Re: The 8 meter photos that I have

  • BigDave
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 13 10:49 PM
      Hi Rick,

      Have you posted any regions for zone 13? I'm working on filling this one for the 8 meter photos now. I got the regions you posted for zone 14. I'll be working eastward as I can, in the 8 meter photos. I'll leave the 1 meter photos and urban photos to those with faster connections. Although, like I posted earlier, I have the "Big" urban photos for zones 10 and 11.

      Also, where should I post my completing each zone of 8 meter photos? I don't see any threads for them, just the 1 meter photos.

      Thanks,
      BigDave
    • BigDave
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 14 8:07 AM
        Hello everyone,

        I have the 8 meter photos for the following zones:

        Zones States (in each zone)
        10 CA
        OR
        WA
        NV

        11 CA
        OR
        WA
        AZ
        NV
        ID
        UT
        MT

        12 AZ
        UT
        ID
        NM
        CO
        WY
        MT

        These zones are complete, edge to edge, east to west, and north to south.

        I'm currently working on zone 13, filling in the edges and missing tiles, and checking for corrupt tiles. After which I'll move on to zone 14, etc.

        With just over two weeks left to go, I don't know that I'll be able to get all the to the east coast. Has anyone been working the 8 meter photos from east to west?

        Take care,
        BigDave

        Note: While there are topos, big and small, for the Farallon Islands, there are no photos for them. The Farallon Islands are west of San Fransisco, in zone 10.
      • Jerry Sullivan
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 14 8:38 AM
          The question on my mind, is about the topo map images.  These older images are valuable when tracing out
          old railroads, roads, trails, or whatever that do not show on current ones.  As these are pretty large, there should
          not be too many of them.  They go in the same directory as the 1 meter maps, but have a different prefix, so that
          once downloaded, they could be seperated easily for storage, burning DVDs or whatever.  The same data files
          can be used to grab the topos and I do understand that the urgency should be on the 1 meter images.

          Jerry Sullivan

          On 4/14/2012 11:07 AM, BigDave wrote:

[...]

          No virus found in this message.

          J. H. Sullivan, Jacksonville
        • cr4130
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 14 9:19 AM
            Jerry,

            The 4 meter topos I have are 138 GB. I have downloaded all the state outlines except for most of Alaska and was filling in the odds and ends by region when I joined in on the 1m and 8m photos preservation project.

            My 64m topos are only 1.18 GB. I'm pretty sure I have all of those.

            Topos can easily be separated out and will fit on six 25 GB blu-ray discs or even better for me, on a $40 hard drive.

            As my primary map interest is railroads, the topo maps were a priority for me. As soon as I heard MSR maps were going away, about a month ago, I started downloading the the topos I didn't already have. I love the fact that some of the railroad line labels are still from the '60s. It puts a smile on my face to see fallen flag names like New York Central, Pennsylvania, Nickel Plate, Wabash, Rock Island, Western Pacific, et al still on the maps :)

            I am positive we already have all the topo data several times over.

            We've only got a couple of weeks to go before the plug is pulled. I sure hope we get all the 1m photos by then.

            Henry

            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 14 9:43 AM
              Hello Jerry,

              From what I understand, from reading elsewhere in the group, is that the topos have already been downloaded by others. I do have the big topos, all 50 states, although I still need to check out the Aleutian Islands to see if there are any topos for them and to see if USAPM will follow them out to zone 59. (Zones 59, 60, 1, 2, 3...) TF will display all 60 zones in it's "Overview".

              So far, all I have in the 4 meter topos is California, Arizona, Hawaii, about half of Washington (S to N, zones 10 and 11) and a little bit along the coast of Oregon.

              With what I have right now, I'm using 54GB disk space, with 46GB left. So, until I can get another drive, I'm kind of limited as to how much I can download and when I'm able to get another drive there'll only be about a week left to download files. I suppose I'll have to start burning files to DVD until then.

              Yours,
              BigDave

            • Jerry Sullivan
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 14 10:30 AM
                BigDave,
                Henry,

                That is good to know.  I don't have a BlueRay burner, so I'll be using 4+G DVD+R discs.  My plan is to burn the data to those,
                put them in a old cannister, and put that in a well padded box and mail it to whoever is going to host the data.  I don't need
                to keep it as I already have the 1m and topo images that I need for my future routes.

