Re: [USAICO] Rule 5.1.024 "Plank Sections"

    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 21 5:09 PM
      But only if they have the right licenses...

      I think that was another e-mail list, Tom.

      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 21 6:36 PM
        Tom,

        The only change I saw here is that now you can have 6 obstacles rather than
        4 from previous years.

        How do you interpret that to mean adding logs? Why wouldn't a log be an
        artificial barrier, if it wasn't already part of the landscape?

        I think if you actually built a set of stairs (even log stairs) that were
        "part of the landscape" you'd be be ok. But if you just dropped a few logs
        around the course?

        Rob from Tailwind had asked me the same question so I'm glad we're talking
        about it.

        Adam

        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 21 7:28 PM
          We have on our course currently 4 fallen trees, that
          have had extraneous boughs removed to render them in a
          log like fashion. One had to be removed as it was on
          a small downhill, and thus deemed non uci compliant.
          One is currently mobile, and will be removed for the
          beginners, and replaced for the rest of the fields.
          The other 2 are remaining for all fields. During set
          up, I can bunny hop them at will, which, in my
          humblest of interpretations as a lowly cat 4 official,
          "obliges but does not require" a rider to dismount. We
          also have a plank section, of uci mandated barriers.
          My BIG question, in all seriousness, is

          Are natural obstacles governed by any height/size
          restrictions other than the boundaries of good common
          sense?????

          myles
          Myles

          http://vote.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 21 8:12 PM
            If it's moveable, how is it not artificial? Because it's a tree?

            I don't know who your official is, but you'll never get away with it!

            Guys, the point is that it has to be a permanent part of the landscape to be
            a natural obstacle. Strewn logs and downed trees ain't it.

            Adam

            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 21 8:13 PM

              I just read the new rules with out trying to figure out their intent.

              We had this messed up text From last years 5.1.023  "the course can comprise on artificial obstacle..... blah blah" is gone.

              So….. The rule reads:

              5.1.023

              The course may include no more than six obstacles.

              Obstacle shall mean any part of the course which is likely to require riders to dismount.

              The length of an obstacle may not exceed 80 metres.

              The total length of obstacles may not exceed 10% of the course.

              Descents of flights of steps may not be used.

              (text modified on 1.08.00; 1.09.04).

              10185-05 cyclo-E 17/08/04 11:00

              So the current Definition of an obstacle = “any part of the course which is likely to require riders to dismount”

              Now if you use planks for an obstacles then you consult 5.1.024 Which by my reading applies only to plank barriers.

              Other parts of the current rules prohibit steel and barb wire and anything unsafe. Other then that you can play with hills, sand, logs, roots, curbs etc etc.

              Just for fun check the date of your “new rules” mine were updated Aug 17th 2004.

              Tom McD

              WWR

              GCX

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/iXCylB/TM

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 21 8:26 PM

                Oh in addition to all of that they used logs at CX worlds in France last year.  JD sent me proof on DVD.

                They spaced them about 2m apart….8 or ten 4” to 6” logs about 20 Meters of running.  It was inherently rabbit unfriendly.

                Personally I like one obstacle that is hop friendly on a course… but set up so it doesn’t give a huge advantage.  Like maybe you could pick up one bike length on  a good runner.

                The only change I saw here is that now you can have 6 obstacles rather than

                4 from previous years.

                How do you interpret that to mean adding logs? Why wouldn't a log be an

                artificial barrier, if it wasn't already part of the landscape?

                I think if you actually built a set of stairs (even log stairs) that were

                "part of the landscape" you'd be be ok. But if you just dropped a few logs

                around the course?

                Rob from Tailwind had asked me the same question so I'm glad we're talking

                about it.

                Adam

                on 9/21/04 8:00 PM, Tom McDaniel at ctmcdaniel@... wrote:

                > 5.1.023 Is a very flexible rule and leaves lots of room to put in obstacles

                > to force riders off their bike.

                > At Granogue I am likely to add a few 4" to 6" logs here and there in a way

                > "which is likely to require riders to dismount".

                > I agree with Adam that American and Canadian women and Jrs can go over plank

                > barriers.

                > Tom McDaniel

                > Wooden Wheels Racing

                > Granogue Cyclo-Cross

                > 5.1.023

                > The course may include no more than six obstacles. Obstacle shall mean any

                > part of the course which is likely to require riders to dismount.

                > The length of an obstacle may not exceed 80 metres. The total length of

                > obstacles

                > may not exceed 10% of the course.

                > Descents of flights of steps may not be used.

                > (text modified on 1.08.00; 1.09.04).

