Re: [UMNLAW2009] Digest Number 74

  • Kari Rudd
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2006

      Is anyone looking at getting any private loans? I asked Sallie Mae if I could take out Grad PLUS loans on top of my maxed-out stafford loans and she said that I couldn't because the Grad PLUS only covers "educational expenses" beyond the amount of your stafford and that doesn't include books, room and board, etc. My budget for the year is about 11,000 short and I'm trying to figure out what the best options are. Does anyone have any suggestions of loans that they are looking at?
      -Kari

      P.S. Veronica, I am living in Saint Paul right now and into the forseeable future, and I will try and make it Brits on the 19th.

      On 4 Aug 2006 09:09:31 -0000, UMNLAW2009@yahoogroups.com <UMNLAW2009@yahoogroups.com
      > wrote:

      Messages In This Digest (2 Messages)

      1.
      Re: Book Costs and Grad PLUS loan From: nearlysurfacing
      2.
      two weeks! From: nearlysurfacing

      Messages

      1.

      Re: Book Costs and Grad PLUS loan

      Posted by: "nearlysurfacing" vw@...   nearlysurfacing

      Thu Aug 3, 2006 11:10 pm (PST)

      i'm going with the grad plus loan, for the reasons previously stated.
      when i worked out my 12 mo budget, it turns out i'll be spending more
      than the university gives for its budget... we'll have to see where
      that comes from!!

      2.

      two weeks!

      Posted by: "nearlysurfacing" vw@...   nearlysurfacing

      Thu Aug 3, 2006 11:13 pm (PST)

      since it's after midnight, i'll be in mpls in exactly 2 weeks (8/18)

      roll call... who's already there and when is everyone else getting
      there? paste this into your message and add your name at the bottom
      so we can all see who SHOULD be going to that one thing 8/19 so we can
      all figure out who we are and not be completely lost at orientation. ;)

      Veronica - 8/18

      Yahoo! Avatars

      Express Yourself

      Show your face in

      Messenger & more.

      Y! Messenger

      Instant smiles

      Share photos while

      you IM friends.

      Yahoo! Mail

      Drag & drop

      With the all-new

      Yahoo! Mail Beta

      Need to Reply?

    • James Coyne
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2006
        Kari,

        Double check the graduate PLUS loans. I called and spoke to someone in the office (Mark I think but don't hold me to that) and within twenty minutes he had added the Grad Plus loans to cover the rest of my expenses, (being out of state it is a considerable amount). I am getting 100% of my loans from federal loan programs. I think as long as you are borrowing within the complete estimated expenses given by the school you can still get the Grad PLUS loan.

        Jim

        Posted by: "nearlysurfacing" vw@eatingbluecrayon s.com   nearlysurfacing

[...]

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • jennalelv
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2006
          I tried going with Wachovia for the GradPLUS, but since Minnesota is
          a direct lender, a student cannot use any other "private" funding for
          GradPLUS loans. The 7.9% rate seems incredibly competitive compared
          to any private loans that I have seen. When I went to the sites
          listed on the umn private loan list. It seemed as though the best
          rates were 8% and variable. Rates do not seem to be declining any
          time soon, so the fixed gov't seems the best (despite the 4/2.5% fee)

          <UMNLAW2009@yahoogroups.com > wrote: UMNLAW2009
          > Messages In This Digest (2 Messages)
          > 1.
          > Re: Book Costs and Grad PLUS loan From: nearlysurfacing
          > 2.
          > two weeks! From: nearlysurfacing
          > View All Topics | Create New Topic
          > Messages
          > 1.
          > Re: Book Costs and Grad PLUS loan Posted
          by: "nearlysurfacing" vw@... nearlysurfacing Thu Aug 3, 2006
          11:10 pm (PST) i'm going with the grad plus loan, for the reasons
          previously stated.
          > when i worked out my 12 mo budget, it turns out i'll be spending
          more
          > than the university gives for its budget... we'll have to see where
          > that comes from!!
          >

          > Back to top
          > Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post
          > Messages in this topic (5)
          >
          > 2.
          > two weeks! Posted by: "nearlysurfacing" vw@...
          nearlysurfacing Thu Aug 3, 2006 11:13 pm (PST) since it's after
          midnight, i'll be in mpls in exactly 2 weeks (8/18)

          > roll call... who's already there and when is everyone else getting
          > there? paste this into your message and add your name at the bottom
          > so we can all see who SHOULD be going to that one thing 8/19 so we
          can
          > all figure out who we are and not be completely lost at
          orientation. ;)

