Is it possible to specifically list what things need to be done to "step up" U.S. UCI Events?

  • Douglas Dobrozsi
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2011
      Promoters;

      In the recent string of great communications about what is happening to UCI races in the USA it has been said that the UCI objectives now for the U.S. is to improve the quality of US events.  Simon said this also at the meeting in Bend, and I think I read Geoff saying this as well.

      I have never been to a race in Europe.  Everything I know about them comes from watching videos, and talking to those who have raced there.  In the videos I can see things that are clearly different vs. the US races I've seen;  But I can also see a lot that is awfully similar, and some things it looks like we do better.  And since I promote a C2, I'm not sure watching videos of World Cups really tells me what's important for a C2.  Sometimes I find myself saying "heck, my C2 is better than that World Cup" in some respect.

      If as  UCI promoters we all have a role in achieving this goal of upping the quality of US races, it would be great to know what this means.  What are the really important elements of the total package that is a UCI race that are important to focus on.

      I don't think this is found in any great detail in the rules, and my experience with 4 different comissaires is that different rules get a different emphasis.

      So - what's truly important for us to "up our game"?  This would be great to define.

      Doug Dobrozsi
      Cincinnati UCI3
      Java Johnny's - Lionhearts
    • Terry Buchanan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2011
        Here is an email from Dot Abbott a few years ago with some nice props to Paul B on how a course should look. Dot has travelled to many races and is a good official. I thinks Paul has even made improvements since this was done. I know his finish truss looked very nice this year.

        "See my recent posting:

        http://picasaweb.google.com/evergreenstour/CyclocrossGloucesterGrandPrix#

        Shows detail of cyclocross installations from the Gloucester GP. Perhaps you can find some useful ideas for your own events.

        Cheers,

        Dot"

        Take Care,

        Terry Buchanan
        Low Pressure Promotions, LLC

        425-503-2333

        Star Crossed presented by Stanley - A Brand of PMI - www.starcrossedcx.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 17, 2011
          I believe Doug raises a good point and reinforces the need to develop the USAICO somewhat. The question of "quality" is interesting.

          What defines quality for one versus the other? If we believe that  all boats rise in a high tide, the USAICO could become a forum for best practices and sharing of information.

          There are several other reasons to embrace the USAICO develoopment. I would hope that at a minimum, we start the process in Germany and contnue it in Colorado Springs.

          Regards,