Re: USAPM Refuses to Connect to GPS on Laptop and Doesn't Like to on Desktop

  • gps_greg
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 16, 2008
      Sorry for a follow up to my own post but we cannot edit posts here.

      The following would be easier to read if I had made it-
      "After I tried to do something" rather than "once".

      > Once I tried to do something, if I tried to change the comm port it
      > would tell me that the port could not be change one it had been used
      > successfully, which it hadn't.

      And change it to 3 Blue Screens of Death now.

      Wonder if it would help to switch the laptop over to XP Pro?
      I have a copy of that laying around that I could use.

    • dancytron
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 18, 2008
        It might be that one of the other programs you mention is tying up the
        serial port. Try doing a full restart and then using USA Photo Maps
        before anything else. My old version of Microsoft streets and trips
        does this to me.

        Next step would be to look in the Device Manager and see what is up.
        Maybe uninstall and reinstall the ports, etc.

        Dan

        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 18, 2008
          Before hand, this sounds terse and snooty but it really isn't/wasn't
          meant that way, so please don't take offense at it.
          I've had a horrible 4 days with bronchitis and this is about as good
          as it gets for right now.
          So, sorry up front for the apparent fit pitching.
          Now, with that said-

          Except that the BSOD results in a restart.
          I wasn't saying that I start each of the others then USAPM...
          If I try them they work.
          USAPM has problems.ameau
          On two machines, neither of which have problems with the ports in
          other programs.
          I have a cable from GPS to computer.
          A cable that connects GPS-Ham Radio-computer.
          Two separate serial ports, one built in and one on a card, on the desktop.
          Laptop has two USB ports and they both do it.
          I've been doing the computer tech thing long enough to trouble shoot it.
          Process of elimination has it down to USAPM.

          And a bit of an update:
          I am hoping to use USAPM, my ham radio, and GPS to track in real time
          high altitude balloons and amateur rockets.
          I have a Kenwood TH-D7 hand held radio that does the APRS thing.
          It is slow to make the connection for it, but USAPM does work with the
          radio and displays stations around.
          While it would be really nice to be able to have the GPS feeding my
          location to the program as well, knowing the location of the
          balloon/rocket would suffice.
          Some of the payloads are a tad expensive to just watch them float away
          into the ether.

          --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "dancytron" <dancytron@...> wrote:

          > It might be that one of the other programs you mention is tying up the
          > serial port. Try doing a full restart and then using USA Photo Maps
          > before anything else. My old version of Microsoft streets and trips
          > does this to me.
          >
          > Next step would be to look in the Device Manager and see what is up.
          > Maybe uninstall and reinstall the ports, etc.
          >
          > Dan
        • gps_greg
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 30, 2008
            Still CANNOT connect USAPM to GPS on laptop.
            I do not understand it.
            More Blue Screens of Death.
            Tried every combination of settings that I can think of.
            Will connect on desktop and upload and download there.
            But absolutely nothing on laptop.

            Greg
          • Rick Collins
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 30, 2008
              --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gps_greg" <gps_greg@...> wrote:

              > Still CANNOT connect USAPM to GPS on laptop.
              > I do not understand it.
              > More Blue Screens of Death.
              > Tried every combination of settings that I can think of.
              > Will connect on desktop and upload and download there.
              > But absolutely nothing on laptop.

              I can't imagine that it has anything to do with USAPM. Have you tried
              connecting to the GPS using hyperterm? If that works, then I guess
              the drivers are working ok... maybe.