                Jerry Sullivan

                Hello Jerry,

                J. H. Sullivan, Jacksonville
              • gnuarm
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 14 2:04 PM
                  Henry,

                  If you have all the topo data at both 64 and 4 meter resolution that is great. Tim has said he had downloaded it all as well and a number of folks have downloaded the 64 meter topo data in full. So we have redundancy there in case there are glitches in any of the data.

                  I am confident we will get all of the 1 and 8 meter photo data as well. We have only been working on this for a couple of weeks and are well on the way to having half of the data downloaded.

                  BTW, my dad was a dispatcher for the B&O, C&O then the CSX railroads and told me about a place on the railroad east of Mt Airy, MD called Plane No 4. Until recently there was a business along the Old National Pike with "Plane No 4" written across the top of the building. But they resided and the writing is gone now. When I researched it the "plane" refers to level stretches between steeper grades where in the early days they had mechanical assists for the engines to get up the hills. I think this was the route of one of the original railroads in the US.

                  Rick

                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 14 2:27 PM
                    Hi Dave,

                    If you are using a cell tower based connection you will have a bigger problem than the disk space. Your contract will likely cut your speed or even cut you off when you hit 5 GB for the month. If they don't do that, they may charge through the nose for the "excess" bandwidth.

                    I tried to get a contract with Verizon once and they, as well as ATT had that limitation. Although I have a friend with an iPhone who got in early and is grandfathered into "unlimited" data. But that only covers his cell phone.

                    Will you have a problem with this?

                    Rick

                    --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "BigDave" <s67bigdave@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Rick,
                    >
                    > My connection speed is back up to 3G, it seems my provider had a network problem, affecting not only me, but a lot of other people as well.
                    >
                    > Actually, I have a couple of options for hooking up to the internet. A 3G MiFi (which is what I'm using now) or using my cellphone as a modem, at 2G, which in practice is only a little faster than dial-up.
                    >
                    > If I was in a location where I had access to a land line, I could also hook up that way. I tend to live and work in remote areas, where cable, DSL, FIOS, etc. are not available.
                    >
                    > A lot of the "scattered" data is due to high error rates in previous d/l attempts. Some of these are the 4 meter topos, which I see here in the group that I don't need to worry about right now, as I should be able to get them later from one or more of the other members. And, the 1 meter photos for California and Arizona, which had a very high error rate, for me.
                    >
                    > So, now I'm back to filling in the zones I have and adding to them. I'm working basically from west to east. I'll continue to work with the 8 meter photos. I'll also need to get a torrent client/server set-up, so that others can access what I have downloaded.
                    >
                    > What kind of file format and size do I need to set-up for the torrent? I know that I'll be starting with *.dta/*.ptr file pairs. But beyond that? And yes, rows must extend across the full zone.
                    >
                    > Note that not all rows extend the full width of the zone, some rows, at the north and south ends of the zones can be just a few tiles. But, then you know this, as you've been setting up region files for us.
                    >
                    > Take care,
                    > BigDave
                    >
                    > --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Ok, good job. I understand about the download speeds. Most of us seem to have some sort of limitation. I actually have limited Internet access as I am in several different places and don't have an ISP in any of them.
                    > >
                    > > As to the other files, "scattered" data is what we need to avoid. We need to download complete rows or we lose data. If I get a bit of one row and you get the other bit they will both be in the same file name. But to merge these means one of us has to download from the other and do a merge on the hard drive. Very messy.
                    > >
                    > > Rick

                  • cr4130
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 14 2:54 PM
                      --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@...> wrote:

                      > Henry,
                      >
                      > If you have all the topo data at both 64 and 4 meter resolution that
                      is great. Tim has said he had downloaded it all as well and a number of
                      folks have downloaded the 64 meter topo data in full. So we have
                      redundancy there in case there are glitches in any of the data.

                      Rick,

                      Yes, I am a big fan of redundancy!

                      > I am confident we will get all of the 1 and 8 meter photo data as
                      well. We have only been working on this for a couple of weeks and are
                      well on the way to having half of the data downloaded.

