2005/6 schedule

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004

      I want to try to put together a tentative schedule before our meeting next
      week.

      If you've got a date in mind, or if you're just staying on the same date,
      please let me know. Some of you have already contacted me, so thanks for
      that.

      Also, if you're wondering about the World Cup rumors, yes, it's me putting
      in the bid, but it won't be until 2006/7.

      Thanks! I talked to Peter Van den Abeele today, and he's looking forward to
      meeting with us. I'll announce the location as soon as it's finalized.

      Adam F. Hodges Myerson
      Cycle-Smart, Inc.
      President, Solutions for Cycling
      PO Box 1482
      Northampton, MA 01061
      617.776.1833 Office
      413.204.3202 Mobile
      512.681.7043 Fax
      http://necyclocross.com
      http://eastcoastcross.com
    • Burgess Brian
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004
        Congrats on the WC bid. You deserve it. I copied Wade Hess above. He needs to get on this list since he's taking over as the primary promoter of Beacon CX. I'm retiring.

        Adam Hodges Myerson <adam@...> wrote:
        Organizers,

[...]

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Joel Brown
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004
          Hello Adam,

          I'm expecting to keep the W.E. Stedman G.P. on the Saturday before Nationals.  Will Nats be the second weekend in December again?

          Take care,
          Joel

          Joel D. Brown
          METHOD Athlete Development
          1110 South Rd
          Wakefield, RI 02879
          (401) 874-5634 - Office
          (401) 742-5604 - Mobile
          (401) 783-0542 - Fax

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004
            Will the USGP be back in '05...? If so, anyone know
            how that schedule is determined...?

            Granogue/Wissahickon tentative dates; 10-22 & 10-23.

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004
              That's the plan right now, lucky you!

              There's a small chance it could go one week later, but I wouldn't count on
              it.

              Thanks, Joel.

              Adam

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004
                K, Wade has been invited to the list.

                Brian, I can take you off when you want, or you can remove yourself when
                you're ready, or your welcome to stay on if you want to still advice Wade on
                the race. It's up to you.

                Thanks for all your hard effort putting Beacon on. Glad you finally got to
                see it to UCI status before you passed it on.

                So, will you stay on the same date?

                Adam

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004
                  Thanks, Kelly.

                  Regarding the GP, I can only tell you how the process went last year for
                  choosing the dates. I don't expect to be involved in any way next year.

                  Basically, Bruce Fina, Brad Ross, Stu Thorne, Matt Murphy and myself sat
                  down at worlds, looked at the calendar, and tried to pick 3 double weekends
                  that represented the best spacing on the calendar, and provided 2 plane
                  trips in either direction, including nationals. (2 west coast, 2 east
                  coast). It wasn't necessarily an attempt to pick the absolute best races, or
                  all the cat. 1 races. (Northampton wasn't included, for instance, or
                  Granogue, and there were no races in CA.) Logistics were as important as
                  anything else.

                  This year, my understanding is that they'd like to make sure there's also a
                  double California weekend, and the races that were in the GP this year
                  aren't automatically GP races next year.

                  Really, the question is best suited for Bruce Fina, who is not on this list.
                  I'm simply making educated guesses.

                  Adam

                  on 12/2/04 9:56 PM, kjc at kc2738@... wrote:

                  > Will the USGP be back in '05...? If so, anyone know
                  > how that schedule is determined...?
                  >
                  > Granogue/Wissahickon tentative dates; 10-22 & 10-23.
                  >
                  > --- Adam Hodges Myerson <adam@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Organizers,
                  >>
                  >> I want to try to put together a tentative schedule
                  >> before our meeting next
                  >> week.
                  >>
                  >> If you've got a date in mind, or if you're just
                  >> staying on the same date,
                  >> please let me know. Some of you have already
                  >> contacted me, so thanks for
                  >> that.
                  >>
                  >> Also, if you're wondering about the World Cup
                  >> rumors, yes, it's me putting
                  >> in the bid, but it won't be until 2006/7.
                  >>
                  >> Thanks! I talked to Peter Van den Abeele today, and
                  >> he's looking forward to
                  >> meeting with us. I'll announce the location as soon
                  >> as it's finalized.
                  >>
                  >> Adam
                  >> --
                  >> Adam F. Hodges Myerson
                  >> Cycle-Smart, Inc.
                  >> President, Solutions for Cycling
                  >> PO Box 1482
                  >> Northampton, MA 01061
                  >> 617.776.1833 Office
                  >> 413.204.3202 Mobile
                  >> 512.681.7043 Fax
                  >> adam@...
                  >> http://cycle-smart.com
                  >> http://necyclocross.com
                  >> http://eastcoastcross.com

