Re: [USAICO] Re: Gloucester USGP dates

  • Boudreau Paul
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 30, 2005
      Hi John,

      I still have more dialog going on with the City so other than saying the last weekend of October doesn't work, I don't have much to say on specific dates right now.

      For purposes of this discussion, the weather is irrelevant. The City of Gloucester believes what it believes.

      When I know more, I'll share everything with you all.

      -paul

      ______________

      Paul Boudreau

      Race Director

      Gran Prix of Gloucester

      e paul@...

      w gpgloucester.com

      aim paullybnikon

      On Nov 30, 2005, at 7:33 PM, John @ Rainbow Bike wrote:

      Paul and Adam,
        I really don't want to change my dates, I'm not sure what Pineland Farms
      ( venue) would say since I just met with them 2 weeks ago to solidify next
      season's races. If Gloucester is thinking of swapping dates They better
      speak up within the next 48 hours and talk to me first.
          As an aside, look at the past years history on that weekend and you
      would be amazed how often the weather patterns repeat themselves. I would
      not wish the weather we had in Maine on anyone. If you had that rainfall in
      Gloucester 2 weeks later, the damage would have been much worse than what
      you had from the snowstorm. Luckily the folks at Pineland Farms like the
      event and want us back.
           What happens next year if Gloucester has a lousy turnout, weather,
      complaints from the city, etc. Will someone be expected to change their
      dates to accomodate them again?
      John

      John Grenier - Owner
      Rainbow Bicycle & Fitness
      1225 Center St.
      Auburn, ME 04210
      207-784-7576
      800-244-7576
      Fax-207-777-5533
      www.rainbowbike.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 1, 2005
        Dear Adam:

        Thanks for your mail. As the newly appointed US Representative for
        Cross to the UCI I think you should remain neutral and supportive to
        all here. I do not enjoy hearing you criticize the USGP both
        privately and publicly all of the time, instead of directly to us or
        me in a reasonable and professional manner. We are trying hard to
        provide world class racing in the US. Between Geoff Proctor and
        myself we have over 15 years of experience managing and, in Geoff's
        case racing, at a World Cup and World Championship level. Not that
        we are not above criticism, we are harsher on ourselves than anyone
        else could be.

        The recent results of Ryan Trebon are proof that what we are doing is
        succeeding. He left the US after winning only 2 of the 4 USGPs he
        raced and then was able to finish 9th in a UCI Cat 1 in Belgium this
        past weekend. The class of US racing is getting better and better,
        as you stated in your DVD "Transition," at a USGP last season.

        I respect what each and every promoter is undertaking to organize a
        race and we can go back in time, even you Adam, and thank guys like
        Clark Natwick and Lyle Fulkerson, for paving our way for us. Those
        guys really did the hardest work and put thier butts on the line for
        the sport.

        What the USGP needs is the support and patience of the cross
        community to understand that what we are trying to do is
        complicated. We are always playing with fire and there is no way to
        do that in a communist open forum. If we do that, the whole thing
        will certainly collapse. For instance, it was very hard to make a
        decision to go to California and not to Highland Park. Craig
        McCallan and Steve Litvin were nothing but professional to work with
        and I think we still have a great relationship. They ran a great
        race and I would go back there in a heartbeat with a USGP. That
        said, from a national perspective we thought it would be a good idea
        to try to have races in the Northern California. Now we cannot just
        pick one, we have to find a way to get 2. The thinking behind that
        when the series was founded in a conversation between myself and
        Charles Pelkey at Monopoli, Italy, was that we need to make it
        reasonable for riders to travel. Especially the Juniors and U 23,
        but also those like Anne Knapp, who besides being the best woman in
        US Cross History, works for a living and cannot fly around the
        country each week.

        So the point there is that we need to deal with peoples feelings and
        emotions and this cannot be done in a public forum. Would you like
        to get fired from a job in front of all your peers? Even if you were
        great at what you do. But the company changed directions. Well
        that is how we feel every day. Someone, will always damn us because
        we cannot go everywhere and from the start, we thought 6 races over 3
        weekends is enough.

        So that is just number one on a long list of challenges. We are
        taking into account the thought of each and every promoter and trying
        to meld them together into a series. A huge challenge that Lyle
        Fulkerson can probably attest to. And as a National Series, we are
        striving to step up from the status of a great US race to that which
        attracts more people to our sport to spectate. Cross is the best
        discipline in Cycling for spectators. Maybe track can also be
        interesting, I do not really know. But we are taking into account
        things outside that might affect us, like other pro sports and other
        local activities around each race. I can only say that I think it
        is far more complicated than meets the eye.

