Re: Zone 13 - 1 meter photos

  • cr4130
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 19 9:15 AM
      I am almost done with the 13 region up to 3905024. I hadn't realized that I bit off that small of a chunk. I have created a new region covering up to 4255100, just north of Pueblo, CO, that I will start when 3905024 is done.

      Henry
    • cr4130
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 19 9:32 AM
        --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "cr4130" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

        > I am almost done with the 13 region up to 3905024. I hadn't realized that I bit off that small of a chunk. I have created a new region covering up to 4255100, just north of Pueblo, CO, that I will start when 3905024 is done.

        Just figured out why it was such a small chunk, I screwed up a coordinate that halved the size (diagonally) so I just repaired it and restarted it. I'll still have plenty of time to do up to 4255100 so nothing else changes, but the time.

        D'oh!

        Henry
      • gnuarm
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 19 10:24 AM
          --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "cr4130" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

          > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "cr4130" <yahoogroups@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am almost done with the 13 region up to 3905024. I hadn't realized that I bit off that small of a chunk. I have created a new region covering up to 4255100, just north of Pueblo, CO, that I will start when 3905024 is done.
          > >

          > Just figured out why it was such a small chunk, I screwed up a coordinate that halved the size (diagonally) so I just repaired it and restarted it. I'll still have plenty of time to do up to 4255100 so nothing else changes, but the time.
          >
          > D'oh!
          >
          > Henry

          Yes, it is easy to mess this up. A couple of times I got coordinates out of order which produces an hour glass shape instead of a rectangle.

          If you do complete this part, why not start on the irregular border area? If you need the region file for that part I can get that. I think you said you wanted to do that region file yourself.

          Whatever works best for you. You seem to have a good handle on doing this. One thing I would request is that you round the northing coordinate range so that the boundary row numbers are multiples of 10 or better 20 or even 100. I think this will work out better when we start sharing these files using bittorrent. I'm thinking we can bundle the files in groups of 100 which will be around 1.7 GB. But its not a big deal. We can make it work no matter what.

          Rick
        • cr4130
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 19 11:11 AM
            --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@...> wrote:

            > Yes, it is easy to mess this up. A couple of times I got coordinates out of order which produces an hour glass shape instead of a rectangle.
            >
            > If you do complete this part, why not start on the irregular border area? If you need the region file for that part I can get that. I think you said you wanted to do that region file yourself.

            I already have the irregular southern border under control in Zone 13. I have the entire border in 1m photos and I am filling in the middle now. I used the TX state outline, stripped the non-13 coords and made the path wider. There were only a few spots that needed patching.

            Something a bit strange happened in USAPM today. My route line width turned into a fat boy, about 200px wide for some reason. A restart didn't fix it. After shutting it down again and editing the color in USAPM.ini it has gone back to normal size, albeit in a more useful color. I used the create route to define the interior region of the irregular southern area after the 1m borders were done.

            > Whatever works best for you. You seem to have a good handle on doing this. One thing I would request is that you round the northing coordinate range so that the boundary row numbers are multiples of 10 or better 20 or even 100. I think this will work out better when we start sharing these files using bittorrent. I'm thinking we can bundle the files in groups of 100 which will be around 1.7 GB. But its not a big deal. We can make it work no matter what.
            >
            > Rick

            Do you mean the file name or northing coord? I haven't started the next region so I can adjust it to a row filename divisible by 100 if that's better.

            I'll have to send the files to someone else as I'll be useless for torrent serving. Most of my bandwidth usage is outgoing from here for our web farm and I just can't spare any more for pro-bono projects between the hours of 6am and midnight EDT. I have a blu-ray burner so it won't be onerous to make discs.

            Henry
          • gnuarm
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 19 11:34 AM
              --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "cr4130" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

              > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@> wrote:
              >
              > > Yes, it is easy to mess this up. A couple of times I got coordinates out of order which produces an hour glass shape instead of a rectangle.
              > >
              > > If you do complete this part, why not start on the irregular border area? If you need the region file for that part I can get that. I think you said you wanted to do that region file yourself.
              > >

              > I already have the irregular southern border under control in Zone 13. I have the entire border in 1m photos and I am filling in the middle now. I used the TX state outline, stripped the non-13 coords and made the path wider. There were only a few spots that needed patching.

