Re: [USAphotomaps] Re: Progress on Urban files for Southern Part of Zone 16

  • Jerry Sullivan
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28 1:41 PM
      Figure on 6-8 minutes to burn a DVD without verification, or 15' with it.  So far I have done 31
      Dvd's all with verification and in another 6, I will have burned all of the 1meter zone 12 files to
      Dvd.  Then comes the southern part of Zone 15, and lastly the urban material.  However I haven't
      downloaded the "big" tiles except in the Urban areas.  Because it seemed like others had done
      that already.

      Mobile must have been some of the later additions to terraserver because those urbans are much
      clearer than earlier ones.  Likewise  Seattle area files were very clear.   I suspect Rick is going to be
      inundated with DVDs.  I figure around 60 in my case.  I have had a little problem with some
      writable DVD+Rs that have been on my shelf about a year.  My wife got them at CostCo (Sony
      Brand) by mistake as I didn't have a printer that would print to DVD/CDs.

      Jerry Sullivan

      Jerry SullivanOn 4/28/2012 4:06 PM, Mike wrote:

      I know I'm late to the party on this, but I'll go ahead and grab the Mobile urban files, since it was second on your list.

      Mike

      --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, Barry Lankford <BarryL@...> wrote:

      > So far I've made progress with the Urban files for Huntsville AL, Oak Ridge
      > TN and Atlanta GA.
      >
      > I've downloaded all of the 4 meter/pix and 0.25 meter/pix for Huntsville
      > AL. All is in Zone 16.
      >
      > I've also downloaded all of the 4 meter/pix and most of the 0.25 meter/pix
      > for Oak Ridge TN. The Oak Ridge Urban coverage is split between Zone 16
      > and Zone 17. While I was able to get all of the 4 meter/pix using a region
      > file bounded by Zone 16 coordinates, some of the 0.25 meter/pix that is in
      > Zone 17 appears to be unavailable using coordinates from either Zone.
      >
      > I've been working on Atlanta GA, and I've downloaded all of the 4 meter/pix
      > coverage of that area, but the Atlanta Urban coverage also appears to be
      > split between Zone 16 and Zone 17. Right now I'm downloading 0.25
      > meter/pix for the part of the Atlanta area I can access from Zone 16
      > coordinates, which appears to be most of it, and I have about 15 hours to
      > go on that. I don't know yet if I'll be able to get additional 0.25
      > meter/pix coverage using Zone 17 coordinates. It seems to be a situation
      > very similar to that for Oak Ridge.
      >
      > If anyone has any ideas on dealing with this kind of split zone coverage
      > problem, I'd like to hear it. I've also noticed that with USAPM you can't
      > seem to zoom into the 0.25 meter/pix coverage that overlaps into another
      > zone even if you transition into either zone. I've got a pretty good
      > handle on how equal-area map projections like UTM work, but I can't make
      > sense of this.
      >
      > After I get all that I can from Atlanta, I'll work on the other Alabama
      > Urban areas, Montgomery AL first then Mobile AL.
      >
      > I suspect I'll very soon have to burn all of this to DVD+R to free up some
      > drive space. I just noticed that the projected time to complete the
      > current download has gone from 15 hours to 28 hours!
      >
      > Barry
      > N4MSJ
      > Madison (Huntsville) AL

      No virus found in this message.

      J. H. Sullivan, Jacksonville
    • Barry Lankford
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 28 2:33 PM
        On 4/28/2012 3:06 PM, Mike wrote:
        > I know I'm late to the party on this, but I'll go ahead and grab the Mobile urban files, since it was second on your list.
        >
        > Mike

        Thanks, Mike. Atlanta is proving to be a big job for my 'less than
        optimal' resources (bandwidth and drive space) so I'm happy for the help.
        I'm only about 15 percent into it so far. I also got into this late
        because I had even less drive space until I bought a flash drive. But I
        think I'll get there.

        If I get done with Atlanta and still have some time left before MS pulls
        the plug, I'll go after Montgomery AL next.

        I also had a problem initially getting TerraFetcher to install and run.
        Kept coming up with an error saying TerraFetcher couldn't find a file
        (MFC71.DLL) on my computer. I searched my entire computer and sure enough
        that file wasn't there. I Googled the error and tried all the recommended
        fixes, but none of them worked. Finally I did the thing they said NOT to
        do, I downloaded MFC71.DLL from a DLL download site and moved it to the
        System32 directory. That worked. I scanned everything with my anti-virus
        checker and everything looks OK, but I'll delete the DLL and TerraFetcher
        when the project is over.

        Barry
        N4MSJ