Re: [USAphotomaps] Re: Weekend... Region Files

  • Timothy Barney
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 14 10:34 PM
      Zone 17 should be ready to burn sometime during daylight this AM.
      Finishing up the urban hi-res for Detroit, and checking "errors" now.
      What is free after?

      Tim

      On 4/14/2012 7:33 PM, gnuarm wrote:

      > I don't remember who asked about where to discuss the 8 meter photos, but I would say do it in the same threads as the 1 meter photos. Henry is handling the 8 meter photos in zones 10 through at least 13 and maybe 14 and 15. So in the other zones 16 through 19 and I suppose the "outer" zones like Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico we need to do the 8 meter photo downloads when we do the 1 meter downloads. At least, until further notice...
      >
      > Rick

    • BigDave
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 15 6:11 AM
        Hi Henry,

        Just to let you know, I've done the 8 meter photos for zone 13, as well as zone 14. I'm now moving on to the 8 meter for zone 15.

        Take care,
        BigDave

        --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "cr4130" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

        > Rick,
        >
        > Do you have me confused with someone else or have I somehow been drafted into something I can't possibly handle? Did I miss something?
        >
        > Was the zone 13 assignment to me also in error?
        >
        > I'm glad to help, but I can't possibly handle zone 13 alone and the 8m photos on top of that wouldn't even begin to get done.
        >
        > Henry

      • cr4130
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 15 9:41 AM
          Rick,

          My zone 13 1m "Time remaining" is now up to 22d11h. We need to split this up. I'm pretty sure I could get the lower half of the zone in time. So far I have 516k tiles.

          I'd really like to do the lower half of zone 13 in four regions.

          Henry
        • gnuarm
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 15 8:40 PM
            I thought you wanted a zone 13 region file to help download the 8 meter photos. But I guess you have them complete so no problem.

            The main point of the message you were replying to is that those who are downloading 1 meter photos in the Eastern zones also need to download the 8 meter photos. But it looks like you are tearing that up so go for it. I know Tim had done all of the imagery for the zones he is working on, 19 and 17.

            Just keep reporting on what you have completed and what you are planning then everyone will know if they need to also do the 8 meter photos. You can post your progress in each of the threads, when you do 8 meter photos in zone 15 report that in the zone 15 thread.

            Thanks,

            Rick

            --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "cr4130" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

            > Rick,
            >
            > Do you have me confused with someone else or have I somehow been drafted into something I can't possibly handle? Did I miss something?
            >
            > Was the zone 13 assignment to me also in error?
            >
            > I'm glad to help, but I can't possibly handle zone 13 alone and the 8m photos on top of that wouldn't even begin to get done.
            >
            > Henry
            >
            > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@> wrote:
            > >

            > > I don't remember who asked about where to discuss the 8 meter photos, but I would say do it in the same threads as the 1 meter photos. Henry is handling the 8 meter photos in zones 10 through at least 13 and maybe 14 and 15. So in the other zones 16 through 19 and I suppose the "outer" zones like Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico we need to do the 8 meter photo downloads when we do the 1 meter downloads. At least, until further notice...
            > >
            > > Rick

          • gnuarm
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 15 8:43 PM
              Opps, I see I have you mixed up with Dave. Sorry...

              Rick

              --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@...> wrote:

              > I thought you wanted a zone 13 region file to help download the 8 meter photos. But I guess you have them complete so no problem.
              >
              > The main point of the message you were replying to is that those who are downloading 1 meter photos in the Eastern zones also need to download the 8 meter photos. But it looks like you are tearing that up so go for it. I know Tim had done all of the imagery for the zones he is working on, 19 and 17.
              >
              > Just keep reporting on what you have completed and what you are planning then everyone will know if they need to also do the 8 meter photos. You can post your progress in each of the threads, when you do 8 meter photos in zone 15 report that in the zone 15 thread.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Rick
              >

              > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "cr4130" <yahoogroups@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Rick,
              > >
              > > Do you have me confused with someone else or have I somehow been drafted into something I can't possibly handle? Did I miss something?
              > >
              > > Was the zone 13 assignment to me also in error?
              > >
              > > I'm glad to help, but I can't possibly handle zone 13 alone and the 8m photos on top of that wouldn't even begin to get done.
              > >
              > > Henry
              > >
              > > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > I don't remember who asked about where to discuss the 8 meter photos, but I would say do it in the same threads as the 1 meter photos. Henry is handling the 8 meter photos in zones 10 through at least 13 and maybe 14 and 15. So in the other zones 16 through 19 and I suppose the "outer" zones like Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico we need to do the 8 meter photo downloads when we do the 1 meter downloads. At least, until further notice...
              > > >
              > > > Rick

            • gnuarm
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 15 10:47 PM
                I just gave half of zone 13 to Patrick, a new downloader, and he will likely get the full zone. The northern half of zone 16 is free from northing 4,200,000 up. Since you have the eastern part of MI already, you might use the state region file to get that area. Then a reasonably simple region file could pick up the eastern half of WI and the rest.

