Hooray for Michigan State University (The Spartans) and Professor Wichman!!!

  • Doc Farmer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2007
      _____

      This was checked at Snopes.com - the letter, and the story, are TRUE!

      <http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/wichman.asp>
      http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/wichman.asp

      _____

      Hooray for Michigan State University (The Spartans) and Professor Wichman!!!

      Well, what do we have here. Looks like a small case of some people being
      able to dish it out, but not take it. Let's start at the top. The story
      begins at Michigan State University with a mechanical engineering professor
      named Indrek Wichman.

      Wichman sent an e-mail to the Muslim Student's Association. The e-mail was
      the Prophet Muhammad as a terrorist. The group had complained the cartoons
      were "hate speech."

      Enter Professor Wichman. In his e-mail, he said the following:

      Dear Moslem Association:

      As a professor of Mechanical Engineering here at MSU I intend to protest
      your protest. I am offended not by cartoons, but by more mundane things like
      beheadings of civilians, cowardly attacks on public buildings, suicide
      murders, murders of Catholic priests (the latest in Turkey!), burnings of
      Christian churches, the continued persecution of Coptic Christians in Egypt,
      the imposition of Sharia law on non-Muslims, the rapes of Scandinavian girls
      and women (called "whores" in your culture), the murder of film directors in
      Holland, and the rioting and looting in Paris France.

      This is what offends me, a soft-spoken person and academic, and many, many,
      many of my colleagues. I counsel you dissatisfied, aggressive, brutal, and
      uncivilized slave-trading Moslems to be very aware of this as you proceeded
      with your infantile "protests." If you do not like the values of the West -
      see the 1st Amendment - you are free to leave.

      I hope for God's sake that most of you choose that option.

      Please return to your ancestral homelands and build them up yourselves
      instead of troubling Americans.

      Cordially,

      I. S. Wichman, Professor of Mechanical Engineering

      Well! As you can imagine, the Muslim group at the university didn't like
      this too well. They're demanding Wichman be reprimanded and mandatory
      diversity training for faculty and a seminar on hate and discrimination for
      freshman. How nice. But now the Michigan chapter of CAIR has jumped into the
      fray. CAIR, the Council on American-Islamic Relations, apparently doesn't
      believe that the good professor had the right to express his opinion.

      For its part, the university is standing its ground. They say the e-mail was
      private, and they don't intend to publicly condemn his remarks. That will
      probably change. Wichman says he never intended the e-mail to be made
      public, and wouldn't have used the same strong language if he'd known it was
      going to get out.

      How's the left going to handle this one? If you're in favor of the freedom
      of speech, as in the case of Ward Churchill, will the same protections be
      demanded for Indrek Wichman? I doubt it.

      Hey folks, send this to everybody and ask them to do the same and tell them
      to keep passing it around till the whole country gets it.

      We are in a war.

      _____