***Thought & Humor*** - Happy New Year!!! - January 2, 2006 A.D. - Please forward to your friends...

  • Professor Ludicrous
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2006
      A man approached a UNC student in Chapel Hill & asked,
      "What's the quickest way to Raleigh?"

               Updated frequently during the day!!!

      The UNC student came running into the store and said
      to his friend, "Bubba, somebody just stole your pickup
      truck from the parking lot!"

                         Don't miss this Movie!!!
                         Wednesday I saw the "The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe"
                         with family. It is unbelievably well made & entertaining and true
                         to the book by C.S. Lewis. As well done as "The Ring Trilogy"
                         by Tolkien if not better!!!          - - Howdy

      Check out this Blog:

      Updated frequently!!!
      When "Later"
      Never Comes
            It was before Christmas, and I went shopping for toys for my kids. Now you might
      not think there's anything unusual about that - unless you happen to know that all my
      kids are all grown up now. But that doesn't mean they can't have one little spark of
      childhood left in them. For example, I always buy my daughter a doll for Christmas;
      always have, always will. And we've got one son who was always a big fan of a certain
      Sesame Street character, and he still has a collection of everything Ernie. But recently
      a certain Ernie toy was one of the hottest Christmas items on the market. I wanted one
      for my son, the Ernie enthusiast, that is. I discovered the toy in September actually in
      a store - before it became an officially hot item. I held it in my hand - I could have
      bought it. But I said, "Naw, I can always get it later." Wrong. When "later" came, there
      were none to be found.

           When it's a toy you miss because you waited - no big deal. When it's God you miss,
      when it's eternity in heaven you miss, that's huge.

          Our word for today from the Word of God comes from 2 Corinthians 6:2. God says,
      "In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you." God
      says there's a time of His favor; a day of His salvation. And that's when you have to
      grab Him. Then He clearly spells out the time to respond to Him. God's Word says,
      "I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation."

          When God talks about salvation, He's talking about rescuing us from the death
      sentence that we are all headed for because of our sin, which is the self-rule of our
      life. A life that was created to be run by our Creator. This "salvation" came at a very
      high price for God. Someone had to die as your substitute, paying for your sin.

          The only someone who was qualified to pay that awful price was God's one and
      only Son. That is Jesus Christ. So, believe me, it really matters to God what you do
      with His Son. The only response that can change a person's eternal address from
      hell to heaven is putting your total trust in Jesus as your only hope of belonging
      to God; of being with God forever.

          But so many of us are like I was the day I held the purchase I wanted in my hand.
      We decide to put off - make it ours later. I chose to get it later, but later was too late.
      It was no longer available to me. That's the awful risk you take when you put off Jesus
      one more day.

          Maybe you've been around the message of Jesus a lot. Maybe most folks think you
      belong to Him. But deep in your heart, you know there's never been a time when you've
      really committed yourself to Him. It could be you've said, "I will give myself to Jesus -
      when I'm ready."

          You need to hear the words of Jesus recorded in John 6:44, "No one can come to me
      unless the Father ... draws him." You don't come to Jesus when you're ready. You come
      when God's ready. It's God who makes you ready to trust Jesus. If you feel that tug in
      your heart right now, this is the only time you can be sure God is readying you to come.
      There are no guarantees of one more opportunity. That's why the Bible says, "Seek the
      Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near" (Isaiah 55:6). He may not
      always be findable. He may not ever be this close again.

          If you have never said "yes" to Jesus, turning from your sin, pinning all your hopes
      on Him, please would you do it now? If you want to begin this relationship with Him,
      then I would encourage you to go to our website where you can either listen to or you
      can read what I have there about how to begin your personal relationship with Jesus
      Christ. Or if you'd like for me to send you a printed version of my little booklet Yours
      For Life that covers that same information, you can call toll free at 870-741-1200.*

          Saying "later" to God's Son is eternally dangerous, because God says the day of
      salvation is now. It's almost yours now. But later - later may be forever too late.
                                                       - -  Ron Hutchcraft
      *Not amalgamated with 'Thought & Humor'.

      I am trying here to prevent anyone from saying the really
      foolish thing that people often say about Him [Jesus Christ]:
      "I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I
      don't accept His claim to be God."

      That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was
      merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would
      not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic --
      on a level with a man who says he is a poached egg --
      or else he would be the Devil of Hell.

      You must make your choice. Either this Man was, and is,
      the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse ....
      You can shut Him up for fool, you can spit at Him and kill
      Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him
      Lord and God. But let us not come up with any patronizing
      nonsense about His being a great hum! an teacher. He has
      not left that option open to us. He did not intend to.

                -- From Case for Christianity, by C.S. Lewis

      The Sad Case
      of Madalyn
      Murray O'Hair

      Why would anyone deliberately turn his or her back on the truth?

