Re: [USAICO] Nationals meeting, agenda

  • IZOARD@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 9, 2004
      Adam, remember the baseball movie and "Build it and they will come"? Well, "Print it and they will read" belongs to the same genre. I just read the proposed '05 UCI calendar and need to make the following changes

      We won;t be doing Bianchi 'cross and CCCP as UCI events next season, just plain old races with more barricades than UCI likes (but our customers like 'em). We do plan on a C2 event on 11/20 in Golden Gate Park in conjunction with Velo Bella doing another C2 on 11/19 in Watsonville at the Santa Cruz County Fairgrounds.

      And I'll be thinking of you guys saturday night when I'm removing a monster piece of furniture from the TransAmerica pyramid - on top of the freight elevator car. I'd rather be in Portland...but them day jobs get 1st call.

      Toodles,

      Tom S.

      --
      Tom Simpson
      Pilarcitos Cyclesports
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 9, 2004
        Tom,

        Thanks for the update. I've made the changes. Some questions:

        What are you going to do when I convince the UCI to allow more barriers?

        Who is the contact person for the Velo Bella event, and are they aware of
        the promoters meeting?

        Adam

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 9, 2004
          Tom, et al,

          Thinking about this more, I'm wondering, is there anything else you can tell
          us about this event that might be helpful for other promoters around the
          country who are trying to plan accordingly, particularly because you won't
          be at the meeting?

          It's interesting that you're putting your races on the same weekend as
          Highland Park and Beacon, both of which were USGP events last year. You
          wouldn't be keeping anything from us, would you?

          I know you were very upset this season that your races weren't included in
          the USGP this past year, but fortunately no one scheduled a GP race on top
          of them. It looks like you had a great weekend of racing.

          I'll remind everyone, including Mr. Fina, that this promoter's list works to
          the benefit of all of us, and of US 'cross a whole, because we share all the
          information we have with each other. That's the spirit of the work I
          volunteer to this US cyclo-cross project. The minute we hold back
          information that could hurt another race or comes at another event's
          expense, then the whole thing falls apart. Conflicts are inevitable; let's
          work to make sure we have the best organized National Racing Calendar
          possible.

          So, again, Tom, is there anything else you or Mr. Fina might want to tell us
          about your race weekend?

          Adam

          on 12/9/04 4:50 PM, IZOARD@... at IZOARD@... wrote:

          > Adam, remember the baseball movie and "Build it and they will come"? Well,
          > "Print it and they will read" belongs to the same genre. I just read the
          > proposed '05 UCI calendar and need to make the following changes
          >
          > We won;t be doing Bianchi 'cross and CCCP as UCI events next season, just
          > plain old races with more barricades than UCI likes (but our customers like
          > 'em). We do plan on a C2 event on 11/20 in Golden Gate Park in conjunction
          > with Velo Bella doing another C2 on 11/19 in Watsonville at the Santa Cruz
          > County Fairgrounds.
          >
          > And I'll be thinking of you guys saturday night when I'm removing a monster
          > piece of furniture from the TransAmerica pyramid - on top of the freight
          > elevator car. I'd rather be in Portland...but them day jobs get 1st call.
          >
          > Toodles,
          >
          > Tom S.
        • Murphy, Matt
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 9, 2004
            You know how much I appreciate your willingness to dig into hostile territory and mediate this calendar, but your beef with Bruce didn't need to be aired in this very public forum.

            I know why this pisses you off, but since Tom is being up front with his dates (which is all that matters to everyone else) and only being coy about his intentions, I think your reaction was a little much.
            --------------------------

            Thinking about this more, I'm wondering, is there anything else you can tell
            us about this event that might be helpful for other promoters around the
            country who are trying to plan accordingly, particularly because you won't
            be at the meeting?

            It's interesting that you're putting your races on the same weekend as
            Highland Park and Beacon, both of which were USGP events last year. You
            wouldn't be keeping anything from us, would you?

            I know you were very upset this season that your races weren't included in
            the USGP this past year, but fortunately no one scheduled a GP race on top
            of them. It looks like you had a great weekend of racing.

            I'll remind everyone, including Mr. Fina, that this promoter's list works to
            the benefit of all of us, and of US 'cross a whole, because we share all the
            information we have with each other. That's the spirit of the work I
            volunteer to this US cyclo-cross project. The minute we hold back
            information that could hurt another race or comes at another event's
            expense, then the whole thing falls apart. Conflicts are inevitable; let's
            work to make sure we have the best organized National Racing Calendar
            possible.

            So, again, Tom, is there anything else you or Mr. Fina might want to tell us
            about your race weekend?

