Nationals promoters' meeting

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 17, 2004
      Fellow organizers,

      I'd like to get us all together again for what I'm hoping will now be an
      annual US Association of International Cyclo-Cross Organizers meeting.

      I'm happy to announce the Peter Van Den Abeele from the UCI has agreed to
      attend our meeting.

      I'm interested in hearing topics from all of you that should be on the
      agenda. What questions do you have? What feedback do you want to offer?

      I expect we'll discuss next year's schedule as well, so please come prepared
      with your preferred dates.

      I'd like to submit Saturday, 7-8 pm, at the race hotel, unless there are any
      objections or suggestions otherwise. I'll work on getting space for us.

      Looking forward to seeing all of you there.

      Adam F. Hodges Myerson
      Cycle-Smart, Inc.
      President, Solutions for Cycling
      PO Box 1482
      Northampton, MA 01061
      617.776.1833 Office
      413.204.3202 Mobile
      512.681.7043 Fax
      http://necyclocross.com
      http://eastcoastcross.com
    • Tom Stevens
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 18, 2004
        Adam,
        I will be there.
        Tom Stevens

        re:
        Fellow organizers,

        I'd like to get us all together again for what I'm hoping will now be an
        annual US Association of International Cyclo-Cross Organizers meeting.

      • Burgess Brian
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 18, 2004
          Thanks for the invite but I am retiring from promoting races after this year. I've been the primary promoter for 7 CX races and the NJ State RR and worked with Wade on 2 crits and another State RR. I've got 2 little kids at home, and new job blah blah blah - long story short - I'm done. Going out with a bang with the USGP/MAC race.

          Wade will probably continue Beacon's CX race.

          Adam Hodges Myerson <adam@...> wrote:
[...]

          Do you Yahoo!?
          The all-new My Yahoo! � Get yours free!

        • sovek
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
            adam,

            for those that will not be able to make it, i'm sure you will provide a well documented report to keep us in the loop.

            chip
            Cap Cross Classic
            VA
            ------------------------------------

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
              Naturally. But I'll still find a way to mock those not in attendance as
              punishment.

              Attached are the minutes from last year's meeting, to refresh people of what
              the issues were a year ago, and provide and example of what you can expect.

              Date, Chip, date. Are you planning to stay on your date next year?

              Adam

            • sovek
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
                trust me, i'm bummed i can't make it out this year.   family, work...the usual commitments must prevail, but i'll be there in spirit.

                chip

                Adam Hodges Myerson wrote:
                Naturally. But I'll still find a way to mock those not in attendance as
                punishment.

                Attached are the minutes from last year's meeting, to refresh people of what
                the issues were a year ago, and provide and example of what you can expect.

                Date, Chip, date. Are you planning to stay on your date next year?

                Adam

                on 12/2/04 9:53 PM, sovek at sovek@... wrote:

                > adam,
                >
                > for those that will not be able to make it, i'm sure you will provide a
                > well documented report to keep us in the loop.
                >
                > chip
                > Cap Cross Classic
                > VA
                > ------------------------------------
                >
                > Adam Hodges Myerson wrote:
                >
                >> Fellow organizers,
                >>
                >> I'd like to get us all together again for what I'm hoping will now be an
                >> annual US Association of International Cyclo-Cross Organizers meeting.
                >>
                >> I'm happy to announce the Peter Van Den Abeele from the UCI has agreed to
                >> attend our meeting.
                >>
                >> I'm interested in hearing topics from all of you that should be on the
                >> agenda. What questions do you have? What feedback do you want to offer?
                >>
                >> I expect we'll discuss next year's schedule as well, so please come
                >> prepared
                >> with your preferred dates.
                >>
                >> I'd like to submit Saturday, 7-8 pm, at the race hotel, unless there
                >> are any
                >> objections or suggestions otherwise. I'll work on getting space for us.
                >>
                >> Looking forward to seeing all of you there.
                >>
                >> Adam
                >> --
                >> Adam F. Hodges Myerson
                >> Cycle-Smart, Inc.
                >> President, Solutions for Cycling
                >> PO Box 1482
                >> Northampton, MA 01061
                >> 617.776.1833 Office
                >> 413.204.3202 Mobile
                >> 512.681.7043 Fax
                >> adam@...
                >> http://cycle-smart.com
                >> http://necyclocross.com
                >> http://eastcoastcross.com
                >>

                >> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                >> click here
                >> <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129r7h5m4/M=298184.5584357.6650215.3001176/D=gro
                >> ups/S=1707615714:HM/EXP=1100823175/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http://www.ne
                >> tflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>