              There are any number of programs out there that will talk to a GPS
              receiver. Try downloading one of them and see if they work too.
            • gps_greg
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 31, 2008
                Both EasyGPS and Garmin WebUpdater can comm both ways with the GPS going through either USB port without any problems.
                I hate to say it because I REALLY LIKE USAPM, but it is pretty much narrowed down to the program.
                When I connect my ham radio to the laptop running USAPM it hangs and says "Not Responding" for 30 seconds to a minute but then will run.
                Desktop USAPM connects to ham radio just fine.
                On the laptop, the radio programming program from Kenwood and a 3rd party one connect to the radio as they should.
                SOMETHING in USAPM doesn't like the USB ports on my laptop.
                Now, it may well just be a problem on Toshiba machines or a problem interfacing with whatever particular brand of USB prorts, I don't know.
                For now I can have a workaround for tracking using 2 radios but that is a bit of a pain.
                Oh well.
                Thanks for your time,

                Greg

                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 31, 2008
                  Still have the problem when the machine is fresh booted and the only
                  thing using just one USB port is USAPM.
                  I don't mean to sound like it is your "fault" because I do not feel in
                  anyway that it is.
                  There is just something, either USAPM doesn't like the ports or the
                  ports just don't like the program, I don't know.
                  Like I said, for tracking balloons while we are moving we have a work
                  around.
                  For tracking rockets I'll be sitting still and only have the radio
                  connected anyway.
                  The only thing I loose out is the moving map ability.
                  Maybe this has something to do with buying the least expensive laptop
                  Best Buy had.
                  For 400 bucks you get what you pay for.

                  Greg

                  --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Cox" <jdmcox@...> wrote:

                  > USAPhotoMaps can't share a comm port. I'd bet those other programs
                  can (and do).

                  > Doug Cox
                  > _________________________________
                • Doug Cox

                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 31, 2008
                      You didn't respond to my:
                      "USAPhotoMaps can't share a comm port. I'd bet those other programs
                      can (and do)." This seems like the obvious problem. TouchPads on most laptops use a virtual serial port, for example.
                      I also should have mentioned that I don't think IRQ's can be shared by USAPhotoMaps, either. IRQ's are used by comm ports and by most hardware components on a computer.

                      And you also never said that you tried changing the virtual port that your usb/serial cable used with your computer. This is the obvious first thing to change. You could set it to anything you like (like comm port 40, which should rule out sharing conflicts).

                      Doug Cox
                      _________________________________

                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 1 6:34 PM
                        It would seem that if one external device can work through a port
                        (both ports actually) under USAPM that there should not be such a
                        conflict.
                        Just to check, I did change the comm port for "USB-to-Serial Comm
                        Port" to 40 as well as a number of others.
                        Most of them got "Couldn't open comm port" and then "The Comm Port
                        doesn't seem to be valid."
                        The ports that don't get those error messages still do not connect and
                        result in hang that requires task manager to stop.
                        And more BS'sOD

                        There may be something about the Garmin GPSMap76 as the desktop with
                        USAPM is not a big fan of connecting through an actual serial port to
                        it either.

                        Now, enough about this.
                        I do have a workaround that works, it's just that I am curious.

                        --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Cox" <jdmcox@...> wrote:

                        > You didn't respond to my:
                        > "USAPhotoMaps can't share a comm port. I'd bet those other programs
                        > can (and do)." This seems like the obvious problem. TouchPads on
                        most laptops use a virtual serial port, for example.
                        > I also should have mentioned that I don't think IRQ's can be shared
                        by USAPhotoMaps, either. IRQ's are used by comm ports and by most
                        hardware components on a computer.

                        > And you also never said that you tried changing the virtual port
                        that your usb/serial cable used with your computer. This is the
                        obvious first thing to change. You could set it to anything you like
                        (like comm port 40, which should rule out sharing conflicts).

                        > Doug Cox
                      • Scott
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 1 9:47 PM
                          I also am having trouble connecting to my Garmin through my laptop.
                          The laptop is an IBM T43P, running XP. The GPS is a Garmin Colorado,
                          gps connection. I set the protocol to Garmin USB, and tried the
                          various comm ports. It keeps telling me that the GPS doesn't appear to
                          be attached. It is attached since I can see it in windows explorer. I
                          have the Mapsource program up and have no problem connecting there, so
                          I'm pretty sure it's not the computer or the gps.
                          Is there any way to save the waypoint file to the computer drive in a
                          format that can be read by mapsource or the gps directly? If I could
                          do that, or open it in Mapsource, I could then get it to the gps
                          outside of USAphotomaps.
                        • alancurtis2
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 29, 2008
                            I have a brand new garman colorado 400t and I also can't seem to work
                            the magic to get it to talk to usaphotomaps. I din't see greg here get
                            his setup working on the laptop, but it does seem like his desktop was
                            working for him, so I believe this is possible yet...

