FW: Permitting and License sales changes

    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 3, 2006

      I don't recall this information being sent to the list. I just received it
      myself and wanted to make sure everyone saw it.

      PDF attached, text pasted below.

      --
      August 23rd, 2006
      TO:
      FROM:
      RE:
      Organizers ofVCI Cyc1ocross events for the 2006~2007 season
      Shawn Fal1"ell,VSA Cycling Technical Director
      Permitting and Fees
      Dear Organizers, Some questions regarding permitting and fees for VCI
      cyclocross races have come up recently that I would like to help clarify.
      First, since most of you permit several races a year with us, you are used
      to the fee structure for permitting. For road events this starts with
      determining the category (A through E) of tlle race based on total prize
      list, and then there is either a flat fee or the 7% of the prize list
      depending on that category. However, apart from any prize list
      considerations, all DCI calendar events are category A by definition.
      Therefore, regardless of the prize list, your raCeSwill be permitted as A
      races, and the permit fee is 7% of the total prize list for all of the races
      that are permitted through us. Second, the VCI requires that the riders
      con1ribute 2% of their prizes to the fight against doping. This amount is
      taken from the prize list and sent to the DCI directly by the organizer.
      This leads to the question about what the actual prize list is and how it
      should be reported. To remain consistent with the other disciplines and with
      what most elite level riders are used to, you should report the total prize
      list and breakdowns before the 2% rider con1ribution is taken out. The total
      before the 2% is the actual prize list that is used to determine 1) whether
      the prize list meets the minimum required by the VCI and 2) the total prize
      list for the purpose of establishing the permit fee. If you would like to
      also publish a list of the prizes that have been adjusted to reflect the
      subtraction of the 2%, you are certainly welcome to do that as well, but it
      would be simpler to just add a footnote to the prize list that explains that
      each payout will have 2% subtracted as the riders contribution against
      doping (RCAD). I hope that clarifies the permitting and fees issues for you.
      If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly at
      719-229-0732 or sfarrell@.... Thank you.
      Sincerely,
      Shawn Farrell
      Technical Director

      President, Cycle-Smart, Inc.: Solutions for Cycling
      Member, UCI Cyclo-Cross Commission
      Member, AIOC-Cross Management Committee

      (617) 288-1460 Office
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 26, 2006

        Commissionaire Adam

        Got any ideals on how we can make this work?

        How are any of us going to get 10 foreign riders from 5 different nations? In a couple more years maybe we can have the money in place to bring over some European racers but for now I don’t see it happing.

        We can get 5 Canadians easy enough, but then what?

        If we can’t find a working solution can we/you work on some kind of North American wavier?

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 26, 2006
          To me, this reads kind of like we are done with North American waivers. Add in the "best five C 2 events" and it seems as though the UCI is tightening the belt on USA UCI events.
          Mike Hebe

          Got any ideals on how we can make this work?

          How are any of us going to get 10 foreign riders from 5 different nations? In a couple more years maybe we can have the money in place to bring over some European racers but for now I don’t see it happing.

          We can get 5 Canadians easy enough, but then what?

          If we can’t find a working solution can we/you work on some kind of North American wavier?

          It has removed 3024 spam emails to date.
          Try SPAMfighter for free now!
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 26, 2006
            I've already voiced my displeasure at the following privately, now will do so publically..

            1-Women's elite race... We're saying that Bessette and Grande have equivalent fitness as 15 yr old boys?? Juniors race for 40 minues... Elite women should be out there for at least as long as u23 men... Whatever happend to equal rights and all that jazz.. Then there is the whole prize list thing...

            2-5 differnet countries.. last time I checked there weren't 5 differnet Countries in North America..... Okay I just checked again.. previously I thought that central america waslumped in there with South America.  But hte point is Valid.. With the watchmen vigilante's arming the borders poised to stop the flow of Nicaraguan Cyclocrossers, reality need to set in..

            Of course the rule does say "in danger of/potentially" as opposed to "you will lose and go down in flames".  Perhaps they will automatically grant c1 status.. I know this came up at my race last year, I got 3 countries covered, and I have a c1 agian this year..

