Re: [USAICO] North Carolina Grand Prix

  • joan hanscom
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 6, 2007
      Hi guys,

      We are looking for the Portland USGP race to remain on it's date - meaning December 6/7 of 2008.

      I'll be back with complete proposed USGP schedule in just a little bit!

      Cheers!

      joan

      On Nov 6, 2007, at 2:18 PM, Adam Myerson wrote:

      Oh, I'm getting a little dizzy already.

      One of the issues here is that Thanksgiving is one week later in 2008. So
      while John (and I'm assuming Tom/Sterling) will stay on the weekend after
      Thanksgiving, that actually changes their date by one weekend. Thanksgiving
      is on the 48th week in 2008, and 47th week in 2007.

      What this means is that if the Portland GP stays on it's week for 2008, it
      would actually be on the 29/30 of November. If it stays on it's date, it
      will actually be one weekend later, December 6/7.

      Tim, if Tom and John do both go to that weekend, you might have your own
      weekend on 22/23 of November.

      So, we really need to know what the Portland GP is going to do. Week 48/Nov
      29-30/after Thanksgiving, or week 49/first weekend of December.

      on 11/6/07 1:49 PM, Adam Myerson at adam@cycle-smart.com wrote:

      > Tim,
      >
      > If I was in your situation, and looking at the schedule as it stands, I think
      > I would rather conflict with races in NE and races in IO that are 13-15+ hours
      > away by car than with one GP weekend that's only 9 hours away.
      >
      > It will definitely mean that the talent will be disbursed that weekend, but I
      > think it will still allow each organizer to have a successful race, serve
      > their regions well, and have a few elite racers to attract media reports.
      >
      > So, I'd steer you toward the weekend after Thanksgiving.
      >
      > Adam
      >

      > on 11/6/07 11:53 AM, robin morton at bitmore@att.net wrote:
      >
      >> Hi Tim,
      >>

      >> I know that the Mercer, NJ event will be on the same weekend.
      >>

      >> Cheers,

      >> Robin Morton
      >>
      >> g4 Productions LLC
      >>
      >> 908 832 6909 office
      >>
      >> 908 832 6839 fax
      >>
      >> 484 643 3534 mobile ** (PLEASE NOTE NEW NUMBER)
      >>
      >> rmorton@g4events.com
      >>
      >> www.g4events.com
      >>

      >> _____

      Joan Hanscom
      USGP of Cyclocross - Event Marketing Director
      SKYPE ME:  JoanHan16
      Office: 484.461.5171
      Mobile: 484.995.0547

      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 6, 2007
        Shite!
        I forgot about the VERGE RI events on 12/6-7.
        It was my understanding/impression from Justin last year that USAC/UCI would not go for three UCI events on the same weekend.
        I am not a big fan of NE & MAC competing either.
        Does RI have date flexibility?

        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 6, 2007
          Jupiter has more hills than we do, and it's better populated. But have good pork here....Jupiter don't got that

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 6, 2007
            I'm not sure about that restriction, but it happens a lot in Europe. Why
            can't it happen on this continent?

            http://www.cyclingnews.com/cross.php?id=cross/cross07-08

            If there are races in Switzerland, Belgium, and Italy, all on the same day,
            why can't there be races in the Northwest, Northeast, and southern MAC on
            the same day? We have the regional ridership to support it. The best riders
            will go to the best races.

            It's not ideal, but I'm not in favor of restricting racing opportunities and
            putting money in riders' pockets by telling an organizer who has the budget
            and desire "no". I think it should be up to the organizer to decide if
            that's the risk they want to take with their race.

            Let me ask you this; if nationals were in January, would organizers fill the
            gap with races in December, rather than conflicting?

            Adam

          • Meehan, John
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 6, 2007
              yes

              ________________________________

              http://www.cyclingnews.com/cross.php?id=cross/cross07-08 <http://www.cyclingnews.com/cross.php?id=cross/cross07-08>

              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 6, 2007
                We could certainly try to do stuff in Dec.. For our application we need top pros.  It's what our sponsors want to see, and what our travel scenario almost mandates.

