348Re: Gloucester USGP dates

  • finasport1
    Dec 1, 2005
      First: To Tom.

      Thank you for your continued support. You have always been
      supportive of cross and everything that anyone has taken on to better
      the sport. While, as you say, we are in some way the 400 lb
      Gorilla, we are not trying to throw that weight around recklessly.
      We are simply trying to come to conclusions in a way that is correct
      and sensitive to others feelings and ambitions. We are working
      furiously to get our schedule done. We are speaking with 8-10
      different promoters about events for next season but are narrowing it
      down now. The challenge that I have spoken of is that we just
      completed the series season and the folks in California have not even
      settled thier books to decide whether they want to undertake another
      USGP. Therefore it is tough for us to make that decision without
      them.

      In any case, we will be done hopefully by the end of the weekend.

      To Adam. I appreciate your kind words. We have had our differences
      but I would gladly put them behind us. I have simply heard from
      various people around the US that you have predicted that we would
      not be around much longer. Unless you know something I do not, then
      you are mistaken. The USGP is stable and solvent and while some
      people would like to see us do more and bigger, we have chosen a
      conservative path to grow this that can be counted on for years to
      come. Sponsorship is always hard to come by but that said, we do not
      make promises we cannot keep and therefore we expect no September
      surprises.

      In any case, lets put this crap to and end and get on with it. We
      are good to go, races are good, I think and hope US cross is
      benefiting and we want to keep it going that way. This season,
      every US GP set a record for attendance at thier race. Even as great
      as Gloucester was and is, they exceeded expectations even in the snow!

      Ok, we will get you everything we have, as soon as we have it.

      Thanks again to all!

      Bruce

      --- In USAICO@yahoogroups.com, Adam Hodges Myerson <adam@c...> wrote:

      > Bruce,
      >
      > I have never said anything on this list, or to anyone in private
      > conversation, that I have not also said to you personally, and in a
      > reasonable and professional manner.
      >
      > I have also not held you to a different standard than I hold myself
      and
      > every other organizer on this list, when it could be argued that
      you should,
      > in fact, be held to a higher standard.
      >
      > I stated clearly that I believe in the GP, I support it, and I want
      it to
      > succeed. You were the one who stepped up and took on the work that
      many of
      > us had only been talking about, and the work you, Paul, and Geoff
      have done
      > is appreciated by all of us. You will get support from every
      organizer on
      > this list, provided the GP doesn't happen at their expense.
      >
      > I think Tom's e-mail summed things up very well, and so I ask again:
      >
      > What exactly are your desires, what are your limiters, and what are
      the
      > possible scenarios?
      >
      > Adam
      >
      > on 12/1/05 5:23 AM, finasport1 at finasport@a... wrote:
      >
      > > Dear Adam:
      > >
      > > Thanks for your mail. As the newly appointed US Representative
      for
      > > Cross to the UCI I think you should remain neutral and supportive
      > > all here. I do not enjoy hearing you criticize the USGP both
      > > privately and publicly all of the time, instead of directly to us
      or
      > > me in a reasonable and professional manner. We are trying hard to
      > > provide world class racing in the US. Between Geoff Proctor and
      > > myself we have over 15 years of experience managing and, in
      Geoff's
      > > case racing, at a World Cup and World Championship level. Not
      that
      > > we are not above criticism, we are harsher on ourselves than
      anyone
      > > else could be.
      > >
      > > The recent results of Ryan Trebon are proof that what we are
      doing is
      > > succeeding. He left the US after winning only 2 of the 4 USGPs he
      > > raced and then was able to finish 9th in a UCI Cat 1 in Belgium
      this
      > > past weekend. The class of US racing is getting better and
      better,
      > > as you stated in your DVD "Transition," at a USGP last season.
      > >
      > > I respect what each and every promoter is undertaking to organize
      > > race and we can go back in time, even you Adam, and thank guys
      like
      > > Clark Natwick and Lyle Fulkerson, for paving our way for us.
      Those
> [...]
      > > commit to a race or a date until they have at least had one year
      > > under thier belt with a USGP. Also, you know yourself from your
      > > experience in Worcester that it is hard to commit to a race so
      > > early. Remember that your Worcester race was on the USGP calender
      > > until you cancelled for lack of funding. To avoid the trials and
      > > tribultations of that, we are doing our best to make sure we have
      > > solid promoters. We do not want to have Super Cup surprises in
      > > Septmeber. We have done everything we can to bend over backwards
      > > with the USGP promoters to not push them until we at least
      understand
      > > them and their challenges. This includes being patient to see
      what
      > > they do with their races. After 2 seasons we now think that we
      can
      > > start to offer each and every promoter more and more in the way of
      > > best practices we have learned from the races around the country
      as
      > > well as our European experience.
      > >
      > > Ok, enough I think, as Myles said, that is my 2 cents. I
      appreciate
      > > everyones effort to get this done and make it work. We would
      like to
      > > do our part and we hope that at least some of you have gotten
      benefit
      > > out of the USGP existing. Such as increased interest, or as Myles
      > > mentioned increased racers at a weekend before or after a USGP in
      the
      > > area.
      > >
      > > Sincerely Your
      > >
      > > Bruce
      > >

