Re: [USAICO] Re: 2005/6 schedule

  • sovek
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 3, 2004
      how does one get involved with the USGP?  its been suggested to try and pull it down to the DC area, and i'm just curious?

      chip
      EMI-PVC

      -------------------------------------

      strassecyclist wrote:

          As for the Beacon Cross date, I would keep it on the same date
      for now. I emailed the HP guys to see what they had in mind. Beacon &
      HP on the same weekend seems to work well for everyone. Having the
      Beacon race on a Saturday is really nice for me.
      I have not heard from the USGP guy's. Early in the season the game
      plan was to keep the 04 USGP races for the 05 season. Nothing was
      writen down stating that, it was just said. I know they want the USGP
      to grow from 6 races to 8-10 over a few season. Adding a weekend to
      the west coast and a weekend in the central part of the US.
        I will not be at Nationals. Being that I work in retail & this is
      the Holiday shopping season. It is VERY VERY difficult for me to take
      a day off in Dec.
        Later,
      Wade

               --- In USAICO@yahoogroups.com, Adam Hodges Myerson

    • Andrew Albright
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 3, 2004
        What do the promoters get out of the USGP association? Cash? Increased riders? More media exposure?

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 3, 2004
          Good question.
          More Elite riders is the obvious benefit. Media is a function of how hard &
          smart the promoter works themselves. Maybe, a little more
          National/VeloNewsish type of press. This however does little good
          obtaining/keeping non-industry sponsors, vs local print, radio & TV
          advertsising and publicity.
          If USGP hooked up with OLN, then it is game on.
          USGP selection could be interesting in '05.

          > What do the promoters get out of the USGP association? Cash? Increased
          > riders? More media exposure?

        • wade hess
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 3, 2004
            For the Beacon race, we had more racers than ever
            before. Made more money even with a much greater
            payout. I also work at Beacon Cycling stores so the
            VeloNews coverage has helped me with sales at Beacon.
            Also had Bridgeton News & The Press of Atlantic City
            run 2 stories(Sat & Sun edition) about the event. That
            helped out with sales more than VeloNews did.
            So as team Pres and working sales at Beacon, it was a
            win-win. The team made enough money from race entries
            to be a UCI in 2005. And I had customers come to
            Beacon due to the press coverage.
            Wade

            === message truncated ===

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • brianburgess3593
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 6, 2004
              In short - No, Yes, Yes

              No more money. Actually it cost us additional money - some nominal
              fees to USGP (like MAC does) and some 'mandatory' expenses we voted
              on (like using Fries to announce). We did get a lot of merchandise
              prizes to add to what we had (which was a lot to begin with) but all
              the cash payout was 100% Beacon. All the financial risk was Beacon's.

              Yes more riders. Beacon typically had some of the lowest attendance
              in the MAC, regardless of date, weather, competing races etc. Our
              racer #'s were up all over, just like the rest of the MAC, but 55
              elite men, 35 elite women and master's and junior fields with real
              national flair could be attributed to USGP. With 265 total, we were
              3rd highest attendance in the MAC. We were typically damn near or at
              the bottom. HP was #1.

              Yes more media. This had two parts. The obvious part was VN and
              whatnot. The less obvious part is it was easier to sell the story
              idea to local and regional media when we could pitch as part of a
              regional AND national series. We got a couple of before and after
              stories in the local and regional press.

              All of the above came at some cost of increased coordination issues
              (especially resolving potential or actual conflicts between MAC and
              USGP sponsors) and just more bureaucracy - more emails, more people
              to deal with, more phone calls, more egos and personalities etc. As
              everyone knows from promoting races, there's a lot to do and tons of
              details. This added to the to-do's significantly.

              All in all, very worth it from my perspective.

              --- In USAICO@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Albright <monkeyhillcs@e...>

              subject=Unsubscribe>