      I found myself asking this question many years ago, after an encounter with
      America's most famous atheist, Madalyn Murray O'Hair -- a story that I tell in
      my new book, THE GOOD LIFE. You probably will recall that it was O'Hair who
      brought the court case that eliminated official public school prayers in 1963.

      Mrs. O'Hair and I had been invited to debate the topic of Christianity on David
      Frost's NBC variety program. I was aware that she knew the subject well, because
      she graduated from an evangelical college, and she had a close knowledge of the
      Scriptures. So I decided it would be a good idea to take my Bible with me. It
      proved handy when Mrs. O'Hair claimed that the Bible "is a brutal, horrible

      I held out my Bible and asked her to read to us the passages she was talking
      about. She backed away as if I held a weapon. All that she would say was, "It's
      full of hate and murder," even though her refusal to defend her views clearly
      cost her the sympathy of Frost and the audience.

      After the debate, I approached Mrs. O'Hair to tell her that I, like many other
      Christians, was praying that she would find the truth. She retorted, "Well, I
      don't pray, but if I did, I'd pray that you will lose. You will lose, Mr.
      Colson. You will fail."

      The whole experience left me with the impression of an angry, bitter woman. But
      I found it interesting that she couldn't just leave me alone to what she thought
      was my superstition, or even laugh my views off. My conclusion was that Mrs.
      O'Hair couldn't leave me alone because she really did know the truth and had
      turned her back on it.

      Sadly, the story of Madalyn Murray O'Hair's last days illustrates what can
      happen when someone deliberately rejects the truth. You may recall that O'Hair
      and her son and granddaughter were abducted and killed by one of their former

      When the family first disappeared, many of those who knew them suspected
      that they were going into hiding to live off illegally funded foreign accounts.
      O'Hair's crooked financial habits were well-known to several of her closest
      associates. She had surrounded herself with an atmosphere of secrecy and
      suspicion for so long that few were surprised or concerned by her disappearance.
      The police did little; the organization she had started carried on as usual.
      Even after her son eventually filed a missing-persons report, it was years
      before the dismembered bodies of the Murray-O'Hair family were discovered.

      Am I saying that all atheists are doomed to be murdered? No, of course not.
      What I am saying is that Madalyn Murray O'Hair's willful defiance of God, and
      her often-mentioned contempt for her fellow human beings, translated into an
      abrasive manner and a criminal lifestyle that turned people against her and, in
      the end, caused her gruesome death.

      Madalyn Murray O'Hair once said, "I hope I live my life in such a manner that
      when I die, someone cares." Tragically, her own rebellious, selfish will led her
      to a very different fate. The lesson? It is sin to reject the truth, and when
      you do, you become yourself the very thing that blocks the truth -- that is,
           BREAKPOINT with Charles Colson

      Doors Of
      The Future
      While thoughts and resolutions for the year ahead are crossing many of
      our minds, Matt Sly is thinking 30 years into the future.  Sly is the mind
      behind a website that allows people to send messages to themselves decades
      from the time they were written.  In the year 2015, a man named "Adam"
      is set to get an e-mail that asks, "Do you still write?  Do you still draw?
      Does Radio Shack still exist?"  Writes Sly, "We want people to think about
      their future and what their goals and dreams and hopes and fears are.
      We're trying to facilitate some serious existential pondering."

      A quick overview of publicly posted messages shows some are pondering
      dreams they hope to have accomplished by the time they hear from
      themselves in the future-"I hope you are moving up in your job. I also
      hope you are making more responsible choices."  Others are taking it as
      a moment to remind themselves what they were up to years earlier or make
      record of what they hope will be beyond them in the future-"I hope you're
      better, because as I'm writing this letter, you're doing terrible."  It is
      a time capsule wrought in an e-mail, readily drawing in participants all
      over the world.  At the very least, it extracts in many a sense of
      intrigue.  At most, sending words to future selves seems to draw a sense
      of nostalgia, accountability, apprehension, or hope.

      I have a journal that largely holds thoughts and events consumed with
      present days.  I find I am most prone to write in it when something is
      happening or has just happened, when something is on my mind or on my
      heart now.  But there is one page far in the back that differentiates from the
      norm.  Scattered sentences now crammed on a page full of thoughts speak
      to days far ahead of me:  "Remember that you wanted to be the kind of woman
      that grows old gracefully."  "When it's time to let go of certain freedoms, take
      it with poise."  "When it's your turn to face disease, you wanted to do it with
      faith; you wanted death never to scare you more than resurrection gives you
      hope." While I like to think of these mental notes as prayers for the future-and
      many of them are-among them are notes that more closely resemble a listing
      of fears, an anxious warning at what I might forget or what might go wrong.
      Though I am looking ahead, it is as if I am still looking behind me.