            3-Can something be done about the glorious "a event" status that we get lumped into for Cross??  A c2 event has a required payout of est. 2700$ usd.. Compare that to.... oh, I don't know, manhattan beach GP, or Chris Thater... We're not even on the same scale.  Being charged according to our declared prize lists is fair, but being lumped into really large events simply because we have a UCI designation is a little ridiculous.  Unless all that extra cash is going to some worth while cause lost to me, in which case strike #3..

            Umm.. Thats what I got. Come to whitmore's!!

            Myles Romanow

          • Farrell, Shawn
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 26, 2006

              Of course the complicating factor is that you never know the relatedness between the printed word from the UCI and the actual arrangement.

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 26, 2006
                That part of the rule has actually been there for some time, and not
                enforced for North America.

                Unless I'm told otherwise, I would assume that that will continue to be the
                case.

                That said, it's never a bad idea to at least try to attract some non-US
                riders if possible.

                Adam

                on 9/26/06 2:55 PM, Tom McDaniel at ctmcdaniel@... wrote:

                > Commissionaire Adam
                >

                > Got any ideals on how we can make this work?
                >

                > How are any of us going to get 10 foreign riders from 5 different nations?
                > In a couple more years maybe we can have the money in place to bring over
                > some European racers but for now I don't see it happing.
                >

                > We can get 5 Canadians easy enough, but then what?
                >

                > If we can't find a working solution can we/you work on some kind of North
                > American wavier?
                >

                > Tom McDaniel
                >
                > Granogue Cross

              • Farrell, Shawn
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 26, 2006
                  Ten total foreigners should be easy. We have enough Canadian,
                  Australian, and other foreign riders to go around. It will be the 5
                  nations that would be a challenge. I should download a list of every
                  rider with a foreign UCI code that is in our database. Then you will
                  know who is out there to look at. I would think all the East coast ones
                  will get lots of Canadians.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 26, 2006
                    This will be a challenge because there are not many countries in North America that have cyclocross riders.  USA and Canada and that's it.  The rest would have to come from Europe, and that is a challenge given the travel expense and time the riders have to spend getting to and from the venues.  If Europe was in the same boat they for sure would start complaining about this.

                    I think the answer here is from the same process that defines pay scales for different geographical regions in cross races and defines UCI continental "tours" in general.  10 foreign riders from 5 different countries is easy in Europe because there are so many countries in the first place and most of them participate in cyclocross.  For the American continent, we do not have 5 countries that participate in cyclocross, so it's an extra burden to place on these countries to have to fly in riders from other continents just to satisfy this requirement.  Japan and Australia would be in the same boat too, as there's not many countries there and most don't partake in cross.  The answer here is for the UCI to define these requirement based on the same geographical areas that they already define prize money for.

                    To: USAICO@yahoogroups.com

                    on 9/26/06 2:55 PM, Tom McDaniel at ctmcdaniel@earthlin k.net wrote:

                    > Commissionaire Adam
                    >

                    > Got any ideals on how we can make this work?
                    >

                    > How are any of us going to get 10 foreign riders from 5 different
                    nations?
                    > In a couple more years maybe we can have the money in place to bring
                    over
                    > some European racers but for now I don't see it happing.
                    >

                    > We can get 5 Canadians easy enough, but then what?
                    >

                    > If we can't find a working solution can we/you work on some kind of
                    North
                    > American wavier?
                    >

                    > Tom McDaniel
                    >
                    > Granogue Cross

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Farrell, Shawn
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 26, 2006
                      1-Women's elite race... We're saying that Bessette and Grande have equivalent fitness as 15 yr old boys?? Juniors race for 40 minues... Elite women should be out there for at least as long as u23 men... Whatever happend to equal rights and all that jazz.. Then there is the whole prize list thing...

                      Hard to disagree there.

                      2-5 differnet countries.. last time I checked there weren't 5 differnet Countries in North America..... Okay I just checked again.. previously I thought that central america waslumped in there with South America. But hte point is Valid.. With the watchmen vigilante's arming the borders poised to stop the flow of Nicaraguan Cyclocrossers, reality need to set in..

                      Of course the rule does say "in danger of/potentially" as opposed to "you will lose and go down in flames". Perhaps they will automatically grant c1 status.. I know this came up at my race last year, I got 3 countries covered, and I have a c1 agian this year..

