Solutions for course construction on hard surfaces?

  • Doug D.
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2007
      Anybody have clever and economical solutions for course demarcation on
      hard surfaces. Stakes and tape are great, but I don't know how to do
      it where you can not drive the stakes in like pavement and gravel.

      The solutions I know about (barrels, cones) are too expensive to be
      practical when you need to mark off about 1200 meters.

      Thanks,
      Doug Dobrozsi
    • Meehan, John
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5, 2007
        We had about two 300 meters sections that we had to mark.We used traffic cones that had a hole in the apex of the cone so we could put 1/2" pvc poles (our regular poles) into the top. Then we strung the yelloow caution tape to those like the rest of the course. That allowed us to use the traffic cones sparingly and they were separted by about 10 meters or more. It worked well and looked fine.

        We didn't buy the cones, however. They were loaned to us by a local construction firm for free. If I recall, they gave us about 50 or 60 of them and it was more than enough for what we marked.

        John Meehan
        Race Director
        The Jingle Cross Rock
        www.JingleCrossRock.com