RE: [USAICO] Notes from commission meeting

  • Rogers, Justin
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 6, 2005
      Kelly,

      The fee you are paying to the UCI only covers your inclusion on the
      international calendar, it is not a permitting fee.

      USA Cycling is the responsible for the permitting of events in the
      United States as recognized by the UCI. The 7% permit fee USA Cycling
      charges covers the liability insurance fee for the promoter and club.
      This is the standard permitting fee for all of our events. The $2.00 per
      rider insurance surcharge covers the liability insurance for the rider.

      I hope this helps clear up any confusion.

      Best regards,

      Justin

      information is strictly prohibited.

      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 6, 2005
        The fees paid to USAC also provide a permit to cover one of our most important group of customers - amateur racers who do not figure in UCI categories. In our events these are the bulk of the customers who fund the UCI prizelist and fees through their entry fees; gigamillions of masters, Cat. B/C Men & Women. The UCI currently turns a blind eye towards us when we have more than the allotted number of events on our schedules - and we need them to turn the corner on expenses and staff compensation.

        Think what Nationals would be like if we had to limit events to 5 per day - and we are just a couple of years from mirroring exactly UCI regulations in USAC 'cross events - 2007 is the target, I believe.

        5.1.014     A maximum of 5 events may be run on one course on the same day.

                         (text modified on 1.09.04).

        Tom Simpson
        Pilarcitos Cyclesports
        732 Fairfield Road
        Burlingame, CA  94010
        tom@...
        (650) 302-6310 cell

        __________________________________________ Yahoo! DSL - Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less. dsl.yahoo.com Yahoo! Groups Links ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> <FONT COLOR="#000099">Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page </FONT><A HREF="http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/iXCylB/TM"><B>Click Here!</B></A> --------------------------------------------------------------------~-> Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/USAICO/ <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: USAICO-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 6, 2005
          Yes, but if those were the only events we were covering, then we'd be paying
          7% of _those_ prize lists.

          And 7% of the merchandise prizes for the B race is, well, 0, basically. We
          paid $25 for our permit.

          That's how we did it when we first started putting UCI races on, back in the
          Tara Morris days.

          Adam

        • IZOARD@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 6, 2005
            I didn;t realize the 7% was only for actual cash prizes - we've been paying for retail values for years. Maybe we can do a tax refund?

            Tom Simpson
            Pilarcitos Cyclesports
            732 Fairfield Road
            Burlingame, CA  94010
            tom@...
            (650) 302-6310 cell

> [...]

            ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> <FONT COLOR="#000099">Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page </FONT><A HREF="http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/iXCylB/TM"><B>Click Here!</B></A> --------------------------------------------------------------------~-> Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/USAICO/ <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: USAICO-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • sovek
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 6, 2005
              adam,

              thank you for your time and energy with all of this, it is nice to have
              some insight into the upper end of our spectrum.

              question for you regarding the UCI commissaires' reports; i asked my
              UCI official if i could see the report he was filing it out and he said
              i was welcome to "look over his shoulder" - but then i asked if i could
              make a copy of it while he waited right there at the race...he said no.
              while this did not surprise me it would have been nice to gather more
              immediate feedback from him/them rather than wait for the official UCI
              communique to come months down the road.

              perhaps they can make these reports in a multi-copy format (kind of like
              what we have to do for USAC) so we, as promoters, can have an immediate
              'tear-off' copy to take away from our race, right on race day. while
              this report would still be filed with the UCI it would be nice to be
              included in what is said about the event. kind of like a speeding
              ticket...you know you have to pay might as well see what the infractions
              are.

              chip
              CCC promoter
              ------------------------------------

              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 6, 2005
                The response I got was that they don't actually want you to see the
                commissaire's report, because then they can't report as freely. It's
                important that the actual report is confidential, but then the salient
                points about how you can improve your race are still transmitted to you.

                I know Tom Nee is fond of reviewing his report with the organizer on race
                day, and people have found that helpful. But I asked specifically about
                getting copies of the original, and was told no.

                Adam

              • Farrell, Shawn
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 6, 2005
                  That is correct. In fact, in commissaire school the specifically tell us to never send the report to the organizer otherwise we will be sitting with the dunce cap on for a year praying they will give us the tour of Iraq

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 6, 2005
                    Just to clarify, we didn't pay $25 _this_ year. We paid 7% of the prize list
                    like normal. But back in the day, we didn't pay the USCF permit off the UCI
                    categories. We only paid for the permit off the USCF categories, which made
                    the race a C or D race on the permit scale at the time.

