***Thought & Humor*** Happy Weekend - April 29, 2005 Edition - Please Forward To Your Mom

  • Howdy Your-Friend
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2005

      Weekend
      Party
      Riddles

      1) I will help you with your writing,
                Probably through me you will see,
                But if you want to ship me,
                You'll put me right inside of me.

                I wear many different hats you know,
                In construction plus I'm tracing,
                I also do work for the board,
                Lots of kids use me for a racing.

                You can fold me, tear me,
                Rip me without using all your might,
                But be careful how you touch me,
                I may give you my famous bite.

                What Am I?

      2) An old man said to a young man, "I have a daughter. She
      has as many brothers as she has sisters. Each one of her
      brothers has twice as many sisters as he has brothers.
      How many sons and daughters do I have?"

      3) When you walk through the front door, you are in
      the back. What is it?

      4) My first is in add, but not in take,
              My second's in joint, but not in steak,
              My third is in stack, but not in heap,
              My fourth is in thick, but not in deep,
              My fifth is in veal, but not in lamb,
              My sixth is in ounce, but not in dram,
              My seventh's in smile, but not in frown,
              My whole is a writer of highest renown.
              Who am I?

      5) What English word has three successive double letters?

      6) A man asked his son what he wanted for his birthday. His
      son couldn't decide, so he asked him what he wanted to be
      when he grew up. His son replied, "either a mechanic or a
      musician". What did the man buy his son for his birthday?

      7) Out of the eater came forth meat,
      and out of the strong came forth sweetness.

      Answers located on BLOG.
      Look for the UNC prof!!!

      Be sure & vote your opinion on our New BLOG poll!!!
      (You  may vote for more than one selection.)

                              Welcome to the E-Mail Newspaper
                                       featuring 'Thought & Humor'
                                                 by Howdy

      Double Click on Mouse For Latest Award Winning Issue
      or go to this site on the web for great cyber humor, cartoons,
      cyber thought & riddles:         http://ilovehowdy.blogspot.com/

      Double click above link or copy and paste this link into your Web Browser's address line

                                    (Keep your speaker on to hear some of Howdy's music)

      ===============

      This Week's Issue Is Packed With:

      1) Great Humor
      2) Thought
      3) Riddles
      4) Word Puzzles
      5) Letters
      6) Trivia
      7) Much More

      ===============

      Here's a way you can tell your
      friends/family about 'T & H' -
      just click on one of the envelopes
      at the end of a joke, cartoon,
      article that you like on the blog
      & wish to share & send it....

      ===============

      Don't Have Internet Access???

      Write Howdy to be placed on the once/wk list to receive
      portions of the Blog (similar format to last year's weekly
      e-mail issues) at no charge & FREE to YOUR e-mail address!!!

      ===============

      ***WARNING***WARNING***WARNING***WARNING***
      This material is not suitable for those who are deficient in humor
      or thought challenged!!! Do not read any further - you have been
      warned. Preconceived ideas and biases could be endangered.
      A unique blend of the jocular with provocative rumination is just
      ahead for your divertissement!?! "UNSUBSCRIBE" communiqué
      located below.
        Even UNC Sophomores can do it...

      ===============

      Bookmark YOUR NEW Blog:
      http://ilovehowdy.blogspot.com/
      Updated frequently!!!
      Cartoons, humor &  thought daily.
      Please post at your school/work site.

      ===============

      'Thought & Humor' -  often polemical but
      never tasteless/unrefined/uncouth/ribald.

      ===============

      Permission is hereby granted for you to change all
      humor used in The"E-Mail Newspaper", 'Thought
      & Humor' and its subsidiaries related to the institution
      of lower learning hereby known as UNC to another
      of your choice from the list below:

      1) French university students
      2) Harvard or U.C.-Berkeley
      3) Any accredited high school or middle school
      4) Any Loggerheads & Pundits
      5) Any and all persnickety individuals or nincompoops
      6) Any Chapel Hill, NC Citizen unless same sends an offspring
      to NCSU, JSU, MSU, USC, UGA, or FSU.

      ===============

      Howdy's address:       your-bestfriend4u@...

      ===============

      Board of Advisors for 'Thought & Humor':

      Did you know that 'Thought & Humor' has a distinguished Board of Advisors
      that are designed to be a cross section demographically of our readership as far
      as age, location, gender, marital status, education & occupation are concerned???