                      That is the part you never know. For instance, on the road, every single road race has the comment by t he commissaires that there were only two cars with sunroofs instead of 3. That comment goes in the report year after year, but it doesn't change and the race still goes on at the same level the next year.

                      3-Can something be done about the glorious "a event" status that we get lumped into for Cross?? A c2 event has a required payout of est. 2700$ usd.. Compare that to.... oh, I don't know, manhattan beach GP, or Chris Thater... We're not even on the same scale. Being charged according to our declared prize lists is fair, but being lumped into really large events simply because we have a UCI designation is a little ridiculous. Unless all that extra cash is going to some worth while cause lost to me, in which case strike #3..

                      Perhaps we should discuss this offline. I am unclear on the issue. For official payments, the UCI races have always been A races. As for permitting, I am unclear how this is any different. Using your numbers, if you have a payout of $2700, you would be a C race on a one day USCF. If you are a C race, your permit fee is 7% of your total prize list. If you are a UCI race, you are an A race, and your permit fee is 7% of your total prize list. Seems to me that you pay the same permit fee whether you are a C race or an A race. Feel free to drop me and email and let me know what I missed here.

                      Shawn
                      sfarrell@...

                      Umm.. Thats what I got. Come to whitmore's!!

                      Myles Romanow

                      www.hamptonvelo.com <http://www.hamptonvelo.com/>
                    • Tom Stevens
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 27, 2006
                        Shawn,
                        I think that Myles was referring to the line on the competitive event permit app. that says "Highest payout for any one Category".
                        That would make all the C2  cx events Category D races since the largest payout per category would be in the $1885.00 range. We would therefore have a f permit fee of $50.00 according to the Permit app..
                        Thanks
                        Tom Stevens

[...]

                      • Brian Hludzinski
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 27, 2006
                          Hello,

                          Does anyone have simple instructions on how to send
                          the permit fees to the UCI ?

                          Thank you,
                          Brian
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 27, 2006

                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 27, 2006
                              Put the check in the mail with the form. I think postage was 80 cents for
                              mine.

                              The address is on the form somewhere. It is in some sort of Euro format.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 27, 2006
                                Yup. Tom nailed it.. I have a tendencey to remember HALF of all the important stuff..

                                It's really kind of weird.. I mean, let me attempt to get a scnenario going...

                                First year we SOMEHOW snuck in with series fees.. We did 5 races that year, one UCI, all at the same venue, and someone screwed up at USAC so it got in with like nothing.

                                Next year, same deal happened. I somehow convinced them that 2 uci race constituted a series event and I forgeet how much I actually paid but it wasn't a tonne.

                                This year I used the handy dandy calculation form ont he permit app, since I knew they both couldn't be series events from last year. So i found my payouts, figure it out, and sent off a cheq. Week or so later I got word that all permits were moving to A events... Then they started calling saying I owed more money..

                                IF I only put on 1 c2 race.  (which was the case 3 years ago.)  First I'm looking at the UCI fees... 300$?? (I forget)
                                Then I have to pay for officials.  Which for ME is like 1300$ cause there aren't any near by.  Then I give out 7% to USAC, of my 1900$ which is another 133$.. So now I've spent what could be an entire prizelist for the women's field on permitting.    I mean, yes, UCI races are expensive, and they are the pinnacle of the sport, and all that cool stuff, but freeing up capital for one to increase chick prizes, pay for infrastructure, or, shudder, turn a profit, anything USAC can do would be appreciated.  I mean, am I permitting though UCI, or USAC, or what?

                                And I know it's only like 100$.. but still.

                                Myles

                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 27, 2006
                                  Hey, don't you have a race to be worrying about, buddy?

                                  Seriously, I don't think any of us like paying more money, but is it hard to
                                  fathom that USAC would want to classify a UCI sanctioned event as an A class
                                  event? Seems to make sense to me.

                                  I think if there were things to complain about here, it's what is USAC doing
                                  with the extra money? Will we see an increase in the seriousness with which
                                  USAC treats 'cross? Will there be, for instance, true promotion of the fact
                                  that there is a cyclo-cross NRC that is the equivalent of the road NRC? Will
                                  those points be tabulated weekly? Will press releases be sent out? Will it
                                  get the same treatment in general that the road NRC does?

