Urban Areas -- Progress, Completled----

  • jhsulliv@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 22 11:01 AM
      I didn't find a specific urban area thread as requested, so I will start one. Hopefully others will add their completions, progress, etc. to this one.

      Tucson, AZ is complete, checked, and currently being backed up to the offline drive.

      I have created a data file to run Salt Lake City with. Tucson and SLC are in Zone 12. I am putting together a data file for NewOrleans but if someone has already done that one, please let us know. Part of NewOrleans lies in Zone 16 (east side), most of it in Zone 15.

      J. H. Sullivan
    • gnuarm
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 22 11:18 AM
        Searching my emails I didn't find a thread for Tucson, AZ either. But they are already started for Seattle-Tacoma WA, Portland-Oregon WA, Sacremento CA, Stockton/Modesto CA, Sanfrancisco/Oakland CA, Fresno CA, Los Angeles CA.

        It would be easier to put each region in its own thread. Otherwise we have to read all the posts in a common thread to find what is going on with a given urban area. Yahoo groups is good in some respects, but being able to easily read multiple messages is not one of them. This might have been better to organize this effort in a Google group where it is easy to see a number of posts at once, but we are here now.

        Rick

        --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, jhsulliv@... wrote:

        > I didn't find a specific urban area thread as requested, so I will start one. Hopefully others will add their completions, progress, etc. to this one.
        >
        > Tucson, AZ is complete, checked, and currently being backed up to the offline drive.
        >
        > I have created a data file to run Salt Lake City with. Tucson and SLC are in Zone 12. I am putting together a data file for NewOrleans but if someone has already done that one, please let us know. Part of NewOrleans lies in Zone 16 (east side), most of it in Zone 15.
        >
        > J. H. Sullivan

      • Jerry Sullivan
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 22 12:11 PM
          Well, I'll put my Urbans in this thread which mostly relates to zone 12 (Tucson & SLC) plus NewOrleans.  I am going to
          check, but I don't believe there is a Urban for Phoenix.

          Jerry Sullivan

          On 4/22/2012 2:18 PM, gnuarm wrote:

          Searching my emails I didn't find a thread for Tucson, AZ either. But they are already started for Seattle-Tacoma WA, Portland-Oregon WA, Sacremento CA, Stockton/Modesto CA, Sanfrancisco/Oakland CA, Fresno CA, Los Angeles CA.

          It would be easier to put each region in its own thread. Otherwise we have to read all the posts in a common thread to find what is going on with a given urban area. Yahoo groups is good in some respects, but being able to easily read multiple messages is not one of them. This might have been better to organize this effort in a Google group where it is easy to see a number of posts at once, but we are here now.

          Rick

          --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, jhsulliv@... wrote:

          > I didn't find a specific urban area thread as requested, so I will start one. Hopefully others will add their completions, progress, etc. to this one.
          >
          > Tucson, AZ is complete, checked, and currently being backed up to the offline drive.
          >
          > I have created a data file to run Salt Lake City with. Tucson and SLC are in Zone 12. I am putting together a data file for NewOrleans but if someone has already done that one, please let us know. Part of NewOrleans lies in Zone 16 (east side), most of it in Zone 15.
          >
          > J. H. Sullivan

          No virus found in this message.

          J. H. Sullivan, Jacksonville
        • Jerry Sullivan
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 23 4:34 PM
            Colleagues,

            After some adjusting, Salt Lake City Urban is downloading. There are
            2300 rows, with estimated 21 hour download
            time. NewOrleans will be next (and last for me) but it is B&W and much
            smaller. My impression of SLC is that the
            urban area extends nearly to, or perhaps even beyond, Ogden to the
            north, but does not go very far south.

            Jerry Sullivan
          • jhsulliv@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 24 9:01 AM
              Colleagues,

              AT 5am this morning, NewOrleans had completed, but I need to manually grab a little around the
              west edge, ought to take less than 30'.  Although the urban area appears to extend east into
              Zone 16, no data was extracted from there.

              Salt Lake City had about 3 more hours to run before completion.  As I indicated, this was a large
              Urban area, extending I would guess, nearly 50 miles north to south, but no more than 15 east to
              west with some irregularities.  I just used a four point data file, so there is a lot of empty tiles in
              the mix.

              J. H. Sullivan

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 24 1:18 PM
                Colleagues,

                Tucson, and NewOrleans are complete. For NewOrleans a little bit of the
                eastern side is in zone 16 but nothing
                downloaded from that side either with Terrafetcher or manually, so I
                assume there is nothing there.

                Salt Lake City is on a second pass which, because of the large number of
                empty tiles will take another 3 hours
                or so.

                Jerry Sullivan
              • Jerry Sullivan
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 24 7:16 PM
                  I just noticed that Houston is in zone 15 and has urban data. If nobody
                  else has claimed it,
                  I'll run it later this week, probably Friday if not sooner. Please advise.

                  Jerry Sullivan
                • dancytron
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 24 10:03 PM
                    I am just getting in on this so I don't know the protocol, but I already have St. Louis Urban photos, both sizes.

                  • ahansen937@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 25 9:01 AM
                      Hi Guy's
                      To let everyone know -my dsl was down from 4-24 to a.m. 4-26 -2012 so lost two days of downloading,
                      Hope to do cachup today.

                      AL

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 26 5:07 PM
                        Colleagues,

                        Salt Lake City, Tucson, Jackson, MS, Baton Rouge, Shreveport, and
                        NewOrleans are complete
                        both high res. and low res. urban files.

                        Houston Low res. is complete, and high res. needs another 5 hours. Once
                        Houston completes,
                        I am full up, and will start burning DVD's more seriously-- I have done
                        14 so far.