      Bill - 50's - FL - Computer Operator for 911 System, V.P. - Archives
      Brenda - 50's - TX - University Administor, Married
      Caroline - 20's - FL - Married, University Student
      Cindy - 40's - FL - Married, 501 (c) (3) Corp.
      Doug - 50's - TN - President of 501(c)(3) Corp, Married
      Ellen - 20's - NJ - University Student
      Emily - 30's - TN - Banker, Married
      Janet - 40's - MI - Married, Former Missionary to Arab Country
      Jill - 50's - MN - Restaurant Owner, Married
      Jim - 40's - NM - Businessman, Married
      John - 50's - Peru - Pastor, Married
      Judy - 60's - TX - Retired School Administrator
      Katie - 20's - NC - Teacher, Married to UNC Med Student
      Laura - 30's - NY - English Teacher
      Lisa - 40's - TN - Secretary, Married
      Marie - 60's - South Africa - Entrepreneur, Politician
      Mamie - 20's - GA - Elementary Teacher
      Milton - 19 - GA - College Student
      Phil - 50's WI - Handicapped
      Rob - 30's - NY - University Administor, Married
      Ruth - 50's - CA - Real Estate, Involved in Spanish Ministry
      Sarah - 30's - NC - UNC Student, Married
      Shirl - 60's - CO - Finance Manager - Married to Minister
      Wanda - 40's - Asia - Married - Communist Country

      Advisory meetings are held weekly via the internet
      and none receive monetary/pecuniary compensation
      for their extensive/capacious/voluminous expertise.

      ===============

      The "E-Mail Newspaper" containing 'Thought & Humor'
      is sent out FREE via e-mail w/o ads. This information
      was sent to you because you made the request, 'Thought
      & Humor' is one small  attempt to obey "The Great Com-
      mission". First published in the last century (July 26, 1997).
                            Soli Deo Gloria...
      ________ "E-Mail Newspaper (Free4u)"  _________
      References gleaned for great humor & information: Merry Heart,
      Thomas S. Elworth, Funny List, MeMail, Daily Dose, Joke of the Day,
      Kim Komando, Shagmail, MIKEY'S FUNNIES , The Daily Tease,
      Crosswalk.com, CLEAN LAFFS & Gophercentral.

      Quoting one is plagiarism; quoting many is research.

      'Thought & Humor'
      respects your privacy and wishes to honor
      your desires to not receive e-mail from us if that's your choice,
      and we apologize if any message causes any inconvenience
      to you or your computer. We have never given any reader's
      e-mail addresses to a third party & have no plans to do such
      unless the price is right:o) (Liberals please note - that was
      humor)  The E-Mail Newspaper is sent to you with love.

      Notice: 'Thought & Humor' uses Norton Antivirus 2004
      for our readers' protection.

      ===============

      A UNC student in tears called her father.
      "What's the matter?" asked the father.
      "You gave me some bad financial advise," she said.
      "I did? What did I tell you?"
      "You told me to put my money in that big bank, and
      now that big bank is in trouble."
      "What are you talking about, that's one of the largest banks
      in the world," he said, "surely there must be some mistake."
      "I don't think so," said the girl, "they just returned one of
      my checks with a note saying, 'Insufficient Funds'."

      ===============

      ***WARNING***WARNING***WARNING***WARNING***
      This material is not suitable for those who are deficient
      in humor
      or thought challenged!!! Do not read any further - you have been
      warned. Preconceived ideas and biases could be endangered.
      A unique blend of the jocular with provocative rumination is just
      ahead for your entertainment!?!        "UNSUBSCRIBE
      information way below.

      (Even UNC students can do it on their PC's built in 1981).

      ===============

      A couple years ago I went to a restaurant with some friends. Above
      the door I noticed a sign that read: "For Sale. 1985 Henway.
      Excellent Condition. Make Offer."

      So I asked the manager, "What's a henway?"

      He said, "Oh, about three to four pounds."

      ===============

      humor.gif (7906 bytes)

      ===============

      AMERICA ARCHIVED
      http://www.archives.gov/
      This government site offers access to historic documents.
      View the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights.

      {Double click on the web address above for additional information:}

      ===============
      ===============

      The hard working staff (Howdy- right) at 'Thought & Humor'...

