Governor Davis' Press Secretary Steve Maviglio Answers Danney Ball

  • California Politics
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2003
      From: California Politics
      To: info@...
      Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 12:14 AM
      Subject: Governor Davis' Press Secretary Steve Maviglio Answers Danney Ball

      The plot thickens ...

      according to Governor Davis' Press Secretary Steve Maviglio:

      > In summer 2001, the energy efficiency and
      > voluntary conservation programs achieved an estimated 3,100 megawatts of
      > savings, of which 2,550 megawatts were attributed to the Flex Your Power Public
      > awareness campaign, and the Flex Your Power 20/20 rebate program. (One megawatt
      > is enough electricity to power 1 million homes.)

      Reuben Thonerfelt, PE (Professional Electrical Engineer) says about this:

      One megawatt is one million watts. Maviglio would provide one watt to each
      household! Actually, the number of watts is immaterial; what counts is the number
      of watt-hours ( or mega-watt-hours ), which is the measure of the AMOUNT of
      electricity generated or used. A watt or megawatt is a measure of the RATE of
      generation or consumption. Furthermore, it is MOST important to ask just how this
      energy is "saved"; in the case of hydroelectrically generated electricity the
      forebearance of "using" the electricity doesn't change water flow... the water
      continues to move downstream whether it generates electical power along the way
      or not. If it isn't used then the energy is not saved; it is merely "lost". In this way the
      apparent savings are actually losses. Similarly for electricity obtained from burning
      gas, oil, or coal; the savings are only obtained if the fuel tanks remain untapped; in
      fact the flow of fuel was probably undiminished and the apparent power savings
      were simply a diversion of power to non-California-residential consumers.

      ... and here is my op-ed that drew the fire ...

      DAVIS CALLS IN MEDIA MARKERS
      By Danney Ball

      Here they come! All of those carefully selected op-editorials
      to bash the recall. Same story - different day. How did I know
      this would happen? More to the point - why am I the only
      person in California who noticed this payoff to the press?

      It was called "Flex-Your Power" and it cost you and I eight
      hundred million dollars ... that's right - as in 800 million bucks.
      It was the advertising blitz that came too late. It was the ad
      campaign to get Californians to save electricity. Only problem
      is ... it was instituted after the first blackouts - and AFTER
      residents of the state had already gotten the message and cut
      back drastically on their own.

      As far as I can tell the money was spent by the governor with
      no oversight, no vote, and nobody else's approval. Gray Davis
      just wrote a check to the advertising outlets all over the state
      for 4/5 of a billion dollars. Did anyone notice how right after
      that there were tons of reporters and camera crews showing up
      to report on the governor doing - whatever?

      So now the chips are down. I can just picture the governor
      on the phone to the metro daily publishers ... "remember those
      10 million dollar checks I sent you last year?" ... "glad to be
      of service" ... oh and by the way ... so-and-so will be sending
      you a great piece he wrote blasting the recall - RUN IT!

      Never mind that the amount they say the special election will
      cost of 25 million dollars is just about what Gray Davis' mistakes
      will be costing us for the next 3 years - PER DAY! I say let's
      get the bum out! ... and not a moment too soon.

      By the way, this will be sent to all of the newspapers in
      California. Do I expect that they will print it? There are some
      who will. To date, none of them have bothered to put a
      reporter on it, or to really get to the bottom of this important
      dereliction of duty by our chief executive. So feel free to
      forward or send parts of it as a letter to the editor.

      We must continue to hold our elected officials ... and our
      free press ... accountable for the things they say and do.

      *NOTE: It seems that some of this funding was supported by the
      democrat dominated state legislature ... but the clear fact is that
      the 800 million dollars was spent AFTER the first warnings of
      blackouts came and the citizens of California cut back on energy
      usage by more than 15% ... without the ad campaign. ... db

      As usual the Gov's office skating around the issue ... did they

      miss the point on purpose? ... the 800 million was spent AFTER

      Californians cut back on electricity ON THEIR OWN ... just

      another waste of taxpayers money ... and I was told personally

      by a high ranking member of the state legislature that this money

      was spent on EXECUTIVE ORDER ... with no oversight by

      the state legislature ... funny too ... that no reporter in the entire

      state challenged my newsletter info ... wonder why Steve ... ???

      Danney Ball ... (see below)

      Governor's press secretary Steve Maviglio answers Danney Ball

      >From The Daily Independant - June 2, 2003

      Editor:

      Danney Ball's scornful May 18 comments about the state's Flex Your Power energy conservation program as an ineffectual " ad campaign" are both irresponsible and uninformed. The $800 million Flex Your Power plan, created by the Davis Administration and authorized by the Legislature was comprehensive, funding not only the ad campaign but also a range of energy efficiency and energy conservation programs through seven state agencies for California consumers, businesses, industries, schools, hospitals, farms, and local government facilities.

      Vice President Cheney had scoffed at the value of conservation, energy industry flacks had warned of a summer of rolling blackouts in 2001, saying conservation would not be enough without harsh rate increases. Yet, all were proved wrong, as a combination of new power plants, long-term power contracts and unprecedented conservation by Californians kept that summer blackout free.

      The Flex Your Power energy efficiency projects and conservation efforts began saving electricity immediately. In summer 2001, the energy efficiency and voluntary conservation programs achieved an estimated 3,100 megawatts of savings, of which 2,550 megawatts were attributed to the Flex Your Power Public awareness campaign, and the Flex Your Power 20/20 rebate program. (One megawatt is enough electricity to power 1 million homes.) On June 21, one of the hotter days of the summer, conservation efforts reached a record high of 5,570 megawatts savings.

      The last blackout in California was May 8, 2001. But electricity supplies were hardly plentiful. From June 2001 through October 2001, the state' s Independent System Operator issued over two dozen Stage 1 or Stage 2 alerts. Without the Flex Your Power programs to reduce electricity demand and the public awareness campaign, California could easily have moved into a series of Stage 3 alerts and experienced rolling blackouts throughout the summer.

      Though the energy crisis is behind us, the need for conservation remains great. The state of California continues to use the Flex Your Power program. The "Flex Your Power - It' s a way of life "conservation messages continue to be relevant this summer. The Public Utilities Commission continues to fund the Flex Your Power efforts to reduce electricity consumption through public awareness.

      Steven Maviglio

      Press Secretary to Gov. Gray Davis

      Danney Ball For The United States Senate In California 2004
      Candidate #S4CA00217 - *Committee #C00386763
      http://www.beatboxer.com - email: info@...
      Campaign Hdqrters: 140 E. Stetson Ave - Hemet, Ca 92543
      *Committee To Elect Danney Ball To The U.S. Senate
      Booking & Interviews: Ph. 909-658-6494 - Mobile: 909-805-8195