Elite men entry fee/Ohio

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 10, 2005
      I just got a message informing me that allegedly Andy Taus told Mitch Graham
      at his race in Ohio today that he wasn't allowed to charge the Elite Men
      entry fees.

      This is news to me, and if true, I'm sure was not great for Mitch. Anyone
      know the rest of the story? Mitch?

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 10, 2005
        That's not entirely what he told me. I was inquiring
        about the specifics of upgrading next year to C1 from
        our current setup, both in terms of logistics and
        cash. He told me that promoters do not charge Elite
        riders entry fees in C1. That was news to me. We did
        charge entry fees Sunday for the Elites in our C2
        race.
        I should mention that Andy was a great guy to have at
        our race, and worth the cash to fly him here.

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 10, 2005
          Glad to hear it wasn't the catastrophe the rumor mill had already turned it
          in to by the time it got to my ears.

          But along with you, that's still news to me. We've always charged an entry
          fee at Northampton when it's C1, and I've paid entry fees as a rider in to
          other C1's, at least in the US.

          Adam

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 10, 2005
            Since when are we paying cash to fly a UCI official to our events? I thought
            that was under the realm of USAC?
            Mike Hebe

          • cmcallan@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 10, 2005

              In a message dated 10/10/05 7:07:07 PM, mhebe@... writes:

              Since when are we paying cash to fly a UCI official to our events? I thought
              that was under the realm of USAC?

              I think the UCI pays the officials fee and travel when they assign him or her.  If usac or the local association assigns the official then the promoter has to pay fee and travel.  Maybe there was no UCI official available in Ohio so they needed Andy.

              -Craig

            • Jim Brown
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 10, 2005
                There is no such animal as "Not Paying Entry Fee's" for a UCI C-1 Race.
                Sometimes you comp certain riders, If they are top 25 in the World UCI then
                you pay start money.
                Fiscally it would be impossible to do it unless you had big $$$$$
                sponsorship money.
                And we all know how that goes.

                Travel for Cheif Com is the responsibility of the promoter.

                Jim Brown
                Rad Racing GP

                > Since when are we paying cash to fly a UCI official to our events? I
                > thought
                > that was under the realm of USAC?
                > Mike Hebe

              • Sabine Dukes
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 10, 2005
                  Based on my conversations with Phil Miller, the chief for our race, the
                  entry fee issue is a UCI rule that is not (for obvious economic reasons)
                  adhered to or enforced in the U.S.

                  Sabine

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 10, 2005
                    The financial obligations _used_ to say that riders of a certain UCI ranking
                    (top 50 or top 25) were entitled to a minimum amount of start money
                    depending on the category of the race, and provided that riders signed a
                    start contract with the organizer at least 1 month prior to the event. This
                    was back when there were cat. 1, 2, and 3 events. At that time, all the
                    races in the US were C3 events, and no one was required to pay start money.
                    It was explicitly "by mutual arrangement."

                    Once the World Cup Series came into effect, and there became only 2 classes
                    of non-WC races (C1 and C2), it now says clearly on the financial
                    obligations form that "For races of classes 1 and 2, the participation
                    allowance is negotiated by mutual agreement."

                    That means only the World Cup Series is required to pay start money, and
                    there's no rule that I can find that says you can't charge an entry fee.

                    Adam

                    on 10/10/05 7:28 PM, Sabine Dukes at sabinedukes@... wrote:

                    > Based on my conversations with Phil Miller, the chief for our race, the
                    > entry fee issue is a UCI rule that is not (for obvious economic reasons)
                    > adhered to or enforced in the U.S.
                    >
                    > Sabine

                  • Farrell, Shawn
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 10, 2005
                      The UCI did publish a rule last year that said you could not charge riders an entry fee for a UCI race. Now, we all knew it was mainly referring to road events, but there were some ambiguities based on where they placed it. The logic was interesting as well. The UCI doubled the fees they charged the continental teams, therefore it isn't fair to also charge them entry fees. You are not supposed to charge them for housing or anything else. By the time they changed that rule, most races already had their budgets established. I am aware of few if any races in this country that followed that rule. While I was as the Classique des Alpes in France, Jean Francois Pesceux made a little speech to the team managers and told them that while he did not agree with the rule, he no choice but comply and therefore he was refunding all their entry fees.

                      Shawn