Tucson AZ Urban Region File

  • gnuarm
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 22 11:18 AM
      Searching my emails I didn't find a thread for Tucson, AZ either. But they are already started for Seattle-Tacoma WA, Portland-Oregon WA, Sacremento CA, Stockton/Modesto CA, Sanfrancisco/Oakland CA, Fresno CA, Los Angeles CA.

      It would be easier to put each region in its own thread. Otherwise we have to read all the posts in a common thread to find what is going on with a given urban area. Yahoo groups is good in some respects, but being able to easily read multiple messages is not one of them. This might have been better to organize this effort in a Google group where it is easy to see a number of posts at once, but we are here now.

      Rick

      --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, jhsulliv@... wrote:

      > I didn't find a specific urban area thread as requested, so I will start one. Hopefully others will add their completions, progress, etc. to this one.
      >
      > Tucson, AZ is complete, checked, and currently being backed up to the offline drive.
      >
      > I have created a data file to run Salt Lake City with. Tucson and SLC are in Zone 12. I am putting together a data file for NewOrleans but if someone has already done that one, please let us know. Part of NewOrleans lies in Zone 16 (east side), most of it in Zone 15.
      >
      > J. H. Sullivan

    • Jerry Sullivan
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 22 12:11 PM
        Well, I'll put my Urbans in this thread which mostly relates to zone 12 (Tucson & SLC) plus NewOrleans.  I am going to
        check, but I don't believe there is a Urban for Phoenix.

        Jerry Sullivan

        On 4/22/2012 2:18 PM, gnuarm wrote:

        Searching my emails I didn't find a thread for Tucson, AZ either. But they are already started for Seattle-Tacoma WA, Portland-Oregon WA, Sacremento CA, Stockton/Modesto CA, Sanfrancisco/Oakland CA, Fresno CA, Los Angeles CA.

        It would be easier to put each region in its own thread. Otherwise we have to read all the posts in a common thread to find what is going on with a given urban area. Yahoo groups is good in some respects, but being able to easily read multiple messages is not one of them. This might have been better to organize this effort in a Google group where it is easy to see a number of posts at once, but we are here now.

        Rick

        --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, jhsulliv@... wrote:

        > I didn't find a specific urban area thread as requested, so I will start one. Hopefully others will add their completions, progress, etc. to this one.
        >
        > Tucson, AZ is complete, checked, and currently being backed up to the offline drive.
        >
        > I have created a data file to run Salt Lake City with. Tucson and SLC are in Zone 12. I am putting together a data file for NewOrleans but if someone has already done that one, please let us know. Part of NewOrleans lies in Zone 16 (east side), most of it in Zone 15.
        >
        > J. H. Sullivan

        No virus found in this message.

        J. H. Sullivan, Jacksonville
      • Jerry Sullivan
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 23 4:34 PM
          Colleagues,

          After some adjusting, Salt Lake City Urban is downloading. There are
          2300 rows, with estimated 21 hour download
          time. NewOrleans will be next (and last for me) but it is B&W and much
          smaller. My impression of SLC is that the
          urban area extends nearly to, or perhaps even beyond, Ogden to the
          north, but does not go very far south.

          Jerry Sullivan
        • jhsulliv@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 24 9:01 AM
            Colleagues,

            AT 5am this morning, NewOrleans had completed, but I need to manually grab a little around the
            west edge, ought to take less than 30'.  Although the urban area appears to extend east into
            Zone 16, no data was extracted from there.

            Salt Lake City had about 3 more hours to run before completion.  As I indicated, this was a large
            Urban area, extending I would guess, nearly 50 miles north to south, but no more than 15 east to
            west with some irregularities.  I just used a four point data file, so there is a lot of empty tiles in
            the mix.

            J. H. Sullivan

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 24 1:18 PM
              Colleagues,

              Tucson, and NewOrleans are complete. For NewOrleans a little bit of the
              eastern side is in zone 16 but nothing
              downloaded from that side either with Terrafetcher or manually, so I
              assume there is nothing there.

              Salt Lake City is on a second pass which, because of the large number of
              empty tiles will take another 3 hours
              or so.

              Jerry Sullivan
            • Jerry Sullivan
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 24 7:16 PM
                I just noticed that Houston is in zone 15 and has urban data. If nobody
                else has claimed it,
                I'll run it later this week, probably Friday if not sooner. Please advise.

                Jerry Sullivan
              • dancytron
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 24 10:03 PM
                  I am just getting in on this so I don't know the protocol, but I already have St. Louis Urban photos, both sizes.

                • ahansen937@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 25 9:01 AM
                    Hi Guy's
                    To let everyone know -my dsl was down from 4-24 to a.m. 4-26 -2012 so lost two days of downloading,
                    Hope to do cachup today.

                    AL

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 26 5:07 PM
                      Colleagues,

                      Salt Lake City, Tucson, Jackson, MS, Baton Rouge, Shreveport, and
                      NewOrleans are complete
                      both high res. and low res. urban files.

                      Houston Low res. is complete, and high res. needs another 5 hours. Once
                      Houston completes,
                      I am full up, and will start burning DVD's more seriously-- I have done
                      14 so far.

                      Jerry Sullivan
                    • Jerry Sullivan
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 27 4:05 PM

                        Colleagues,

                        Houston, high res. completed at 0300 hours this morning.  I have grabbed all I can hold and will start
                        serious burning of DVDs.  All material is backed up to an external drive except the last few hundred
                        rows of Houston, High res.

