Rule 5.1.024 "Plank Sections"

    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
      Rule 5.1.024
      "The course may include a single section of planks. This obstacle
      must consist of two planks placed 4m apart....In races for Junior Men
      and Women, it is recommended that a parallel course avoiding this
      obstacle should be used."

      I'm curious as to the various promoters' philosophies on this rule,
      and the different ways of twisting and interpreting it's use. The
      rule speaks of a "single section of 2 planks on course," but I've
      heard recently that the UCI commmissaire on hand has some latitude on
      allowing for more than 1 section of artificial dismounts if the
      course might be "enhanced" by more than one set (i.e. course might
      suck with only one set). Personally, I find the most interesting and
      challenging sections of various courses to be the dismount areas, and
      would hate to see these marginalized. Those riders that hate getting
      off their bikes obviously like this rule and have no problem quoting
      it to me so that I'm aware of it for our UCI race. What are my
      choices? What about this parallel course thing? Is one of these a
      recommendation and one of them a rule? Are they both recommendations
      and guidelines - and the promoter is left to their best judgement on
      what would produce a quality course?

      Mitch Graham
      Cincinnati
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
        One set of planks, period. I haven't heard of any UCI official allowing a
        second set.

        You need to force additional dismounts with terrain and/or good course
        design. For instance, I did course consultations today for Bridgeton and
        Highland Park. Bridgeton could conceivably come up with 4 dismounts without
        any planks at all. Highland Park could come up with 2. Our new course in
        Northampton will have 3.

        No one runs the parallel course, because we all know perfectly well the the
        women and children can get over the barriers just fine. Hopefully the UCI
        will catch on...

        Adam

        on 9/20/04 11:19 PM, Mitch Graham at mitch_biowheels@... wrote:

        > Rule 5.1.024
        > "The course may include a single section of planks. This obstacle
        > must consist of two planks placed 4m apart....In races for Junior Men
        > and Women, it is recommended that a parallel course avoiding this
        > obstacle should be used."
        >
        > I'm curious as to the various promoters' philosophies on this rule,
        > and the different ways of twisting and interpreting it's use. The
        > rule speaks of a "single section of 2 planks on course," but I've
        > heard recently that the UCI commmissaire on hand has some latitude on
        > allowing for more than 1 section of artificial dismounts if the
        > course might be "enhanced" by more than one set (i.e. course might
        > suck with only one set). Personally, I find the most interesting and
        > challenging sections of various courses to be the dismount areas, and
        > would hate to see these marginalized. Those riders that hate getting
        > off their bikes obviously like this rule and have no problem quoting
        > it to me so that I'm aware of it for our UCI race. What are my
        > choices? What about this parallel course thing? Is one of these a
        > recommendation and one of them a rule? Are they both recommendations
        > and guidelines - and the promoter is left to their best judgement on
        > what would produce a quality course?
        >
        > Mitch Graham
        > Cincinnati
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Burgess Brian
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 21, 2004

          Thanks alot for coming down to do the course review. Wade went over a bunch of the comments. Most sound like something we would do.

          Wade mentioned you were going to send notes, but if you would rather I call just give me a number and time. Maybe I can save you all of that typing.

          Do you Yahoo!?
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 21, 2004
            Mitch

            When they refined and clarified the rules for using Planks as barriers they
            also rewrote 5.1.023.

            5.1.023 Is a very flexible rule and leaves lots of room to put in obstacles
            to force riders off their bike.

            At Granogue I am likely to add a few 4" to 6" logs here and there in a way
            "which is likely to require riders to dismount".

            I agree with Adam that American and Canadian women and Jrs can go over plank
            barriers.

            Tom McDaniel
            Wooden Wheels Racing
            Granogue Cyclo-Cross

            5.1.023
            The course may include no more than six obstacles. Obstacle shall mean any
            part of the course which is likely to require riders to dismount.
            The length of an obstacle may not exceed 80 metres. The total length of
            obstacles
            may not exceed 10% of the course.
            Descents of flights of steps may not be used.
            (text modified on 1.08.00; 1.09.04).

            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 21, 2004
              But only if they have the right licenses...

              I think that was another e-mail list, Tom.

              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 21, 2004
                Tom,

                The only change I saw here is that now you can have 6 obstacles rather than
                4 from previous years.

                How do you interpret that to mean adding logs? Why wouldn't a log be an
                artificial barrier, if it wasn't already part of the landscape?

                I think if you actually built a set of stairs (even log stairs) that were
                "part of the landscape" you'd be be ok. But if you just dropped a few logs
                around the course?

