Excellent advice

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 28 9:08 AM
      Thought you might all enjoy this exceptional advice on how we can improve our races, from Mr. Jonny Bold:

      http://jonnybold.blogspot.com/2011/07/new-england-cross-races.html

      Can't believe we didn't all think of it first.

      --
      Adam Myerson
      413-204-3203
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 28 9:21 AM
        As much as I like Jonny; he does not have the perspective of a promoter.  For a majority of the promoters out there, no cat 4 races means a big chunk of the budget out the window, and thus no race for anyone, unless someone has a rainy day fund.

        If this is the direction that is desired for cross in the U.S., then the UCI and USAC might get their wish and the calendar will be reduced at least in half.

        Alan Atwood

        To: USAICO@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 28 9:31 AM
          I thought it would go without saying that I was being sarcastic, and his "advice" can't be taken seriously for a moment.

          I'd cut his damn pro masters class and make him race elites way before I'd cut the cat. 4's!

          --
          Adam Myerson
          413-204-3203

          To: USAICO@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 28 9:38 AM

            There may be a legitimate thought in there,  longer warm up periods.

            On Jul 28, 2011 12:32 PM, "Adam Myerson" <adam@...> wrote:
            > I thought it would go without saying that I was being sarcastic, and his "advice" can't be taken seriously for a moment.
            >
            > I'd cut his damn pro masters class and make him race elites way before I'd cut the cat. 4's!
            >
            > --
            > Adam Myerson
            > 413-204-3203
            > adam@...
            >
            > On Jul 28, 2011, at 12:21 PM, Alan Atwood <Alan_Atwood@...> wrote:
            >

            >> As much as I like Jonny; he does not have the perspective of a promoter. For a majority of the promoters out there, no cat 4 races means a big chunk of the budget out the window, and thus no race for anyone, unless someone has a rainy day fund.
            >>
            >> If this is the direction that is desired for cross in the U.S., then the UCI and USAC might get their wish and the calendar will be reduced at least in half.
            >>
            >> Alan Atwood
            >>
            >> To: USAICO@yahoogroups.com
            >> From: adam@...
            >> Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 12:08:23 -0400
            >> Subject: [USAICO] Excellent advice
            >>
            >> Thought you might all enjoy this exceptional advice on how we can improve our races, from Mr. Jonny Bold:
            >>
            >> http://jonnybold.blogspot.com/2011/07/new-england-cross-races.html
            >>
            >> Can't believe we didn't all think of it first.
            >>
            >> --
            >> Adam Myerson
            >> 413-204-3203
            >> adam@...

          • ChicagoCrossCup
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 28 9:41 AM
              Agreed with Alan.

              We have a much smaller Pro population here in the Chicago (actually, hardly any except Barry and Mike Sherererer) so our situation is obviously much different than the coasts... we actually have two Cat 4 races (100 max each) here in Chicago because of demand. We cater to the Cat 4's since we know they are our bread and butter and our series would not exist without them. There is no way we would get rid of those 2 races to make room for the ~30 Cat 1/2/3 men racers... much less the ~10 Cat 1/2/3 Women. Johnny seems to be advocating more of a European model. Our fastest racers have never complained directly to me about being able to get in warm-up laps.

              Also, if an event is two days of racing (Gloucester, Providence, CX3, USGPs, etc) when would the Cat 4's be able to race.

              Each series and situation is different and we each have our ways of dealing with it. I guess its a good problem to have with so many people wanting to race CX. Our series has grown nearly 30% over each of the last 4 years (less last year) and the growing pains have been painful... very painful at times. But as long as we have listened to all sides of the equation and made balanced and fair decisions the overwhelming majority of riders have been happy and appreciative. And the ones who are not have gone away... making more room for those that are.

              Its just bike racing... right?
              Thanks and have a great weekend... its almost THE season!
              jason knauff

              To: USAICO@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 28 9:42 AM
                I can't believe I'm even responding to this.....

                Ain't happening in Gloucester. If I tell Cat 4s they aren't welcome so JB can get more warm-up time.....I don't even want to finish this sentence.
                The whole idea is just self serving & ludicrous.

                -p