***Thought & Humor*** - First Published In Last Century - April 8, 2006 A.D.

  • Professor Dr. Howdy
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2006
      Dear Friends,
      I'm back from Spring Break!!!
      Happy Weekend,
      P.S. Hope you enjoyed the April Fool Joke.
      (See BLOG).

      A UNC student had a near death experience when she went
      horseback riding the other day. Everything was going fine until
      the horse started bouncing out of control...

           Updated frequently during the day!!!
      Be sure & read the "Comments" after each blog joke -
      there's more funny stuff & letters from y'all...
      An account executive at a stock-and-bond firm telephoned
      a UNC* grad client who had purchased her first stock - one
      hundred shares of Proctor & Gamble.  He told her that he
      had just heard they were going to split...

      *Permission is hereby granted for you to change all
      humor used in The"E-Mail Newspaper", 'Thought
      & Humor' and its subsidiaries related to the institution
      of lower learning hereby known as UNC to another
      of your choice from the list below:

      1) French university students
      2) Harvard or U.C.-Berkeley
      3) Any accredited high school or middle school
      4) Any Loggerheads & Pundits
      5) Any and all persnickety individuals or nincompoops
      6) Any Chapel Hill, NC Citizen unless same sends an offspring
      to NCSU, JSU, MSU, USC, UGA, or FSU.

      Check out this Blog:

      Updated frequently!!!
      Finding Your
      Way Home
                   Scotty was only four years old, and he was lost in Brooklyn. A police officer spotted
      this little guy standing on a street corner in this huge city, crying. Of course, he tried to help
      the boy by asking him his address, and Scotty didn't know. The officer asked him his phone
      number, and he answered through his tears, "I can't remember." The officer was running out
      of options. He was just about to take the little guy down to the station when he thought of one
      last question: "Little boy, is there anything near your house that I might recognize?" That was
      the moment that little guy discovered the one thing that really helped him finally get home.

            There was one landmark that lost boy was able to identify for the policeman. He said,
      "Mister, next to my house there's this big church, and it's got a big cross on the top. And
      if you can get me to that cross, I can find my way home." So can you - home to the love that
      you've been looking for your whole life; home to the only relationship that will finally fill that
      hole in your heart. And, one day, home to the heaven we all want to go to but that none of us
      deserves. Finding your way home means first "getting to the cross."

          Not long ago, a friend of mine met a thirty-something man on a plane who had left the church
      of his childhood years to embark on a search for spiritual reality. Along the way, there were many
      religions, and many spiritualities, but no satisfaction. Then, he said, "One day I stepped back into
      the church I'd grown up in. I was the only one there. Up in front, I saw the cross that I'd looked at so
      many times as a kid. But suddenly something hit me that I had missed all those years. I found myself
      saying, "For me. That cross was for me." And that's where his long search ended.

          That's where the spiritual search of millions has ended. Looking at that cross, seeing what Jesus did
      there, and suddenly saying those two words that change everything, "for me." Our word for today from
      the Word of God, Galatians 2:20, puts it this way: "Christ loved me and gave Himself for me." For many
      people in recent times, Mel Gibson's portrayal of Jesus' death in his movie, "The Passion of the Christ,"
      revealed the enormity of the suffering and the sacrifice that Jesus went through. And one can understand -
      ably ask, "What made such a bloody, horrific death necessary?" The answer is my sin - your sin.

          Because sin isn't just breaking some religion's rule. It's declaring ourselves "God" of our own life;
      taking a life God made and doing with it what we want. That sin carries the death penalty of an unbearable
      hell - an eternal separation from God. And that's what Jesus was carrying for you in His body and His soul
      as He agonized on that tree. And three days later, He walked out of His grave under His own power. Which
      means you can have, not a religion about Him, but a relationship with Him. If you will make personal what
      He did on that cross by telling Him, "Jesus, I believe that when You died, You were dying for me. I'm putting
      my total trust in you to be my personal rescuer from my personal sin. Beginning right here; beginning right
      now, I am Yours."

