Re: [USAICO] Worldwide UCI event maps

  • Dwayne Letterman
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 135 KB
    Here is the "official" region map sent by Kelli a few weeks ago.

    Dwayne

    On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Gumbo Boy <gumboboy69@...> wrote:

    Adam et al -

    Question for the ranks here. Being from Ohio I am attempting to figure the correct region for Ohio's events. On the road and mountain region listing we are listed as North Central, but in Adam's listing of events we are in the Northeast region.

    I also realize there has been region discussions posted here with maps that differ from the USA Cycling regions I see on the website as well.

    The biggest reason for asking is that we have been in contact and working with Larry Martin (regional rep) about a possible Regional Masters Championships being hosted here in the Ohio Valley, but this confusion in geography inclusion may make those conversations mute.

    Which reigonal maps should we use for discussions along these lines?

    Corey

    On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Adam Myerson <adam@...> wrote:

    Organizers,

    You may find these maps interesting. I'll be using them in an upcoming article about the number of UCI events in a region compared with population density, geography, rider quality, and event and rider development.

    The first one shows all the events, but in cluster clouds, better representing regions that have double weekends at the same venue:

    This one is a pure head count, one pin per race, but doesn't show double weekends as effectively.

    As you zoom in, the data gets more specific.You can also isolate by event classes.

    Enjoy.

    President, Cycle-Smart, Inc.: Solutions for Cycling
    President, Verge New England Championship Cyclo-Cross Series
    Captain, Team Mountain Khakis

    Tri Cities Road Club:
    http://www.tricitiesroadclub.org
    Mud, Sweat and Gears Cyclo-cross:
    http://www.msgcross.com
  • Gumbo Boy
    Message 2 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011
      Thanks Adam, that clears up this map, but I think the source question still exists with the discrepancies I have seen in the USA Cycling regional maps. I will discuss offline with Kelli and Larry.
      Corey

      On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Adam Myerson <adam@...> wrote:

      Zoom in the map more, and you'll see the Ohio races broken out.

      I didn't put anyone in any region. It's based entirely on the map software and mileage between events. There is no value placed or grouping being done on my end.

      It might be good to lie the USAC regions on top of the US map only for an internal discussion about US events. That's not specifically what this map was intended to do. It's just straight data, and speaks for itself.

      Adam

      Message 3 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011
        Right - exactly the reason for my question. On other USA Cycling documentation (esp for Road and MTB) we ae grouped with Indiana and Kentucky and the North Central group.

        Obviously this impacts our region discussion greatly based our close ties with Kentucky and Indiana in the OVCX.

        Corey

        [Attachment(s) from Dwayne Letterman included below]

        Message 4 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011
          For non-UCI events you should go with the established 5 USAC regions for determining boundaries for regional championships, etc.  The UCI region map as put together by Kelli and the UCI is just for UCI race classification and calendar purposes.

          Alan

          To: USAICO@yahoogroups.com
          From: gumboboy69@...
          Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 09:47:25 -0500
          Subject: Re: [USAICO] Worldwide UCI event maps

          Right - exactly the reason for my question. On other USA Cycling documentation (esp for Road and MTB) we ae grouped with Indiana and Kentucky and the North Central group.

          Obviously this impacts our region discussion greatly based our close ties with Kentucky and Indiana in the OVCX.

          Corey

          [Attachment(s) from Dwayne Letterman included below] Here is the "official" region map sent by Kelli a few weeks ago.

          Message 5 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011
            Thanks, that makes sense. Explains my confusion.
            Corey

            To: USAICO@yahoogroups.com

              Message 7 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011

                So the American UCI inscripitions are due to go in Wednesday (tomorrow) does anyone have any info on what is going on?

                Subject: RE: 11/12 UCI CX Event Inscription/Calendar Update

                Hi All –

                I just wanted to give you an update and let you know we’ve been reviewing the event evaluations and sorting out different options for events that have date conflicts.  We are also reaching out to some key athletes for their feedback.

                The USAC offices are closed from December 23 – January 2.  I may be calling and/or emailing some of you during the holiday break to sort through any outstanding date conflicts, event moves, or discussion about your event.

                Thanks for your patience.  Have a great holiday.

                -Kelli

                phone:  719.434.4285

                Message 8 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011

                  Tom et al –

                  I’ve been speaking with specific organizers if there has been date conflict or moving of events.

                  This is a huge process which has involved officials report reviews, calendar overview, and discussion with key team managers and riders.

                  The internal final meetings are today, so once the calendar has been finalized, I’ll be emailing you to set up phone discussions for later this week if you event has been denied Category 1 status, event date will be moved to your second choice, or if the event will be moved to the National (non-UCI) calendar.

                  Thanks for your patience.

                  Sincerely,

                  Kelli

                  phone:  719.434.4285

                  USAC_standard_Type_Inside_small

                  Message 9 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011

                    Alan –

                    Actually, the regional map used for UCI CX purposes is also the map used for Regional Championships, not the Regional Coordinator (five-region) map.

                    Thanks,

                    To: USAICO@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 10 of 13 , Jan 4, 2011

                      Kelli-

                      Just so I understand the process, your submitting the finalized calendar to the UCI on the 5th.

                      And after the fact you will be informing us of the status of our UCI inscriptions?

                      When will you be releasing the calendar that you are submitting to the UCI on the 5th?  We really need that calendar.

                      I would not think that Granogue is alone with the following:

                      We lined up funding for Granogue, our sponsors and expo vendors do not understand why I can’t tell them if we will be a UCI race next year, if we are UCI what class, what date etc.  The window for wrapping up event funding is closing.

                      We can not nail down the date of the event with the race venue, Granogue is a busy estate.  I don’t know the date of my event, I don’t even know if it will be on the two dates that I submitted.

                      We can not see where we integrate on your finalized calendar to see if your choices make for a calendar that makes having a UCI race make any sense for our region.

                      Our MAC race promoters meeting this weekend will be pretty useless without the UCI calendar in our hands.

                      I understand it’s a huge process, however it is a job that USA Cycling has taken on.   I was under the impression that USA Cycling thought it would be wrapped up by now.  I also thought that we as promoters were going to have some look at the calendar before it was sent out on the 5th.

                      Helplessly waiting while the calendar is thrashed out is not the same as being patient.

                      Sincerely