Re: Pro CX Bid Application Fee

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2013
      I'm not entirely sure if I paid this fee last year, as I was deemed "not sufficient" to be a UCI race, I don't believe I had to.

      While I fully understand that USAC is a for profit business, closely modelled after the UCI, I really have to ask why?
      We already pay thousands of dollars in Calendar fees to the UCI, then pay hundreds of dollars more to USAC, despite them not sanctioning our elite events.   Now we have to pay $350 to have USAC "process" our calendar and paper work.

      I already pointed out to Rachel on the phone, that most of the calendar date setting is done via promoters, and USAC according to it's rules doesn't provide date protection.  While it is possible that USAC is providing mediation in this discussions with promoters, to be fair, at this point, I haven't seen that occurring.  When I had conflicts, I called other promoters.  Or other promoters called me.  We worked stuff out, and it was good to go.

      So that is really what I'm asking for here.  Why are we being charged the fee?  Explain this expense to me please.

      I ask this because I have to justify most of my expenses to a board, or my peers, as our profits go to charitable causes throughout long island.  We're actually in the middle of figuring out what child based causes we will donate to this year, to help kids affected by the Hurricane here on Long Island.  So... yes.  I watch my dollars very carefully with regards to fixed expenses, and what value they bring our events here.  As I  mentioned to Rachel, typically when a woman and her kids leave the woman's shelter we support, we give them $400 worth of food vouchers so they can have help starting their lives again free of abuse in a new location.

      We just handed you guys $350.   What did I get for that?  Thats what I'm asking for here.  I've asked my officials repeatedly to justify what we are getting when we pay the USAC permit fee, and why we are effectively charged from the UCI and USAC.  They never have an answer.

      With regards to the email below.  It appears that you are in fact forcing me, and every other promoter to attend a seminar many thousands of miles away from my home, at our own expense,  or risk having the UCI sanctioning currently afforded our events removed, and not providing any additional options for me, be it taking an alternate course, online means, etc.

      Please clarify that?

      And to be fair.  I have never claimed to be an "expert".  I'm just a regular guy who has been quietly putting on Cyclocross races in his backyard for a decade.  We're not Gloucester, we're not the USGP.  We fill our niche, and provide a service to our customers and regional cycling community.  I'm not Brook w. CXV, or John with Jinglecross but I do have letters from most of my officials, and outlining the efforts we put into our events, and know that we make a difference here in our community, and then give back to the community by donating all the profits from the event back into it.  Do I think that I could learn something in a room full of my peers over 8 or 9 hours?  Sure.   But, I can tell you right now what my events really need.
      -More sponsorship dollars.
      -A national federation that has us backed up and works with us to help elevate the status of CX in this country.

      Like all the help you guys gave us this fall.  You kicked ass for us this year, when the hurricane hit and we had to swap dates around you and USAC were there.  For the first time ever, in my opinion.  So sincerely thanks for all the help.  It's really appreciated.

      But, back to business.  Please, explain to me why we are now being charged an extra $350 for applying to the international calendar, and why 75% of us have to fly way out of the way for a day?  According to the email sent out today the dates no good, so why not fly YOU out here?   One east coast trip, one west coast trip.  Make everyone happy and save us all a lot of dough.

      Thanks again.

      Myles

      On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Rice, Micah <mrice@...> wrote:

      Myles,

      Thanks for working with Rachel to get the proper paperwork and checks to Rachel.  I might remind you that this is not a new fee—you did pay it last year as well.

      If you don’t feel it is worth it, we are happy to remove you from the calendar and remove the burden on you of having to come to Colorado Springs for the race directors summit.  However, I am quite willing to bet that even an expert like yourself will get a lot out of attending.

      Cheers,

      Micah Rice

      Vice President of National Events

      Colorado Springs, CO  80919