      ===============
      No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However
      a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
      ===============

      A New Kind of Science?:
      Stephen Wolfram's Challenge
      to Natural Selection

      After earning a Ph.D. from Caltech at age 20, Stephen Wolfram founded
      the corporation that produces MATHEMATICA, the world's leading
      technical mathematics software.

      For nearly ten years, Wolfram has -- by his own description -- been "an
      almost complete recluse." Wolfram became a recluse because he wanted to
      spend time thinking about a problem that science had failed completely
      to explain: the origin of complexity -- the vastly intricate systems,
      especially in biology, which so excite our curiosity.

      Now Wolfram thinks he's found the answer to this puzzle, and he's
      published it in an encyclopedic book, A NEW KIND OF SCIENCE. Almost
      overnight, A NEW KIND OF SCIENCE shot to the top and stayed at the top
      of the Amazon.com rankings.

      Wolfram is convinced that it's only a matter of time before the rest of
      the scientific community grasps that the puzzle of complexity requires
      an entirely new approach. And this is especially the case, Wolfram
      argues, in biology.

      Ask nearly any evolutionary biologist what assembled the human eye, or
      the three billion base pairs of DNA in our genome, and that biologist
      will answer, "Natural selection, of course."

      But Wolfram is not entirely persuaded by this answer. "No clear
      understanding has ever emerged," he writes, "of just why such processes
      should in the end actually lead to much complexity at all." After
      twenty years of studying the problem, Wolfram no longer views natural
      selection as a wonder-working process. "I have increasingly come to
      believe," he argues, "that in fact its power is remarkably limited."

      Does this mean that Wolfram accepts the theory of intelligent design?
      No -- not yet anyway. Although he writes, "Just how complexity arises
      was never really resolved" by Darwinian evolution, and "I have come to
      have some sympathy for the creationists," Wolfram thinks all the
      complexity in nature will arise naturally from simple rules. He
      illustrates this by "cellular automata," pattern-generating systems
      that churn out complexity from a handful of rules. Because cellular
      automata can make complex patterns, Wolfram thinks he's solved the
      complexity puzzle.

      But other scientists are skeptical. Scientist and inventor Ray
      Kurzweil, for example, points out that we aren't interested in
      complexity simply as complexity. The exact pattern of jellybeans in a
      bag of candy is exceedingly complex, but no one really cares to explain
      it. We do want to explain what design theorist Bill Dembski calls "the
      specified complex patterns" -- the patterns that do things.

      On that score, Kurzweil argues, Wolfram's cellular automata fall short.
      "They do not evolve," he says, into "insects, or humans, or Chopin
      preludes, or anything else that we might consider of a higher order of
      complexity." Wolfram's cellular automata, Kurzweil concludes, "are not
      capable of solving interesting problems." To do that, Dembski and other
      design theorists argue, intelligence is absolutely necessary.

      The book, A NEW KIND OF SCIENCE, starts with an important problem:
      Science has not explained the origin of biological complexity.
      Wolfram's solution may fall short, but at least this brilliant man
      acknowledges the immensity of the puzzle. And in time, he may join
      others in seeing that intelligent design means an intelligent Designer.

      Additional reading and resources:

      Stephen Wolfram, A NEW KIND OF SCIENCE (Champaign, IL: Wolfram Media,
      2002). <
      http://www.wolframscience.com>

      William Dembski, SIGNS OF INTELLIGENCE: UNDERSTANDING INTELLIGENT
      DESIGN (Brazos Press, 2001).
      <
      http://www.parable.com/breakpoint/item.asp?sku=1587430045>

      Raymond Kurzweil's review of A NEW KIND OF SCIENCE, available at:
      <
      http://www.kurzweilai.net/articles/art0464.html?printable=1>

      "Is this man bigger than Newton and Darwin?" TELEGRAPH (UK), 15 May
      2002.
      <
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2002/05/
      15/ecfwolf15.xml&sSheet=/connected/2002/05/15/ixconn.htm>

      [To access the articles listed, copy and past the entire web address
      between carats < > into your Internet web browser.]

      "BreakPoint with Chuck Colson" is a daily commentary
      on news and trends from a Christian perspective.
      Heard on more than 1000 radio outlets nationwide,
      BreakPoint transcripts are also available on the Internet.

