RE: [USAICO] 2008-9 Schedule

    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
      Despite my having to cancel this year, I'm still looking at having a double in Vermont for the 2008 season.  My preferred weekend would be September 27th and 28th, 2008, with secondary being September 20th and 21st, 2008.

      Justin, can you send me inscription forms please; I have yet to receive them from the UCI.

      To: USAICO@yahoogroups.com
      CC: Bcourier@...
      From: adam@...
      Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 09:53:13 -0500
      Subject: [USAICO] 2008-9 Schedule

      Folks,

      It's already that time. We need to start talking about next season's
      schedule.

      You should all have already received inscription forms from the UCI via
      e-mail. If you haven't, please let Justin Rogers or myself know.

      As usual, I'm hoping that for the most part, people stay on the same dates.
      Some priorities or issues I'd like to keep in mind for next year's schedule
      are:

      1. Real confirmation that there is going to be a World Cup, and that we
      should actually plan around it.
      2. No major conflicts with the USGP events
      3. USGP goes to C1 all around next year
      4. Getting a continental championships with Myles in Long Island or Chris
      Grealish in Boulder, both of whom have expressed interest.
      5. No geographical conflicts, especially between the Mid-Atlantic and New
      England. I am considering geographical conflicts as 2 UCI races that are
      driving distance from each other, 6-8 hours. As the calendar gets more full,
      it may be down to just no conflicts within a single region.
      6. New growth back to the first weekend of September in colder climates
      (Northeast), and post-nationals in warmer/milder ones (Southeast, Southwest,
      CA, even the Northwest).

      Personally, I want to work with Chris Grealish to try to resolve our date
      conflict, and I'd also like to make my race 2 days next year.

      Alright, let's hear from folks, and we'll start to assemble the initial
      draft and work out whatever conflicts we need to.

      Adam

    • Jim Brown
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007

        Last year at Nationals Steve Johnson and Justin Rogers presented the idea that in 2008 the WC selection process would prospectively move to a NRC point type of process, since 2007 is USGP’s last year with the selection contract.

        If this be the case, then there are lots of questions, and scheduling will be effected.

        Is there word from USAC on what is going to happen?????

        Justin???

        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
          Will Nats be 12/13-14 weekend or 12/20-21 weekend for '08?

          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
          • Rogers, Justin
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007

              We will have to request a variance from the UCI (as we do every year) but yes that is the date we are planning on.

              Justin

              As of right now I have it listed as the 11th-14th unless Justin tells me otherwise. Justin???

              Bill Marshall

              KLM Marketing Solutions

              7400 Beverly

              Overland Park, KS 66204

              www.klmmarketingsol utions.com

              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
                My expectation is that it will stay on the 3rd weekend of December, on the
                20/21st.

                Adam

                on 11/6/07 12:42 PM, Mike Hebe at mikehebe@... wrote:

                > Will Nats be 12/13-14 weekend or 12/20-21 weekend for '08?
                > Hebe

              • wade hess
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
                     I'm up for keeping Beacon & Highland Park back to back. The only weekend that Beacon cannot be on is the Saturday before Holloween. Bridgeton City has a big Holloween event in the park that day.
                    Wade

                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
                    Ah, I spoke too soon.

                    Why a weekend earlier? In my opinion, it means we have one weekend less to
                    work with when looking at the season as a whole, and we've already got more
                    races than weekends.

                    Adam

                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
                      I just took a second look at the actual week numbers, and I see that while
                      it's the 3rd weekend of December on the 20/21, it's actually a week later,
                      on week 51.

                      I still think that extra week would help us, but I realize that the weekend
                      of the 14th is the 50th week, same as this year.

                    • Rogers, Justin
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007

                        Due to the impact the holidays have on travel. As crazy as it sounds there is a big difference in price and availability on December 17th compared to December 22nd due to the Holiday rush. The closer you get to December 24-25 the harder travel becomes.

                        Justin

                        on 11/6/07 1:34 PM, Rogers, Justin at jrogers@usacycling. org wrote:

                        > We will have to request a variance from the UCI (as we do every year)
                        > but yes that is the date we are planning on.
                        >

                        > Justin
                        >

                        > ____________ _________ _________ __

                        w:st="on">KS 66204

                        href="http://www.klmmarketingsolutions.com">http://www.klmmarke tingsolutions. com>

                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
                          Wade, I don't see why you and Craig can't stay on the 8/9 of November, week
                          45, same as this year. At least as it stands now.