                Rob from Tailwind had asked me the same question so I'm glad we're talking
                about it.

                Adam

                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 21, 2004
                  We have on our course currently 4 fallen trees, that
                  have had extraneous boughs removed to render them in a
                  log like fashion. One had to be removed as it was on
                  a small downhill, and thus deemed non uci compliant.
                  One is currently mobile, and will be removed for the
                  beginners, and replaced for the rest of the fields.
                  The other 2 are remaining for all fields. During set
                  up, I can bunny hop them at will, which, in my
                  humblest of interpretations as a lowly cat 4 official,
                  "obliges but does not require" a rider to dismount. We
                  also have a plank section, of uci mandated barriers.
                  My BIG question, in all seriousness, is

                  Are natural obstacles governed by any height/size
                  restrictions other than the boundaries of good common
                  sense?????

                  myles
                  Myles

                  http://vote.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 21, 2004
                    If it's moveable, how is it not artificial? Because it's a tree?

                    I don't know who your official is, but you'll never get away with it!

                    Guys, the point is that it has to be a permanent part of the landscape to be
                    a natural obstacle. Strewn logs and downed trees ain't it.

                    Adam

                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 21, 2004

                      Adam

                      I just read the new rules with out trying to figure out their intent.

                      We had this messed up text From last years 5.1.023  "the course can comprise on artificial obstacle..... blah blah" is gone.

                      So….. The rule reads:

                      5.1.023

                      The course may include no more than six obstacles.

                      Obstacle shall mean any part of the course which is likely to require riders to dismount.

                      The length of an obstacle may not exceed 80 metres.

                      The total length of obstacles may not exceed 10% of the course.

                      Descents of flights of steps may not be used.

                      (text modified on 1.08.00; 1.09.04).

                      10185-05 cyclo-E 17/08/04 11:00

                      So the current Definition of an obstacle = “any part of the course which is likely to require riders to dismount”

                      Now if you use planks for an obstacles then you consult 5.1.024 Which by my reading applies only to plank barriers.

                      Other parts of the current rules prohibit steel and barb wire and anything unsafe. Other then that you can play with hills, sand, logs, roots, curbs etc etc.

                      Just for fun check the date of your “new rules” mine were updated Aug 17th 2004.

                      Tom McD

                      WWR

                      GCX

                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/iXCylB/TM

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 21, 2004

                        Oh in addition to all of that they used logs at CX worlds in France last year.  JD sent me proof on DVD.

                        They spaced them about 2m apart….8 or ten 4” to 6” logs about 20 Meters of running.  It was inherently rabbit unfriendly.

                        Personally I like one obstacle that is hop friendly on a course… but set up so it doesn’t give a huge advantage.  Like maybe you could pick up one bike length on  a good runner.

                        The only change I saw here is that now you can have 6 obstacles rather than

                        4 from previous years.

                        How do you interpret that to mean adding logs? Why wouldn't a log be an

                        artificial barrier, if it wasn't already part of the landscape?

                        I think if you actually built a set of stairs (even log stairs) that were

                        "part of the landscape" you'd be be ok. But if you just dropped a few logs

                        around the course?

                        Rob from Tailwind had asked me the same question so I'm glad we're talking

                        about it.

                        Adam

                        on 9/21/04 8:00 PM, Tom McDaniel at ctmcdaniel@... wrote:

                        > 5.1.023 Is a very flexible rule and leaves lots of room to put in obstacles

                        > to force riders off their bike.

                        > At Granogue I am likely to add a few 4" to 6" logs here and there in a way

                        > "which is likely to require riders to dismount".

                        > I agree with Adam that American and Canadian women and Jrs can go over plank

                        > barriers.

                        > Tom McDaniel

                        > Wooden Wheels Racing

                        > Granogue Cyclo-Cross

                        > 5.1.023

                        > The course may include no more than six obstacles. Obstacle shall mean any

                        > part of the course which is likely to require riders to dismount.

                        > The length of an obstacle may not exceed 80 metres. The total length of

                        > obstacles

                        > may not exceed 10% of the course.

                        > Descents of flights of steps may not be used.

                        > (text modified on 1.08.00; 1.09.04).