              I figured you didn't need help with the region file, I just wanted to offer.

              > Something a bit strange happened in USAPM today. My route line width turned into a fat boy, about 200px wide for some reason. A restart didn't fix it. After shutting it down again and editing the color in USAPM.ini it has gone back to normal size, albeit in a more useful color. I used the create route to define the interior region of the irregular southern area after the 1m borders were done.

              I see a hugely wide route line when I zoom out to 512 meters per pixel in topo view. Otherwise it is fine. Any chance that is what you saw? Or did you see this in all zoom factors? I've never been able to chase it away.

              > > Whatever works best for you. You seem to have a good handle on doing this. One thing I would request is that you round the northing coordinate range so that the boundary row numbers are multiples of 10 or better 20 or even 100. I think this will work out better when we start sharing these files using bittorrent. I'm thinking we can bundle the files in groups of 100 which will be around 1.7 GB. But its not a big deal. We can make it work no matter what.
              > >
              > > Rick
              > >

              > Do you mean the file name or northing coord? I haven't started the next region so I can adjust it to a row filename divisible by 100 if that's better.

              Ideally the file name which is the row number. But like I said, it is not essential. Currently we have zones split at rather arbitrary rows.

              We will have to see what size torrent bundles work best, but my gut feeling is a 1.7 GB bundle of 100 rows is about right. If that is too large for any particular user, they can pick and choose the files from within the bundle that they want. With 100 rows per bundle that will be around 100 bundles for each zone. If we lump together the different file types that will make the total size around 2 GB per bundle (I'm guestimating) which will fit two such bundles on a DVD nicely. But getting the different types of files on a single server will be hard so maybe that won't happen and the different file types will be bundled separately. This is something we can always redo later and even have both types of bundles out there. The bittorrent file only references the files on your disk, it doesn't copy them or compress them in any way.

              > I'll have to send the files to someone else as I'll be useless for torrent serving. Most of my bandwidth usage is outgoing from here for our web farm and I just can't spare any more for pro-bono projects between the hours of 6am and midnight EDT. I have a blu-ray burner so it won't be onerous to make discs.
              >
              > Henry

              Ok, I expect I'll be investing in a Blu-ray drive soon. Between you and Tim it seems like that is the way to get files mailed. Is there anything I need to know when selecting a unit or brand?

              I will say that I am pretty sure the bittorrent program I have allows you to throttle the bandwidth based on time windows. I'll look into that later on.

              Rick
            • cr4130
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 19 12:20 PM
                --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@...> wrote:
                > I see a hugely wide route line when I zoom out to 512 meters per pixel in topo view. Otherwise it is fine. Any chance that is what you saw? Or did you see this in all zoom factors? I've never been able to chase it away.

                Yeah that was it, still happens, what a nuisance.

                > Ideally the file name which is the row number. But like I said, it is not essential. Currently we have zones split at rather arbitrary rows.

                OK, please set my new upper northing to 4240100, which is z13y21200.

                > We will have to see what size torrent bundles work best, but my gut feeling is a 1.7 GB bundle of 100 rows is about right. If that is too large for any particular user, they can pick and choose the files from within the bundle that they want. With 100 rows per bundle that will be around 100 bundles for each zone. If we lump together the different file types that will make the total size around 2 GB per bundle (I'm guestimating) which will fit two such bundles on a DVD nicely. But getting the different types of files on a single server will be hard so maybe that won't happen and the different file types will be bundled separately. This is something we can always redo later and even have both types of bundles out there. The bittorrent file only references the files on your disk, it doesn't copy them or compress them in any way.

                I use µtorrent (microtorrent) for torrents and have a fair amount of experience with it.

                > Ok, I expect I'll be investing in a Blu-ray drive soon. Between you and Tim it seems like that is the way to get files mailed. Is there anything I need to know when selecting a unit or brand?