          > Veronica - 8/18
          >

          > Back to top
          > Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post
          > Messages in this topic (1)
          >

          > Recent Activity
          >
          > 3
          > New Members
          >
          > Visit Your Group
          >
          > Colleges and universities
          > Law school
          > School education
          > College and university in tennessee
          > College and university search
          >
          > Yahoo! Avatars
          > Express Yourself
          > Show your face in
          > Messenger & more.
          >
          > Y! Messenger
          > Instant smiles
          > Share photos while
          > you IM friends.
          >
          > Yahoo! Mail
          > Drag & drop
          > With the all-new
          > Yahoo! Mail Beta
          >

          > Need to Reply?
          > Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message
          in the Daily Digest.

          > Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Members |
          Calendar

          > You are receiving a Daily Digest Change Delivery Settings

        • mkay360
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 2006
            From what I understand, the GradPlus loan can be used up to what the
            school budgeted for the Estimated Cost of Attendance(this includes
            all the fees and housing: http://www.law.umn.edu/current/fin-
            aid.htm ).

            If you need more than that amount (47,100 for non resident and 36,160
            for resident) you will have to apply for general private loans.

            This is what I got from it anyway. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

            --- In UMNLAW2009@yahoogroups.com, "Kari Rudd" <rudd.kari@...> wrote:

            > Is anyone looking at getting any private loans? I asked Sallie Mae
            if I
            > could take out Grad PLUS loans on top of my maxed-out stafford
            loans and she
            > said that I couldn't because the Grad PLUS only covers "educational
            > expenses" beyond the amount of your stafford and that doesn't
            include books,
            > room and board, etc. My budget for the year is about 11,000 short
            and I'm
            > trying to figure out what the best options are. Does anyone have any
            > suggestions of loans that they are looking at?
            > -Kari
            >
            > P.S. Veronica, I am living in Saint Paul right now and into the
            forseeable
            > future, and I will try and make it Brits on the 19th.
            >

            > On 4 Aug 2006 09:09:31 -0000, UMNLAW2009@yahoogroups.com <
            > UMNLAW2009@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            > >
            > > UMNLAW2009

            3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYwNQRzZWMDaGRyBHNsa
            wNocGgEc3RpbWUDMTE1NDY4MjU3MQ-->
            > > Messages In This Digest (2 Messages) 1. Re: Book Costs and Grad
            PLUS
            > > loan<http://mail.google.com/mail/?
            view=page&name=gp&ver=3403410b768567d8#10cd871ef96f1498_1>From:
            nearlysurfacing 2.
            > > two weeks!<http://mail.google.com/mail/?
            view=page&name=gp&ver=3403410b768567d8#10cd871ef96f1498_2>From:
            nearlysurfacing
            > > View All
            Topics<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UMNLAW2009/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJn
            OGs4MGw1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYwNQ
            RzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDYXRwYwRzdGltZQMxMTU0NjgyNTcx?xm=1&m=p&tidx=1>|
            Create
            > > New
            Topic<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UMNLAW2009/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJnOWM5c
            mNmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYwNQRzZWM
            DZG1zZwRzbGsDbnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMTU0NjgyNTcx>
            > > Messages 1. Re: Book Costs and Grad PLUS loan

            rODcyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYwNQRtc
            2dJZAMzMzkEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Ztc2cEc3RpbWUDMTE1NDY4MjU3MQ--> Posted
            > > by: "nearlysurfacing" vw@...
            > > <vw@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20Book%20Costs%20and%20Grad%20PLUS%20loan>
            > > nearlysurfacing <http://profiles.yahoo.com/nearlysurfacing> Thu
            > > Aug 3, 2006 11:10 pm (PST) i'm going with the grad plus loan, for
            the
            > > reasons previously stated.
            > > when i worked out my 12 mo budget, it turns out i'll be spending
            more
            > > than the university gives for its budget... we'll have to see
            where
            > > that comes from!!
            > >

            > > Back to top
            > > <http://mail.google.com/mail/?
            view=page&name=gp&ver=3403410b768567d8#10cd871ef96f1498_toc>
            > > Reply to sender
            > > <vw@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20Book%20Costs%20and%20Grad%20PLUS%20loan>|
            > > Reply to group
            > > <UMNLAW2009@yahoogroups.com?Subject=+Re%3A%20Book%20Costs%20and%
            20Grad%20PLUS%20loan>|