                >>     * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                >>       Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                Subject:
                [USAICO] USAICO Meeting overview
                From:
                Adam Hodges Myerson <adam@...>
                Date:
                Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:57:22 -0500
                To:
                USAICO <USAICO@yahoogroups.com>
                To:
                USAICO <USAICO@yahoogroups.com>
                CC:
                <dcowley@...>, Pat Flanagan <pflanagan@...>, Richard Fries <rfries@...>, Bryan Jew <BJew@...>, Greg Black <greg@...>, Michael Magur <mike@...>, Andrew Albright <monkeyhillcs@...>, "Burgess, Brian [Planning]" <BurgessB@...>, C Thomas McDaniel <ctmcdaniel@...>, Craig Callan <CMCallan@...>, Mike Hebe <mhebe@...>, <kc2738@...>, <kuhndog1@...>, <slitvin@...>, <sovek@...>, Jonathan Sundt <debehop@...>, Brian Furness <brianfurness@...>, "Bisceglia, Gerard" <gbisceglia@...>, Erwin Vervecken <erwin.vervecken@...>, Régis Alexandre <cyclo-cross@...>, NECCS Promoters <neccs_promoters@yahoogroups.com>

                Overview of the inaugural meeting of the US Association of International
                Cyclo-Cross Organizers

                All,

                We had what I would consider to be a very successful meeting at nationals,
                albeit a late start and finish, and sleepy eyes by the time we were done. To
                assemble a large portion of US UCI event organizers in the same room for the
                first time was a major, historic accomplishment. I'd like to thank all of
                you who attended.

                I didn't keep meeting minutes, but I'll try to review the main points that
                were hit upon, and directions that were chosen.

                Present were race organizers from CA, WA, OR, NC, UT, MA, ME, and MI, as
                well as "interested party" Geoff Proctor, and USAC National Events
                Coordinator Matt Murphy. (Matt's new assistant was present as well, and I
                apologize for forgetting his name.)

                Major Points:

                1. Matt handed out the UCI calendar application for 2004. The original
                deadline was Dec. 15, but that has been extended to Jan. 5. To receive a
                copy of the application from Matt by fax, please e-mail him your fax number
                and contact info at <mmurphy@...>. Matt is also on the USAICO
                e-mail list.

                2. USAC permit fees must be paid according to your full prize list in 2004.
                Previous "arrangements" some promoters had in the past, carrying over from
                Tara Morris, are no longer valid. This permit fee is different from your
                calendar fee you pay to the UCI.

                Schedule Issues/Philosophy:

                3. It was put forth that the SuperCup raised the level of 'cross in the US,
                and broke down many of the regional, even tribal barriers that created much
                of the negative rivalries that existed in the '80's and '90's. It was agreed
                that with the new generation of riders and promoters, healthy rivalries are
                fun, but we're committed to working together and learning from each other
                for the benefit of US 'cross as a whole. Destructive scene rivalry is dead.

                4. Without the SuperCup, the "middle" of the sport has been filled in and
                strengthened by the growth of a Cyclo-Cross National Racing Calendar,
                consisting of all the US UCI races. However, we still need to be moving
                towards a reintroduction of a "US Pro Cyclo-Cross Tour," consisting of a
                weekend of the biggest races in each strong 'cross region, currently the
                Northwest, NorCal, New England, and the Mid-Atlantic. Ideally, this would
                happen in 2005. Even after that, the 'cross NRC will still have value, as
                UCI points will continue to be a factor in worlds selection criteria, as
                Matt pointed out. However, a pro 'cross tour will guarantee the best riders
                from every region attending at least 6-8 races before nationals.

                5. It was agreed that the development of the NRC had to take a bi-coastal
                approach, with the middle races (currently, Michigan, Salt Lake, and Reno)
                trying to fit in amongst that schedule where it makes the most sense. That
                means the east coast and west coast first working together to make sure that
                for riders within the respective region, there are no (or minimal) conflicts
                within driving distances, and that there are races every weekend. From
                there, each coast will come together (primarily Jim Brown representing the
                West, and myself representing the East), and try to mitigate major conflicts
                if possible.

                With the incredibly early deadline from the UCI this year, however, this
                will be nearly impossible. The current situation is essentially that the
                east has already finalized it's schedule, leaving room for established big
                west coast weekends (namely Seattle/Portland and Nationals), and hoping the
                Western promoters can work around that schedule to everyone's benefit.

                6. It was suggested that regions with warmer weather begin to look to
                organizing UCI events after nationals, in January. Generally, the season was
                considered to begin the weekend after Labor Day and go until the weekend
                before Christmas. Further expansion is desired at least until the second
                weekend of January (the traditional national championships date), and in
                further years, until the last weekend of January (the weekend before the
                world championships).