                (elites are what we do here, keep in mind our B field was smaller than Adam's kids field last sunday)
                (also keep in mind that freaking kids field was huge.  it wsa like a whole gradeshool on wheels. nice work!)

                For us the only bad week is christmas week, when everyone is in Europe racing all the freaking time.
                Of course, if a band of NE promoters got together and put on a UCI race each night for a week.......

                Nationals in january.  Very do able for most of hte country.  If it snows, either plow it, or blow it, or leave it.  We plowed a whole course one year for states.
                It looked so freakin cool.

                Also.  I think the absolute biggest strength of the cross scene thus far has been the common ground between most promoters here.  Everyone has worked fairly well together to make a cohesive calendar that flows well.  The presence of huge races liket he gp's and wc's, does sort of add an X factor into the mix, although with gp dates set fairly well in advance this year, ( i think) that's a lot easier.

                I also think that it's a good idea to get in the pattern of developing races stateside in January.  Who knows, someone may be dumb enough to host a big race late in the month.

                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 6, 2007
                  Isn't there some rule governing the presence of multiple uci 1's on the same day?

                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 6, 2007
                    5.1.004 International cyclo-cross races are registered on the international
                    calendar in accordance with the
                    folowing classification:
                    - world championships (CM)
                    - world cup (WC)
                    - world masters championships (WMC)
                    - continental championships (CC)
                    - class 1 events (C1)
                    - class 2 events (C2)
                    The allocation of classes shall be carried out annually by the UCI
                    management committee.
                    However an event will only given class 1 status if the previous season¹s
                    race had 10 foreign riders
                    starting, representing at least 5 different nationalities.
                    (Article introduced on 1.09.06).
                    Protection of the dates
                    5.1.005 No other international cyclo-cross event may be organised on the
                    same days as the world champi-
                    onships.
                    No class 1 event may be held on the same day as a UCI world cup event.
                    No class 2 event may be held on the same day as a UCI world cup event in the
                    same country.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 6, 2007
                      Are these rules or guidelines or both or neither?

                      http://mail.yahoo.com

                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 6, 2007
                        It depends on who you're asking, when, and why.

                        If you're wondering about the 10 foreign riders to be a C1, no, the UCI has
                        not held us to that standard yet.

                        Adam

                      • joan hanscom
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 6, 2007
                          Hi all,

                          Right now the dates we are proposing for the 2008 USGP are as follows:

                          November 1st and 2nd - Louisville, KY
                          November 15 and 16 - Mercer Co. NJ
                          and
                          December 6th and 7th - Portland, OR

                          We're hopeful that all our events will be C1 next year and as Robin mentioned in her earlier email we are still pending approval of dates with venues in a couple locations.

                          Cheers!

                          joan

                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 6, 2007
                            Thanks, Joan.

                            I have an e-mail in right now to Look Park, asking if I can go on the
                            25-26th of October.

                            This might work out really well for me, as it will get me off of the Boulder
                            weekend. It might mean Chris will want to go one weekend later himself.

                            Adam

                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 6, 2007
                              Ah, never mind for me going earlier. Haunted Train Ride the weekend before
                              Halloween at Look Park. I may be stuck on my date.

                              Adam

                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 6, 2007
                                At this point it would appear that whitmore's is moving to Nov 22rd 23rd.  If there is not a world cup effort in North America this year, we will speak about moving the event, or doing another  event the WC weekend to fill the hole in the north american calendar.

                                href="mailto:mitch_biowheels%40yahoo.com" target=_blank rel=nofollow ymailto="mailto:mitch_biowheels%40yahoo.com">mitch_biowheels@ yahoo.com wrote:

                                >>> international
                                classes shall be carried out annually by the UCI
                                >>> season¹s
                                >>> on the
                                >>> event.
                                >>> event in the