Re: 2005/6 schedule

  • brianburgess3593
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 6, 2004
      In short - No, Yes, Yes

      No more money. Actually it cost us additional money - some nominal
      fees to USGP (like MAC does) and some 'mandatory' expenses we voted
      on (like using Fries to announce). We did get a lot of merchandise
      prizes to add to what we had (which was a lot to begin with) but all
      the cash payout was 100% Beacon. All the financial risk was Beacon's.

      Yes more riders. Beacon typically had some of the lowest attendance
      in the MAC, regardless of date, weather, competing races etc. Our
      racer #'s were up all over, just like the rest of the MAC, but 55
      elite men, 35 elite women and master's and junior fields with real
      national flair could be attributed to USGP. With 265 total, we were
      3rd highest attendance in the MAC. We were typically damn near or at
      the bottom. HP was #1.

      Yes more media. This had two parts. The obvious part was VN and
      whatnot. The less obvious part is it was easier to sell the story
      idea to local and regional media when we could pitch as part of a
      regional AND national series. We got a couple of before and after
      stories in the local and regional press.

      All of the above came at some cost of increased coordination issues
      (especially resolving potential or actual conflicts between MAC and
      USGP sponsors) and just more bureaucracy - more emails, more people
      to deal with, more phone calls, more egos and personalities etc. As
      everyone knows from promoting races, there's a lot to do and tons of
      details. This added to the to-do's significantly.

      All in all, very worth it from my perspective.

      --- In USAICO@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Albright <monkeyhillcs@e...>
      wrote:
      > What do the promoters get out of the USGP association? Cash?
      Increased riders? More media exposure?

      Beacon &
      > > HP on the same weekend seems to work well for everyone. Having the
      > > Beacon race on a Saturday is really nice for me.
      > > I have not heard from the USGP guy's. Early in the season the game
      > > plan was to keep the 04 USGP races for the 05 season. Nothing was
      > > writen down stating that, it was just said. I know they want the
      USGP
      > > to grow from 6 races to 8-10 over a few season. Adding a weekend
      > > the west coast and a weekend in the central part of the US.
      > > I will not be at Nationals. Being that I work in retail & this
      is
      > > the Holiday shopping season. It is VERY VERY difficult for me to
      take
      > > a day off in Dec.
      > > Later,

      Wade

      > > --- In USAICO@yahoogroups.com, Adam Hodges Myerson
      > > <adam@c...> wrote:
      > > > Thanks, Kelly.
      > > >
      > > > Regarding the GP, I can only tell you how the process went last
      > > year for
      > > > choosing the dates. I don't expect to be involved in any way
      next
      > > year.
      > > >
      > > > Basically, Bruce Fina, Brad Ross, Stu Thorne, Matt Murphy and
      > > myself sat
      > > > down at worlds, looked at the calendar, and tried to pick 3
      double
      > > weekends
      > > > that represented the best spacing on the calendar, and provided
      2
      > > plane
      > > > trips in either direction, including nationals. (2 west coast, 2
      > > east
      > > > coast). It wasn't necessarily an attempt to pick the absolute
      best
      > > races, or
      > > > all the cat. 1 races. (Northampton wasn't included, for
      instance, or
      > > > Granogue, and there were no races in CA.) Logistics were as
      > > important as
      > > > anything else.
      > > >
      > > > This year, my understanding is that they'd like to make sure
      > > there's also a
      > > > double California weekend, and the races that were in the GP
      this
      > > year
      > > > aren't automatically GP races next year.
      > > >
      > > > Really, the question is best suited for Bruce Fina, who is not
      on
      > > this list.
      > > > I'm simply making educated guesses.
      > > >
      > > > Adam

      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > > click here

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129lmgat1/M=295196.4901138.6071305.300117
      6/D=groups/S=1707615714:HM/EXP=1102166595/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/
      *http://companion.yahoo.com>

      subject=Unsubscribe>