                    Adam

                  • Rogers, Justin
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 6, 2005
                      Thanks for the clarification, Adam.
                      Decisions like having out highest level cross races classified as C or D races could be one of the reasons none of the people who worked for the federation "back in the day" are still employed by USAC.

                      --------------------------

                      Just to clarify, we didn't pay $25 _this_ year. We paid 7% of the prize list
                      like normal. But back in the day, we didn't pay the USCF permit off the UCI
                      categories. We only paid for the permit off the USCF categories, which made
                      the race a C or D race on the permit scale at the time.

                      Adam

                      on 12/6/05 5:26 PM, Adam Hodges Myerson at adam@... wrote:

                      > Yes, but if those were the only events we were covering, then we'd be paying
                      > 7% of _those_ prize lists.
                      >
                      > And 7% of the merchandise prizes for the B race is, well, 0, basically. We
                      > paid $25 for our permit.
                      >
                      > That's how we did it when we first started putting UCI races on, back in the
                      > Tara Morris days.
                      >
                      > Adam
                      >

                      > on 12/6/05 3:44 PM, IZOARD@... at IZOARD@... wrote:
                      >
                      >> The fees paid to USAC also provide a permit to cover one of our most
                      >> important
                      >> group of customers - amateur racers who do not figure in UCI categories. In
                      >> our events these are the bulk of the customers who fund the UCI prizelist and
                      >> fees through their entry fees; gigamillions of masters, Cat. B/C Men & Women.
                      >> The UCI currently turns a blind eye towards us when we have more than the
                      >> allotted number of events on our schedules - and we need them to turn the
                      >> corner on expenses and staff compensation.
                      >>

                      >> Think what Nationals would be like if we had to limit events to 5 per day -
                      >> and we are just a couple of years from mirroring exactly UCI regulations in
                      >> USAC 'cross events - 2007 is the target, I believe.
                      >>
                      >> 5.1.014 A maximum of 5 events may be run on one course on the same day.
                      >>
                      >> (text modified on 1.09.04).
                      >>

                      >> Tom Simpson
                      >> Pilarcitos Cyclesports
                      >> 732 Fairfield Road
                      >> Burlingame, CA 94010
                      >> tom@...
                      >> (650) 302-6310 cell

                    • Joel Brown
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 6, 2005
                        After several years in the world of race promotions, Tom Nee is a breath of
                        fresh air. The fact that he takes the time to sit down with me and
                        constructively discuss his view of the race is invaluable. The notion that
                        this sort of communication will some how restrain the UCI Commissar's
                        frankness and honesty is absurd. Last year's post-race meeting with Tom was
                        a real learning experience, this year's meeting helped us to see the value
                        of the changes we had made to our race.

                        I feel that a post-race review of the UCI report, with the Chief Commissar,
                        will only help to improve the quality of cyclocross promotions here in the
                        US. I certainly don't understand the ins and outs of the UCI system. My
                        contact with the UCI official is as close as I get, I'd like to use that
                        opportunity to improve my event and grow as a promoter. Without question,
                        the UCI should allow for a direct review of the post-race reports. UCI
                        officials who can not report "freely" in this context, should not be UCI
                        officials. I want officials who are confident in their interpretation of the
                        rules and understanding of the realities of cross in this country. Only
                        through effective communication with these officials will we, the American
                        promoters, achieve the level of international standing that we deserve.

                        Joel Brown

                        >>> http://necyclocross.com

                        +

                        +

                        raising&w2=Sports+psychology+degree&w3=Sport+psychology+college&w4=Sport+psy>>>

                        hology+course&w5=Cycling+sock&w6=Cycling+shorts&c=6&s=152&.sig=0kR4mne8F2a4P>>>
                        >>> IWjQiJaA>
                        >>>
                        >>> Sport psychology course

                        aising&w2=Sports+psychology+degree&w3=Sport+psychology+college&w4=Sport+psyc>>>

                        ology+course&w5=Cycling+sock&w6=Cycling+shorts&c=6&s=152&.sig=nPgfqweKI5tjii>>>
                        >>> KKGpd5w>
                        >>> Cycling sock

