UCI '07 calendar

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
      Are we doing a similar thing this year with scheduling in all the UCI
      races to avoid conflict - i.e. email someone (Adam or Shawn) offsite
      who will look at all the events and arrange them with least amount of
      conflict? Any dates for Grand Prix next year yet? Does it make sense
      to just go and ask for the same weekend as this past year? How many
      new promoters are looking to UCI in '07 that folks are aware of? The
      Oct 15th date worked great for the Cincy event this year, I'd like to
      request that weekend again in the inscription.

      Thanks,
      Mitch
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
        Mitch, et al,

        I expect the same process to occur as usual, and that we'll try to share as
        much information with each other as possible to create a schedule with the
        least amount of conflicts. I'll do my best to mediate and make suggestions.

        Regarding the GP, it's obvious that none of us wants to conflict with it,
        but it hurts some races more than others. A region with a good local scene
        can survive it provided the GP event is a plane ride away, but we should
        naturally avoid having two UCI races of any caliber in the same region on
        the same date, as we have in the past.

        My personal preference, and I have not talked to anyone but Paul Boudreau so
        far, would be for the GP stops to stay the same, but for the Boulder weekend
        to move up one weekend so it doesn't conflict with Farmington/Northampton.
        There's an obvious personal interest for me there, so I haven't pushed for
        that, as I think I should be willing to "suck it up" as much as anyone else.
        But many riders have complained to me about the conflict, and speaking with
        Mid-Atlantic players involved, it seems that a last weekend in October date
        that conflicted with Camp Hill or Beacon would be less of hit to those
        races, since they are not drawing national elites like
        Farmington/Northampton typically does, but more regional riders who would
        likely have stayed home regardless.

        That said, I'm in no position to tell the GP what's best for them, I haven't
        talked to them about it, and I know they have lots of considerations to
        balance, just as we all do. I put that out there only as my own uninformed
        opinion, not as any sort of directive.

        What I can tell you based on conversations I have actually had so far is
        that we generally want to keep the East Coast schedule the same, with one
        change. We want to swap the weekends of Maine and Granogue/Wissahickon, so
        that we go back to an "every other weekend" schedule between New England and
        the Mid-Atlantic. We weren't able to do that this year after the Gloucester
        date change was announced, but we're hoping we can do it this year. There
        are some conflicts at those venues we're trying to work out now.

        For you in particular, I think your date works great, and it's just a matter
        of whether you're rather conflict with Maine, or Granogue/Wissahickon. If
        that swap happens and you think Maine is less of a conflict, you might see
        if you can also move one week later to stay with Maine.

        That should get things started!

        Adam

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
          Thanks Adam,

          With the New England series being a further distance from us than the MAC series, it would probably be better that we try to arrange the Ohio Valley weekend to coincide with a NE weekend (if it has to coincide with any East Coast races); so if we need to move our race to the following weekend, then we can do that.  We'll also be putting in for a double this year on our weekend - hopefully this time the UCI says yes.
          Thanks,
          Mitch

          on 11/1/06 3:01 PM, Mitch Graham at mitch_biowheels@ yahoo.com wrote:

          > Are we doing a similar thing this year with scheduling in all the UCI
          > races to avoid conflict - i.e. email someone (Adam or Shawn) offsite
          > who will look at all the events and arrange them with least amount of
          > conflict? Any dates for Grand Prix next year yet? Does it make sense
          > to just go and ask for the same weekend as this past year? How many
          > new promoters are looking to UCI in '07 that folks are aware of? The
          > Oct 15th date worked great for the Cincy event this year, I'd like to
          > request that weekend again in the inscription.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Mitch

        • Jan Tanner
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006

            I am happy with this weekend date (Nov. 4, 2006) but the scheduling depends on the Verge Series.  It is also an incentive to the racers to have 2 UCI races within an hour of each other on the same weekend, near an international airport.  I would like to have a weekend that does not conflict with a GP race, as this does take the elite of the elite away from the race.

            Jan Bolland Tanner

            Chainbiter 8.0