Comp'ing Elites

  • kjc
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
      Anyone have any comments regarding comp'ing entry fees for the UCI Elites?  Every year I have the same riders asking for comp'd entry.  The riders that ask are highly ranked and big-time sponsored guys.  Are sponsors NOT paying entry fees for their best riders?  Or, are the riders simply trying to take advantage of every nickle and simply pocketing the entry fee money their sponsors provide and hoping to get comp'd entry at the races?

      If I had the money (like Myles), I would be more apt to comp entry fees to some mid to back-of-the-packers that are trying to make it to that big-time sponsor in lieu of comp'ing the guys that have already made it.

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
        As someone on both sides of the discussion:

        My pro team pays my entry fees for 'cross. They reimburse me if I enter
        myself, or enter me themselves. If I negotiate a free entry, I don't ask to
        get reimbursed for it from my team, although I suppose I could.

        I do think that it's the guys you _know_ who are paying their own entry fees
        and providing the entertainment between 10th and 30th place who need the
        most assistance.

        When I had the money, I used to simply waive the entry fees for every rider
        that had a UCI point. I don't have that money these days, but it was a
        simple, fair way to do it in lieu of real start money.

        I would say that any rider you really want at your race, who you'd give
        start money to if you could, probably deserves a free entry if you can
        afford it. Whether they in turn get that money back from their team or not
        you can probably not worry about. If they do, good for them. I think it's
        probably different team to team, and who's approaching you for the free
        entry (the rider, or the manager?)

        Adam

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007

          National Champs (even if expired)  and Euro’s are pretty automatic comps on request.  My general impression is most of the riders are not getting rich on this.

          I think all “good” riders deserve start money, I just don’t have it to give out.

          I think there should be separate U-23 prize list too…. Again don’t have the money.

          Can  someone send me some money?

          Tom

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
            As a policy I do not comp. It leads to the slippery slope of more and more asking for it. Until the UCI says that UCI Elite riders can not be charged an entry fee, everyone pays. Even Myerson.

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
              You know that actually is the rule, right? We just get winked at for
              charging entry fees.

              I have to double check, but I'm pretty sure that officially we're not
              supposed to charge elites entry fees, but it's another "grey area" for the
              US.

              Adam

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
                I know. That is why I said it that way. Adding your name was but a personal touch.
                Hugs and kisses.

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
                  We have a policy of comp'ing  national champion competing in his or her category.    So sadly a masters champ racing elite doesn't cut it..

                  Personally, I also realize that for me it's a haul for these guys to get here.. we try to get everyone something.  Some people came from far away, and we just couldn't get host housing, so we compd an entry. etc etc

                  I am fairly sure adam is rigth, no entry fee for elite.. But what is an elite?? Just someone with a license, or someone with soem points on the table?  If I understood my guest correctly, they still have professionals without contract in Europe, and elite full blown pro's as well... I'm not sure if theydiffrentiate or not?

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
                    Oh, sorry... one more.  Someone I am paying travel money/start money to, I mean, they get comp'd... That just sort of makes sense.. I mean can you imagine registration "yes, we paid you to show up... where's your 30$"...

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 9, 2007
                      We always comp Myerson in recognition of his contributions to the sport.

                      Hollah