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/iXCylB/TM

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Tom Stevens
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 21 8:41 PM
                  In reference to the talk about course obstacles; I just now looked at the current UCI Cross regulations on the UCI web site. The language about a pair of planks is still there as well as the up to 6 obstacle language.
                  Tom Stevens

                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 22 3:43 AM
                    I can understand the statement as to how a tree
                    differs from another such obstacle like a hill, sand,
                    etc. But then are we sayin a tree to heavy to move is
                    an obstacle? Are we also saying that trees are not
                    considered a natural material by the UCI? Do they
                    have hidden swiss factories to produce artifical
                    trees?? It would seem to me that the rule is writen
                    in such a way as to encompass trees, stairs, sand,
                    gravel, hills, etc.

                    They have given us a MAXIMUM length said obstacle can
                    be, and a maximum percentage of the course. In no
                    verbage have they given us a minimum distance, which
                    would seem to be an easy way to eliminate fallen
                    trees.. (eg Individual obstacles shall be no MORE than
                    80m in lenght, and greater than 5m in length. Verbage
                    like this would eliminate trees, unless of course they
                    ar greater that 5 metres wide.. which is one hell of a
                    bunny hop..) THey even go into details on which items
                    cannot be used, descents of steps. In no location
                    does it mention fallen trees.

                    Additionally, fallen trees/logs are not mentioned in
                    the really really really bad things your course cannot
                    have section. According to the UCI you can't use
                    stairs... Obstables are deemed "any part of the course
                    that is likely to require the riders to dismount."
                    Well 10 stairs going uphill are DEFINITELY going to
                    require someone to dismount. So those are out too.

                    I think the lack of trees/fallen logs is bullshit.
                    Sure our course may actually be too hard with them in,
                    but we do have the facilities to remove them on race
                    day. With a course description of "A Cyclo-cross
                    course shall include road, country and forest paths
                    and meadowland ..." the possibility of encountering
                    such an obstacle is very very high.. I think if they
                    wished to eliminate such obstacles, they should have
                    mentioned specific verbage. Our trees, are less than
                    80m long, are only likely to require a dismount, and
                    stretch the width of the course...

                    myles

                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 22 3:49 AM
                      Also, in no part of MY uci rules does it state that an
                      obstacle must be a permanent part of the landscape..
                      However, given the deterioration rate for 18" thick
                      non rotted peice of wood with respectable tree cover,
                      it would likely naturally degrade in 130-160 years or
                      so...

                      Also regarding stairs, or log stairs... I'm saying
                      there out. "likely to require" is the key.. NOT
                      definitely require... Personally, my criteria is the
                      wacky UCI guidelines.. Then I give Feinberg a six pack
                      to see if he can ride it without crashing at race
                      pace.. If he can pull it off, then I'm saying it's
                      only LIKELY to require dismounting..

                      myles

                      http://vote.yahoo.com
                    • Burgess Brian

                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 22 5:05 AM
                          Hey, what can I say.. I did have to study a lot of
                          statistics at school... 100% of the time is DEFINITE..
                          Past UCI rules seemed to be written up to remove
                          Definite from the vocabulary. (51%-99% is likely,
                          although much more is one than the other..)

                          Personally I don't care one way or another what the
                          courses are made up with. Logs, sure.. Stairs, sure,
                          windy twisty forest paths of exactly 3m width? sure..
                          What do I care... It's cross. Part of the whole thing
                          is making the best possible course out of what you got
                          in your particular scenario.. I think the UCI rules
                          are merely trying to bring some uniformity to the
                          races that bear their name to insure

                          1-consistency of courses
                          2-safety
                          3-quality of race course
                          4-ease of access for media et all

                          I dont' know if something in the laws was lost in
                          translation, or not. But in my interpretation there
                          is nothign that states the logs are out, provided they
                          are part of the count of obstacles.. If someone else
                          has a different interpretation, provided they can
                          justify and defend their opinions, so be it. If there
                          is in fact supposed to be ONE other SOLITARY
                          interpretation, then I would venture it should be
                          adopted as a RULE and written out clearly as such.

                          Myles

                          http://vote.yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 22 6:34 AM
                            Those "logs" were steps built into the ground, though. They were packed in
                            with dirt. I have proof because I WAS THERE! So was JD. That's my point.
                            They were permanent (or at least semi-permanent) parts of the landscape.
                            That's how they got around the rule. They weren't just moving phone poles
                            around on race day.