                • strassecyclist
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 3, 2004
                    As for the Beacon Cross date, I would keep it on the same date
                    for now. I emailed the HP guys to see what they had in mind. Beacon &
                    HP on the same weekend seems to work well for everyone. Having the
                    Beacon race on a Saturday is really nice for me.
                    I have not heard from the USGP guy's. Early in the season the game
                    plan was to keep the 04 USGP races for the 05 season. Nothing was
                    writen down stating that, it was just said. I know they want the USGP
                    to grow from 6 races to 8-10 over a few season. Adding a weekend to
                    the west coast and a weekend in the central part of the US.
                    I will not be at Nationals. Being that I work in retail & this is
                    the Holiday shopping season. It is VERY VERY difficult for me to take
                    a day off in Dec.
                    Later,
                    Wade

                    --- In USAICO@yahoogroups.com, Adam Hodges Myerson

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 3, 2004
                      As in our previous conversations, Hampton Velo is
                      pleased to put on a weekend double in 2005, on the
                      same date we utilized last year. Looks like c2 on
                      Saturday October 1st, and c1 on Sunday October 2nd,
                      2005. Thanks!

                      Myles Romanow

                      www.hamptonvelo.com

                      The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                      http://my.yahoo.com
                    • Tom Stevens
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 3, 2004
                        Adam and everyone,
                        I expect that the Maine races will be on the same weekend as this year (which would be October 15 ant 16). I will probably be somewhat less involved with those races. John and Paul will be directing them. I'll help as much as I can.
                        The Gear Works Baystate Cyclocross could be held again on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, but that is not set. Since the Nationals will be following shortly, it might be better to move that date forward. If that is the case I'd like to work that out with the rest of the east coast cross series promoters.
                        See you all this weekend or at Nationals.
                        Tom Stevens

                      • boudreau.p@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 3, 2004
                          Hi all,

                          I'm meeting with our sponsor on Monday. I should then have a better idea of what Gloucester is doing in '05.

                          We are looking into the double race weekend option again.

                          See you either this weekend in Rhode Island or in Portland next weekend!

                          -paul

                          --------------------
                          Paul Boudreau
                          Race Director - Gloucester ECV Cyclocross
                          paul@...
                          gloucestercross.com
                          aim: paullybnikon
                        • sovek
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 3, 2004
                            how does one get involved with the USGP?  its been suggested to try and pull it down to the DC area, and i'm just curious?

                            chip
                            EMI-PVC

                            -------------------------------------

                            <adam@c...> wrote:
                            > Thanks, Kelly.
                            >
                            > Regarding the GP, I can only tell you how the process went last
                            year for
                            > choosing the dates. I don't expect to be involved in any way next
                            year.

                            > Basically, Bruce Fina, Brad Ross, Stu Thorne, Matt Murphy and
                            myself sat
                            > down at worlds, looked at the calendar, and tried to pick 3 double
                            weekends
                            > that represented the best spacing on the calendar, and provided 2
                            plane
                            > trips in either direction, including nationals. (2 west coast, 2
                            east
                            > coast). It wasn't necessarily an attempt to pick the absolute best
                            races, or
                            > all the cat. 1 races. (Northampton wasn't included, for instance, or
                            > Granogue, and there were no races in CA.) Logistics were as
                            important as
                            > anything else.
                            >
                            > This year, my understanding is that they'd like to make sure
                            there's also a
                            > double California weekend, and the races that were in the GP this
                            year
                            > aren't automatically GP races next year.
                            >
                            > Really, the question is best suited for Bruce Fina, who is not on
                            this list.
                            > I'm simply making educated guesses.
                            >
                            > Adam
                            >

