Re: [USAICO] East coast schedule

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 9, 2004
      Fixed.

      Tom Stevens, I'll fix yours, too.

      Adam

      on 12/9/04 1:49 PM, wade hess at strassecyclist@... wrote:

      > strassecyclist@...
    • kuhndog1@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 9, 2004
        Hey all,

        I have been working a bit already on re-introducing the Rockville Bridge Race whether at its old site or a new Harrisburg area event.  I don't know how that plays into your ideas, but I don't have much interest in going post-Thanksgiving.  I tried that a few years ago with the regional cup and got pretty shafted on the whole deal.  I'm quite happy with the weekend we've usually been on and would prefer to stay there, but would listen to other ideas should they prove better for the greater good of cross.

        One thought on the NC weekend is that if you are going to travel south most people will have Friday off making it perhaps a better draw for northerners...of course the whole family interference thing will probably bite some in the butt.

        And while you're all planning out next years schedule, IronCross will be back (the 100K cross thing) and as of now we're planning on that same weekend in Oct - which looks like it would coincide with the new Vermont race.  We have not yet ruled out moving it around for the sake of the MAC, but aren't covinced it is the best thing to do yet.

        later on,
        kuhn

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 10, 2004
          i'll second adams thoughts on the MAC final being the same weekend as NE final...different day's.  it should not be the same weekend, it just didn't work!

          chip
          ------------------------------

        • mhebe@epix.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 10, 2004
            I am not sure the NC weekend comes in & gets precedence over me? I would prefer to stay at my own date & I know that Chip would like that weekend. Let NC take the weekend you poposed for me. I do not really see many MAC people going to NC.
            Hebe

            > From: Adam Hodges Myerson <adam@...>
            > Date: 2004/12/09 Thu PM 01:30:28 EST
            > To: USAICO <USAICO@yahoogroups.com>
            > CC: Alan Atwood <alan_atwood@...>,
            > Chris Milliman <chris@...>,
            > janet trubey <jtrubey2000@...>
            > Subject: [USAICO] East coast schedule
            >

            > East coast organizers,
            >
            > Just looking over our schedule, here are some suggestions to think about:
            >
            > Southampton, NY starts the season on the first weekend of October as
            > scheduled. It's a great kick-off, and middle ground between MAC and NECCS.
            >
            > We try to keep weekend 2 open so as not to conflict with the Ohio double.
            > It's close enough that many NE and MAC rider drove there last year, and it
            > also conflicts with the big NW weekend.
            >
            > The new event, Vermont, moves to weekend 3 October 15/16, on Sunday, after
            > Downeast, kicking off the NECCS. Keeping the northern races early, making it
            > a double weekend, and the first NECCS weekend should strengthen the weekend
            > and draw more out-of-town riders. This also sets up the every-other-weekend
            > pattern of the MAC and NECCS.
            >
            > Granogue and Philly stay put, weekend 4, October, 22-23
            >
            > Gloucester stays on weekend, 5, 10/29-30.
            >
            > North Carolina double now takes the Harrisburg date, for a double on the
            > first weekend of November, weekend 6. The double will have more draw than
            > Harrisburg alone, should draw many of the MAC riders and the more committed
            > NE riders. West coast riders will likely go to Reno. More on Harrisburg
            > below.
            >
            > Weekend 7, Noho and Farmington, stays the same, as does Bridgeton and
            > Highland Park on weekend 8.
            >
            > Weekend 9 and 10 are where things are tricky, but could be hugely
            > successful. My ideal would be to move Harrisburg and Reston to this weekend
            > and make it a double. The events are geographically close, helping both
            > races out. The downside is post-Thanksgiving travel, and the MAC ending a
            > little early.
            >
            > The next weekend would be a Sterling/S. Kingston double, the weekend before
            > Nationals. Ideal because it would draw riders to the area the weekend before
            > nats. Bad because Tom organizes Sterling and Nationals, and it may be too
            > much work for him to do them this close, especially when he was thinking
            > about moving the race back some.
            >
            > These are just suggestions and some initial thoughts for discussion. My
            > primary goal here is keep flow to the schedule, prevent conflicts within
            > driving distances from each other, and maximize turnouts by moving
            > individual races to double weekends in a region to get all the riders to all
            > the races.
            >
            > If the final MAC weekend was the weekend _after_ nationals, it would
            > definitely free some space up for us. But I still like the idea of a double
            > in NE before nationals, and trying to avoid the MAC final and NE final being
            > on the same weekend, even if they're not on the same day.