            Adam

            on 12/9/04 4:50 PM, IZOARD@... at IZOARD@... wrote:

            > Adam, remember the baseball movie and "Build it and they will come"? Well,
            > "Print it and they will read" belongs to the same genre. I just read the
            > proposed '05 UCI calendar and need to make the following changes
            >
            > We won;t be doing Bianchi 'cross and CCCP as UCI events next season, just
            > plain old races with more barricades than UCI likes (but our customers like
            > 'em). We do plan on a C2 event on 11/20 in Golden Gate Park in conjunction
            > with Velo Bella doing another C2 on 11/19 in Watsonville at the Santa Cruz
            > County Fairgrounds.
            >
            > And I'll be thinking of you guys saturday night when I'm removing a monster
            > piece of furniture from the TransAmerica pyramid - on top of the freight
            > elevator car. I'd rather be in Portland...but them day jobs get 1st call.
            >
            > Toodles,
            >
            > Tom S.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            click here <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129p0j182/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=1707615714:HM/EXP=1102728749/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>
            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2434971/rand=169052982>

          • sovek
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
              looks good adam, if you could add me to the contact list on my race that would be nice!

              chip sovek
              sovek@...
              cap cross classic
              VA
              ----------------------

              Adam Hodges Myerson wrote:
              All,

              -Attached is what I've been able to cobble together for a tentative schedule
              so far.

              I broke it down by National Racing Calendar, East Coast, West Coast,
              Mid-America, and Class 1, so people can be aware of potential conflict on
              all levels.

              I tried to note if an event was firm or tentative. Any new event is
              tentative.

              -Matt Murphy is working on a meeting space for us. Check in the lobby of the
              race hotel for the room number. The meeting will be Saturday at 7-8 pm in
              the race hotel.

              -Agenda items:

              Schedule
              National Racing Calendar/USGP
              Improving events
                  media/press/results
                  technical/infrastructure
              Rules
              Communication
              World Cup

              That's all that's on my mind right now, so if you have an item that should
              be added to the agenda, please let me know.

              Adam F. Hodges Myerson
              Cycle-Smart, Inc.
              President, Solutions for Cycling
              PO Box 1482
              Northampton, MA 01061
              617.776.1833 Office
              413.204.3202 Mobile
              512.681.7043 Fax
              http://necyclocross.com
              http://eastcoastcross.com

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
                on 12/9/04 11:44 PM, Murphy, Matt at mmurphy@... wrote:

                > You know how much I appreciate your willingness to dig into hostile territory
                > and mediate this calendar, but your beef with Bruce didn't need to be aired in
                > this very public forum.
                >
                > I know why this pisses you off, but since Tom is being up front with his dates
                > (which is all that matters to everyone else) and only being coy about his
                > intentions, I think your reaction was a little much.

                And you in turn know how much I appreciate all the help and support you give
                us, and how much respect I have for you. I take your criticism to heart.

                But here's why I'm pissed:

                I'm pissed off that I do work on everyone else's behalf, including Bruce's,
                and continually let me guard down, only to have that work taken advantage of
                again and again.

                Bruce asked if he could be on the list, so I added him, despite all our
                differences over this year. Then he waltzes in and sends an e-mail that acts
                like he's being helpful and that everyone still has a chance to be a GP
                race. Meanwhile, the races appear to already be selected, and he doesn't
                reveal that to the list, while people are trying to figure out their dates
                and avoid conflicts. He's got a copy of the schedule now; if he can provide
                additional input, then we need to hear it.

                For the HP/Bridgton events, it appears that not only are they not GP races,
                which is fine, but that new GP races are moving on top of their date. Why
                didn't that info come to the list when it was asked for? It's not enough to
                know that Tom's races are on that weekend. East Coast/West Coast races are
                not a conflict. But GP races are, and no one wants to conflict with the GP,
                or find out months down the road that they do.

                This is the kind of clean up work for Bruce I don't want to do anymore, and
                took up way too much of my time this past year when the GP wrecking ball
                rolled through. Tom was pissed that he wasn't in the GP last year. Now he's
                going to be in it at other promoters' expense?

                I don't consider this a public forum. I consider this a private forum of
                concerned parties, committed to working together, and I will continue to
                push any behind the scenes planning out into the open so that everyone can
                benefit from it.

                I won't be checking e-mail again until next Wednesday, so I'll see you all
                in Portland.

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
                  Well this definitely seems to be a sticky situation...
                  Since the focus of the GP is to improve the status of
                  racing cross on a national scene, I don't think that
                  GP races should come at the expense of other races, on
                  a national scale. GP races are big enough that they
                  can realistically affect scheduling for one week
                  before and possibly even one week after the event, as
                  frequently riders will stay in town to hit other uci
                  races in the area..