                            Previously, I've use a magellan sporttrak pro, so I'm not familiar with
                            all the USB options. When I'm connected to the Garmmin with Mapsource
                            I do not see any comm ports listed in device manager, like I did when
                            using the peice of junk magellan triton that I owned for 12 hours
                            before sending it back.

                            Do baud, or ports matter once you set "garmin usb" in the usb protocol?
                            I can see the two disk flash drives of the garmin that appear when I
                            hook up the usb - one does not let me look at it with explorer, and the
                            other appears to be the pre-progammed SD card I put in the unit (so I
                            backed it up to my hard drive just in case!)

                            Any suggestions for what settings I need to tweak?

                            IBM/lenovo thinkpad T60. XP SP2....

                            alan
                          • Kurt Savegnago
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 29, 2008
                              If I might interject. I find with the Garmin stuff,
                              one needs to select NMEA on the setup "interface"
                              to work with a lot of devices or computer hardware.
                              If the particular GPS doesn't allow one to do that,
                              the device will probably not work.

                              I plugged my Etrex Vista Csx into my laptop and it
                              would ONLY communicate with the Garmin software.
                              There was NO option in the Vista Csx to change the
                              output into any other format. When I bought the
                              GPS Gate program, I could use the receiver/antenna
                              in the Vista Csx to interface with other programs
                              including USAPhoto Maps. GPS Gate translated the
                              proprietary Garmin output into NMEA.
                              Now, a fair number of Garmin units DO allow the user
                              to change the interface to NMEA and a bunch of other
                              modes. If that is the case, as long as one can select
                              that option, they'll be all right.

                              In your Colorado, you need to go into the interface
                              and change from the GARMIN interface to NMEA. If you
                              do that, it will work. If that option is not
                              available, you'll have to get something like GPS Gate.
                              You also have to remember, if you want to plug back
                              into the Garmin software, you'll have to change the
                              protocol back to the GARMIN in order for the unit to
                              communicate with their program.

                              Kurt Savegnago
                              --- Doug Cox <jdmcox@...> wrote:

                              > You forgot to say "I've read and understand the
                              > User's Manual concerning Connecting Your Colorado to
                              > a Computer, and have done everything they say
                              > there."
                              >
                              > Doug Cox
                              > _________________________________
                              > You wrote (Fri, 29 Aug 2008 13:39:42 -0000):
                              >
                              > I have a brand new garman colorado 400t and I also
                              > can't seem to work the magic to get it to talk to
                              > usaphotomaps. I din't see greg here get his setup
                              > working on the laptop, but it does seem like his
                              > desktop was working for him, so I believe this is
                              > possible yet...
                              >
                              > Previously, I've use a magellan sporttrak pro, so
                              > I'm not familiar with all the USB options. When I'm
                              > connected to the Garmmin with Mapsource I do not see
                              > any comm ports listed in device manager, like I did
                              > when using the peice of junk magellan triton that I
                              > owned for 12 hours before sending it back.
                              >
                              > Do baud, or ports matter once you set "garmin usb"
                              > in the usb protocol?
                              > I can see the two disk flash drives of the garmin
                              > that appear when I hook up the usb - one does not
                              > let me look at it with explorer, and the other
                              > appears to be the pre-progammed SD card I put in the
                              > unit (so I backed it up to my hard drive just in
                              > case!)
                              >
                              > Any suggestions for what settings I need to tweak?
                              >
                              > IBM/lenovo thinkpad T60. XP SP2....
                              >
                              > alan
                              >
                              > _________________________________

                            • Doug Cox

                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 29, 2008
                                  Yes, i did, so let me state that and more...
                                  "I've read and understand the User's Manual concerning Connecting Your Colorado to a Computer, and have done everything they
                                  say there."