          • sovek
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 14, 2004
              adam,

              with regard to the nov 5/6 weekend and your comments about moving reston to be a double with lower allen i would like to see that happen.  i would like to move our (reston, VA) date to nov 6 to follow lower allen (PA) on nov 5.

              chip

              ----------------------------

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                MAC/NE organizers,

                We have a real crisis here with the date change. Unfortunately, it's not as
                simple as swapping Beacon and Gloucester, because what that leaves us with
                is 2 NE weekends in a row, followed by 3 MAC weekends in a row before North
                Carolina. That then also means 4 weekends off for the NECCS, without a NE
                UCI event to break that up like we had with Gloucester last year.

                We have some serious things to consider, and a lot of work to do to get a
                schedule that works for the Northeast. The ripple effect is huge.

                From before Gloucester, and from North Carolina on, things don't need to
                change at all.

                The way it could look to maintain "every/other" status up to NC:

                9/24/06 Vermont

                9/30/06 Southampton
                10/1/06 Supercross Cup

                10/7/06 Michelob Ultra Grand Prix of Gloucester #1
                10/8/06 Michelob Ultra Grand Prix of Gloucester #2

                10/14/06 Wooden Wheels
                10/15/06 Wissahickon

                10/21/06 Downeast
                10/22/06 Downeast

                10/28/06 Beacon
                10/29/06 Lehigh Valley Velodrome

                11/4/05 Chainbiter 7.0 by Benidorm Bikes
                11/5/06 Cycle-Smart International

                11/11/06 Lower Allen Park
                11/12/06 Highland Park CX

                Frankly, no one is going to want to go up against a GP in Boulder. A race
                weekend like Farmington/Northampton has always attracted the best US riders,
                C1 or not, and we saw that this year with the amount people who traveled in.
                I know we'll still get a good turnout, but my real concern is the huge dent
                in the currently excellent coverage the race (and all the NECCS races) gets
                from VeloNews. From a turnout perspective, we'll still have 400 riders. But
                from a media perspective and elite quality field, we'll lose many of the
                riders we normally draw, and even the local stars who like to stay home.

                If I knew the GP was going to try to get back to the 28/29 dates in Boulder
                in 2007, I'd also be more willing to deal with the conflict for just one
                year. I think the conflict would impact other races less than it does
                Northampton.

                Literally every race is going to have to move if we want to maintain the
                flow of the northeast schedule. And frankly, I like this possible schedule
                above. I just don't like it a week before the inscriptions are due.

                So, I need some input. How flexible are people? How willing to work this out
                are people? Does anyone else have a different proposal?

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                  I can do Granogue on the dates you have listed. I just confirmed with
                  Irenee Du Pont and we can use the property that day.

                  I'm going to be off line for 24 hours from Tuesday morning to Wednesday
                  morning. Cell # is 302 420 2165.

                  We have a real crisis here with the date change. Unfortunately, it's not as
                  simple as swapping Beacon and Gloucester, because what that leaves us with
                  is 2 NE weekends in a row, followed by 3 MAC weekends in a row before North
                  Carolina. That then also means 4 weekends off for the NECCS, without a NE
                  UCI event to break that up like we had with Gloucester last year.

                  We have some serious things to consider, and a lot of work to do to get a
                  schedule that works for the Northeast. The ripple effect is huge.