      > > --- In USAICO@yahoogroups.com, Adam Hodges Myerson <adam@c...>
      wrote:

      > >> Organizers,
      > >>
      > >> I think it's important to think back to why this group of US UCI
      > > cyclo-cross
      > >> organizers exists, and why there's a national cyclo-cross racing
      > > calendar
      > >> with healthy, stable, individual races across the country.
      > > Essentially, it
      > >> was a reaction to the lack of organization of the national series
      > > at the
      > >> time. The rest of us were organized, had our dates set a year in
      > > advance
      > >> with no problem, and were working together. As late as September,
      > > the bomb
      > >> of the SuperCup was regularly dropped on us, which left everyone
      > > scrambling
      > >> to get out of the way to save their own races.
      > >>
      > >> When the SuperCup went away, what was left? Again, a healthy,
      > > stable, NRC of
      > >> individual race organizers across the country. High level 'cross
      > > didn't die,
      > >> it blossomed with the room it head above its head.
      > >>
      > >> For the group of US organizers at this point, it's not reasonable
      > > for the
      > >> USGP to operate in a vacuum or to assume that all the other US
      UCI
      > >> organizers should have to plan around it while it operates on a
      > > different
      > >> timetable than the rest of us. The USGP only exists because of
      the
      > > work of
      > >> individual promoters who were already organizing successful
      events.
      > > How is
      > >> it that we find ourselves once again in the situation where every
      > > race in
      > >> the country has its dates set other than the national series,
      when
      > > it should
      > >> be the other way around?
      > >>
      > >> The fact that we need to know our dates more than a year in
      advance
      > > is not a
      > >> negative; it's a reflection of the kind of organization
      necessary to
      > >> organize a quality, stable event that's rooted and has support in
      > > its
      > >> community and the racing scene. Races should have stability,
      > > history, and
      > >> tradition, or should be working towards that. Yearly date changes
      > > disrupt
      > >> that, and have a ripple effect that disrupts the entire calendar.
      > > If the
      > >> USGP is supposed to set the standard, then it should be organized
      > > better,
      > >> and sooner, than all of the other US races.
      > >>
      > >> If the USGP needs to reconsider its dates, it needs to do so in
      an
      > > open way
      > >> that involves discussion with ALL the events on the NRC. It can't
      > > operate as
      > >> a wrecking ball like the SuperCup did. The scene is much too
      > > unified now to
      > >> allow that to take place.
      > >>
      > >> We've seen that the NW races have committed to their dates. We
      > > haven't heard
      > >> from California, but we have heard from Bruce that there needs
      to be
      > >> geographical flow to the GP schedule. At the same time, we hear
      that
      > >> Gloucester is getting pressured to go earlier.
      > >>
      > >> Logically, if the NW is set then I would expect the second race
      > > be in CA,
      > >> and the finals to be in Gloucester. However, since Gloucester has
      > > to go
      > >> early, you'd expect it to perhaps be the first race in the
      series.

      > >> My expectation would be that the GP would set it's dates, and
      > > consider
      > >> moving it's races around on those dates, so as not to disrupt the
      > > schedule
      > >> or operate at the expense of other race organizers who are
      > > announcing their
      > >> dates in good faith.
      > >>
      > >> I'm sympathetic to the pressure Gloucester is under right now.
      But
      > > let's say
      > >> they do move forward 2 weeks, to the 14/15 of October. First,
      that
      > > could be
      > >> possible, and they could swap with New Gloucester, ME for those
      > > dates and
      > >> maintain the flow of the calendar. But we've heard no discussion
      > > that
      > >> effect yet, and we need to if this is a possible scenario.
      > >>
      > >> Second, moving forward will not address the risk of damage to the
      > > course you
      > >> wish to avoid. Anyone who was at Maine this year on the weekend
      > > Gloucester
      > >> is talking about moving to remembers it as the muddiest race
      we've
      > > had all
      > >> season so far. We had a week of rain in New England that didn't
      end
      > > until
      > >> Sunday. What would have happened if Gloucester was on that date
      > > this year?
      > >> Would you have to move to September?
      > >>
      > >> Everyone on this list, and every cyclo-cross rider in the US,
      > > supports and
      > >> wants to see a successful USGP, myself included. We need BOTH a
      > > national
      > >> racing calendar of events week in and week out, as well as a
      > > national series
      > >> that brings all the best riders together for a few select races.
      > > Every
      > >> organizer on this list is willing to be flexible, open, and
      > > cooperative with
      > >> the USGP to make sure that it's a success. But it needs to go
      both
      > > ways, and
      > >> we all need to be part of that process if it's going to go
      forward
      > > in a
      > >> successful way.
      > >>
      > >> Mike's e-mail was reasonable, in my opinion, and reflected what I
      > > think many
      > >> of us are feeling. We're all ready to go, and none of us want to
      > > have our
      > >> seats kicked out from under us.
      > >>
      > >> So Bruce, what I think we all need to hear is, what exactly are
      your
      > >> desires, what are your limiters, and what are the possible
      > > scenarios?
      > >>
      > >> Adam

      > > with
      > > dates