        While I also would like to be organized 2 years in advance it is also
        not really reasonable for us with such a short history. Remember,
        that the New England Series and the MAC have a head start. We are
        growing and learning. And People like Tom Simpson are not going to
        commit to a race or a date until they have at least had one year
        under thier belt with a USGP. Also, you know yourself from your
        experience in Worcester that it is hard to commit to a race so
        early. Remember that your Worcester race was on the USGP calender
        until you cancelled for lack of funding. To avoid the trials and
        tribultations of that, we are doing our best to make sure we have
        solid promoters. We do not want to have Super Cup surprises in
        Septmeber. We have done everything we can to bend over backwards
        with the USGP promoters to not push them until we at least understand
        them and their challenges. This includes being patient to see what
        they do with their races. After 2 seasons we now think that we can
        start to offer each and every promoter more and more in the way of
        best practices we have learned from the races around the country as
        well as our European experience.

        Ok, enough I think, as Myles said, that is my 2 cents. I appreciate
        everyones effort to get this done and make it work. We would like to
        do our part and we hope that at least some of you have gotten benefit
        out of the USGP existing. Such as increased interest, or as Myles
        mentioned increased racers at a weekend before or after a USGP in the
        area.

        Sincerely Your

        Bruce

        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 1, 2005
          Hi Bruce

          I for one am glad you have taken on the USGP. Congratulations on another
          successful year.

          That said we do need dates, and places for the USGP next year and we need
          them now. Your series is the 400 pound gorilla that affects every other UCI
          race in the USA. So far doing it on this list has been and is the best way
          to get all the calendars together.

          I would hazard a guess that the people in this forum are the only people on
          the planet who have any ideal how complicated and difficult scheduling the
          USGP is. It won't get any easier next year either because the sport is still
          growing in a nice steady way.

          Anyhow we don't have to be happy with your dates we just need them ASAP.
          Can you get us at least a tentative schedule with alternates by Monday Dec
          5th. That gives us 6 days before meeting at Natz to react.

          Adam in my view is acting as a neutral broker in asking/begging you for
          dates.

          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 1, 2005
            Bruce,

            I have never said anything on this list, or to anyone in private
            conversation, that I have not also said to you personally, and in a
            reasonable and professional manner.

            I have also not held you to a different standard than I hold myself and
            every other organizer on this list, when it could be argued that you should,
            in fact, be held to a higher standard.

            I stated clearly that I believe in the GP, I support it, and I want it to
            succeed. You were the one who stepped up and took on the work that many of
            us had only been talking about, and the work you, Paul, and Geoff have done
            is appreciated by all of us. You will get support from every organizer on
            this list, provided the GP doesn't happen at their expense.

            I think Tom's e-mail summed things up very well, and so I ask again:

            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 1, 2005
              I agree with Tom, and yet offer perhaps an alternate view??

              It seems that many of us want to know WHEN/WHERE the USGP's are, so we can schedule our events.  Or get peice of mind..

              Now, let me just say, yes, We do need to know when and where the USGP's are, preferrably in a timely fashion (read before nats meeting/inscription time.)  It is the 400 lb gorilla blah blah blah.

              Also for the record, I do think that Adam is playing mediator fairly well.  As a series co-ordinator and uci cross higher up type, perhaps some of his frustration does come out into forum. But to be fair, his frustrations are a result of a huge commitment to the sport... A commitment that many of us share, but again to be fair, I think he does shoulder a slightly higher burden than most of us.. ANYWAY back to my original point, which does lurk herein.

              But..

              What effect will the usgp's REALLY have on us?  Let's be honest.  If an "unpleaseant" usgp schedule is handed out, what will really happen?  Will we descend into chaos changinh dates all over the place like a bunch of ninnies trying to accomplish ????     Will we cancel races because the 8 guys that travel to the GP's can't make our venues?  Will we then descend into bickering matches because "my race is bigger than your race" and I should get my pick of the dates??  Will races get cancelled because of it??

              Truly, I don't know.. Personally, I'd like to THINK that nothing would happen.. And from my encounters with most of the race organizer types out there that are all kind, mostly mature (hey it's bike racing) people, I am fairly certain of that..   But we all want to put on the best possible races, and I think that because of that we all have sort of the same motivation.. Get the most best racers to our venues, to attract the most marketing dollars. And have some fun.. Especially the fun.

              GP guys.. I have to sympathize with them a little bit. They are in an unfortunate situation, in that whatever they do, they are bound to piss of somebody.  And when you factor in the cyclical repetitive nature of UCI race organization (they guys that do it do it year after year...) that's not good... Solutions?  Keep the schedule exactly the same all the time?  But that doesn't fly with Nationals moving around every 2 years.. Therefore the GP's should move to restore the balance of East-West.. And therefore someone is getting pissed off...