                        Jerry Sullivan
                      • Jerry Sullivan
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 27 4:05 PM

                          Colleagues,

                          Houston, high res. completed at 0300 hours this morning.  I have grabbed all I can hold and will start
                          serious burning of DVDs.  All material is backed up to an external drive except the last few hundred
                          rows of Houston, High res.

                          Jerry Sullivan

                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 29 5:20 PM
                            Colleagues,

                            Thus far, I have burned all of the Zone 12 data to DVD and most of Zone
                            15. So far that is 47 DVDs
                            and completing zone 15 will bump that up to 57. All of the DVDs are
                            named USAPM## sequentially,
                            and the folder on each is correpondingly "burn##" sequentially. #40 has
                            a subdirectory for Zone 12
                            and a subdirectory for Zone 15, all 1 meter files. #57 has a Z15-1meter
                            for what else, the rest of the
                            1meter files. Z15-urban is all of NewOrleans. From that point on is
                            another 5-6 DVDs, all with
                            urban data, and some odds and ends. So it going to take somewhere
                            around 65 DVDs to get it all
                            ready to dump on Rick. Each DVD has a note on it's top listing the
                            range of files thereon, and the
                            number of files.

                            I will be keeping all the individual files, and the several burn##
                            directories on the external 2T drive
                            for several months in case anything needs to be reburned etc. After
                            that, I will clean these out.

                            J. H. Sullivan, P.E. (retired from CSX)
                            Jacksonville, FL
                          • teegate
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 29 6:28 PM
                              Hi,

                              I am new to the site and just learned about Microsoft closing the site. I know I am late learning this but I will do what I can to help get NJ downloaded. Has anyone downloaded NJ yet and if not can someone please quickly tell me what I need to do to get started.

                              Guy

                              --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Sullivan <jhsulliv@...> wrote:

                              > Colleagues,
                              >
                              > Thus far, I have burned all of the Zone 12 data to DVD and most of Zone
                              > 15. So far that is 47 DVDs
                              > and completing zone 15 will bump that up to 57. All of the DVDs are
                              > named USAPM## sequentially,
                              > and the folder on each is correpondingly "burn##" sequentially. #40 has
                              > a subdirectory for Zone 12
                              > and a subdirectory for Zone 15, all 1 meter files. #57 has a Z15-1meter
                              > for what else, the rest of the
                              > 1meter files. Z15-urban is all of NewOrleans. From that point on is
                              > another 5-6 DVDs, all with
                              > urban data, and some odds and ends. So it going to take somewhere
                              > around 65 DVDs to get it all
                              > ready to dump on Rick. Each DVD has a note on it's top listing the
                              > range of files thereon, and the
                              > number of files.
                              >
                              > I will be keeping all the individual files, and the several burn##
                              > directories on the external 2T drive
                              > for several months in case anything needs to be reburned etc. After
                              > that, I will clean these out.
                              >
                              > J. H. Sullivan, P.E. (retired from CSX)
                              > Jacksonville, FL

                            • gnuarm
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 30 2:44 PM
                                We have all of the topo and the B&W photos downloaded. We are working on completing the Urban photos which are higher resolution and in color. But the urban photos only exist for selected urban areas. I don't know what urban areas are covered in your region, but you can find the major areas on your topo map and try downloading a bit. If nothing shows in the area it is likely empty. If you explore the area and find the corners of the covered area in the 4 meter urban photos, you can use the "draw route" feature to make a region file and download the 0.25 meter urban photos.

                                I did a quick check and I don't find any urban photos at 4 meters for either the Phily/Camden or Newark/New York areas. Go figure!

                                If you don't find anything in NJ, don't waste the short time we have left, find other cities in zone 17, 18 or 19. I think these are the least covered. Also search here for the cities already covered.

                                Rick

                                --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "teegate" <teegate@...> wrote:

                                > Hi,
                                >
                                > I am new to the site and just learned about Microsoft closing the site. I know I am late learning this but I will do what I can to help get NJ downloaded. Has anyone downloaded NJ yet and if not can someone please quickly tell me what I need to do to get started.
                                >
                                > Guy
                                >
                                > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Sullivan <jhsulliv@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Colleagues,
                                > >
                                > > Thus far, I have burned all of the Zone 12 data to DVD and most of Zone
                                > > 15. So far that is 47 DVDs
                                > > and completing zone 15 will bump that up to 57. All of the DVDs are
                                > > named USAPM## sequentially,
                                > > and the folder on each is correpondingly "burn##" sequentially. #40 has
                                > > a subdirectory for Zone 12
                                > > and a subdirectory for Zone 15, all 1 meter files. #57 has a Z15-1meter
                                > > for what else, the rest of the
                                > > 1meter files. Z15-urban is all of NewOrleans. From that point on is
                                > > another 5-6 DVDs, all with
                                > > urban data, and some odds and ends. So it going to take somewhere
                                > > around 65 DVDs to get it all
                                > > ready to dump on Rick. Each DVD has a note on it's top listing the
                                > > range of files thereon, and the
                                > > number of files.
                                > >
                                > > I will be keeping all the individual files, and the several burn##
                                > > directories on the external 2T drive
                                > > for several months in case anything needs to be reburned etc. After
                                > > that, I will clean these out.
                                > >
                                > > J. H. Sullivan, P.E. (retired from CSX)
                                > > Jacksonville, FL

                              • Edward C. Schaub
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 30 3:12 PM
                                  I am in the process of burning all of the southern part of zone 16 including the coastal area where do I  send the DVD. I will keep all the data on my hard drive in case I need to reburn something

                                  --
                                  Edward C. Schaub W5TUT
                                  1305 Concart St.