Re: [USAICO] Comp'ing Elites

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 8 10:30 AM
      As someone on both sides of the discussion:

      My pro team pays my entry fees for 'cross. They reimburse me if I enter
      myself, or enter me themselves. If I negotiate a free entry, I don't ask to
      get reimbursed for it from my team, although I suppose I could.

      I do think that it's the guys you _know_ who are paying their own entry fees
      and providing the entertainment between 10th and 30th place who need the
      most assistance.

      When I had the money, I used to simply waive the entry fees for every rider
      that had a UCI point. I don't have that money these days, but it was a
      simple, fair way to do it in lieu of real start money.

      I would say that any rider you really want at your race, who you'd give
      start money to if you could, probably deserves a free entry if you can
      afford it. Whether they in turn get that money back from their team or not
      you can probably not worry about. If they do, good for them. I think it's
      probably different team to team, and who's approaching you for the free
      entry (the rider, or the manager?)

      Adam

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 8 12:06 PM

        National Champs (even if expired)  and Euro’s are pretty automatic comps on request.  My general impression is most of the riders are not getting rich on this.

        I think all “good” riders deserve start money, I just don’t have it to give out.

        I think there should be separate U-23 prize list too…. Again don’t have the money.

        Can  someone send me some money?

        Tom

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 8 2:12 PM
          As a policy I do not comp. It leads to the slippery slope of more and more asking for it. Until the UCI says that UCI Elite riders can not be charged an entry fee, everyone pays. Even Myerson.

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 8 4:53 PM
            You know that actually is the rule, right? We just get winked at for
            charging entry fees.

            I have to double check, but I'm pretty sure that officially we're not
            supposed to charge elites entry fees, but it's another "grey area" for the
            US.

            Adam

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 8 7:16 PM
              I know. That is why I said it that way. Adding your name was but a personal touch.
              Hugs and kisses.

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 8 8:04 PM
                We have a policy of comp'ing  national champion competing in his or her category.    So sadly a masters champ racing elite doesn't cut it..

                Personally, I also realize that for me it's a haul for these guys to get here.. we try to get everyone something.  Some people came from far away, and we just couldn't get host housing, so we compd an entry. etc etc

                I am fairly sure adam is rigth, no entry fee for elite.. But what is an elite?? Just someone with a license, or someone with soem points on the table?  If I understood my guest correctly, they still have professionals without contract in Europe, and elite full blown pro's as well... I'm not sure if theydiffrentiate or not?

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 8 8:08 PM
                  Oh, sorry... one more.  Someone I am paying travel money/start money to, I mean, they get comp'd... That just sort of makes sense.. I mean can you imagine registration "yes, we paid you to show up... where's your 30$"...

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 9 5:06 AM
                    We always comp Myerson in recognition of his contributions to the sport.

                    Hollah