                7. A January nationals was generally agreed as desirable, with many caveats.
                No one was in a hurry to see it happen, yet the consensus seemed to be that
                we would get there sooner or later, and was a necessary carrot for extending
                the season in most regions. For it to happen, a promoter needs to put in a
                bid willing to go on that date, the "mood" of the 'cross community would be
                evaluated, and a decision made. The pros and cons were many, we've all heard
                them before, and are too long to list here.

                8. It was agreed that all the US UCI organizers would loosely join together
                under the banner of the US Association of International Cyclo-Cross
                Organizers, modeled after the AIOC-Cross in Europe. The USAICO e-mail list
                would become the primary means of communication between UCI organizers, and
                between Matt Murphy and us. From this e-mail on, all correspondence will be
                done there. UCI race organizers receiving this e-mail who have not joined
                the list should do so here: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/USAICO/>. This
                group will be limited to one person per event, an organizer or president of
                a series of events, and Matt Murphy. We would be happy to have a
                representative from the UCI and/or the AIOC-Cross on the list as well.

                9. It was suggested that all UCI promoters should generally try to attend
                each other's events, but specifically the US Nationals Championships and the
                UCI World Championships, as our two "conventions." We agreed on a yearly
                meeting at nationals, and all were encouraged to attend the AIOC-Cross
                meeting at Worlds this year, to become part of the international 'cross
                community.

                10. The East Coast 'Cross schedule was presented:

                Date Race Name Location Category
                Oct. 16 Downeast Cyclo-Cross New Gloucester, ME 3
                Oct. 23 Granogue, DE 2
                Oct. 24 Wissahickon, PA 3
                Oct. 30 Central Mass Cyclo-Cross to End Homelessness Worcester, MA 2
                Oct. 31 ECV/Clif Bar Cyclo-Cross Gloucester, MA 2
                Nov. 6 Saturn Classic Harrisburg, PA 2
                Nov. 7 Harrisburg, PA 3
                Nov. 13 Chainbiter 6.0 Farmington, CT 2/3?
                Nov. 14 14th Cycle-Smart International Northampton, MA 2
                Nov. 20 Beacon Bridgeton, NJ 3
                Nov. 21 Highland Park, NJ 2
                Nov. 27 Gearworks Cyclo-Cross Sterling, MA 3
                Dec. 4 Reston, VA 3
                Dec. 4 WE Stedman Grand Prix of Cyclo-Cross S. Kingston, RI 3
                Dec. 5 NEBC Cyclo-Cross Merrimack, NH 3

                Other known dates were Jonny Sundt's race on the last weekend of September,
                Michigan on the first weekend of October, and Portland/Seattle on the second
                weekend of October. The 2004 trade show in Vegas is on October 6-8,
                Wednesday-Friday.

                With that, the meeting was generally concluded, with a commitment to keeping
                the lines of communication open and continuing to work together.

                I believe that every US UCI organizer is represented here, with the
                exception of the Reno promoter, whose e-mail has bounced in the past. If
                anyone knows this person and can contact him or forward this e-mail to him
                at a better address, please do so, and CC me on it.

                Thank you, everyone.

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
                  Chip, YOUR DATE!

                  Are you going to stay on the same date?

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004

                    I'm waiting for some more info but for now Granogue will be the weekend
                    before Gloucester.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 3, 2004
                      I have flexibility around dates. I can stay at 11/6 timeframe or move up
                      into October. I may prefer moving my date forward, it helps in certain
                      logistics for me.

> [...]
                      >> Dec. 5 NEBC Cyclo-Cross Merrimack, NH 3
                      >>
                      >> Other known dates were Jonny Sundt's race on the last weekend of
                      >> September,
                      >> Michigan on the first weekend of October, and Portland/Seattle on the
                      >> second
                      >> weekend of October. The 2004 trade show in Vegas is on October 6-8,
                      >> Wednesday-Friday.
                      >>
                      >> With that, the meeting was generally concluded, with a commitment to
                      >> keeping
                      >> the lines of communication open and continuing to work together.
                      >>
                      >> I believe that every US UCI organizer is represented here, with the
                      >> exception of the Reno promoter, whose e-mail has bounced in the past. If
                      >> anyone knows this person and can contact him or forward this e-mail to
                      >> him
                      >> at a better address, please do so, and CC me on it.

                    • sovek
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 3, 2004
                        we will stick to our first sunday in decemer, the 4th for 2005.  i had entertained the idea of sliding it earlier, considering my race hasn't happened quite yet, i've got not time to think about it.  either way, count us in!

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 3, 2004
                          Adam,
                             It's been confirmed that Louisville would like to host a UCI race on Saturday, October 8th.  We'd be interested in doing the Cincinnati race the following day, Sunday, October 9th.

                          Thanks!
                          Mitch

                          Adam

                          Do you Yahoo!?