                        Jerry Sullivan

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 29 5:20 PM
                          Colleagues,

                          Thus far, I have burned all of the Zone 12 data to DVD and most of Zone
                          15. So far that is 47 DVDs
                          and completing zone 15 will bump that up to 57. All of the DVDs are
                          named USAPM## sequentially,
                          and the folder on each is correpondingly "burn##" sequentially. #40 has
                          a subdirectory for Zone 12
                          and a subdirectory for Zone 15, all 1 meter files. #57 has a Z15-1meter
                          for what else, the rest of the
                          1meter files. Z15-urban is all of NewOrleans. From that point on is
                          another 5-6 DVDs, all with
                          urban data, and some odds and ends. So it going to take somewhere
                          around 65 DVDs to get it all
                          ready to dump on Rick. Each DVD has a note on it's top listing the
                          range of files thereon, and the
                          number of files.

                          I will be keeping all the individual files, and the several burn##
                          directories on the external 2T drive
                          for several months in case anything needs to be reburned etc. After
                          that, I will clean these out.

                          J. H. Sullivan, P.E. (retired from CSX)
                          Jacksonville, FL
                        • teegate
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 29 6:28 PM
                            Hi,

                            I am new to the site and just learned about Microsoft closing the site. I know I am late learning this but I will do what I can to help get NJ downloaded. Has anyone downloaded NJ yet and if not can someone please quickly tell me what I need to do to get started.

                            Guy

                            --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Sullivan <jhsulliv@...> wrote:

                            > Colleagues,
                            >
                            > Thus far, I have burned all of the Zone 12 data to DVD and most of Zone
                            > 15. So far that is 47 DVDs
                            > and completing zone 15 will bump that up to 57. All of the DVDs are
                            > named USAPM## sequentially,
                            > and the folder on each is correpondingly "burn##" sequentially. #40 has
                            > a subdirectory for Zone 12
                            > and a subdirectory for Zone 15, all 1 meter files. #57 has a Z15-1meter
                            > for what else, the rest of the
                            > 1meter files. Z15-urban is all of NewOrleans. From that point on is
                            > another 5-6 DVDs, all with
                            > urban data, and some odds and ends. So it going to take somewhere
                            > around 65 DVDs to get it all
                            > ready to dump on Rick. Each DVD has a note on it's top listing the
                            > range of files thereon, and the
                            > number of files.
                            >
                            > I will be keeping all the individual files, and the several burn##
                            > directories on the external 2T drive
                            > for several months in case anything needs to be reburned etc. After
                            > that, I will clean these out.
                            >
                            > J. H. Sullivan, P.E. (retired from CSX)
                            > Jacksonville, FL

                          • gnuarm
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 30 2:44 PM
                              We have all of the topo and the B&W photos downloaded. We are working on completing the Urban photos which are higher resolution and in color. But the urban photos only exist for selected urban areas. I don't know what urban areas are covered in your region, but you can find the major areas on your topo map and try downloading a bit. If nothing shows in the area it is likely empty. If you explore the area and find the corners of the covered area in the 4 meter urban photos, you can use the "draw route" feature to make a region file and download the 0.25 meter urban photos.

                              I did a quick check and I don't find any urban photos at 4 meters for either the Phily/Camden or Newark/New York areas. Go figure!

                              If you don't find anything in NJ, don't waste the short time we have left, find other cities in zone 17, 18 or 19. I think these are the least covered. Also search here for the cities already covered.

                              Rick

                              --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "teegate" <teegate@...> wrote:

                              > Hi,
                              >
                              > I am new to the site and just learned about Microsoft closing the site. I know I am late learning this but I will do what I can to help get NJ downloaded. Has anyone downloaded NJ yet and if not can someone please quickly tell me what I need to do to get started.
                              >
                              > Guy
                              >
                              > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Sullivan <jhsulliv@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Colleagues,
                              > >
                              > > Thus far, I have burned all of the Zone 12 data to DVD and most of Zone
                              > > 15. So far that is 47 DVDs
                              > > and completing zone 15 will bump that up to 57. All of the DVDs are
                              > > named USAPM## sequentially,
                              > > and the folder on each is correpondingly "burn##" sequentially. #40 has
                              > > a subdirectory for Zone 12
                              > > and a subdirectory for Zone 15, all 1 meter files. #57 has a Z15-1meter
                              > > for what else, the rest of the
                              > > 1meter files. Z15-urban is all of NewOrleans. From that point on is
                              > > another 5-6 DVDs, all with
                              > > urban data, and some odds and ends. So it going to take somewhere
                              > > around 65 DVDs to get it all
                              > > ready to dump on Rick. Each DVD has a note on it's top listing the
                              > > range of files thereon, and the
                              > > number of files.
                              > >
                              > > I will be keeping all the individual files, and the several burn##
                              > > directories on the external 2T drive
                              > > for several months in case anything needs to be reburned etc. After
                              > > that, I will clean these out.
                              > >
                              > > J. H. Sullivan, P.E. (retired from CSX)
                              > > Jacksonville, FL

                            • Edward C. Schaub
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 30 3:12 PM
                                I am in the process of burning all of the southern part of zone 16 including the coastal area where do I  send the DVD. I will keep all the data on my hard drive in case I need to reburn something

                                --
                                Edward C. Schaub W5TUT
                                1305 Concart St.