                I got my Blu-ray burner back in 2007 and I still haven't used it to burn a Blu-ray disk, just DVDs. I hope it works OK, it cost a fortune when I bought it!

                Blu-ray drives have come down to where you can get a Blu-ray reader that will write DVD's for about $50. You can get a Blu-ray burner that also writes DVD's for about $80 and up. I have had pretty good luck with LG and Lite-On when it comes to CD/DVD drives and my current Blu-ray drive is a Lite-On.

                > I will say that I am pretty sure the bittorrent program I have allows you to throttle the bandwidth based on time windows. I'll look into that later on.

                When I download torrents like Pioneer One or Star Trek Phase II episodes I leave µtorrent running until I hit at least a 1:1 ratio so I'm not a leech. I keep the outgoing bandwidth throttled to 20 to 50 KBytes/sec (two T1's are 384 KBytes/sec, a little over 3 megabits/sec) depending on the time of day so as not to impact my paying customers' web sites. I also provide pro-bono web hosting to well over 100 historical and RR enthusiast websites (i am Railfan.net) as well as my own RR sites so there is a lot of suckage happening on my bandwidth. One big RR site customer has 24 gigs of files online and uses nearly 1/4 of the outgoing bandwidth per month. Fortunately the traffic load is heavily outbound so my downloading isn't a problem.

                The problem I foresee with torrents is a lack of seeders. To have an effective torrent setup you want as many seeders as possible for any given bundle. If only one person seeding has the bundle you want and you have a fast connection then you're either going to bleed him dry of bandwidth or he's going to be throttling his outgoing bandwidth and you're going to take forever to get 1.7 GB. Many folks on cable and DSL are capped far lower on their upload speeds than their download speeds. If you get lucky and someone will allow you to download from them at 100 KBytes/sec you might get that 1.7 GB bundle in a little under 5 hours. If you aren't lucky and your download is only running at 25 KB/sec it will take you 20 hours.

                Torrents require a critical mass of seeders, ideally we would want at least 5 people seeding the piece you need, but 10 or more is much better. We're in a situation where we'd be lucky to get two seeders for a given bundle, maybe even only one. We really don't have enough interested and philanthropic parties to run an effective torrent network, at least in the near term.

                I think that distribution via DVD and/or blu-ray might end up being the preferred method.

                Henry
              • gnuarm
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 21 3:50 PM
                  Simon,

                  Here are the region files for the middle of zone 13. They are about 390 rows each or 1550 total. Thanks for working on all this.

                  Rick

                  Region=4
                  Format=UTM
                  13 246300 4550100
                  13 753700 4550100
                  13 756250 4472600
                  13 243750 4472600

                  Region=4
                  Format=UTM
                  13 243750 4472600
                  13 756250 4472600
                  13 758800 4395100
                  13 241200 4395100

                  Region=4
                  Format=UTM
                  13 241200 4395100
                  13 758800 4395100
                  13 761350 4317600
                  13 238650 4317600

                  Region=4
                  Format=UTM
                  13 238650 4317600
                  13 761350 4317600
                  13 763900 4240100
                  13 236100 4240100
                • gnuarm
                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 21 4:11 PM
                    The page I copied in the spread sheet was using 1000 meter pad for the sides, so there won't be a need for a perimeter file.

                    Rick

                  • tubepowerel84@hotmail.com
                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 21 4:31 PM
                      OK

                      --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@...> wrote:

                      > The page I copied in the spread sheet was using 1000 meter pad for the sides, so there won't be a need for a perimeter file.
                      >
                      > Rick
                      >

                      > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Simon,
                      > >
                      > > Here are the region files for the middle of zone 13. They are about 390 rows each or 1550 total. Thanks for working on all this.
                      > >
                      > > Rick
                      > >