              Realistically I think the Gp's need to move to a known calendar.. Such as "4 west coast 2 east coast w east coast nationals.. for two years, then the opposite for the next two years...  It's not rocket science.. Also realistically, due to the effort put forth in scheduling the ne/ma race scene, I would expect the DATES of the gp's to be fairly constant, meaning plus or minus 1 week from what they were now.. So that means they could be the same time, week earlier, or week later then they were this year.  This allows for a change of venue, different promoters to get in on the action, blah blah blah.  It also allows for some semblance of plannign for purposes of Verge, etc.. Realistically I don't think its impossible for the GP people to contact organizers mid Nov to ask if they are interested in next years hosting.  Again I think the onus is on the GP guys to contact promoters and ask if they want the status, rather than the promoters killing each other to try and get it..

              I'm off dayquil. I guess that's my 35 cents for the day..

              Myles

            • finasport1
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 1, 2005
                First: To Tom.

                Thank you for your continued support. You have always been
                supportive of cross and everything that anyone has taken on to better
                the sport. While, as you say, we are in some way the 400 lb
                Gorilla, we are not trying to throw that weight around recklessly.
                We are simply trying to come to conclusions in a way that is correct
                and sensitive to others feelings and ambitions. We are working
                furiously to get our schedule done. We are speaking with 8-10
                different promoters about events for next season but are narrowing it
                down now. The challenge that I have spoken of is that we just
                completed the series season and the folks in California have not even
                settled thier books to decide whether they want to undertake another
                USGP. Therefore it is tough for us to make that decision without
                them.

                In any case, we will be done hopefully by the end of the weekend.

                To Adam. I appreciate your kind words. We have had our differences
                but I would gladly put them behind us. I have simply heard from
                various people around the US that you have predicted that we would
                not be around much longer. Unless you know something I do not, then
                you are mistaken. The USGP is stable and solvent and while some
                people would like to see us do more and bigger, we have chosen a
                conservative path to grow this that can be counted on for years to
                come. Sponsorship is always hard to come by but that said, we do not
                make promises we cannot keep and therefore we expect no September
                surprises.

                In any case, lets put this crap to and end and get on with it. We
                are good to go, races are good, I think and hope US cross is
                benefiting and we want to keep it going that way. This season,
                every US GP set a record for attendance at thier race. Even as great
                as Gloucester was and is, they exceeded expectations even in the snow!

                Ok, we will get you everything we have, as soon as we have it.

                Thanks again to all!

              • finasport1
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 1, 2005
                  Dear Myles

                  Congrats on getting free of the Nyquil! It took me 2 years with
                  Betty Ford to kick that habit.

                  Thank you also for your thoughts and insights. You are pretty much
                  spot on. The further challenge that we have is that there are not
                  just 2 regions in this country. There is Wisconson and Kansas City
                  and the Southeast and So Cal etc etc. So there is a lot of pissing
                  off possible. That said, we would love to settle on the sale dates
                  each year. There is no question of that. We are even working on
                  that this year and hope to accomplish that. The venues might move
                  around but we want to stay with those dates. We are trying our best.

                  Thanks
                  Bruce

                  --- In USAICO@yahoogroups.com, myles romanow <bikeguy11968@y...>
                  wrote:

> [...]
                  science.. Also realistically, due to the effort put forth in
                  scheduling the ne/ma race scene, I would expect the DATES of the gp's
                  to be fairly constant, meaning plus or minus 1 week from what they
                  were now.. So that means they could be the same time, week earlier,
                  or week later then they were this year. This allows for a change of
                  venue, different promoters to get in on the action, blah blah blah.
                  It also allows for some semblance of plannign for purposes of Verge,
                  etc.. Realistically I don't think its impossible for the GP people to
                  contact organizers mid Nov to ask if they are interested in next
                  years hosting. Again I think the onus is on the GP guys to contact
                  promoters and ask if they want the status, rather than the promoters
                  killing each other to try and get it..

                  > I'm off dayquil. I guess that's my 35 cents for the day..

                • Tim Hopkin
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 1, 2005

                    As the organizer of the North Carolina Grand Prix – UCI weekend that went up against the USGP on the west coast on November 19-20, I must say I was pleased with the turn out of Elite racers in North Carolina.  We had 49 men on Saturday and 43 on Sunday, there were 12 Elite women on each day.  Was I nervous about having the event go up against a USGP, yes but being the optimist I believed that I was offering an east coast option that might entice riders looking for UCI points and cash.  Yes, the USGP did have all the stars but there were plenty of other top riders that came to NC and put on an excellent show with exciting racing both days.