                      I sure hope so. I had thought we were considerably further than half
                      way.

                      I expect that Monday I'll be able to take on another portion.

                      > BTW, my dad was a dispatcher for the B&O, C&O then the CSX railroads
                      and told me about a place on the railroad east of Mt Airy, MD called
                      Plane No 4. Until recently there was a business along the Old National
                      Pike with "Plane No 4" written across the top of the building. But they
                      resided and the writing is gone now. When I researched it the "plane"
                      refers to level stretches between steeper grades where in the early days
                      they had mechanical assists for the engines to get up the hills. I
                      think this was the route of one of the original railroads in the US.

                      There were four planes at Mt. Airy on the B&O, but they were a nuisance
                      to the RR and less than a decade later they were replaced by the "Mt.
                      Airy" loop. Shortly after 1900 the Mt. Airy Loop itself was replaced by
                      the "Mt. Airy Cutoff" on a more favorable alignment that was closer to
                      the route that included the original planes with a tunnel in place of
                      the planes. The line through Mt. Airy became known as "The Old Main
                      Line." It is in fact one of the oldest railroad routes in the U.S.

                      Henry
                    • BigDave
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 14 4:01 PM
                        Hi Rick,

                        Also, I believe that "Torrents" work best with redundancy, as there are multiple "mirrors" for it choose from. That way, if for some reason one "mirror" goes down, there are others to download from.

                        BigDave

                        --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@...> wrote:

                        > Henry,
                        >
                        > If you have all the topo data at both 64 and 4 meter resolution that is great. Tim has said he had downloaded it all as well and a number of folks have downloaded the 64 meter topo data in full. So we have redundancy there in case there are glitches in any of the data.
                        >
                        > Rick
                      • Jerry Sullivan
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 14 4:25 PM
                          Rick,

                          The line from Baltimore, around through Mt.Airy, to Point of Rocks is called the "Old Line" and it is the
                          original route of the B&O.  Today it is the Old Line Subdivision.  The line from Baltimore to DC is the
                          Capitol Sub., and the line from DC through Point of Rocks to Brunswick is the Metropolitan Sub.

                          We just did a redesign of the Interlockings at the east and west ends of the Brunswick Yard.

                          Jerry Sullivan

                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 14 4:34 PM
                            Hi Rick,

                            The connection I'm using right now is 3G Unlimited Internet from ClearTalk, for $35/month. The main problem, for me with ClearTalk, is its limited service area. Where I'm working right now the speed is 3G, but when I go home I'm then out of their service area. I can still get service, but only at 2G, and for an additional $10/month. Paid by the month.

                            My cellphone is on T-Mobile, which if I had a capable device would be 4G for the first 100MB (and I was in a 4G service area!), dropping to 2G speed after that. This is also an "Unlimited" paid by the month plan. The phone is a Nokia, which can be used as a modem, just hook it up the computer with a USB cable, start the Nokia software, and connect.

                            My current connection on ClearTalk is over 9.5GB data transferred so far, and still going. This is since last night, how much its been for the rest of the month, I don't know. Before I purchased the Mobile HotSpot and service, I asked if there was a data cap and was told, no there's not. On some so called "Unlimited" plans there is.

                            Take care,
                            BigDave

                            --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "gnuarm" <gnuarm.2006@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Dave,
                            >
                            > If you are using a cell tower based connection you will have a bigger problem than the disk space. Your contract will likely cut your speed or even cut you off when you hit 5 GB for the month. If they don't do that, they may charge through the nose for the "excess" bandwidth.
                            >
                            > I tried to get a contract with Verizon once and they, as well as ATT had that limitation. Although I have a friend with an iPhone who got in early and is grandfathered into "unlimited" data. But that only covers his cell phone.
                            >
                            > Will you have a problem with this?
                            >
                            > Rick

                          • BigDave
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 14 5:07 PM
                              Hello everyone,

                              I'm also downloading the 8 meter photos for Alaska. So far there are photos in zones 5 and 6. There no known photos in zones 59, 60 and 1, I don't know about the rest yet.

                              Take care,
                              BigDave
                            • BigDave
                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 15 7:02 AM
                                Hello everyone,

                                The 8 meter photos for zones 13 and 14 can now be added to the list.