                                  I do think we've seen a gradual increase in services from USAC since we
                                  started putting on these events. People like Susan Diller, for instance,
                                  provide exceptional service, and all of us have access to Shawn and Justin
                                  in a way that we haven't always. But these things I mentioned above are some
                                  of the things I still think are important, and would like to see improved if
                                  I'm paying a larger permit fee.

                                  Adam

                                  on 9/27/06 12:43 PM, myles romanow at bikeguy11968@... wrote:

                                  > Yup. Tom nailed it.. I have a tendencey to remember HALF of all the important
                                  > stuff..
                                  >
                                  > It's really kind of weird.. I mean, let me attempt to get a scnenario going...
                                  >

                                  > First year we SOMEHOW snuck in with series fees.. We did 5 races that year,
                                  > one UCI, all at the same venue, and someone screwed up at USAC so it got in
                                  > with like nothing.
                                  >
                                  > Next year, same deal happened. I somehow convinced them that 2 uci race
                                  > constituted a series event and I forgeet how much I actually paid but it
                                  > wasn't a tonne.
                                  >
                                  > This year I used the handy dandy calculation form ont he permit app, since I
                                  > knew they both couldn't be series events from last year. So i found my
                                  > payouts, figure it out, and sent off a cheq. Week or so later I got word that
                                  > all permits were moving to A events... Then they started calling saying I owed
                                  > more money..
                                  >

                                  > IF I only put on 1 c2 race. (which was the case 3 years ago.) First I'm
                                  > looking at the UCI fees... 300$?? (I forget)
                                  > Then I have to pay for officials. Which for ME is like 1300$ cause there
                                  > aren't any near by. Then I give out 7% to USAC, of my 1900$ which is another
                                  > 133$.. So now I've spent what could be an entire prizelist for the women's
                                  > field on permitting. I mean, yes, UCI races are expensive, and they are the
                                  > pinnacle of the sport, and all that cool stuff, but freeing up capital for one
                                  > to increase chick prizes, pay for infrastructure, or, shudder, turn a profit,
                                  > anything USAC can do would be appreciated. I mean, am I permitting though
                                  > UCI, or USAC, or what?
                                  >
                                  > And I know it's only like 100$.. but still.
                                  >
                                  > Myles

                                • Brian Hludzinski
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 27, 2006
                                    And where would one find the "form" ? I scoured the
                                    UCI site but couldn't find it.

                                    Thank you,
                                    Brian

                                    --- Tom McDaniel <ctmcdaniel@...> wrote:

                                    > Put the check in the mail with the form. I think
                                    > postage was 80 cents for
                                    > mine.
                                    >
                                    > The address is on the form somewhere. It is in some
                                    > sort of Euro format.
                                    >
                                    > Tom

                                  • kai
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 27, 2006
                                      Tom,

                                      All UCI cyclocross events are permitted as "A" events.  This in compliance with the rule found on page 14(a) in the 2006 USAC General Rule Book.  The rule states that National Championships and International races are Category A races.

                                      USAC could solve this issue by putting a check box on the Permit Application if it's a UCI event and state that it is permitted as an "A" category race regardless of the highest payout.

                                      Kelly Cline

                                      Tom Stevens <spinarts@...> wrote:
[...]

                                      Do you Yahoo!?

                                    • kai
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 27, 2006
                                        Address it exactly this way:

                                        Union Cycliste Internationale
                                        1860 Aigle
                                        Switzerland

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Sep 27, 2006
                                          Brian,

                                          You should have received a bill in the mail from the UCI, sent to whatever
                                          address you listed on your inscription form.

                                          Adam

                                          on 9/27/06 2:05 PM, Brian Hludzinski at bhlud@... wrote:

                                          > And where would one find the "form" ? I scoured the
                                          > UCI site but couldn't find it.
                                          >
                                          > Thank you,
                                          > Brian
                                          >
                                          > --- Tom McDaniel <ctmcdaniel@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          >> Put the check in the mail with the form. I think
                                          >> postage was 80 cents for
                                          >> mine.
                                          >>
                                          >> The address is on the form somewhere. It is in some
                                          >> sort of Euro format.
                                          >>
                                          >> Tom

                                        • Jim Brown
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Sep 27, 2006

                                            You invoice should have an account # on it.

                                            Last year my bank did a wire transfer, that’s my plan this year as well.