      In an essay titled "Please Shut This Gate" English author F.W. Boreham
      describes signs carefully placed by landowners throughout the landscape of
      New Zealand.  "Please shut this gate," was a message one could read often
      throughout his countryside, signs placed by fence owners intent on keeping
      some things from wandering away-and some things from wandering in.

      Boreham then draws a parallel to the importance of shutting similar gates
      in our own lives, closing the door that keeps things both in and out.  He
      writes, "[W]hen Israel escaped from Babylon, and dreaded a similar attack
      from behind, the voice divine again reassured them. 'I, the Lord thy God,
      will be thy rearguard' (Isaiah 58:8).  There are thousands of things
      behind me of which I have good reason to be afraid; but it is the glory of
      the Christian evangel that all the gates may be closed.  It is grand to be
      able to walk in green pastures and beside still waters unafraid of
      anything that I have left in the perilous fields behind me." (1)

      Whether looking down roads to the New Year or the coming decades,
      it is the glory of the follower of Christ that there are gates that may be
      closed.  We need not worry about the future, nor look to resolutions
      with fear of failing, or tremble at what Christ has put behind us.  In the
      words of a seventeenth century Puritan, "To suppose that whatever God
      requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the
      Cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect."  Christ has written a
      message across the future to be delivered to our laboring souls each new
      day.  In a loud voice he cried out on the Cross, "It is finished," forever
      offering a door to shut, forever promising the strength to shut it.  He has
      gone before us, he walks among us, he is our rearguard, he is our
           Jill Carattini

      (1) F.W. Boreham, "Please Shut This Gate," in The Silver Shadow
      (New York: The Abingdon Press, 1919), 118-119.

                 Jill Carattini

      "A Slice of Infinity" is aimed at reaching into the culture with words of
      challenge, words of truth, and words of hope. If you know of others who
      would enjoy receiving "A Slice of Infinity" in their email box each day,
      tell them to
      ple! ase call 1-877-88SLICE (1-877-887-5423).

      "Let every student be plainly instructed and earnestly pressed to consider
      well the main end of his life and studies is to know God and Jesus Christ
      which is eternal life (John 17:3)."
         - - - The Laws and Statutes of Harvard College in 1643

       "All scholars shall live religious, godly, and blameless lives according
      to the rules of God's Word, diligently reading the Holy Scriptures, the
      fountain of light and truth; and constantly attend upon all the duties
      of religion, both in public and secret."
       - - - Two central requirements in Yale College 1745 charter

         (Not amalgamated with 'Thought & Humor')

      This government site offers access to historic documents.
      View the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights.
      'Thought & Humor' -  often polemical but
      never tasteless/unrefined/uncouth/ribald.
      Please note: If you see a UNC student or liberal reading 'Thought & Humor',
      please explain to them which is thought & which is humor. They usually get it backwards.......

      God designed humans to want to believe in something.
      That's the image of God that is in us. But as G. K.
      Chesterton famously put it, when we reject the God
      of the Bible, we don't believe in nothing; we believe
      in everything -- including Little Green Men.
                   - - Chuck Colson
      Dear Howdy,
      Thank you for your simply addicting newsletter...it's truly a candidate
      for the 8th wonder of the world and 1st candidate for the cyber-world...
      it just keeps blooming with more of what I need and, I think, what we
      all need...please keep up the great works!!!
      Type atcha later...
      God bless you,
      Phil H
      [God] has showed you, O man, what is good.
      And what does the Lord require of you? To
      act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly
      with your God.  --Micah 6:8
      Dear Howdy, Indeed I am a faithful Tarheel*, having both
      MA and Ph.D. from their fine chemistry department.
      But that doesn't keep me from getting a great kick out
      of the humor propagated by what appears to me to be
      a pack of wolves!!**

      sent to me by a friend,  so I really didn't "hear about
      you" at all, and still haven't. All I know is what has
      come in the two issues of the Newsletter I have
      seen. The best to you.

      S. P.

      *Another name for UNC.
      ** UNC's archrival - NCSU.

      "I believe the Bible is the best gift God has ever given to man.
      All the good from the Savior of the world is communicated to
      us through this book."        -- President Abraham Lincoln

      "For we must consider that we shall be as a City upon a hill.
      The eyes of all people are upon us.  So that if we shall deal
      falsely with our God in this work we have undertaken, and
      so cause Him to withdraw! his present help from us, we
      shall be made a story and a byword throughout the world."
      --John Winthrop, Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, 1630
      "It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and
      the Bible." - President George Washington

      "The Bible is no mere book, but a Living Creature, with a
      power that
      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)