Satellite course maps?

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 6, 2006
      I'd very much appreciate any information on going about creating a
      race course map off of a satellite photo of my park on a computer. My
      contemporary computer literacy skills I would rate a C-plus, possibly
      a B-minus.

      Here is what I am working with:
      -A computer with broadband connection
      -No scanner
      -A printer
      -A cheap budget

      If someone could send me in the right direction - I would very much
      appreciate it!!

      Thanks,
      Mitch
    • Russell Kappius
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 2006
        Mitch,
        I'd first try Google Earth. Go to Google. Click the "more >>" button. Under Google Tools click "Earth" (little blue globe next to it).

        Download this sucker and zoom in on your course. It worked pretty well for me. I just did a "screen dump" when I got it to a resolution I liked, pasted it into PowerPoint and did a little labeling.

        If you need more info let me know.

        Rus

        .

        --
        *****************************
        Russell A. Kappius

      • Tim Hopkin
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 7, 2006
          Here is how I have done it.

          1- print the satellite map of your park. (usually black and white
          photos)
          2- draw in the course with a pen (red or blue)
          3- scan the map and create a jpeg.
          4- place the picture in your technical guide, web site etc.

          There are more sophisticated ways of doing it but this is how I might
          try with the tools mentioned. The map I used last year for the NCGP is
          attached.

          Tim Hopkin

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 7, 2006

            Thanks for all the help - I've got myself a course map.  Realizing that second-graders are probably learning this stuff these days, I still feel satisfaction in knowing how to do this finally.  Again, thanks for all the tips!

            Yahoo! Mail
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 8, 2006

              I used Google maps and Paint.net (http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/) to draw my course.  Paint.net is freeware and you can draw in layers.  For example I did my course crossings on a separate layer then my course.