                                I'm finishing up downloading zone 15, and downloading the 8m for zone 16. Still checking Alaska for photos, lots of empty space.

                                Take care,
                                BigDave
                              • BigDave
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 15 5:29 PM
                                  Hello everyone,

                                  Zones 5 and 6 in Alaska, and zone 15 can be added to the list of 8 meter photos. That makes 5 and 6, and 10 through 15.

                                  Now I need to pack up and move to another job site. See you all later.

                                  Take care,
                                  BigDave
                                • gnuarm
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 15 9:31 PM
                                    The state region files are done from information provided by the USGS I believe and so should include complete outlines of HI and Alaska as well as PR. Tim may have done the 8 meter photos for these already, but if you want to make sure we have the full set of images you can use the state outline region files which will download everything in all zones they are in. This might get around some of the complications of USAPM and TF thinking you are outside the "USA". But it won't do anything about map info that just isn't on the server.

                                    Rick

                                    --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "BigDave" <s67bigdave@...> wrote:

                                    > Hello everyone,
                                    >
                                    > Zones 5 and 6 in Alaska, and zone 15 can be added to the list of 8 meter photos. That makes 5 and 6, and 10 through 15.
                                    >
                                    > Now I need to pack up and move to another job site. See you all later.
                                    >
                                    > Take care,
                                    > BigDave

                                  • BigDave
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 26 11:57 AM
                                      Hello everyone,

                                      Zone 16 can now be added to the list. I will continue on with zone 17. Due to my current connection speed, I may or may not, be able to complete zone 17 or move past it to zone 18, etc., so I hope someone else has the 8m photos for zones 17 and east.

                                      I also have most of the 8m photos for PR, zones 19 and 20. Zone 20 is finished, I just need to do the coastlines for zone 19.

                                      Take care,
                                      BigDave
                                    • cr4130
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 26 12:25 PM
                                        --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "BigDave" <s67bigdave@...> wrote:

                                        > Hello everyone,
                                        >
                                        > Zone 16 can now be added to the list. I will continue on with zone 17. Due to my current connection speed, I may or may not, be able to complete zone 17 or move past it to zone 18, etc., so I hope someone else has the 8m photos for zones 17 and east.
                                        >
                                        > I also have most of the 8m photos for PR, zones 19 and 20. Zone 20 is finished, I just need to do the coastlines for zone 19.
                                        >
                                        > Take care,
                                        > BigDave

                                        Dave,

                                        I'll have zone 17 done soon and Rick and I have zone 18 covered between us.

                                        Maybe start on zone 19?

                                        Henry
                                      • gnuarm
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 26 2:30 PM
                                          Zone 17, 18 and 19 are covered I'm pretty sure both in 1 meter and 8 meter photos. Tim can respond since he did zones 17 and 19 in photos, but I am sure he said he did both resolutions. Henry and I have covered zone 18 in both resolutions... assuming I get the 1 meter photos done.

                                          Rick

                                          --- In USAphotomaps@yahoogroups.com, "BigDave" <s67bigdave@...> wrote:

                                          > Hello everyone,
                                          >
                                          > Zone 16 can now be added to the list. I will continue on with zone 17. Due to my current connection speed, I may or may not, be able to complete zone 17 or move past it to zone 18, etc., so I hope someone else has the 8m photos for zones 17 and east.
                                          >
                                          > I also have most of the 8m photos for PR, zones 19 and 20. Zone 20 is finished, I just need to do the coastlines for zone 19.
                                          >
                                          > Take care,
                                          > BigDave

                                        • BigDave
                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 1, 2012
                                            Hi everyone,

                                            I have the 8 meter photos for zones 19 and 20.

                                            These zones are complete, edge to edge, east to west, and north to south. This includes Puerto Rico, zones 19 and 20.

                                            Unfortunately, I was unable to complete zones 17 and 18. For some reason, my phone started rebooting whenever I try using it as a modem. Is T-Mobile trying to tell me that I'm downloading too much?

                                            Take care,
                                            BigDave
                                          • BigDave
                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 2, 2012
                                              Hello everyone,

                                              Here's what I have in the way of 8 meter photos, the file counts include both the .dta and the .ptr files.