                  I am not sure what the status of scheduling is like on
                  the west coast, as I am on this one. I can pretty
                  much state that the east coast schedule is pretty much
                  grandfathered in at this point; it seems that all the
                  big races are usually right where they were last year,
                  and that the two big series (Mac-NECCS) work hard to
                  avoid killing one another..

                  As for the GP's for 2005.. I don't know if promoters
                  were promised that 04 gp races were automatically 05
                  ones or not. Frankly I don't really care. Well I do,
                  but the point is GP selection has to be a little more
                  precise. As it stands right now, small races out east
                  get slaughtered because they simply can't compete with
                  the large draws of verge and neccs. If the GP is
                  expanded, then we'll have the dilema of large races
                  not having the sponsorship draws they need to survive
                  because their elite fields are all off at the GP.. Not
                  to mention the vastly increased travel budgets that
                  lots of small teams/pro's will have to find to make
                  more GP stops. I also feel that MORE gp races will
                  make them less prestigious. If there's 10 of them, is
                  it still super cool to win one???

                  As for awarding GP status... That's tough. Certainly
                  they have to go to proven UCI promoters.. But which
                  ones? WIth the huuuge number of UCI races seemingly
                  being attempted next year it is almost unavoidable to
                  have conflicts, scheduling issues, and sour grapes as
                  to who killed whose date. Perhaps we need to look at
                  non conflicting nationally scheduled C1 dates??
                  (meaining no other races in the country on the date of
                  a c1 race?) I know many people figure that an east
                  coast race won't conflict with a west coast race, but
                  let's face it, we are all competing for the same 30 or
                  40 bodies nationally to show up and make our events
                  rock.. Non conflicting c1's may also lead to the
                  "gp's must be c1's rule.."

                  What about the extending the GP races past nationals?
                  Certainly those in the warmer climates (read not New
                  England) would have facilities capable of supporting
                  them. worlds isn't until the last week in
                  Januray/Feb.. It would be nice to see more domestic
                  action in the scene after nats. I know that our local
                  guys would love to race cross late in the year,
                  provided they actually know about the races 8-9 mths
                  in advance (which should realistically be no problem)
                  and can plan their seasons accordingly..

                  That's my 2 cents... c'mon , beat me down..

                  myles

                  http://my.yahoo.com
                • brianburgess3593
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004
                    I am supportive of the idea that the USGP venues change. It makes
                    sense to bring the national spotlight down on different areas. I
                    think it will help US cross as a whole.

                    However, if it's true that there's going to be 2005 USGP events that
                    conflict with 2004 USGP venues, that seems like some awful nasty
                    payback for 2 of the 6 promoters who helped the USGP have such a
                    succesful inaugural year. "Thanks for helping make us a success this
                    year, however we're going to crush the elite attendance at your race
                    next year". Boy, that's a bitter pill.

                    I don't want to get too far ahead of myself since this is still in
                    the realm of rumors. I really hope it's not true. If it is true, it
                    reflects really, really poorly on the ethics of USGP organizers. I
                    couldn't think of a worse thing they could do to the 2004 promoters.

                    Again, I hope it's not true. If it isn't true, then scratch my
                    comments above. We loved being part of the USGP in 2004. Great
                    experience, great race. I just recently gave positive feedback to a
                    reporter from bike.com. I hope I don't live to regret that.

                    Brian Burgess
                    Beacon Cyclocross 2004 Promoter

                    --- In USAICO@yahoogroups.com, myles romanow <bikeguy11968@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > Well this definitely seems to be a sticky situation...
                  • Steve Litvin
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004

                      > I am supportive of the idea that the USGP venues change. It makes
                      > sense to bring the national spotlight down on different areas. I
                      > think it will help US cross as a whole.
                      >
                      >.........some stuff removed
                      >
                      > I don't want to get too far ahead of myself since this is still in
                      > the realm of rumors. I really hope it's not true. If it is true, it
                      > reflects really, really poorly on the ethics of USGP organizers. I
                      > couldn't think of a worse thing they could do to the 2004 promoters.
                      >
                      > Again, I hope it's not true. If it isn't true, then scratch my
                      > comments above. We loved being part of the USGP in 2004. Great
                      > experience, great race.........
                      > Brian Burgess
                      > Beacon Cyclocross 2004 Promoter

                      I agree with Brian, It was great working with the GP, we are supportive of
                      the venue change but we are dissapointed in the post series communication
                      with the USGP. We are now left with few options schedule wise and the fact
                      is if they choose to promote a N. CA on the weekend we submitted to the
                      tentative schedule for 2005 there is no way we can support a C1 race. We'll
                      have to see how things go at sat. meeting.

                      Steve
                      and the Highland Park Cyclocross Crew
                    • sovek@cox.net
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 10, 2004