                Let me know if you want any help with the region files.

                Rick

                --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, Timothy Barney <tbarney@...> wrote:

                > Zone 17 should be ready to burn sometime during daylight this AM.
                > Finishing up the urban hi-res for Detroit, and checking "errors" now.
                > What is free after?
                >
                > Tim
                >
                > On 4/14/2012 7:33 PM, gnuarm wrote:
                > >
                > > I don't remember who asked about where to discuss the 8 meter photos, but I would say do it in the same threads as the 1 meter photos. Henry is handling the 8 meter photos in zones 10 through at least 13 and maybe 14 and 15. So in the other zones 16 through 19 and I suppose the "outer" zones like Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico we need to do the 8 meter photo downloads when we do the 1 meter downloads. At least, until further notice...
                > >
                > > Rick

              • Tim Barney
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 16 1:12 PM
                  Yeah, since we're starting to dupe data for sake of completeness now, I'm going to attempt zone 16 in its entirety once I get zone 17 burned. It's giving me trouble since the total data to be burned (about 210gig) is more than the free space I have, so my burning software, which wants to cache the entire data set into disc sized chunks before it burns the first disc. I'm going to burn 17 by hand in disc sized chunks.

                  Tim

                  --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@...> wrote:

                  > I just gave half of zone 13 to Patrick, a new downloader, and he will likely get the full zone. The northern half of zone 16 is free from northing 4,200,000 up. Since you have the eastern part of MI already, you might use the state region file to get that area. Then a reasonably simple region file could pick up the eastern half of WI and the rest.
                  >
                  > Let me know if you want any help with the region files.
                  >
                  > Rick
                  >

                  > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, Timothy Barney <tbarney@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Zone 17 should be ready to burn sometime during daylight this AM.
                  > > Finishing up the urban hi-res for Detroit, and checking "errors" now.
                  > > What is free after?
                  > >
                  > > Tim
                  > >
                  > > On 4/14/2012 7:33 PM, gnuarm wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I don't remember who asked about where to discuss the 8 meter photos, but I would say do it in the same threads as the 1 meter photos. Henry is handling the 8 meter photos in zones 10 through at least 13 and maybe 14 and 15. So in the other zones 16 through 19 and I suppose the "outer" zones like Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico we need to do the 8 meter photo downloads when we do the 1 meter downloads. At least, until further notice...
                  > > >
                  > > > Rick

                • gnuarm
                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 16 1:25 PM
                    We still don't have the urban photos done and 1 meter photos for the southern end of zone 15 is not claimed. I am expecting DBCooper to pick up the southern tip of Texas and the southern end of 15, but I don't know where he is in his download at the moment.

                    How are we on all the various resolutions in the "outlying" zones? Are they as done as they can be? I know there are some resolutions totally missing in some of those zones.

                    It's pretty crazy how they write software sometimes. I have the same problem with DVDs on my laptop. I've got 3 GB of free space and when I write to a DVD in the older format that is backwards compatible it wants 4.5 GB of free space to cache it. Pretty silly, but I expect that simplifies some situations like data being on a network rather than the local hard drive.

                    Rick

                    --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Barney" <tbarney@...> wrote:

                    > Yeah, since we're starting to dupe data for sake of completeness now, I'm going to attempt zone 16 in its entirety once I get zone 17 burned. It's giving me trouble since the total data to be burned (about 210gig) is more than the free space I have, so my burning software, which wants to cache the entire data set into disc sized chunks before it burns the first disc. I'm going to burn 17 by hand in disc sized chunks.
                    >
                    > Tim
                    >
                    > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > I just gave half of zone 13 to Patrick, a new downloader, and he will likely get the full zone. The northern half of zone 16 is free from northing 4,200,000 up. Since you have the eastern part of MI already, you might use the state region file to get that area. Then a reasonably simple region file could pick up the eastern half of WI and the rest.
                    > >
                    > > Let me know if you want any help with the region files.
                    > >
                    > > Rick
                    > >

                    > > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, Timothy Barney <tbarney@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Zone 17 should be ready to burn sometime during daylight this AM.
                    > > > Finishing up the urban hi-res for Detroit, and checking "errors" now.
                    > > > What is free after?
                    > > >
                    > > > Tim

                  • Jerry Sullivan
                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 16 1:39 PM
                      I gather that one of our number just sends a large chunk of data, maybe all of it, to the DVD software and the
                      software then breaks it up in DVD size slices.  I had considered the possibility of zipping the files, as I have the
                      newest version of Pkzip, but sometimes corruption occurs with that, on certain kinds of files, and I don't know
                      what, if any, real compression would occur, so my plan is to do it the hard way.  First, I'll back it all up to this new
                      2T external I bought, and then I'll work it off the hard-drive and select enough files to fill a DVD to about 95%,
                      note the last file, burn the DVD, then starting with the last file, i.e. one file overlap, I'll burn the next.  Tedious,
                      but using the verification option in NERO a DVD burns in about 5 minutes.  Until I started filling gaps, and Rick
                      sent some more region files, I had 13,000 files downloaded, and about 108G.