                  From before Gloucester, and from North Carolina on, things don't need to

                • John @ Rainbow Bcycle
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                    I'm not opposed to that date but Pineland Farms ( venue) has their fall
                    festival that day, thousands of visitors right out on the field. I would
                    have to make some course changes assuming they would let us do it the same
                    weekend. I have calls in to them but won't hear till tomorrow. I'll keep you
                    posted. As an alternative would you and Chainbiter swap weekends with us?
                    I'm trying to check all possibilities.
                    John

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                      I'm going to put a call in to Look Park tomorrow, and while I can't speak
                      for Jan, yes, we could probably swap with you.

                      This is, of course, assuming that everyone else involved can pull this off,
                      too.

                      I think the key right now is looking at is from the standpoint of MAC
                      weekends and NECCS weekends, and if we have to do some shifting around
                      within that framework, that's OK. Hebe is having that discussion right now
                      with the MAC crew as well.

                      Adam

                    • kjc
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                        Adam,

                        Please, no races on October 14th. I am getting
                        marred, I mean married on the 14th and I know all of
                        my cross racing cohorts will choose to race in lieu of
                        celebrating MY big day!

                        Yeah, I know, "What the heck are you doing getting
                        married during cross season anyway?". It is what it
                        is and I have to live with it.

                        BTW - Regarding Wissahickon Cross, I am fine with
                        following Granogue Cross on October 15th provided I am
                        able to secure the date with Ludwig's Corner prior to
                        the December 15th deadline. To be honest, they might
                        not be able to commit at this time, if so.

                        Kelly Cline
                        Wissahickon Cross

                        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                        dsl.yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                          Hey man... I have to convince my wife that we should be spending our anniversary in gloucester... roll with it..

                          What's the hotel scene like at Gloucester during Columbus day weekend?
                          myles

                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                            Kelly

                            I can get a big white tent and we can get you hitched at the venue. I think
                            Gunner should officiate and Judy can upgrade your license.

                            Please, no races on October 14th. I am getting
                            marred, I mean married on the 14th and I know all of
                            my cross racing cohorts will choose to race in lieu of
                            celebrating MY big day!

                            Yeah, I know, "What the heck are you doing getting
                            married during cross season anyway?". It is what it
                            is and I have to live with it.

                            BTW - Regarding Wissahickon Cross, I am fine with
                            following Granogue Cross on October 15th provided I am
                            able to secure the date with Ludwig's Corner prior to
                            the December 15th deadline. To be honest, they might
                            not be able to commit at this time, if so.

                            Kelly Cline
                            Wissahickon Cross

                            --- Adam Hodges Myerson <adam@...> wrote:

                            > I'm going to put a call in to Look Park tomorrow,
                            > and while I can't speak
                            > for Jan, yes, we could probably swap with you.
                            >
                            > This is, of course, assuming that everyone else
                            > involved can pull this off,
                            > too.
                            >
                            > I think the key right now is looking at is from the
                            > standpoint of MAC
                            > weekends and NECCS weekends, and if we have to do
                            > some shifting around
                            > within that framework, that's OK. Hebe is having
                            > that discussion right now
                            > with the MAC crew as well.
                            >
                            > Adam
                            >

                            > on 12/5/05 4:06 PM, John @ Rainbow Bcycle at
                            > john@... wrote:
                            >
                            > > I'm not opposed to that date but Pineland Farms (
                            > venue) has their fall
                            > > festival that day, thousands of visitors right out
                            > on the field. I would
                            > > have to make some course changes assuming they
                            > would let us do it the same
                            > > weekend. I have calls in to them but won't hear
                            > till tomorrow. I'll keep you
                            > > posted. As an alternative would you and Chainbiter
                            > swap weekends with us?
                            > > I'm trying to check all possibilities.
                            > > John

                            Yahoo! DSL - Something to write home about.
                            Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                            dsl.yahoo.com

                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 5, 2005
                              Bruce

                              Thank You

                              Tom McDaniel
                            • Jan Tanner
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 6, 2005
                                I am awaiting a call from Winding Trails to see when their soccer games and
                                field commitments come to an end. I am uncertain if they would support an
                                October race. I will let you know tomorrow.

                                Thanks,
                                Jan