                          Thanks!

                          Adam

                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
                            I have two thoughts on this one.

                            First, isn't the weekend of the 12th Oct an alleged world cup? Again I'm a little rusty with the whole calendar week issue, so I may be wrong.

                            Or is that the week of gloucester which puts the world cup the weekend of the 1st...?
                            Our own events are being planned now.  Currently we intend to do two races in one weekend, one being a continental championship (if that all goes well), and one being a C1 event.    Questions are... When?

                            We enjoy being the weekend before any Large east coast event; it helps draw left coasters to our event that hang our for a week.  Possibly same deal with Ohio, I know people went from here to there this year.

                            Other questions, is it smart to have such a large event so early?  Should we float out to later in the calendar? (and I'm posing those to the list.)

                            Realistically, our weather patterns are 80% snow free till christmas, typically sunny temps 40-50's. Good parking, town access, etc.  Realistically it's better for us to be located later in the schedule; as a seasonal community stuff is generally more available further away from labor day (but we haven't had problems thus far..)

                            There is a half ironman triathlon that sucks up tonnes of infrastructure out here, I have spoken with the promoter and am attempting to convince him to do it the same weekend as Gloucester (whenever that is..).  Other than that, we are currently the only ones that use this section of the park, so we have free reign.

                            That's what i know.  As per my usual fashion, it really isn't much.  Thoughts ???

                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
                              Per the UCI pre-calendar that came in the inscription packet, the first
                              World Cup, wherever it ends up being, is scheduled for October 5, 2008. Your
                              weekend.

                              on 11/6/07 3:23 PM, myles romanow at bikeguy11968@... wrote:

                              > I have two thoughts on this one.
                              >
                              > First, isn't the weekend of the 12th Oct an alleged world cup? Again I'm a
                              > little rusty with the whole calendar week issue, so I may be wrong.
                              >
                              > Or is that the week of gloucester which puts the world cup the weekend of the
                              > 1st...?
                              >
                              > Our own events are being planned now. Currently we intend to do two races in
                              > one weekend, one being a continental championship (if that all goes well), and
                              > one being a C1 event. Questions are... When?
                              >
                              > We enjoy being the weekend before any Large east coast event; it helps draw
                              > left coasters to our event that hang our for a week. Possibly same deal with
                              > Ohio, I know people went from here to there this year.
                              >
                              > Other questions, is it smart to have such a large event so early? Should we
                              > float out to later in the calendar? (and I'm posing those to the list.)
                              >
                              > Realistically, our weather patterns are 80% snow free till christmas,
                              > typically sunny temps 40-50's. Good parking, town access, etc. Realistically
                              > it's better for us to be located later in the schedule; as a seasonal
                              > community stuff is generally more available further away from labor day (but
                              > we haven't had problems thus far..)
                              >
                              > There is a half ironman triathlon that sucks up tonnes of infrastructure out
                              > here, I have spoken with the promoter and am attempting to convince him to do
                              > it the same weekend as Gloucester (whenever that is..). Other than that, we
                              > are currently the only ones that use this section of the park, so we have free
                              > reign.
                              >

                              > That's what i know. As per my usual fashion, it really isn't much. Thoughts
                              > ???

                            • Douglas Dobrozsi
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
                                I always thought the weekend in Jan. when the Europeans are doing their national championships would be a good weekend for a North American Continental Championship.  January 10/11 2009.

                                On 11/6/07, myles romanow <bikeguy11968@...

                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007

                                  Starcrossed Sept 20

                                  Rad Racing GP Sept 21

                                  On 11/6/07, myles romanow <bikeguy11968@ yahoo.com

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
                                    murmurmurmurmur.  Is a world cup happening or what?  Will it be another suspensfull spring for Myles?

                                    -Advantage of doing a CC early... Lots of points SOON.  A top rider could conceivably win, move to Belgium, and start front row for a while.. it's 150 pts to win.. Assuming the wint he following days race, or at least place well, that's bookoo points.  Good advantage to Americas racers.

                                    -Advantage to doing it late...calendar non conflict?
                                    -Disadvantage-turnout.  No one would go past nationals.. or woudl they?