            9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYwNQRtc2dJZAMz
            MzkEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTE1NDY4MjU3MQ--?
            act=reply&messageNum=339>
            > > Messages in this topic

            nc3FzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYwNQRtc
            2dJZAMzMzkEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE1NDY4MjU3MQR0cGNJZAMzMjI
            ->(5)

            > > 2. two weeks!

            qcnQxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYwNQRtc
            2dJZAMzNDAEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Ztc2cEc3RpbWUDMTE1NDY4MjU3MQ--> Posted
            > > by: "nearlysurfacing" vw@...
            > > <vw@...?Subject=Re:+two%20weeks%21> nearlysurfacing
            > > <http://profiles.yahoo.com/nearlysurfacing> Thu Aug 3, 2006 11:13
            pm (PST)
            > > since it's after midnight, i'll be in mpls in exactly 2 weeks
            (8/18)

            > > roll call... who's already there and when is everyone else getting
            > > there? paste this into your message and add your name at the
            bottom
            > > so we can all see who SHOULD be going to that one thing 8/19 so
            we can
            > > all figure out who we are and not be completely lost at
            orientation. ;)

            > > Veronica - 8/18
            > >

            > > Back to top
            > > <http://mail.google.com/mail/?
            view=page&name=gp&ver=3403410b768567d8#10cd871ef96f1498_toc>
            > > Reply to sender <vw@...?Subject=Re:+two%20weeks%21>| Reply
            > > to group <UMNLAW2009@yahoogroups.com?Subject=Re:+two%20weeks%21>|
            > > web post

            9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYwNQRtc2dJZAMz
            NDAEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTE1NDY4MjU3MQ--?
            act=reply&messageNum=340>
            > > Messages in this topic

            ybTFhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYwNQRtc
            2dJZAMzNDAEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE1NDY4MjU3MQR0cGNJZAMzNDA
            ->(1)

            > > Recent Activity
            > >
            > > - 3
            > > New
            Members<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UMNLAW2009/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJn
            aWlwZ2h0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYwNQ
            RzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxMTU0NjgyNTcx>

            > > Visit Your Group

            3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYwNQRzZWMDdnRsBHNsa
            wN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzExNTQ2ODI1NzE->

            > > - Colleges and
            universities<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJkaDNqNGJpBF9TAzk
            3MzU5NzE1BF9wAzEEZ3JwSWQDMTcxNzE1MTIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDc5NjA1BHNlYwNzb
            G1vZARzdGltZQMxMTU0NjgyNTcx?
            t=ms&k=Colleges+and+universities&w1=Colleges+and+universities&w2=Law+s
            chool&w3=School+education&w4=College+and+university+in+tennessee&w5=Co
            llege+and+university+search&c=5&s=145&g=3&.sig=E8AH0oNmthX-r2wmX57I3A>
            > > - Law
            school<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJkOGFjMnNzBF9TAzk3MzU5N
            zE1BF9wAzIEZ3JwSWQDMTcxNzE1MTIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDc5NjA1BHNlYwNzbG1vZAR
            zdGltZQMxMTU0NjgyNTcx?
            t=ms&k=Law+school&w1=Colleges+and+universities&w2=Law+school&w3=School
            +education&w4=College+and+university+in+tennessee&w5=College+and+unive
            rsity+search&c=5&s=145&g=3&.sig=RcQN2mSt4mJkMMsppgPL0A>
            > > - School
            education<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJkZW1uaDIwBF9TAzk3Mz
            U5NzE1BF9wAzMEZ3JwSWQDMTcxNzE1MTIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDc5NjA1BHNlYwNzbG1v
            ZARzdGltZQMxMTU0NjgyNTcx?
            t=ms&k=School+education&w1=Colleges+and+universities&w2=Law+school&w3=
            School+education&w4=College+and+university+in+tennessee&w5=College+and
            +university+search&c=5&s=145&g=3&.sig=8olDSSyNeNZyoFCM01OlFQ>
            > > - College and university in
            tennessee<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJkdXNkZzEzBF9TAzk3Mz
            U5NzE1BF9wAzQEZ3JwSWQDMTcxNzE1MTIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDc5NjA1BHNlYwNzbG1v
            ZARzdGltZQMxMTU0NjgyNTcx?
            t=ms&k=College+and+university+in+tennessee&w1=Colleges+and+universitie
            s&w2=Law+school&w3=School+education&w4=College+and+university+in+tenne
            ssee&w5=College+and+university+search&c=5&s=145&g=3&.sig=JQdbbCfjhBnaS
            NaeRtsQ5g>
            > > - College and university
            search<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJkcmR2ZDVuBF9TAzk3MzU5N
            zE1BF9wAzUEZ3JwSWQDMTcxNzE1MTIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwMDc5NjA1BHNlYwNzbG1vZAR
            zdGltZQMxMTU0NjgyNTcx?
            t=ms&k=College+and+university+search&w1=Colleges+and+universities&w2=L
            aw+school&w3=School+education&w4=College+and+university+in+tennessee&w
            5=College+and+university+search&c=5&s=145&g=3&.sig=kUm4GSiES0dBtcVT0aH
            J9A>