                            > on 12/2/04 9:56 PM, kjc at kc2738@y... wrote:
                            >

                            > > Will the USGP be back in '05...?  If so, anyone know
                            > > how that schedule is determined...?
                            > >
                            > > Granogue/Wissahickon tentative dates; 10-22 & 10-23.
                            > >
                            > > --- Adam Hodges Myerson <adam@c...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > >> Organizers,
                            > >>
                            > >> I want to try to put together a tentative schedule
                            > >> before our meeting next
                            > >> week.
                            > >>
                            > >> If you've got a date in mind, or if you're just
                            > >> staying on the same date,
                            > >> please let me know. Some of you have already
                            > >> contacted me, so thanks for
                            > >> that.
                            > >>
                            > >> Also, if you're wondering about the World Cup
                            > >> rumors, yes, it's me putting
                            > >> in the bid, but it won't be until 2006/7.
                            > >>
                            > >> Thanks! I talked to Peter Van den Abeele today, and
                            > >> he's looking forward to
                            > >> meeting with us. I'll announce the location as soon
                            > >> as it's finalized.
                            > >>
                            > >> Adam
                            > >> --
                            > >> Adam F. Hodges Myerson
                            > >> Cycle-Smart, Inc.
                            > >> President, Solutions for Cycling
                            > >> PO Box 1482
                            > >> Northampton, MA 01061
                            > >> 617.776.1833 Office
                            > >> 413.204.3202 Mobile
                            > >> 512.681.7043 Fax
                            > >> adam@c...
                            > >> http://cycle-smart.com
                            > >> http://necyclocross.com
                            > >> http://eastcoastcross.com

                          • Andrew Albright
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 3, 2004
                              What do the promoters get out of the USGP association? Cash? Increased riders? More media exposure?

                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 3, 2004
                                Good question.
                                More Elite riders is the obvious benefit. Media is a function of how hard &
                                smart the promoter works themselves. Maybe, a little more
                                National/VeloNewsish type of press. This however does little good
                                obtaining/keeping non-industry sponsors, vs local print, radio & TV
                                advertsising and publicity.
                                If USGP hooked up with OLN, then it is game on.
                                USGP selection could be interesting in '05.

                                > What do the promoters get out of the USGP association? Cash? Increased
                                > riders? More media exposure?

                              • wade hess
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 3, 2004
                                  For the Beacon race, we had more racers than ever
                                  before. Made more money even with a much greater
                                  payout. I also work at Beacon Cycling stores so the
                                  VeloNews coverage has helped me with sales at Beacon.
                                  Also had Bridgeton News & The Press of Atlantic City
                                  run 2 stories(Sat & Sun edition) about the event. That
                                  helped out with sales more than VeloNews did.
                                  So as team Pres and working sales at Beacon, it was a
                                  win-win. The team made enough money from race entries
                                  to be a UCI in 2005. And I had customers come to
                                  Beacon due to the press coverage.
                                  Wade

                                  === message truncated ===

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • brianburgess3593
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 6, 2004
                                    In short - No, Yes, Yes

                                    No more money. Actually it cost us additional money - some nominal
                                    fees to USGP (like MAC does) and some 'mandatory' expenses we voted
                                    on (like using Fries to announce). We did get a lot of merchandise
                                    prizes to add to what we had (which was a lot to begin with) but all
                                    the cash payout was 100% Beacon. All the financial risk was Beacon's.

                                    Yes more riders. Beacon typically had some of the lowest attendance
                                    in the MAC, regardless of date, weather, competing races etc. Our
                                    racer #'s were up all over, just like the rest of the MAC, but 55
                                    elite men, 35 elite women and master's and junior fields with real
                                    national flair could be attributed to USGP. With 265 total, we were
                                    3rd highest attendance in the MAC. We were typically damn near or at
                                    the bottom. HP was #1.

                                    Yes more media. This had two parts. The obvious part was VN and
                                    whatnot. The less obvious part is it was easier to sell the story
                                    idea to local and regional media when we could pitch as part of a
                                    regional AND national series. We got a couple of before and after
                                    stories in the local and regional press.

                                    All of the above came at some cost of increased coordination issues
                                    (especially resolving potential or actual conflicts between MAC and
                                    USGP sponsors) and just more bureaucracy - more emails, more people
                                    to deal with, more phone calls, more egos and personalities etc. As
                                    everyone knows from promoting races, there's a lot to do and tons of
                                    details. This added to the to-do's significantly.

                                    All in all, very worth it from my perspective.

                                    --- In USAICO@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Albright <monkeyhillcs@e...>

                                    subject=Unsubscribe>