                      > > Region=4
                      > > Format=UTM
                      > > 13 246300 4550100
                      > > 13 753700 4550100
                      > > 13 756250 4472600
                      > > 13 243750 4472600
                      > >
                      > > Region=4
                      > > Format=UTM
                      > > 13 243750 4472600
                      > > 13 756250 4472600
                      > > 13 758800 4395100
                      > > 13 241200 4395100
                      > >
                      > > Region=4
                      > > Format=UTM
                      > > 13 241200 4395100
                      > > 13 758800 4395100
                      > > 13 761350 4317600
                      > > 13 238650 4317600
                      > >
                      > > Region=4
                      > > Format=UTM
                      > > 13 238650 4317600
                      > > 13 761350 4317600
                      > > 13 763900 4240100
                      > > 13 236100 4240100

                    • gnuarm
                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 23 12:50 PM
                        Patrick's download is not going as fast as we would like. So I need to give three regions to someone else. Simon, can you do another 900 rows? Here are the region files at the south end of what he is working on. In his set these are regions 13 through 15. They will not need a perimeter file.

                        Rick

                        Region=4
                        Format=UTM
                        13 253220 4726500
                        13 746740 4726500
                        13 748926 4667700
                        13 251046 4667700

                        Region=4
                        Format=UTM
                        13 251046 4667700
                        13 748926 4667700
                        13 751113 4608900
                        13 248873 4608900

                        Region=4
                        Format=UTM
                        13 248873 4608900
                        13 751113 4608900
                        13 753300 4550100
                        13 246700 4550100

                      • tubepowerel84@hotmail.com
                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 23 1:49 PM
                          I have some room to spare, so I'll take this one.

                        • cr4130
                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 24 1:21 PM
                            I'm in terrafetcher hell at the moment. For some unknown reason it keeps stopping dead and the errors start slowly crawling out of it.

                            USAPM still works fine, but any new or restarted TF session won't retrieve tiles anymore. I even exempted it in avast and finally stopped avast with no luck. I can't even reboot at the moment because there is two hours left on a seven hour backup that isn't restartable. Bill Gates' OSes are such a joy to use.

                            I'm like 5 hours or less away from finishing 13 up to 4240100, this is so frustrating. I'm just going to let USAPM download while I wait to reboot.

                            Henry
                          • tubepowerel84@hotmail.com
                            Message 13 of 30 , Apr 24 1:59 PM
                              I recognize the problem, I have the same issue with zone 10 Cali 1m photo. I stop terrafetcher with taskmanager and start it again. After a day or so it stalls again.

                              --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "cr4130" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

                              > I'm in terrafetcher hell at the moment. For some unknown reason it keeps stopping dead and the errors start slowly crawling out of it.
                              >
                              > USAPM still works fine, but any new or restarted TF session won't retrieve tiles anymore. I even exempted it in avast and finally stopped avast with no luck. I can't even reboot at the moment because there is two hours left on a seven hour backup that isn't restartable. Bill Gates' OSes are such a joy to use.
                              >
                              > I'm like 5 hours or less away from finishing 13 up to 4240100, this is so frustrating. I'm just going to let USAPM download while I wait to reboot.
                              >
                              > Henry

                            • cr4130
                              Message 14 of 30 , Apr 24 6:42 PM
                                I restarted a TF (without rebooting) and it took off so I fired up a couple and all should be done before 1am EDT. I have the edges all done and 85% of the area verified is USAPM. barring any more gremlins I should be done with my portion of 13 in the morning.

                                Henry
                              • cr4130
                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 25 12:34 AM
                                  The southern end of zone 13 is done up to 4240100N, file z13y21200, verified edge to edge.

                                  I'm going to start verifying my full set of 4m topos.

                                  Henry
                                • cr4130
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Apr 25 12:39 AM
                                    I guess I should post a summary for the 1m southern zone 13 photos.

                                    It is 10,384 files for a total of 83.1 GB.

                                    Henry
                                  • tubepowerel84@hotmail.com
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Apr 28 11:26 AM
                                      Just finished my Zone 13 1 meter parts. I'll have to check them for errors and give you the definitive size. Otherwise then that, This is finished.

                                    • tubepowerel84@hotmail.com
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Apr 30 5:59 AM
                                        My Zone 13 1 meter parts: All good and size is 40.8 gig.