          If you're ready to trade your sin for His forgiveness, your emptiness for His peace, and your hell for His
      heaven, I want to invite you to visit our website. I've put together there just a brief explanation that you can
      listen to or read about how to be sure you've begun your personal relationship with Jesus Christ. If you'd
      like for me to send it to you in booklet form, it's called Yours For Life. You can just call and let me know
      that you want it. The number is 877-741-1200*.

          The search of a lifetime ends at the foot of an old rugged cross. And if you can get to the cross, you can
      finally find your way home.                   - -  Ron Hutchcraft
      *Not amalgamated with 'Thought & Humor'.

      I am trying here to prevent anyone from saying the really
      foolish thing that people often say about Him [Jesus Christ]:
      "I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I
      don't accept His claim to be God."

      That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was
      merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would
      not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic --
      on a level with a man who says he is a poached egg --
      or else he would be the Devil of Hell.

      You must make your choice. Either this Man was, and is,
      the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse ....
      You can shut Him up for fool, you can spit at Him and kill
      Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him
      Lord and God. But let us not come up with any patronizing
      nonsense about His being a great hum! an teacher. He has
      not left that option open to us. He did not intend to.

                -- From Case for Christianity, by C.S. Lewis

      Better For All the World?
      Apple-Pie Eugenics

      Before the time she was eight, Vivian Dobbs had both made the honor roll and
      been labeled an "imbecile" by the Supreme Court. The story of how this could
      happen is one of the darkest, most frequently overlooked chapters in
      American history—one that isn't completely closed.

      Vivian's mother was Carrie Buck, and her story is the subject of a new book,
      Better for All the World, by Harry Bruinius. In it, Bruinius tells "the
      secret history of forced sterilization and America's quest for racial

      In 1920, when Carrie was thirteen, her mother was sent to the Virginia
      Colony for Epileptics and the Feeble-Minded. There, Carrie's mother was
      sterilized. Four years later, Carrie herself became pregnant, most likely
      after her foster parents' nephew forced himself upon her. To avoid scandal,
      they had her committed to the Colony as well, where she gave birth to

      The Colony's administrator decided to have Carrie, like her mother,
      sterilized under a Virginia law that authorized the sterilization of the
      "feeble-minded." This decision was appealed to the Supreme Court. And in
      the 1927 Buck v. Bell decision, Oliver Wendell Holmes wrote that "it is better
      for all the world" if "society can prevent those who are manifestly unfit
      from continuing their kind." He concluded his opinion with the words,
      "Three generations of imbeciles are enough."

      Holmes's third generation of "imbeciles" was Vivian, who was no such
      thing—neither, for that matter, was Carrie. As Bruinius documents,
      determinations of "feeblemindedness" and "imbecility" were based
      on little more than pseudo-science and prejudice.

      Yet, as the result of laws like Virginia's, perhaps hundreds of thousands
      were forcibly sterilized.

      As Holmes's use of the term unfit suggests, these laws were an attempt to
      direct human evolution. This attempt to give evolution a hand was based,
      fittingly enough, on the theories of Charles Darwin's cousin, Francis

      Galton, like many of his fellow Victorian elites, was troubled by
      demographic trends in nineteenth-century Britain. In his view, the "wrong
      kind" of people were having the most children. If these trends continued,
      the consequences for what he and others called the "British race" would be

      His response was what he called eugenics, coming from the Greek word
      for "well born." He, like his cousin, reasoned that man, in most important
      respects, was just another animal. And just as human beings direct the
      breeding of livestock, they can direct the breeding of their "race," as

      In Galton's case, that direction took the form of encouraging the "fittest"
      to marry and have children. In the United States, eugenics took the form of
      preventing those deemed "unfit"—like Vivian's mother and grandmother—from
      reproducing. But in their quest for "racial purity," they went beyond forced
      sterilization and ended up with blood on their hands. That story, including
      their influence on Hitler's Third Reich, is the subject of tomorrow's
      "BreakPoint." It's a story whose final chapter is far from written, so
      please read "BreakPoint" tomorrow.

      Deadly Exports
      Better for All the World?

      Yesterday, I told you the story of how Darwinism, mixed with pseudo-science
      and prejudice, resulted in the forcible sterilization of countless Americans.
      But the impact of the American eugenics movement was felt far beyond
      the United States, with horrifying results.