                                              Zone 5: 424 files, z05y4087 to z05y4923 - 56.9 MB (59,740,651 B) - 57.6 MB (60,997,632 B) on disk

                                              Zone 6: 408 files, z06y4158 to z06y4505 - 78.1 MB (81,929,909 B) - 78.8 MB (83,099,648 B) on disk

                                              Zone 10: 2064 files, z10y2344 to z10y3395 - 1.57 GB (1,694,395,739 B) - 1.58 GB (1,699,962,880 B) on disk

                                              Zone 11: 2338 files, z11y2227 to z11y3395 - 2.5 GB (2,691,818,464 B) - 2.5 GB (2,697,515,008 B) on disk

                                              Zone 12: 2468 files, z12y2164 to z12y3397 - 2.82 GB (3,038,540,219 B) - 2.83 GB (3,044,560,896 B) on disk

                                              Zone 13: 2796 files, z13y2001 to z13y3398 - 3.01 GB (3,241,633,506 B) - 3.02 GB (3,248,467,968 B) on disk

                                              Zone 14: 3228 files, z14y1784 to z14y3397 - 3.44 GB (3,696,289,757 B) - 3.44 GB (3,704,262,656 B) on disk

                                              Zone 15: 2888 files, z15y1976 to z15y3424 - 3.49 GB (3,755,767,147 B) - 3.50 GB (3,762,745,344 B) on disk

                                              Zone 16: 2646 files, z16y1997 to z16y3340 - 2.88 GB (3,099,973,411 B) - 2.88 GB (3,106,492,416 B) on disk

                                              Zone 19: 982 files, z19y1235 to z19y3279 - 412 MB (432,531,411 B) - 415 MB (435,306,496 B) on disk

                                              Zone 20: 82 files, z20y1240 to z20y1280 - 3.55 MB (3,729,282 B) - 3.70 MB (3,969,024 B) on disk

                                              Zone 17: incomplete
                                              Southern region - 1510 files, z17y1693 to z17y2447 - 1.34 GB (1,443,379,888 B) - 1.34 GB (1,447,428,096 B) on disk
                                              SW corner 379200e 2708800n (Florida Keys)(farthest south)
                                              (SW corner 209600e 3321600n (near Perry, FL)(farthest west))
                                              NW corner 225600e 3915200n
                                              NE corner 774400e 3915200n

                                              The rest of zone 17, that I have, is scattered from z17y2448 to z17y3195 in 1448 files, totaling 608 MB (612 MB on disk.)

                                              Zone 18: incomplete
                                              Southern region - 216 files, z18y2340 to z18y2447 - 35.8 MB (37,559,632 B) - 36.1 MB (38,182,912 B) on disk
                                              SW corner 220800e 3744000n
                                              NE corner 460800e 3915200n
                                              Northern region - 32 files, z18y3106 to z18y3121 - 14.6 MB (15,391,196 B) - 14.6 MB (15,478,784 B) on disk
                                              SW corner 478400e 4969600n
                                              NE corner 737600e 4995200n

                                              The rest of zone 18, that I have, is scattered from z18y2448 to z18y3105 in 1316 files, totaling 391 MB (394 MB on disk.)

                                              Between all the files (52,452) I have, the 4m and 64m topos, the 1m and 8m photos, and the 0.25m and 1m Urban photos, I have about 62.5 GB of data. The above files for the 8m photos and the 64m topos, are the only ones that can be considered complete.

                                              Take care,
                                              BigDave

                                              PS, Today my phone is back to normal, no rebooting. (Sure, after the msrmaps server is shut down.)
                                            • BigDave
                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 11, 2012
                                                Hello everyone,

                                                The 8 meter photos for zones 17 and 18 can now be added to the list. Finally!

                                                Zone 17: 2958 files, z17y1693 to z17y3195 (.dta and .ptr) 2.77 GB (2,978,789,826 B) - 2.78 GB (2,986,557,440 B) on disk

                                                Zone 18: 1564 files, z18y2340 to z18y3121 (.dta and .ptr) 1.15 GB (1,245,528,107 bytes) - 1.16 GB (1,249,718,272 bytes) on disk

                                                Take care,
                                                BigDave