'09 Cyclo-cross World Championship Selection Criteria

  • Marc Gullickson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2008
      Hello Everyone,

      I just wanted let you all know that our '09 USAC Cyclo-Cross World
      Championship selection document will be posted on our website very
      soon. I have worked on this document quite a bit over the last few
      months in conjunction with Geoff Proctor. We both feel that the
      selection criteria will place the best CX riders in America on the
      Worlds Team.

      We will again be prioritizing past World Championship and current
      World Cup results in all categories. New for this year, we will be
      picking the top ranked rider in the USAC CX National Calendar
      Rankings for both Elite Men and Women as an automatic for the Worlds
      Team. This ranking is basically a tally of all UCI points awarded in
      the US for this season.

      On the U23 and Junior side, in addition to the above mentioned
      criteria, we will be using two race weekends toward the end of the
      season to pick one automatic spot for both U23 and Junior riders. In
      picking these two race weekends we wanted to use events in November
      and December in an effort to encourage our best young riders not to
      over-race in the first half of the season as we have often times seen
      this group arrive at Worlds tired from the long season and not as
      sharp as we would like to see at this important event. Geoff and I
      also felt it important to spread these two weekends between East and
      West as Nationals this year is in the "Central" US. After many
      discussions and considerations of possible race weekends we ended up
      choosing the Mercer Cup weekend in New Jersey on Nov. 15-16 and the
      Portland Cup weekend in Oregon on Dec. 6-7. I want to assure
      everyone that our consideration for qualification races was based
      purly from a coaches perspective. The choices of these race weenends
      does not reflect favoratism for or against any particular race or
      series. The 4 selection races will be used to pick the best riders
      (using their best 3 out of 4 results) on the 2 weekends and to do
      this we attemted to use the most appropriate and well run events that
      fit into a very specific criteria. Both these race weekends will run
      2 UCI Junior races as the selection races so the 17-18 Juniors will
      be the only riders on the course for their events and will receive
      appropriate UCI prize $ payout.

      Of course the National Championships will also be an automatic
      qualifier for all 4 World Championship categores.

      I look forward to seeing many of you in Vegas on Thursday at 3pm for
      the CX promoters meeting. I will be there with our National Events
      Director Justin Rogers and Geoff Proctor.

      Please let me know if you have any comments or questions.

      Marc Gullickson
      Mountain Bike & Cyclo-Cross Program Director