                        ports+psychology+degree&w3=Sport+psychology+college&w4=Sport+psychology+cour>>>
                        >>> e&w5=Cycling+sock&w6=Cycling+shorts&c=6&s=152&.sig=OKkp0zk_uq0V4WXaHHLTZQ>
                        >>> Cycling shorts

                        2

                        =Sports+psychology+degree&w3=Sport+psychology+college&w4=Sport+psychology+co>>>
                        >>> rse&w5=Cycling+sock&w6=Cycling+shorts&c=6&s=152&.sig=MQXXZGREMpLOFIL9e0cH9w>

                        >>> * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                        >>> Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                      • Farrell, Shawn
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 6, 2005
                          At most of the races I go to as President of the jury, and this is fairly common practice on the road, we have a meeting with the organizer and we go through the points on the report. We often split the items into those "for the record" and those "off the record". At least we do that with organizers that we feel are trying hard to put on a good race. There are some things you just cannot say yes to on the report when they flat were not there. There are other things that are subtleties and if a commissaire wants to give the organizer a friendly evaluation, some of those get put in the off the record column. However, few commissaires would send you a hard copy or an electronic copy of the report because we were specifically told not to do that.

                          Shawn

                          ________________________________

                          >>> http://necyclocross.com

                          +

                          +

                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 7, 2005
                            Each time I've done a UCI race... (All three of themm.....) The chief officials, and the entire officiating staff has sat down with me at my picnic table, had a few glasses of OJ, and gone over the entire report with me.  Why they rated stuff "good, great, satisfactory, etc."  Again, completely invaluable to me.  You're right, Nee started this practice, and when I get a new official, I tell them "this is the way we do the review.." and we do.  In fact, this year, I even raised  a protest when they tried to downgrade my shower facilities to merely "Adequate.."  F' that.. 6 indoor showers per room, lockers, benches, bathrooms, indoor warmup rooms and basketball deserve more than adequate...
                            Myles

                          • sovek@cox.net
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 7, 2005

                              >>> http://necyclocross.com

                              +

                              +

                              raising&w2=Sports+psychology+degree&w3=Sport+psychology+college&w4=Sport+psy>>>

                              hology+course&w5=Cycling+sock&w6=Cycling+shorts&c=6&s=152&.sig=0kR4mne8F2a4P>>>
                              >>> IWjQiJaA>
                              >>>
                              >>> Sport psychology course

                              aising&w2=Sports+psychology+degree&w3=Sport+psychology+college&w4=Sport+psyc>>>

                              ology+course&w5=Cycling+sock&w6=Cycling+shorts&c=6&s=152&.sig=nPgfqweKI5tjii>>>
                              >>> KKGpd5w>
                              >>> Cycling sock

                              ports+psychology+degree&w3=Sport+psychology+college&w4=Sport+psychology+cour>>>
                              >>> e&w5=Cycling+sock&w6=Cycling+shorts&c=6&s=152&.sig=OKkp0zk_uq0V4WXaHHLTZQ>
                              >>> Cycling shorts

                              2

                              =Sports+psychology+degree&w3=Sport+psychology+college&w4=Sport+psychology+co>>>
                              >>> rse&w5=Cycling+sock&w6=Cycling+shorts&c=6&s=152&.sig=MQXXZGREMpLOFIL9e0cH9w>

                              >>>     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                              >>>       Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                            • kjc
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 7, 2005
                                Maybe USAC can revamp the current USCF Chief Referee's
                                Report to reflect the comments of the UCI Commissaire,
                                let's call it "The Nee Report".

                                --- myles romanow <bikeguy11968@...> wrote:

                                > Each time I've done a UCI race... (All three of
                                > themm.....) The chief officials, and the entire
                                > officiating staff has sat down with me at my picnic
                                > table, had a few glasses of OJ, and gone over the
                                > entire report with me. Why they rated stuff "good,
                                > great, satisfactory, etc." Again, completely
                                > invaluable to me. You're right, Nee started this
                                > practice, and when I get a new official, I tell them
                                > "this is the way we do the review.." and we do. In
                                > fact, this year, I even raised a protest when they
                                > tried to downgrade my shower facilities to merely
                                > "Adequate.." F' that.. 6 indoor showers per room,
                                > lockers, benches, bathrooms, indoor warmup rooms and
                                > basketball deserve more than adequate...
                                > Myles

                                Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                                dsl.yahoo.com