      In his new book, Better for All the World, Harry Bruinius tells how America
      became the "guiding light" of the eugenics movement.

      While the eugenicists' preferred instrument was mass sterilization, that was
      not the only tool in their demonic toolkit. They also advocated segregation
      of the "unfit" and even euthanasia.

      If these last two sound familiar, that's because, as Bruinius tells us, what
      the Germans called "racial hygiene" was based on American efforts. While
      serving time in Landsberg prison in the 1920s, Adolf Hitler read The Passing
      of the Great Race by American eugenicist Madison Grant and called it "my

      After the Nazis came to power, they naturally looked to the United States as
      a model. The Nazi sterilization law explicitly cited a similar California
      statute. The Nazis, who were not restrained by what Grant called "mistaken"
      and "sentimental" beliefs in "divine law" and "the sanctity of human life,"
      soon surpassed their American teachers. This prompted one American
      eugenicist to admiringly proclaim, "The Germans are beating us at our own

      It was not until the defeat of Germany and the full horror of the Nazi
      eugenic program and medical experiments became widely known that eugenics
      became discredited. Actually, it was the expression eugenics, more than the
      idea itself, that was discredited. While overtly racist eugenics is hopefully
      a thing of the past, what we might call the "eugenic temptation" is very
      much alive and well.

      For instance, women seeking donor insemination are practicing a kind of
      eugenics. In seeking donors who meet certain physical and intellectual
      criteria, they are following in the footsteps of Francis Galton, Darwin's
      cousin, and the father of modern eugenics.

      The more obvious contemporary example of "directing human evolution" -
      what Christians call "playing God"—is biotechnology. As philosopher Peter
      Augustine Lawler has written, biotechnology is about more than "the
      eradication of some particularly horrible diseases such as Alzheimer's."
      It's about the reinvention of what it means to be human.

      Specifically, what's being promised is a world where those who are
      considered "unfit" never are born and, thus, never are a burden on the rest
      of us. Whether we admit or not, we still seek the improvement of the "race"
      by identifying those who carry "undesirable" traits and preventing their

      What we are doing to babies with Down syndrome, who have been "targeted for
      elimination" by doctors, governments, and insurance companies, is only the
      beginning. The more we learn about the genetic basis of "undesirable"
      traits, the longer the list of those we "target."

      The only thing standing in the way of this are the same people who stood in
      the way of the old eugenics: Christians. As Bruinius tells us, it was
      Christians, people like Billy Sunday and William Jennings Bryan, who led the
      opposition to eugenics in the United States. And in Britain, it was G. K.
      Chesterton, the great writer.

      If the "new eugenics" is to be stopped, it's because today's believers in
      "divine law" and the "sanctity of human life" are prepared to join this
      distinguished company.
             BREAKPOINT with Charles Colson & Mark Earley

      Not amalgamated with 'Thought & Humor'.
      Subscribe:  Get your friends to join the fun
      From Sea
      To Sea

      Many Christians do not really understand the Christian worldview.  Many
      do not know the historic biblical plotline and how it all relates.  While
      recognizing they have a relationship with God through Christ, many are
      unsure as to why this salvation is a universal truth and necessity for
      all.  Many are even unsure as to how their present relationship with
      Christ relates to history and the future.  All this leads to a profound
      doubt and lack of confidence with respect to the evangelistic task.  Why
      would we share the good news if we cannot fully articulate why it is good?

      The plotline and great story of Scripture places the gospel of Christ in
      its overall context, making it intelligible, meaningful, and compelling.
      The biblical view of history is paradise lost to paradise regained in the
      eternal plan of God.  The good news of salvation is necessary for all
      because there is, indeed, bad news.  Something is very wrong!  We need
      Christ and his sacrificial death to redeem us from the curse and restore
      humanity to himself.  It is a story worth telling.

      As we recover biblical literacy in the church and the consequent
      appreciation of the Christian worldview Christians themselves will have a
      coherent and compelling comprehension of the message they will want to
      share.  And when our message is both coherent and compelling,
      non-believers who find Christianity something of a mystery will begin to
      grasp what it is these "proclaimers of strange divinities" (Acts 17) are
      talking about.