            > > Yahoo! Avatars
            > >
            > > Express
            Yourself<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hsjesgk/M=493064.8985652.976065
            2.8674578/D=groups/S=1705079605:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1154689771/A=3848516/R=
            0/SIG=10qidb854/*http://avatars.yahoo.com>

            > > Show your face in
            > >
            > > Messenger & more.
            > > Y! Messenger
            > >
            > > Instant
            smiles<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12h7213ph/M=493064.8985659.9760753.
            8674578/D=groups/S=1705079605:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1154689771/A=3848577/R=0/
            SIG=12e714ic8/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=42403/*http://messenger.yaho
            o.com/feat_photos.php>

            > > Share photos while
            > >
            > > you IM friends.
            > > Yahoo! Mail
            > >
            > > Drag &
            drop<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12htqbbmb/M=493064.8985657.9760727.86
            74578/D=groups/S=1705079605:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1154689771/A=3848571/R=0/SI
            G=12jar7gl1/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=42412/*http://advision.webeven
            ts.yahoo.com/handraisers>

            > > With the all-new
            > >
            > > Yahoo! Mail Beta
            > > Need to Reply?
            > >
            > > Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message
            in the
            > > Daily Digest.
            > > Create New Topic

            9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYwNQRzZWMDZnRy
            BHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzExNTQ2ODI1NzE->|
            > > Visit Your Group on the
            Web<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UMNLAW2009;_ylc=X3oDMTJkcTNrZzg0BF9T
            Azk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYwNQRzZWMDZnRyBH
            NsawNocARzdGltZQMxMTU0NjgyNTcx>

            JmOG5kdGNwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYw
            NQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNtc2dzBHN0aW1lAzExNTQ2ODI1NzE->|

            dTdsBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYwNQRzZW
            MDZnRyBHNsawNmaWxlcwRzdGltZQMxMTU0NjgyNTcx>|

            pxbTYyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYwNQRz
            ZWMDZnRyBHNsawNwaG90BHN0aW1lAzExNTQ2ODI1NzE->|

            Z2w2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYwNQRzZW
            MDZnRyBHNsawNsaW5rcwRzdGltZQMxMTU0NjgyNTcx>|

            Jka29nM2R2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYw
            NQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNkYgRzdGltZQMxMTU0NjgyNTcx>|

            N3VmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYwNQRzZW
            MDZnRyBHNsawNwb2xscwRzdGltZQMxMTU0NjgyNTcx>|

            bGo1amlvBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYwNQ
            RzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzExNTQ2ODI1NzE->|

            JldnY1ZGlvBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYw
            NQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNjYWwEc3RpbWUDMTE1NDY4MjU3MQ-->
            > > [image: Yahoo! Groups]

            kAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYwNQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNnZnAEc3RpbWUDM
            TE1NDY4MjU3MQ-->
            > > You are receiving a Daily Digest Change Delivery Settings

            9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYwNQRzZWMDZnRy
            BHNsawNzdG5ncwRzdGltZQMxMTU0NjgyNTcx>
            > > Visit Your Group

            3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE3MTcxNTEyBGdycHNwSWQDMTYwMDA3OTYwNQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsa
            wNocGYEc3RpbWUDMTE1NDY4MjU3MQ-->|
            > > Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>|
            Unsubscribe
            > > <UMNLAW2009-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>

          • David Biggs
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2006
              >This is what I got from it anyway.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.

              Nope - you're absolutely right.

              I talked to Mark just a little while ago about it.

              I'm in the process of shopping private loans.  *sigh*

              dab

              From what I understand, the GradPlus loan can be used up to what the