                            Adam

                          • sovek@cox.net
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 22 6:51 AM

                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 22 6:55 AM
                                You guys have to remember that a) these rules were written in another
                                language and translated, and b) they're written by someone who's made some
                                assumptions that the people reading them have a certain frame of reference
                                already. That is, they know the situations the rules are trying to address.

                                When I read these two rules, from the latest version:

                                5.1.023 The course may include no more than six obstacles. Obstacle shall
                                mean any part of the course which is likely to require riders to dismount.
                                The length of an obstacle may not exceed 80 metres. The total length of
                                obstacles may not exceed 10% of the course. Descents of flights of steps may
                                not be used.

                                5.1.024 The course may include a single section of planks. This obstacle
                                must consist of two planks placed 4 m apart. The planks must be solid for
                                their entire height and not made of metal. They must have a height of 40 cm
                                and extend the entire width of the course. In races for Junior Men and
                                Women, it is recommended that a parallel course avoiding this obstacle
                                should be used. In the event that the course is abnormally slippery, the
                                plank section must be removed on the decision of the president of the
                                commissaires' panel in consultation with the organiser and, should he be
                                present, the UCI technical delegate or the Cyclo-cross coordinator.

                                What I read them to mean is that obstacles are just what it says. Anything
                                that will likely force a dismount that's part of the course. A section of
                                sand, mud, a steep hill, an off-camber turn, a flight of stairs.

                                But then, if you're going to ADD something to force a dismount, you can add
                                add a single section of planks, and here's how the planks have to be. I read
                                that as if you simply laid down two logs across the trail, they're operating
                                as a set of planks.

                                If you put those logs into the side of a hill and packed them up with dirt
                                so that they were more like a permanent set of stairs than an approximation
                                of a set of planks, then you'd be OK. Which is what they did at worlds last
                                year.

                                Stairs are ok, they just can't go downhill.

                                I agree, these rules could and should be even more specific about what can
                                and can't be used. But again, in my opinion, they're written with some
                                understanding that, for instance, the reader knows what a "plank" is, and
                                understands the intent of the rule.

                                The intent of the rule, again, IMO, is that you should be forcing up to 6
                                dismounts with good course design and landscape rather than placed barriers.
                                But you can still place one set of barriers, and if you do, here's how they
                                should look.

                                If you go looking for loopholes in the rules so you can make the riders jump
                                through hoops, you should just give out bananas as prizes and call it a
                                circus.

                                Adam

                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 22 8:30 AM
                                  If there is no 'definite' in the current regs, than 'likely' is anything 51% and up. If they're not making the distinction, creating a distinction between likely and definite serves no purpose.

                                  You don't need stats. Just ask yourself a question like this:

                                  "Is it likely the sun is going to rise tomorrow?"

                                  The answer is "yes".

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 22 10:03 AM

                                    I just read the doc sent out from Randy Shafer.

                                    Apparently in Belgium an obstacle is any non Belgium rider….

                                    Tom

                                  • Steve Litvin
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 22 10:22 AM
                                      Adam actually used me as a obstacle on monday when we (Steve, Craig and Alec from HPCX w/ Adam and JD) got together for a couse designing session .... I felt cheap. Hopefully I wont make the final course design.

                                      Steve
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 22 10:23 AM
                                        is it likely that we've beaten this topic to a bloody
                                        pulp...? definitely...!

                                        please use common sense when designing your course.
                                        here's what we know:

                                        we can use one (1) set of 40cm barriers placed 4m
                                        apart.

                                        if additional obstacles are wanted, we can use
                                        unridable hills, off-camber sections, stairs, etc.

                                        IMO, it IS possible to design a good course with ONLY
                                        one set of planks. so leave your chain saws at home
                                        and focus on designing a course that has good flow and
                                        balance (good flow = intense sections followed by
                                        short recovery sections).

                                        rule 5.1.018 states:

                                        The use of dangerous items along the course is
                                        forbidden. The course must also be kept away from any
                                        item which presents danger to the riders.

                                        IMO, placed logs and downed trees, in a UCI race,
                                        present danger to the riders.

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 22 10:27 AM
                                          so leave your chain saws at home
                                          > and focus on designing a course that has good flow and
                                          > balance (good flow = intense sections followed by
                                          > short recovery sections).

                                          I agree....a chainsaw would def. be conisdered a dangerous obstical....

                                          steve
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 22 11:21 AM
                                            So to recap.. Logs bolted to the ground with 18inch
                                            spikes where the convenientely fell are out.. Okay...
                                            Logs bolted to the ground and slightly buried on a
                                            uphill placed by men are in... Okay..

                                            Myles

                                            http://vote.yahoo.com