, you did not say
              when you provided your girlfriends address "to ship to".

              Jerry Sullivan

              On 5/4/2012 8:53 PM, gnuarm wrote:

              I need to proofread better. That should be, "Tim doesn't have the 1 meter photos for zones 10-15". I did catch where I was using MB and GB instead of GB and TB. Old habits die hard. TB is a new domain for me.

              Rick

              --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@...> wrote:

              > I found this summary hoping to find enough info to size the total download. Tome doesn't have the 1 meter photos for 10-15. So if those of you can post your download sizes of 1 meter photos in zones 10-15 only we can get a size on the full data set.
              >

              > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Barney" <tbarney@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Zones 3-9 and 16-20 are burnt to BR discs, zones 10-15 are still on the HD
              > >
              > > Zones 3-9 approx 41gig (2 BR discs)
              > >
              > > Zones 10-15 approx 341gig (on HD)
              > >
              > > Zone 16 approx 261gig (12 BR discs)
              > >
              > > Zone 17 approx 225gig (10 BR and 1 DVD)
              > >
              > > Zone 18 approx 75gig (4 BR discs)
              > >
              > > Zone 19 and 20 approx 30.5gig(2 BR discs)
              > >

              > > Tim
              >

              > Total so far is 973.5 GB, just under 1 TB. Looks to me like it will be close and we may not be under 2 TB. Maybe I'll hold off buying those 2 TB drives. I may need 3 TB drives...

              No virus found in this message.

              J. H. Sullivan, Jacksonville
            • Jerry Sullivan
              Message 6 of 14 , May 4, 2012
                Oops, you did provide a full name with the address and phone number, so if at  all possible, it goes to the UPS
                store tomorrow and ought to go out Monday.  I'll be sending it by their cheapest rate so it ought to take 5-7
                business days.

                Jerry Sullivan