AIOC-Cross meeting at Worlds

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2007
      Organizers,

      Attached is the info for the AIOC-Cross meeting at the World Championships,
      for those planning to attend.

      Looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible there.

      President, Cycle-Smart, Inc.: Solutions for Cycling
      Member, UCI Cyclo-Cross Commission
      Member, AIOC-Cross Management Committee
      President, Verge New England Championship Cyclo-Cross Series

      (617) 288-1460 Office
      (512) 681-7043 Fax
      499 12 63 29 Belgium
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 29, 2007

        So .... should I book my room yet?

        Tom McDaniel

        Granouge Cross

        Cyclo-cross World Cup heading for US

        Race to be organized during the first weekend of October

        By Brecht Decaluwé in Kotrijk

        (Click for larger image)

        Sven Nys
        Photo ©: Brecht Decaluwé

        During the presentation of the next cyclo-cross world championship in Treviso , Cyclingnews talked to Peter Van den Abeele about next year's World Cup. Van den Abeele, UCI cyclo-cross coordinator, said that the UCI certainly plans to have a World Cup event in the US . "We've left space during the weekend of October 6 and 7 but it's still unsure where the race will take place," Van den Abeele said.

        Cyclingnews previously reported the news about the World Cup, but the Belgian confirmed the race will be held in Providence . "It's 70% sure that the organization will be held in Providence , Rhode Island . The European top riders agree with this as the World Cup race will be combined with another big UCI-race during that week. The top 25 of the UCI will fly together to the US on a flight chartered by Sven Nys," Van den Abeele said.

        Many American riders have stated they would love to see the World Cup coming abroad. Sunday, Katie Compton, who finished second place at the world cyclo-cross championships, said to Cyclingnews, "We need to have the World Cup in the US ." Compton is one of three Americans who earned silver medals at the worlds this year. The improved American performances may be the inevitable result of the increasing popularity of cyclo-cross in the US .

        US champion Ryan Trebon (Kona) was delighted to hear the news but warned the organizers. "The course in Providence is way too fast, it would end up in a bunch sprint," Trebon said.

        Both riders participated in the world cyclo-cross championships, held in Hooglede-Gits , Belgium , this weekend. Read Cyclingnews' complete coverage, including race reports, full results, and photos of the elite men's and elite women's races.