                                  I can exchange waypoints, routes, tracks using the MapSource that came with the unit.
                                  Further, since I was worried the colorado might have some new wacky protocol, I downloaded EasyGPS, and I can exchange waypoints,
                                  routes, tracks with this as well.

                                  I can bounce between MapSource and EasyGPS without any apparent issues.
                                  If I reboot and try USAPM first, it says my USB Garmin doesn't appear to be connected
                                  If I reboot, and try one or more of the above programs, quit them, then start USAPM, same no joy
                                  If I try running USAPM while those programs are up, same no joy.

                                  I've tried "simplifing" my USB infrastructure by removed the portable usb drive that I was running USAPM from (it was G:, Garmin is
                                  E: for the "main" and F: for the SD card (I conclude since an unaccessable F: shows up when the card is out). Running USAPM from
                                  c:/programs/usaphotomaps doesn't seem to change anything

                                  I've tried with and without the SD card in the Garmin.
                                  I've tried hitting "receive" (of GPS->waypoints) at various stages of "connecting" and even the timing is always the same -
                                  instantly the "not connected" message.

                                  Does USAPM have to search through some USB heirarchy tree to find my Garmin? Could the "tree" be somehow too complex on this T60?

                                  Could it's dual CPUs matter?

                                  HW managers sees (as far as I can tell) only two devices for this:
                                  1) Garmin Colorado Flash USB device
                                  2) Garmin Coloardo SD USB device

                                  They both appear in "view by connection" as "generic volume" under their respective title above.
                                  The above 1) and 2) are both conneced under different "USB Mass Storage Device" entries
                                  which are them selves under the same USB Root Hub, which is under Intel(R) 82801G(ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA,
                                  which is under PCI bus.

                                  I can use windows explorer to explore the SD USB, but get prompted for what program to open it with if I attempt to "explore" the
                                  Flash USB device - e:

                                  alan
                                • Kurt Savegnago
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 29, 2008
                                    Whew Alan,

                                    Looks like you tried about everything.
                                    Maybe download GPS Diag:

                                    http://www.download.com/GPSDiag/3000-2130_4-10055902.html

                                    If this program can see the datastream coming into
                                    your laptop, USAPM should be able to use it.

                                    My Etrex Vista Csx works fine with the GPS Gate
                                    software. GPS diag shows that datastream coming in
                                    once I set the right com port in it.

                                    Best of Luck,
                                    Kurt Savegnago
                                  • Doug Cox
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 29, 2008
                                      Do you have the latest USAPhotoMaps? I made a small fix in the USB routine in it.

                                      Doug Cox
                                      _________________________________

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 29, 2008
                                        Doug: I'm running 2.77 july 9 2008, which in my read is what's current
                                        on your web page...

                                        Kirt: I downloaded an eval copy of USBtrace and I sure see babling
                                        stuff when the Garmin is connected (and not when not).

                                        You mention again this phrase "once I set the right com port in it".

                                        I see no com ports in my device manger at anytime. I've confirmed I'm
                                        not insane by plugging in my old usb->serial adapter (that I used with
                                        the sporttrak pro) and then "com ports" appears, and that appears as
                                        com4.

                                        Does the com port setting in USAPM mean anything when using USB Garmin?
                                        How do I find out which one it is (short of the long way 99 bottles of
                                        port on the wall game)?

                                        alan
                                      • Lou
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Aug 29, 2008
                                          If you can connect to MapSource on your computer, see what com port is used.   Then set the one in USAPhotoMaps to the same number.

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Aug 30, 2008
                                            The com port (and baud) are only for serial communication (not USB).

                                            Doug Cox

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Aug 30, 2008
                                              Could you send me a file (or files) that USBTrace writes when you download data from your GPS? Then I can see how the "babling stuff" differs from data downloaded from my Garmin GPS 96.

                                              Doug Cox

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Aug 30, 2008
                                                That USBTrace program doesn't seem to let any other program use USB when it's running, so it's useless.

                                                You say, "it says my USB Garmin doesn't appear to be connected". This statement won't show if you've selected Garmin USB as the Protocol (which of course you must do), and your GPS is connected (and running).

                                                Doug Cox