                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/iXCylB/TM

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Tom Stevens
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 21, 2004
                          In reference to the talk about course obstacles; I just now looked at the current UCI Cross regulations on the UCI web site. The language about a pair of planks is still there as well as the up to 6 obstacle language.
                          Tom Stevens

                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 22, 2004
                            I can understand the statement as to how a tree
                            differs from another such obstacle like a hill, sand,
                            etc. But then are we sayin a tree to heavy to move is
                            an obstacle? Are we also saying that trees are not
                            considered a natural material by the UCI? Do they
                            have hidden swiss factories to produce artifical
                            trees?? It would seem to me that the rule is writen
                            in such a way as to encompass trees, stairs, sand,
                            gravel, hills, etc.

                            They have given us a MAXIMUM length said obstacle can
                            be, and a maximum percentage of the course. In no
                            verbage have they given us a minimum distance, which
                            would seem to be an easy way to eliminate fallen
                            trees.. (eg Individual obstacles shall be no MORE than
                            80m in lenght, and greater than 5m in length. Verbage
                            like this would eliminate trees, unless of course they
                            ar greater that 5 metres wide.. which is one hell of a
                            bunny hop..) THey even go into details on which items
                            cannot be used, descents of steps. In no location
                            does it mention fallen trees.

                            Additionally, fallen trees/logs are not mentioned in
                            the really really really bad things your course cannot
                            have section. According to the UCI you can't use
                            stairs... Obstables are deemed "any part of the course
                            that is likely to require the riders to dismount."
                            Well 10 stairs going uphill are DEFINITELY going to
                            require someone to dismount. So those are out too.

                            I think the lack of trees/fallen logs is bullshit.
                            Sure our course may actually be too hard with them in,
                            but we do have the facilities to remove them on race
                            day. With a course description of "A Cyclo-cross
                            course shall include road, country and forest paths
                            and meadowland ..." the possibility of encountering
                            such an obstacle is very very high.. I think if they
                            wished to eliminate such obstacles, they should have
                            mentioned specific verbage. Our trees, are less than
                            80m long, are only likely to require a dismount, and
                            stretch the width of the course...

                            myles

                            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 22, 2004
                              Also, in no part of MY uci rules does it state that an
                              obstacle must be a permanent part of the landscape..
                              However, given the deterioration rate for 18" thick
                              non rotted peice of wood with respectable tree cover,
                              it would likely naturally degrade in 130-160 years or
                              so...

                              Also regarding stairs, or log stairs... I'm saying
                              there out. "likely to require" is the key.. NOT
                              definitely require... Personally, my criteria is the
                              wacky UCI guidelines.. Then I give Feinberg a six pack
                              to see if he can ride it without crashing at race
                              pace.. If he can pull it off, then I'm saying it's
                              only LIKELY to require dismounting..

                              myles

                              http://vote.yahoo.com
                            • Burgess Brian

                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 22, 2004
                                  Hey, what can I say.. I did have to study a lot of
                                  statistics at school... 100% of the time is DEFINITE..
                                  Past UCI rules seemed to be written up to remove
                                  Definite from the vocabulary. (51%-99% is likely,
                                  although much more is one than the other..)

                                  Personally I don't care one way or another what the
                                  courses are made up with. Logs, sure.. Stairs, sure,
                                  windy twisty forest paths of exactly 3m width? sure..
                                  What do I care... It's cross. Part of the whole thing
                                  is making the best possible course out of what you got
                                  in your particular scenario.. I think the UCI rules
                                  are merely trying to bring some uniformity to the
                                  races that bear their name to insure

                                  1-consistency of courses
                                  2-safety
                                  3-quality of race course
                                  4-ease of access for media et all

                                  I dont' know if something in the laws was lost in
                                  translation, or not. But in my interpretation there
                                  is nothign that states the logs are out, provided they
                                  are part of the count of obstacles.. If someone else
                                  has a different interpretation, provided they can
                                  justify and defend their opinions, so be it. If there
                                  is in fact supposed to be ONE other SOLITARY
                                  interpretation, then I would venture it should be
                                  adopted as a RULE and written out clearly as such.

                                  Myles

                                  http://vote.yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 22, 2004
                                    Those "logs" were steps built into the ground, though. They were packed in
                                    with dirt. I have proof because I WAS THERE! So was JD. That's my point.
                                    They were permanent (or at least semi-permanent) parts of the landscape.
                                    That's how they got around the rule. They weren't just moving phone poles
                                    around on race day.

                                    Adam

                                  • sovek@cox.net
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 22, 2004

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 22, 2004
                                        You guys have to remember that a) these rules were written in another
                                        language and translated, and b) they're written by someone who's made some
                                        assumptions that the people reading them have a certain frame of reference
                                        already. That is, they know the situations the rules are trying to address.