                    I think as others have said if we as promoters put on a quality event the riders will come and that should be our goal, great cross races.  If, we happen to be blessed to be chosen to be a part of the USGP wonderful.  I think the efforts by this group to not have UCI events on the same coast on the same weekend are probably even more valuable.  I appreciate the opportunity to offer UCI events in NC and not have them conflict with the MAC and New England races.  I look forward to meeting everyone in RI and putting some faces to the names.

                    Tim Hopkin

                    NC Cyclo-Cross Series / Winter Cup

                    North Carolina Grand Prix

                    828 697-4884

                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 1, 2005
                      on 12/1/05 11:09 AM, finasport1 at finasport@... wrote:

                      > To Adam. I appreciate your kind words. We have had our differences
                      > but I would gladly put them behind us. I have simply heard from
                      > various people around the US that you have predicted that we would
                      > not be around much longer. Unless you know something I do not, then
                      > you are mistaken. The USGP is stable and solvent and while some
                      > people would like to see us do more and bigger, we have chosen a
                      > conservative path to grow this that can be counted on for years to
                      > come. Sponsorship is always hard to come by but that said, we do not
                      > make promises we cannot keep and therefore we expect no September
                      > surprises.

                      I didn't get involved with this kind of thing in high school, and I don't
                      intend to get involved in it now.

                      I can imagine that when I heard rumors that the GP was having a hard time
                      maintaining sponsorship or getting new sponsors, I might have conjectured to
                      someone that the GP wouldn't last in it's current format.

                      Since I can't recall where I heard that from, or who I might have been
                      conversing with, I would never have considered it something worth repeating,
                      taking seriously, going to you with, or posting on this board.

                      If something I may have posed as a question or concern based on conjecture
                      in an off-hand conversation I don't even fully recall has now been amplified
                      and come back to you as me predicting the downfall of the GP, I apologize
                      for starting that ripple. That's not my position, nor is it my hope.

                      I think I've established my reputation here as being open, up front, fair,
                      and honest to a fault. My only agenda is good communication, good
                      organization, respect and cooperation, with a professional US cyclo-cross
                      circuit as the end goal.

                      Adam
                    • Rogers, Justin
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 1, 2005
                        All,

                        Usually I just read the streams of e-mail from the cross promoters and
                        stay out of your way. You are the experts at what you do and I think you
                        all should be commended on your openness and willingness to discuss and
                        plan. Not every discipline has a group like yours, it is pretty cool
                        what you have here.

                        That said, the arguments and the "he said, she said game" does nothing
                        to get anyone closer to the goal of having a solid Cross Calendar for
                        next year. You are all under a lot of pressure due to the timing of the
                        season. The UCI inscription period is not easy to swallow when several
                        of you are still in the process of preparing for and running your
                        events. Please keep in mind, we all want the same thing, you may be from
                        the East coast the West Coast the Mid-West or wherever but you are all
                        people who love the spot and want to see it grow so lets keep this civil
                        as we all prepare for the next season.

                        Thank you for letting me add my two cents.

                        Justin Rogers

                        National Events Director

                        USA Cycling, Inc.

                        One Olympic Plaza

                        Colorado Springs, CO 80909

                        Phone: 719-866-3266

                        Fax: 719-866-4628

                        information is strictly prohibited.

                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/VpTY2A/lzNLAA/yQLSAA/iXCylB/TM
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 1, 2005
                          Justin,
                          If you would bring copies of Inscription forms to Nats for the promoters
                          meeting we could probably all fill them in there & get them in your hands at
                          the same time.
                          Just a thought.
                          Mike Hebe

                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 1, 2005
                            The UCI likes them returned electronically (easier to read when they are
                            typed) but if anyone needs hard copies I can bring them along.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 1, 2005
                              Can you send/resend the 06-07 inscription. I can not find an electronic
                              copy.
                              Thanks,
                              Mike Hebe

                              > The UCI likes them returned electronically (easier to read when they are
                              > typed) but if anyone needs hard copies I can bring them along.
                              >

                              > Justin

                            • Rogers, Justin
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 1, 2005
                                All,

                                Here are the electronic Inscription forms for 06-07.

                                Please let me know if there is anything I can help with.

                                Best regards,

                                Justin Rogers

                                National Events Director

                                USA Cycling, Inc.

                                One Olympic Plaza

                                Colorado Springs, CO 80909

                                Phone: 719-866-3266

                                Fax: 719-866-4628

                                This message is intended only for the named recipient. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.