                      Rick sent me the data to pull the rest of Zone 12, and I'll do that.

                      Jerry Sullivan

                      On 4/16/2012 4:25 PM, gnuarm wrote:

                      We still don't have the urban photos done and 1 meter photos for the southern end of zone 15 is not claimed. I am expecting DBCooper to pick up the southern tip of Texas and the southern end of 15, but I don't know where he is in his download at the moment.

                      How are we on all the various resolutions in the "outlying" zones? Are they as done as they can be? I know there are some resolutions totally missing in some of those zones.

                      It's pretty crazy how they write software sometimes. I have the same problem with DVDs on my laptop. I've got 3 GB of free space and when I write to a DVD in the older format that is backwards compatible it wants 4.5 GB of free space to cache it. Pretty silly, but I expect that simplifies some situations like data being on a network rather than the local hard drive.

                      Rick

                      --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Barney" <tbarney@...> wrote:

                      > Yeah, since we're starting to dupe data for sake of completeness now, I'm going to attempt zone 16 in its entirety once I get zone 17 burned. It's giving me trouble since the total data to be burned (about 210gig) is more than the free space I have, so my burning software, which wants to cache the entire data set into disc sized chunks before it burns the first disc. I'm going to burn 17 by hand in disc sized chunks.
                      >
                      > Tim
                      >
                      > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > I just gave half of zone 13 to Patrick, a new downloader, and he will likely get the full zone. The northern half of zone 16 is free from northing 4,200,000 up. Since you have the eastern part of MI already, you might use the state region file to get that area. Then a reasonably simple region file could pick up the eastern half of WI and the rest.
                      > >
                      > > Let me know if you want any help with the region files.
                      > >
                      > > Rick
                      > >

                      > > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, Timothy Barney <tbarney@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Zone 17 should be ready to burn sometime during daylight this AM.
                      > > > Finishing up the urban hi-res for Detroit, and checking "errors" now.
                      > > > What is free after?
                      > > >
                      > > > Tim

                      No virus found in this message.

                      J. H. Sullivan, Jacksonville
                    • gnuarm
                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 16 1:57 PM
                        Just for a little convenience maybe round the row numbers to multiples of 10? That's around 170 MB increments which should provide enough granularity to not waste too much space. Still, that is going to be some 30 DVDs. That's a lot of burning.

                        Do you have a burning utility or will you be using Windows? I've never cared much for the Windows way.

                        Rick

                        --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Sullivan <jhsulliv@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > > disc sized chunks.
                        > > >
                        > > > Tim
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com

                        > > will likely get the full zone. The northern half of zone 16 is free
                        > > from northing 4,200,000 up. Since you have the eastern part of MI
                        > > already, you might use the state region file to get that area. Then a
                        > > reasonably simple region file could pick up the eastern half of WI and
                        > > the rest.

                        > > now.

                        > > photos, but I would say do it in the same threads as the 1 meter
                        > > photos. Henry is handling the 8 meter photos in zones 10 through at
                        > > least 13 and maybe 14 and 15. So in the other zones 16 through 19 and
                        > > I suppose the "outer" zones like Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico we
                        > > need to do the 8 meter photo downloads when we do the 1 meter
                        > > downloads. At least, until further notice...

                      • Jerry Sullivan
                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 17 3:43 PM
                          Sorry Rick, I just noticed this.  I'll be using NERO, latest release to burn them.  I have used NERO for nearly 10 years in it's
                          various incarnations and it has never failed (yet).  I have two burners on my main pooter, i.e. the one the data is downloading
                          to, and a third burner on a Win-XP machine that is networked to this one, so I have the option of burning on two machines.
                          I figure 30-40 which will take some days to do as I still work full time for a Signal  Contractor, division of WABTEC and so I
                          have only a few hours each evening, plus the weekend.  That is why I am putting the data on a external drive as I get it, just
                          in case--------.

                          When I use NERO, I use the data verification option which makes it take about 8-10 minutes per DVD, but that is the only
                          way one has of knowing reasonably well that things are good.  In any case, I will keep the data on the external drive for several
                          months.

                          Jerry

                          J. H. Sullivan, Jacksonville