Scouts' Successful Ban on Gays Is Followed by Loss in Support

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2000

      August 29, 2000
      Scouts' Successful Ban on Gays Is Followed by Loss in Support
      By KATE ZERNIKE
      New York Times
      http://www.nytimes.com/library/national/082900scouts-contribute.html

      In the two months since the United States Supreme Court ruled that the Boy
      Scouts of America have a constitutional right to exclude gays, corporate and
      governmental support for the organization has slipped markedly.
      <SNIP>
      "Do we just cut off funding, and so hundreds of kids in Hartford aren't
      getting a program they so desperately need?" asked Susan Dunn, senior vice
      president of the United Way of the Capital Area. "Our mission is to serve
      our community, especially children. But it's also in our mission that we
      don't discriminate. That's where it becomes difficult."
      <MORE>

      http://profiles.msn.com