Tampa: Brian Kilmeade of Fox News interviews Condi after "The View" but before the Super Bowl

  • Peter Dow
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2009
      Tampa: Brian Kilmeade of Fox News interviews Condi after "The View" but before the Super Bowl
      The former Secretary of State winds down in Tampa. Hockey. The Super Bowl. Appearing on The View. President Bush. Google gossip. America doing what is right. Respecting successor's chance with the reins.
      http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SXwnhTSIdxY

      Brian Kilmeade of Fox News sits down with the former Secretary of State
      January 31st, 2009

      Transcript

      Brian Kilmeade - "I never thought I'd see you at a hockey game. I knew you loved sports but what's with hockey?"

      Condoleezza Rice - "Well I went to the University of Denver. The University of Denver didn't have a football team but it had a national championship hockey team and so I've been a hockey fan for a long, long time."

      Brian Kilmeade - "I think I'm seeing somebody who is decompressing. Am I right?"

      Condoleezza Rice - "Well of course. It's nice to be done. But 8 years is a long time and it's kind of fun to come here to Tampa. I got to go to a hockey game. I'm going to go to the Super Bowl, play a little golf tomorrow."

      Brian Kilmeade - "Has it been 8 years truly now that you are out, without a vacation. Has it?"

      Condoleezza Rice - "Pretty close. I went on vacations but I used to joke with people that you would go to some place and spend the whole time on the telephone but at least it was a nice place that you were in."

      Brian Kilmeade - "What do you think about the game that's coming up and why is it important for you to be here?"

      Condoleezza Rice - "Well it's important because I am a football fan and I'm excited about being here and I'm looking forward to the game and I know a lot of people are not as excited about this match-up but I think it is great that Arizona is in its first Super Bowl."

      Brian Kilmeade - "There's a lot of decisions you made that a lot of people don't agree with but there's one decision you made that I can't understand and that is to go on "The View". What were you thinking, how was it and why did you do it?"

      Condoleezza Rice - "You know it was Barbara Walters who invited me to come on "The View" and I have a lot of respect for her. She's a real trail-blazer but I had a great time.

      Brian Kilmeade - "A couple of nights ago, the President, the former President was out for the first time."

      Condoleezza Rice - "So I hear - the Baylor basketball game."

      Brian Kilmeade - "Standing ovation. What does that mean to him?"

      Condoleezza Rice - "Well it's great because this President served well. He not just kept us safe but he advanced both American interests and values and history is a funny thing. I think in time people will understand how much this President did."

      Brian Kilmeade - "Tell me this if you google "Condoleeza Rice" a lot comes up. I don't know if you realise that. One thing that came up is that you are going to go back to Stanford."

      Condoleezza Rice - "Right."

      Brian Kilmeade - "Correct. Number 2 is that you signed with William Morris?"

      Condoleezza Rice - "Right."

      Brian Kilmeade - "Number 3 is that you look like you're going to be ... looking to write a book?"

      Condoleezza Rice - "That's right. I'll write a couple of books I think."

      Brian Kilmeade - "All right. Number 4 which I think you might want to dispute is you're going to be Pac-10 commissioner?"

      Condoleezza Rice - "Yeah I'm not going to be Pac-10 commissioner."

      Brian Kilmeade - "That keeps coming up though."

      Condoleezza Rice - "I know it keeps coming up and I love the Pac-10. Maybe it is because everybody knows I have been defending the Pac-10 out on the east coast for the last 8 years."

      Brian Kilmeade - "There is a perception out there that America is no longer loved or liked that we don't have friends could you tell us the reality as you know it?"

      Condoleezza Rice - "Oh I think there are places in the world that they don't like our policies but that's always been the case. I remember when Ronald Reagan was in office there were a million people in the streets in Europe protesting because President Reagan had decided to deploy missiles in Europe and it turns out that that was one of the best decisions. It really led to some major conflicts and changes in Soviet policy and probably, in a small way, helped to hasten the end of the Soviet Union so you have to do what is right."

      Brian Kilmeade - "You've built a lot of things. I mean we can't see it but you know you've built those relationships."

      Condoleezza Rice - "Right."

      Brian Kilmeade - "Where are you most concerned. Where are you.. look where are you most tempted to pick up the phone and say how are we doing ..."

      Condoleezza Rice - "I'm not."

      Brian Kilmeade - "You've really closed the book?"

      Condoleezza Rice - "I'm not. My successor, for whom I have a lot of respect, now has the reins and she deserves the chance to do it her way. "

      "This is where you tie the reins to" Condi shows her successor the ropes.

      Brian Kilmeade - "Finally, because I know you want to get back to the hockey game, will you have cable and will you watch us now that you have more time?"

      Condoleezza Rice - "Of course I'll watch you."

      Peter Dow comments - Missing you already Condi dearest.