      BreakPoint is a production of The Wilberforce Forum,
      a division of Prison Fellowship Ministries.

      Chairman: Charles W. Colson
      Dean: Nigel M. de S. Cameron, Ph.D.
      Managing Editor: Jim Tonkowich, D.Min.
      Senior Writer: Anne Morse
      Associate Editor: Roberto Rivera
      Associate Producer: Teresa Woodward
      Wilberforce New Media Editor: Gina Dalfonzo
      List Maintainer: Larry Wilson

      For product requests or further information,

      As you read the Scriptures with your family, I hope
      you'll have a new appreciation for who the "Word made
      flesh" really is:
      He's the Creator who existed before time.
      He's the Logos Who made heaven and earth, and Who
      steers the stars in their courses. He is the Truth that is
      ultimate reality. He is the 'Babe of Bethlehem & the
      'Word' of John 1. If you know of others who would
      enjoy receiving BreakPoint in their E-mail box each
      day, tell them they can sign up on the Web site at
      www.breakpoint.org.
      If they do not have access to
      the World Wide Web, please call 1-800-457-6125.

      ==================
      Great INFO below (click on Web addresses shown -
      some links may have expired since this is from an old issue)
      ==================
       "It is the duty of nations, as well as of men, to
      own their dependence upon the overruling power of God and
      to recognize the sublime truth announced in the Holy Scriptures
      and proven by all history, that those nations only are blessed
      whose God is the Lord."      --Abraham Lincoln
      ==================
      A Short Look at Six World Religions:
      ==================
      Take The Test!!!
      ==================
      If you stop believing what your professor told you
      had to be true and if you start thinking for yourself
      you may come to some conclusions you hadn't
      expected. You may find the Bible makes more
      sense than you thought or were told to think.
      Allow yourself to be ruined, ruined with regard
      to what you always thought could be true. Can
      you believe what you don't understand?You
      and I believe everyday what we don't understand
      unless it comes to the issue to salvation. Dr. Woodrow Kroll
      ==================
      Absolutely no one over 16 admitted:
      http://www.whitsend.org/
      ==================
      To request Our Daily Bread online:
      ==================
      NOT A THREAT: THE CONTRIBUTIONS OF CHRISTIANITY
      TO WESTERN SOCIETY     http://www.probe.org/docs/threat.html
      ==================
      The motto "In God We Trust" was adopted as the US national motto
      by President Dwight Eisenhower.  History of the adoption of "In God
      We Trust":     http://www.ustreas.gov/opc/opc0011.html
      ==================
      Hard Questions - Answered:
      ==================
      Get Your Own FREE Cell Phone and Boogie! - Click Here Now!
      "How to Be Sure You're
      or     1-888-NEED-HIM        (24/7 - free call)
      ==================
      'Boundless Website' for the
      University Crowd: www.boundless.org
      ==================
      ==================
      Covenant vs. Dispensationalism http://www.bible.org/docs/theology/dispen/ct.htm
      ==================
      Christian Web Info: http://www.gospelcom.net
      ==================
      The Berean Call Monthly Newsletter -
      ==================
      Don't be left behind:  http://www.leftbehind.com
      ==================
      Family WWW Protection: http://www.We-Blocker.com
      ==================
      Faith and love are apt to be spasmodic in the best of minds.
      Men and women live on the brink of mysteries and harmonies
      into which they never enter and with their hand on the doorlatch
      they die outside.         GK Chesterton
      ==================
      Trust in yourself and you are doomed to disappointment;
      trust in money and you may have it taken from you;
      but trust in God, and you are never to be confounded in
      time or eternity.                                     - D.L. Moody

      ==================

      {Double click on the web addresses above for additional information:}

      ===============

      *By the grace given me I say to everyone of you:  Do not think
      of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of
      yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of
      faith God has given you.                --Romans 12

      ===============

      A UNC* student took home a library
      book whose spine read "How to Hug"
      only to discover that it was volume
      seven of an encyclopedia.
      ________
      *UNC is the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill.
      Specializing in a wide range of degree programs including:
      B.A. A.H.F.(Advanced Hamburger Flipping), A.P.E., B.S. B.R.C.
      (Bar Room Conversations), etc. Institution w

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)