      True evangelism is a comprehensible communication and announcement
      of the dramatic action and rule of God in history culminating in the advent
      of Christ, his life, death, and resurrection.  This does not mean that
      friendship, social action, literature, and the arts do not greatly
      contribute to people's receptivity to the gospel--they do.  Our call is to
      be living letters devoted to an evangelistic lifestyle.  But without this
      clear explanation and declaration, our task is incomplete.  This is why I
      believe that apologetics--giving a reasoned defense and justification for
      belief--is inseparable from evangelism itself.

      Of course, to share the faith can be intimidating at times, especially
      with friends and family.  But there is perhaps nothing more wonderful or
      joyous in the Christian life than having the opportunity to lead someone
      to faith in Christ as we are co-workers with the Holy Spirit in his
      miraculous activity. Just to be a link in the chain of a person's journey
      to faith is one of the greatest privileges afforded to us.

      People need meaningful friendship, but above all they need Christ.  Why
      not begin praying for two or three people, that God would bring them to
      faith and use you in the process?  Why not take the opportunity this year
      to begin to step out in a new God-given confidence in sharing your faith?
      If you have no sphere of influence, pray that God will bring you one.  Last
      year I joined a local soccer league and invested in relationships with my
      neighbors in order to build more relationships with those lost and without
      Christ in this world.  I am constantly amazed by the work God is doing in
      every heart to draw people to himself, and how open people can be to
      hearing about the hope that is in us.

      As we find our identity and confidence in Christ, put our faith in the
      truth of his Word, grow in our knowledge, and depend on the Holy Spirit
      for his enabling, we can be confident that God will grant us success.  Let
      us remember that God is love and He sent his Son into the world to seek and
      save the lost.  He has a vested interest.  And let us look to God that He
      would move again from sea to sea.

      Joe Boot is executive director of Ravi Zacharias International
      Ministries in Canada.

      "A Slice of Infinity" is aimed at reaching into the culture with words of
      challenge, words of truth, and words of hope. If you know of others who
      would enjoy receiving "A Slice of Infinity" in their email box each day,
      tell them to
      ple! ase call 1-877-88SLICE (1-877-887-5423).
      "Let every student be plainly instructed and earnestly pressed to consider
      well the main end of his life and studies is to know God and Jesus Christ
      which is eternal life (John 17:3)."
         - - - The Laws and Statutes of Harvard College in 1643

       "All scholars shall live religious, godly, and blameless lives according
      to the rules of God's Word, diligently reading the Holy Scriptures, the
      fountain of light and truth; and constantly attend upon all the duties
      of religion, both in public and secret."
       - - - Two central requirements in Yale College 1745 charter
      The Roman emperor Diocletian, following an edict in 303 A.D.,
      failed to stamp the Bible out.  The French Revolution could not
      crush it with secular philosophy (Rousseau, one of its heroes,
      converted to Christianity).  The Communists failed to stamp it
      out with atheism and political ideology.  One might well ask why
      this book has been banned, burned, and bludgeoned with such
      animosity and scorn.  The great Reformation hero John Calvin
      responds in this way: "Whenever people slander God's word,
      they show they feel within its power, however unwillingly or
      reluctantly."            - Joe Boot

         (Not amalgamated with 'Thought & Humor')

      'Thought & Humor' -  often polemical but
      never tasteless/unrefined/uncouth/ribald.
      Please note: If you see a UNC student or liberal reading 'Thought & Humor',
      please explain to them which is thought & which is humor. They usually get it backwards.......

      God designed humans to want to believe in something.
      That's the image of God that is in us. But as G. K.
      Chesterton famously put it, when we reject the God
      of the Bible, we don't believe in nothing; we believe
      in everything -- including Little Green Men.
                   - - Chuck Colson
      Dear Howdy,
      Thank you for your simply addicting newsletter...it's truly a candidate
      for the 8th wonder of the world and 1st candidate for the cyber-world...
      it just keeps blooming with more of what I need and, I think, what we
      all need...please keep up the great works!!!
      Type atcha later...
      God bless you,
      Phil H
      It is He who sits above the circle of the earth,
      And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers,
      Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain,
      And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.
        - - Isa 40:22
      Biblical Authority: Must We Accept The Words Of Scripture?

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)