                                        When I read these two rules, from the latest version:

                                        5.1.023 The course may include no more than six obstacles. Obstacle shall
                                        mean any part of the course which is likely to require riders to dismount.
                                        The length of an obstacle may not exceed 80 metres. The total length of
                                        obstacles may not exceed 10% of the course. Descents of flights of steps may
                                        not be used.

                                        5.1.024 The course may include a single section of planks. This obstacle
                                        must consist of two planks placed 4 m apart. The planks must be solid for
                                        their entire height and not made of metal. They must have a height of 40 cm
                                        and extend the entire width of the course. In races for Junior Men and
                                        Women, it is recommended that a parallel course avoiding this obstacle
                                        should be used. In the event that the course is abnormally slippery, the
                                        plank section must be removed on the decision of the president of the
                                        commissaires' panel in consultation with the organiser and, should he be
                                        present, the UCI technical delegate or the Cyclo-cross coordinator.

                                        What I read them to mean is that obstacles are just what it says. Anything
                                        that will likely force a dismount that's part of the course. A section of
                                        sand, mud, a steep hill, an off-camber turn, a flight of stairs.

                                        But then, if you're going to ADD something to force a dismount, you can add
                                        add a single section of planks, and here's how the planks have to be. I read
                                        that as if you simply laid down two logs across the trail, they're operating
                                        as a set of planks.

                                        If you put those logs into the side of a hill and packed them up with dirt
                                        so that they were more like a permanent set of stairs than an approximation
                                        of a set of planks, then you'd be OK. Which is what they did at worlds last
                                        year.

                                        Stairs are ok, they just can't go downhill.

                                        I agree, these rules could and should be even more specific about what can
                                        and can't be used. But again, in my opinion, they're written with some
                                        understanding that, for instance, the reader knows what a "plank" is, and
                                        understands the intent of the rule.

                                        The intent of the rule, again, IMO, is that you should be forcing up to 6
                                        dismounts with good course design and landscape rather than placed barriers.
                                        But you can still place one set of barriers, and if you do, here's how they
                                        should look.

                                        If you go looking for loopholes in the rules so you can make the riders jump
                                        through hoops, you should just give out bananas as prizes and call it a
                                        circus.

                                        Adam

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 22, 2004
                                          If there is no 'definite' in the current regs, than 'likely' is anything 51% and up. If they're not making the distinction, creating a distinction between likely and definite serves no purpose.

                                          You don't need stats. Just ask yourself a question like this:

                                          "Is it likely the sun is going to rise tomorrow?"

                                          The answer is "yes".

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 22, 2004

                                            I just read the doc sent out from Randy Shafer.

                                            Apparently in Belgium an obstacle is any non Belgium rider….

                                            Tom

                                          • Steve Litvin
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 22, 2004
                                              Adam actually used me as a obstacle on monday when we (Steve, Craig and Alec from HPCX w/ Adam and JD) got together for a couse designing session .... I felt cheap. Hopefully I wont make the final course design.

                                              Steve
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Sep 22, 2004
                                                is it likely that we've beaten this topic to a bloody
                                                pulp...? definitely...!

                                                please use common sense when designing your course.
                                                here's what we know:

                                                we can use one (1) set of 40cm barriers placed 4m
                                                apart.

                                                if additional obstacles are wanted, we can use
                                                unridable hills, off-camber sections, stairs, etc.

                                                IMO, it IS possible to design a good course with ONLY
                                                one set of planks. so leave your chain saws at home
                                                and focus on designing a course that has good flow and
                                                balance (good flow = intense sections followed by
                                                short recovery sections).

                                                rule 5.1.018 states:

                                                The use of dangerous items along the course is
                                                forbidden. The course must also be kept away from any
                                                item which presents danger to the riders.

                                                IMO, placed logs and downed trees, in a UCI race,
                                                present danger to the riders.

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Sep 22, 2004
                                                  so leave your chain saws at home
                                                  > and focus on designing a course that has good flow and
                                                  > balance (good flow = intense sections followed by
                                                  > short recovery sections).

                                                  I agree....a chainsaw would def. be conisdered a dangerous obstical....

                                                  steve
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Sep 22, 2004
                                                    So to recap.. Logs bolted to the ground with 18inch
                                                    spikes where the convenientely fell are out.. Okay...
                                                    Logs bolted to the ground and slightly buried on a
                                                    uphill placed by men are in... Okay..

                                                    Myles

                                                    http://vote.yahoo.com